The Evil Empire!

Hey Kansas City! Hey Pittsburgh! Hey Cincinnati!

The Yankees with the world's largest payroll just won another World Series!

Too bad baseball isn't like football! At least in the NFL, revenue sharing and salary caps provide parity.

Party on, Kansas City, Pittsburgh & Cincinnati! Baseball is happy you have nice ball parks with plenty of good food to attract a crowd.

Quality baseball? That's not in the cards.

and yet MLB has given just as much variety in world series champions as the NFL has, ranging from the lowest payrolls to the highest.

The NBA has a salary cap and in the past 11 years or so the spurs or lakers have been in or won the championship every year except for 2 I believe
NBA has a soft cap and has FA, NFL has a hard cap and extremly limited FA.

BTW, football is losing the cap next year.

This new marlins management isn't that bad. They have tried in years past to put a winner on the field.

I remember when they threw big money on Delgado which they could barely afford to put a winner up there and fans still didn't come out.

They also make good trades...They got great value for Beckett and they got great value for Cabrera

Not only that, but they play their asses off even though no one comes out to watch.

They get performance out of no-namers. And they have a pretty good rotation, too.

When you think about it, they're perennial contenders but they fall flat in September. They're young and they can chase the Phils.

You're prob right about the transiency and the open stadium, what with the humidity and all. But don't go sit on the fucking beach in the humidity but complain about the stadium, only to come sit in the humidity when they make the playoffs.

That's the part I hate.
Do you believe they will keep any player once they hit the magic 6 years and free agency?

Can they AFFORD to? Revenue must look HORRIBLE.

This new marlins management isn't that bad. They have tried in years past to put a winner on the field.

I remember when they threw big money on Delgado which they could barely afford to put a winner up there and fans still didn't come out.

They also make good trades...They got great value for Beckett and they got great value for Cabrera

Not only that, but they play their asses off even though no one comes out to watch.

They get performance out of no-namers. And they have a pretty good rotation, too.

When you think about it, they're perennial contenders but they fall flat in September. They're young and they can chase the Phils.

You're prob right about the transiency and the open stadium, what with the humidity and all. But don't go sit on the fucking beach in the humidity but complain about the stadium, only to come sit in the humidity when they make the playoffs.

That's the part I hate.

trust me I know....I live about 15 min away from Landshark Stadium where the Marlins currently play...

first of all the Marlins got hosed on their contract playing there...they don't get any of the revenue from parking and only a small % of the revenue from the concessions sold. It's very sad.

South Florida is very spread out...If you don't have a car here you are dead. A lot of people complain that if you live in Homestead you don't want to drive 45 min north to the game.

Which to me is bullshit...I grew up in Staten Island...Yankee stadium wasn't a 10 minute trip...with traffic it took 45 min to an hour easy. I still went to 20+ games a year

Now they are putting the stadium in south miami where the old orange bowl stood. I think it's a bad location because you are really far from the west palm beach and northern broward crowd. We will see tho...the stadium itself will be beautiful tho...I will definately enjoy some games there

That's the part I hate.

trust me I know....I live about 15 min away from Landshark Stadium where the Marlins currently play...

first of all the Marlins got hosed on their contract playing there...they don't get any of the revenue from parking and only a small % of the revenue from the concessions sold. It's very sad.

South Florida is very spread out...If you don't have a car here you are dead. A lot of people complain that if you live in Homestead you don't want to drive 45 min north to the game.

Which to me is bullshit...I grew up in Staten Island...Yankee stadium wasn't a 10 minute trip...with traffic it took 45 min to an hour easy. I still went to 20+ games a year

Now they are putting the stadium in south miami where the old orange bowl stood. I think it's a bad location because you are really far from the west palm beach and northern broward crowd. We will see tho...the stadium itself will be beautiful tho...I will definately enjoy some games there

I didn't know that about the revenue situation, wow.

You don't have to tell ME about travel time. Takes me at LEAST an hour to get to a Phils game and I try to make at least 10/yr. Didn't make it to one game this year,our schedule was just way too full. It's tough when your girl is gone 75% of the time and you have a 2 year old to chase around and a 5 year old to take care of. There's no way I'm taking both of those kids to a game by myself with no help :lol:

I think Marlins will give Hanley big money because by the time he is ready to be let go their stadium will be just about complete and they will have bundles of cash coming their way...and to bring in the fans they would have to make their statement with locking him up

Andrew makes a point.

