The End of the Christian Right

Time for the far right Christians here to realize what Ezekiel and Jeremiah realized: individuals' relationships with God not the deification of religious politics is what is required. Newt or Mitt or Barak are not going to fulfill you in your personal lives. Does not work that way religiously.

There are other contractual arraignments that can be made. But the convenience of the marriage contract has been established. Two consenting adults if only to keep the loonies from baying about marrying German Shepards or four year olds.

So you're restricting freedom for them then? Why do you draw a line? Does what you see as 'moral' compell you to make that line? So, you see those people as loonies, where as other people see gays as 'loonies'. What makes you right as opposed to them? Because you're promoting freedom and they're not? Yet you still have your own line?
I have always restricted the freedom of animals and children to enter legal contracts.

Good thing you don't need a legal contract to have sex. Or love.

I don't see gays as loonies. I see the lunacy in accepting same sex relationships as normal and rejecting their aberration. In THIS context. For purposes of THIS discussion. It is a distraction. There are too many fault lines for the nation to survive. It will crack along these lines and collapse whether or not any individual accepts or rejects the concept of homosexual relationships.

If someone looks at it realistically instead of wanting to impose their morality on others, it's obvious that the divisions have reached a point where compromise is impossible. If you want specifics and use same sex marriage, do it. There is no point on which there can be compromise on the issue of same sex marriage. It is a fracture that cannot be overcome.

That's the issue.
So, it's lack of tolerance, a stubborn need to oppress and a willingness to divide rather than accomodate.

Where do I sign up? Sounds like a great way to conduct a society (for some)!

Give it another 20 years, and they'll be as ineffectual in American politics as they are at controlling morality in the U.S.

Michael Kazin: The End Of The Christian Right | The New Republic

Key points...
the Christian Right is fighting a losing battle with the rest of the country—above all, when it comes to abortion and same-sex marriage, the issues they care most about. A strong majority of Americans backs abortion in the early months of a pregnancy.

Meanwhile, support for gay rights is rising, quite swiftly. Same-sex marriage tops fifty percent in some recent polls, and the remarkably placid response to New York’s recent legalization of the practice will make it easier for other states to follow suit. With over two-thirds of Americans now endorsing the end of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, the debate on that once controversial issue is now a matter for historians to analyze.

Put simply, the Christian Right is getting old. According to the largest and most recent study we have of American religion and politics, by Robert D. Putnam and David E. Campbell, almost twice as many people 18 to 29 confess to no faith at all as adhere to evangelical Protestantism. Young people who have attended college, a growing percentage of the population, are more secular still.

Last gasps of a dying subculture...

Give it a rest Koran-lover

I don't see gays as loonies. I see the lunacy in accepting same sex relationships as normal and rejecting their aberration. In THIS context. For purposes of THIS discussion. It is a distraction. There are too many fault lines for the nation to survive. It will crack along these lines and collapse whether or not any individual accepts or rejects the concept of homosexual relationships.

If someone looks at it realistically instead of wanting to impose their morality on others, it's obvious that the divisions have reached a point where compromise is impossible. If you want specifics and use same sex marriage, do it. There is no point on which there can be compromise on the issue of same sex marriage. It is a fracture that cannot be overcome.

That's the issue.
So, it's lack of tolerance, a stubborn need to oppress and a willingness to divide rather than accomodate.

It is a great way to destroy a society. And this one has had its day. We might survive if same sex marriage was the only division but it isn't. There are way more. All pointing in one direction. It's called cultural alienation. The opposing factions have absolutely nothing to do with one another, no points of interest and grow further and further apart each one striving for some kind of supremacy and the other not giving an inch until it all falls apart. It might be part of the natural life cycles of great nations, they all commit suicide. They rot from the individual citizens on up.

Time for the far right Christians here to realize what Ezekiel and Jeremiah realized: individuals' relationships with God not the deification of religious politics is what is required. Newt or Mitt or Barak are not going to fulfill you in your personal lives. Does not work that way religiously.

Are you high?

That's the issue.

