The end of smoking?

Seriously dude? You liberals made a more dangerous drug legal...and the bozo white house turned the other cheek...

I assume you're speaking about pot. If you think only liberals supported the legalization of recreational marijuana than you are living in fantasy world.

I had no idea what the fuck he was talking about. Cannabis isn't a "drug" anyway, let alone dangerous.

You mean Reefer Madness isn't a documentary?! I love nothing more than an unintentional satire. lol

People are clearly not smart of enough to make these decisions for themselves. That is why we need the government to step in and make the decisions for us. :rolleyes:

Umm... the point here isn't anything like that. Matter of fact when the legal system tries to legislate morality it usually backfires.

But your first sentence has a ring of truth, in that the masses are indeed gullible and easily led by manipulative advertising --- which is after all studiously designed to do exactly that. It's the only reason ridiculous concepts like taking a weed that's been sprayed with carcinogens and insecticides and wrapped in chlorine-whitened tree pulp, setting it on fire and inhaling the smoke, exists as a concept at all (along with shit like pet rocks, SUVs and chicken wings).

Mass indoctrination is a dynamic we ignore at our peril. But it's got nothing to do with the government.

Don't let your children and grandchildren be around dangerous, disgusting, and filthy people, for that is exactly what are smokers.

People are clearly not smart of enough to make these decisions for themselves. That is why we need the government to step in and make the decisions for us. :rolleyes:
agree with your sarcasam

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
Used to be non smokers were the outcasts

The end of smoking?

In the U.S., just 17.8 percent of the population smokes — a record low, and down from a peak of more than 50 percent in the 1950s. Punishing taxes, indoor-smoking bans, and gruesome ad campaigns have compelled smokers to quit at such a rate that Citigroup analysts predict their numbers could drop to nearly zero by 2050. This decline is largely the result of a remarkable change in public perception of smoking, which the tobacco industry had successfully portrayed as cool and rebellious — a mark of sophistication and maturity. Now smokers are largely pariahs, and smoking is widely seen as a dangerous, dirty, and disgusting habit. Fifty years ago, "everyone around me smoked," says photo developer Barry Blackwell, 60. "Everyone." Now, looking down on smokers is "one of the few socially acceptable prejudices left."

A success story this is, demonstrating that the way to effect a social change is not by passing laws to curb it, but by changing cultural values to discourage it. Cultural mores are FAR more effective than laws. That's why my focus on gun violence has always been to change the culture, rather than the laws --- because I want actual results.

It's also good to know we have an example of countering the powerful mind control effects of advertising -- which we still don't take seriously enough. Advertising (including the more insidious effects such as product placement in movies) created this monster... it's heartening to know it's not invincible.
No question our culture has turned against smoking. It used to be cool, all the movie stars smoked, all the cool kids smoked

Now they stand huddled up in the rain, trying to get that last drag

Pretty pathetic looking

Movie stars still smoke

I watch a lot of old movies from the 30s and 40s. The star would stop a scene right in the middle in order to light up a cigarette. One of the biggest product placements in history

Today, they rarely smoke during a movie

The end of smoking?

In the U.S., just 17.8 percent of the population smokes — a record low, and down from a peak of more than 50 percent in the 1950s. Punishing taxes, indoor-smoking bans, and gruesome ad campaigns have compelled smokers to quit at such a rate that Citigroup analysts predict their numbers could drop to nearly zero by 2050. This decline is largely the result of a remarkable change in public perception of smoking, which the tobacco industry had successfully portrayed as cool and rebellious — a mark of sophistication and maturity. Now smokers are largely pariahs, and smoking is widely seen as a dangerous, dirty, and disgusting habit. Fifty years ago, "everyone around me smoked," says photo developer Barry Blackwell, 60. "Everyone." Now, looking down on smokers is "one of the few socially acceptable prejudices left."

A success story this is, demonstrating that the way to effect a social change is not by passing laws to curb it, but by changing cultural values to discourage it. Cultural mores are FAR more effective than laws. That's why my focus on gun violence has always been to change the culture, rather than the laws --- because I want actual results.