If they have a stadium coming, they better damn well put out some cash to fill the seats.

Business 101, pretty much.

The reason the Yankees go to the playoffs and get in the position to win the World Series so often is MONEY.....END OF STORY.They have a license to print money and they do. They are ALWAYS in the position to get the best players so forgive me if I don't all teary eyed when I see Joe Giradi talk about the reason he chose 27 as the number for his uniform. If I were a Yankee fan I would celebrate but I would keep it low key.

Last edited:
The reason the Yankees go to the playoffs and get in the position to win the World Series so often is MONEY.....END OF STORY.They have a license to print money and they do. They are ALWAYS in the position to get the best players so forgive me if I don't all teary eyed when I see Joe Giradi talk about the reason he chose 27 as the number for his uniform. If I were a Yankee fan I would celebrate but I would keep it low key.

crying-baby-party-56800676.jpg

We will celibrate any way we damn well please.

Save the loser's lament about money for someone else, NOBODY stops other owners who could buy and sell steinbrenner from doing the same.

We will celibrate any way we damn well please.

Save the loser's lament about money for someone else, NOBODY stops other owners who could buy and sell steinbrenner from doing the same.

Name the team that makes more money then the Yankees......

They make the most money because they reinvest the most money into their team...

Putting a winning product on the field year in and year out will generate continual interest in the team.

Are the Steinbrenners the richest owners in baseball?

no

I think the Twins owner Polad is the richest, and has Steinbrenner beat by a couple BIL.

But I last heard that like 2 years ago, so I don't if anything's changed.

Nothing has changed.

The cheapskates long ago brainwashed people into the 'we can't afford it like the Yankees' mantra and they repeat it now like its gospel.

Does anyone believe the universe gave the NY Yankees special dispensation to be the richest and most winning team in sports? Of course not, when Steinbrenner bought the team in 1973 he didn't even have the entire 10 million they cost, he had to have partners.

Over the next 35 years everytime NY made money Steinbrenner dumped it right back into the team, the result being full stadiums and huge TV ratings.

Any team that is willing to spend OVER TIME could do it.

Many owners try it and if they don't have instant sucess, they chicken out and go cheap.

You guys can pat yourselves on the back all you want but you can't change the fact that the Yankees being in a big market have access to a revenue stream that only a few teams have.I'm not saying the Yankees are doing anything wrong I'm just saying that they have a distinct advantage over most teams in baseball and they will always be the evil empire and to paraphrase many fans at the game a few nights ago.....
YANKEES SUK....YANKEES SUK......YANKEES SUK.......I hope I heard that right...YANKEES SUK....

Too bad baseball isn't like football! At least in the NFL, revenue sharing and salary caps provide parity.

Party on, Kansas City, Pittsburgh & Cincinnati! Baseball is happy you have nice ball parks with plenty of good food to attract a crowd.

and yet MLB has given just as much variety in world series champions as the NFL has, ranging from the lowest payrolls to the highest.

The NBA has a salary cap and in the past 11 years or so the spurs or lakers have been in or won the championship every year except for 2 I believe
I live in what is arguably the greatest sports city in America: Pittsburgh. And yet we have suffered through 17 consecutive losing seasons with the Pirates.

We support our major league franchises here like no other town. But inept ownership, low payroll and the goofiest trades in sports have left us with essentially a minor league baseball team. It's time to start winning again.

You guys can pat yourselves on the back all you want but you can't change the fact that the Yankees being in a big market have access to a revenue stream that only a few teams have.I'm not saying the Yankees are doing anything wrong I'm just saying that they have a distinct advantage over most teams in baseball and they will always be the evil empire and to paraphrase many fans at the game a few nights ago.....
YANKEES SUK....YANKEES SUK......YANKEES SUK.......I hope I heard that right...YANKEES SUK....
You mean the fans of the team that lost the World Series?

NY are the Champions.

Again.

Live it.

Learn it.

Accept it.

I live in what is arguably the greatest sports city in America: Pittsburgh. And yet we have suffered through 17 consecutive losing seasons with the Pirates.

We support our major league franchises here like no other town. But inept ownership, low payroll and the goofiest trades in sports have left us with essentially a minor league baseball team. It's time to start winning again.

Every year your owner gets a boat load of money from revenue sharing.

They let him get away with it because he gives contenders good players.

Forum List

Back