How do you "just know?"

G.T.

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2009
Not a trick question - I'm being sincere. Me and the guy who hooked up my Verizon Fios were talking about this.

I was telling him that I'm just agnostic - I don't believe everything came from nothing but at the same time I'm not at all Religious.

He began to get into the Forgiveness thing.

I was like - well, I do my best (and even when noone's looking) to be a good person.....but if I continue down that path and can never get over the mental block of not having "faith," then I guess I'm doomed eh?

But the mental block won't ever go away. I know this because I know myself. I'd have to see some sort of miracle, and be able to somehow attribute that miracle to a Religion or whatever. I don't see this happening. How do you "just know?"

For me, "you don't."

I'm sure it's different for others.

Some of us are not sucked into the mass illusion and must be shown.
So far no show on the convincing of me there is anything beyond this life.

Not a trick question - I'm being sincere. Me and the guy who hooked up my Verizon Fios were talking about this.

I was telling him that I'm just agnostic - I don't believe everything came from nothing but at the same time I'm not at all Religious.

I was like - well, I do my best (and even when noone's looking) to be a good person.....but if I continue down that path and can never get over the mental block of not having "faith," then I guess I'm doomed eh?

But the mental block won't ever go away. I know this because I know myself. I'd have to see some sort of miracle, and be able to somehow attribute that miracle to a Religion or whatever. I don't see this happening. How do you "just know?"

For me, "you don't."

Faith is a very personal thing so I figure each believer will give you a different answer. I know why I believe, but I am not prepared to discuss it on the open board. You are very welcome to PM about it though.

Some of us are not sucked into the mass illusion and must be shown.
So far no show on the convincing of me there is anything beyond this life.

I was in College, and we all went to a Cemetary that was "supposedly" Haunted. It's called Pinewoods Cemetary, formerly Forest Park Cemetary.

There was about 14 of us.

We were all hanging out in the open, and decided to move the party to the Mauseleum(sp?) area.

As a group, we were walking across a big field, cut grass.

A friend and I were saying how Ghosts and stuff are bullshit, etc.

Then every single person in the entire group was witness to a pair of legs, glowing, running in front of us all and into the tree line. Actually glowing, like in the cheesey ghost movies. One drunk kid tried chasing them and got broke. They were roughly ten feet in front of us.

The group was giggley after that, as opposed to scared.

Years went by - the confidence in my actually ever having been there and seen that diminishing each day.

Then my sister (who I didn't realize was also there) brings it up recently out of no where.

This is one of three supernatural experiences in my life - and despite seeing the hard evidence I *still* have trouble believing in ghosts.

For me, "you don't."

When you were young, didnt you "just know" santa was real, and the easter bunny and tooth fairy were "real".... You believed ...you believed blindly because it was what your parents told you...

What changed your perception of "real" ...

Religion/god...is about the same thing.

For me, "you don't."

Faith is a very personal thing so I figure each believer will give you a different answer. I know why I believe, but I am not prepared to discuss it on the open board. You are very welcome to PM about it though.

I appreciate the offer. I'm just gunna keep it out here in the public for discussion though.

Simple... There are only 2 choices. You either believe or you do not believe.

I don't think I have any choice. If I say that I believe, I am faking it, and I didn't "choose" *not* to believe either. I just cannot.

When you were young, didnt you "just know" santa was real, and the easter bunny and tooth fairy were "real".... You believed ...you believed blindly because it was what your parents told you...

What changed your perception of "real" ...

Religion/god...is about the same thing. [/COLOR]

I'm positive at some point I believed in Santa, etc. but I also was a toddler and irrational about probably most things.

Rationalization - is probably what changed my perception of what's "real."

For me, "you don't."

You discuss religion with your cable guy?

For me, "you don't."

You discuss religion with your cable guy?

Look up what is a people person.

For me, "you don't."

You are told all your life that there is oxygen in the air and that we need it to live. You can't see, taste,smell or feel it, yet you know it is there, why? Faith. Same thing with religion. The Bible tells you what you need in reference to life here and ever after. Tells you what you need to do. Same thing here, FAITH. You can believe or not your choice. For me, it is clear. Hope this helps.

For me, "you don't."

You are told all your life that there is oxygen in the air and that we need it to live. You can't see, taste,smell or feel it, yet you know it is there, why? Faith. Same thing with religion. The Bible tells you what you need in reference to life here and ever after. Tells you what you need to do. Same thing here, FAITH. You can believe or not your choice. For me, it is clear. Hope this helps.

Actually, I can test the oxygen in the air.

For me, "you don't."

So you do "just know" that you don't know ;). See you already completely understand how that dude "just knows" what he knows.....

Sorry I couldn't resist

For me, "you don't."

So you do "just know" that you don't know ;). See you already completely understand how that dude "just knows" what he knows.....

Sorry I couldn't resist

It doesn't make sense - nice try though sir.

For me, "you don't."

My faith is always tested also.

My faith is always tested also.

That's the ambiguousness I was hoping to avoid. That's the ambiguousness that prompted this thread.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back