The enemy of greatness

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
. . . the enemy of greatness is not crap; the enemy of greatness is “very good.” You have to hammer, exhausted, through “very good” to get to greatness, according to Bono, as interviewed in the December 2022 issue of The Atlantic.

As a world-renown entertainer, Bono and his band U2 can easily measure greatness by critical and popular success. But how can the rest of us judge whether we have achieved greatness? Can we be “great” but never be acknowledged? Most of us would be flattered if we were simply acclaimed as “very good.”

. . . the enemy of greatness is not crap; the enemy of greatness is “very good.” You have to hammer, exhausted, through “very good” to get to greatness, according to Bono, as interviewed in the December 2022 issue of The Atlantic.

As a world-renown entertainer, Bono and his band U2 can easily measure greatness by critical and popular success. But how can the rest of us judge whether we have achieved greatness? Can we be “great” but never be acknowledged? Most of us would be flattered if we were simply acclaimed as “very good.”
When it comes to bands ... I can't think of one that pushed for perfection as much as Steely Dan.

As for greatness? I believe it's a combination of natural ability coupled with dedication, goal-setting, and very hard work.

65c020fbf52e49634f52fa3b04c68bbbffbd55000ac32d4a88d81d89fd82d309_1.jpg

When it comes to bands ... I can't think of one that pushed for perfection as much as Steely Dan.

As for greatness? I believe it's a combination of natural ability coupled with dedication, goal-setting, and very hard work.
Agreed, imo U2 was a good group that was hyped and over-rated. Steely Dan's music still amazes me, I can play a lot of music by ear, but Steely Dan songs? No way.

Forum List

Back