The whole business of forcing illegal marriages down our throats isn't about providing "rights" to gays...they already have the same rights as everybody else.

It's about controlling the clergy. That's what it always comes down to with progressives. Control of the majority by an extremist minority.

You notice gays have NO problem whatsoever in imposing their views of morality on everyone else. We can't mention that.

As a matter of fact, they currently have MORE rights in my state.

I cannot add my stepson to my insurance without legal documentation that he is under my care and protection. That means his mother has to sign guardianship papers, or allow me to adopt him.

But if he were my same-sex (or opposite sex) "partner" no such documentation is needed.

Who has more rights here? Children or gays?

I remember notarizing a Domestic Partership agreement between a 45 year old man and an 18 year old young man to get the kid on the man's insurance through work. It was his son's best friend.

In this particular area, there is no point of compromise, one side or the other must prevail. Neither side will protect or defend the other. We have lost a thread of national kinship.

That's the issue.

The whole business of forcing illegal marriages down our throats isn't about providing "rights" to gays...they already have the same rights as everybody else.

It's about controlling the clergy. That's what it always comes down to with progressives. Control of the majority by an extremist minority.
Sorry. Homosexuals do not have the same rights as anyone else. They are excluded from accessing contract law.

And churches sanctify marriage. States issue the license.

You notice gays have NO problem whatsoever in imposing their views of morality on everyone else. We can't mention that.
As opposed to the modesty and discretion of American heterosexuals? Maybe your subscription to Penthouse has expired, but there's plenty of imposition of morality going on in the Heterosexual community.

As a matter of fact, they currently have MORE rights in my state.

I cannot add my stepson to my insurance without legal documentation that he is under my care and protection. That means his mother has to sign guardianship papers, or allow me to adopt him.

But if he were my same-sex (or opposite sex) "partner" no such documentation is needed.

Who has more rights here? Children or gays?
Insurance company regulations are NOT state law, are they?

I don't know...what state laws prevent gays from obtaining private insurance if they aren't married? I thought the whole "gay rights" thing was about gays being denied those privileges that are afforded non-gays.

Can you list them?

And it isn't GAYS who can't access contractual law, if what you are referring to is what I'm thinking it is. It's SINGLE people who can't access it.

Of course gays can, especially in California where there is no difference in the method or legality of ending such relationships. They can't access benefits under federal laws.

Which is neither here nor there. At least not for these purposes. The rightness or wrongness of same sex relationships is outside of and a distraction to the larger picture of there being no compromise on the issue no matter how much liberals want to browbeat everyone into acceptance.

It's one of the liberal mob slogans..."gay rights". It means nothing, and when you ask them to specify, they simply sink into further inane utterances...."contractual law!" "Oppression of the right!" ...which mean nothing...

Here is where Nosmoking goes off the road. Even if same sex marriage were legal today in all 50 states, the rift would still be there, and the nation would be driven further apart than ever. Same sex couples wouldn't get what they really want which is acceptance of normal behaviorl The fracture would remain, and the nation would be more unstable than ever. It certainly wouldn't mean that we aren't disintegrating, just more evidence that we are and it can't be stopped.

Same sex marriage would become like abortion. We've had abortion for more than 40 years, two generations. There's no indication that we are finding points of compromise and growing closer and stronger as a country.

Here is where Nosmoking goes off the road. Even if same sex marriage were legal today in all 50 states, the rift would still be there, and the nation would be driven further apart than ever. Same sex couples wouldn't get what they really want which is acceptance of normal behaviorl The fracture would remain, and the nation would be more unstable than ever. It certainly wouldn't mean that we aren't disintegrating, just more evidence that we are and it can't be stopped.

Same sex marriage would become like abortion. We've had abortion for more than 40 years, two generations. There's no indication that we are finding points of compromise and growing closer and stronger as a country.

That's because abortion was forced upon a majority that did not want it, via crooked judges who thought it was AOK to legislate from the bench.

And you're right. the same thing will happen with same sex marriage when it's forced upon a majority that doesn't want it.

Forum List

Back