It's also good to know we have an example of countering the powerful mind control effects of advertising -- which we still don't take seriously enough. Advertising (including the more insidious effects such as product placement in movies) created this monster... it's heartening to know it's not invincible.
No question our culture has turned against smoking. It used to be cool, all the movie stars smoked, all the cool kids smoked

Pretty pathetic looking

Movie stars still smoke

I watch a lot of old movies from the 30s and 40s. The star would stop a scene right in the middle in order to light up a cigarette. One of the biggest product placements in history

When was the last time you checked out a flick? The tobacco companies are still paying Hollywood to have their actors smoke in films. Maybe not as much as before, but it's still pretty prominent.

The end of smoking?

Pretty pathetic looking

Movie stars still smoke

Today one of the biggest problems on a set is the number of smokers and the number of breaks taken to accommodate them. Smoking became cool in Hollywood and now they can't get rid of it.

What I grew up with

Last edited:

The end of smoking?

Pretty pathetic looking

Movie stars still smoke

When was the last time you check out a flick? The tobacco companies are still paying Hollywood to have their actors smoke in films. Maybe not as much as before, but it's still pretty prominent.
Not even close. Not just movies but TV. The stars would all light up during a scene.

What I remember most was going to the movies and everyone in the theater smoking. You could see the stream of projection light through a cloud of smoke

The end of smoking?

Pretty pathetic looking

Movie stars still smoke

When was the last time you check out a flick? The tobacco companies are still paying Hollywood to have their actors smoke in films. Maybe not as much as before, but it's still pretty prominent.

I dunno what kind of payments are going on for that -- and product placement in general is certainly a thriving propaganda device --- but today the character that smokes is an underclass, lowlife or villain type. Used to be that smoking character was the hero, the guy who got the girl, or the Marlboro Man. That's what has changed.

Both of those associations had their effects. The older in the negative, the present in the positive.

Umm... the point here isn't anything like that. Matter of fact when the legal system tries to legislate morality it usually backfires.

But your first sentence has a ring of truth, in that the masses are indeed gullible and easily led by manipulative advertising --- which is after all studiously designed to do exactly that. It's the only reason ridiculous concepts like taking a weed that's been sprayed with carcinogens and insecticides and wrapped in chlorine-whitened tree pulp, setting it on fire and inhaling the smoke, exists as a concept at all (along with shit like pet rocks, SUVs and chicken wings).

Mass indoctrination is a dynamic we ignore at our peril. But it's got nothing to do with the government.

The point I am making this that nanny state government is utter hogwash. I already have a mother and even she doesn't tell me what to do anymore. lol. I know if I consistently eat foods riddled with trans-fat that I going to be a cow. I don't need the government to step in make these decisions for me. The idea of banning this vice or that vice bugs me.

Last edited:

Personally, I think if people are too stupid to make the decision not to smoke tobacco on their own, we should let Darwinism take its natural course, instead of making laws trying to protect these dunces and keep them around.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
What I grew up with

Watch what Mike Wallace (on left) does in the first 20 seconds of this clip. Nobody in 1959 would have even noticed, that's how much part of the wallpaper it was.

Now imagine somebody doing that today and the reaction it would get. That's social change.

Interestingly, his interview subject here, a brilliant writer/social critic, plopped over and died in his mid-40s while mowing his lawn. Smoking killed him.

The point I am making this that nanny state government is utter hogwash. I already have a mother and even she doesn't tell me what to do anymore. lol. I know if I consistently eat foods riddled with trans-fat that I going to be a cow. I don't need the government to step in make these decisions for me. The idea of banning this vice or that vice bugs me.

Fine --- but that's not the point of this thread at all.

Sometimes we get hung up on da big bad eebil gummint and completely ignore the far more insidious mind control tactics of Corporatia.

The end of smoking?

Pretty pathetic looking

Movie stars still smoke

Another thing you notice in old movies ---- if somebody walks into an empty room, especially their own home, the first thing they do is saunter over to the bar and make a drink. Strange times.

Forum List

Back