The € EURO thread

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Trajan, May 31, 2011.

1. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    there has been a lot going on already, and, lets be serious, a great deal more is to come soooooo instead of starting a thread every time the € has a bad day, eats its own, or some such junior calamity on the way to the cataclysmic calamity occurs, we can just post it here and take it all in like we are at the Imax ;)

so, I'll go first-

interesting blurb from the BI- I was wondering why they just didn't cut Greece loose now......right now, now I know, Eurobonds!!!!Hey don't shove..get back in line, theres debt enough to go round.

they plan on doing to the whole EU what our own did to us ( comparatively) , make us eat the banks failures ala our 401ks, etc. the whole EU not just the krauts (;)) will now get to pay to eat Greece like a buffett and the banks get to eat and walk away and leave the checks for the saps....:lol:

snip-

The reason leaders want to get Greece to the ESM stage is that it entails some sort of orderly restructuring of the country's debt, where private creditors will take part in the deal. There is the potential that the ESM could swap its debt to creditors in exchange for the sovereign debt they are holding. Essentially, that's a eurobond in exchange for a Greek bond, in everything but name. This has not yet been agreed to, and will likely garner significant political opposition.

Read more: The Real Endgame In Greece That European Leaders Are Privately Praying For

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
  2. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,712
    All the big money is going to be in a scramble to keep retail investors on board until they can cash out.

Greece shouldn't be bailed out right now. They broke the convenants on their last bail out. All this is doing is punting the problem down the road a couple of months.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,018
    The euro as we know it is finished. It is untenable.

Either the political structure has to change such that funds are constantly flowing from the north to the south or the weak countries will leave. There are no other options, unless the PIIGS are to become German copycats.

Its amusing when the market rallies "On a Greek bailout." How many times has that happened over the past year? Seven?

4. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    The symbol of the Euro is a crescent moon!

[​IMG]

5. Zander

Zander Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,851
    The impending Euro collapse is driving US Long bonds rates even lower. The yield for the 30 yr T-bond is down to 4.22 as of today.

PS- I was laughed at by Toro when I bought in Feb at 4.75. The fund has a duration of 20...do the math baby!!

6. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,018
    I didn't laugh. I may disagree but I don't laugh. I've been in the business too long to know that anything can happen. Last survey I checked had 97% of money managers bearish on Treasuries. And though I'm one of them, when that many are on one side of the boat, it gives me pause.

Anyways, the Europeans are doing their best to keep this game of three-card monty going.

EU Said to Consider Sweeteners to Encourage Greek Debt Extension - Bloomberg.com

7. Trajan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    I lauged..:eusa_whistle:....I laugh at you now, I scoff at you, I fart in your general direction...

( how was the Allen bros btw.?)

and don't be getting froggy....$998.00 baby...;)

8. Zander

Zander Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,851
    Down to 4.15 as of today.
    The steaks were stellar. I went with the "dry aged" - the porterhouses are 2" thick and OMFG good. Thanks for the heads up on them.

PS- they threw in 8 burgers with the order- and they were great too!

9. Trajan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    I didn't get my invite zander:eusa_whistle:

did you get any black truffle butter? duuude its like, well, its almost sexual.....

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  10. Zander

Zander Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,851
    Just razzing ya Toro- you're the consummate professional and I respect your opinion.