The end of smoking?

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Used to be non smokers were the outcasts

The end of smoking?

In the U.S., just 17.8 percent of the population smokes — a record low, and down from a peak of more than 50 percent in the 1950s. Punishing taxes, indoor-smoking bans, and gruesome ad campaigns have compelled smokers to quit at such a rate that Citigroup analysts predict their numbers could drop to nearly zero by 2050. This decline is largely the result of a remarkable change in public perception of smoking, which the tobacco industry had successfully portrayed as cool and rebellious — a mark of sophistication and maturity. Now smokers are largely pariahs, and smoking is widely seen as a dangerous, dirty, and disgusting habit. Fifty years ago, "everyone around me smoked," says photo developer Barry Blackwell, 60. "Everyone." Now, looking down on smokers is "one of the few socially acceptable prejudices left."

Seriously dude? You liberals made a more dangerous drug legal...and the bozo white house turned the other cheek...

Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.
Galatians 6:1

The end of smoking?

In the U.S., just 17.8 percent of the population smokes — a record low, and down from a peak of more than 50 percent in the 1950s. Punishing taxes, indoor-smoking bans, and gruesome ad campaigns have compelled smokers to quit at such a rate that Citigroup analysts predict their numbers could drop to nearly zero by 2050. This decline is largely the result of a remarkable change in public perception of smoking, which the tobacco industry had successfully portrayed as cool and rebellious — a mark of sophistication and maturity. Now smokers are largely pariahs, and smoking is widely seen as a dangerous, dirty, and disgusting habit. Fifty years ago, "everyone around me smoked," says photo developer Barry Blackwell, 60. "Everyone." Now, looking down on smokers is "one of the few socially acceptable prejudices left."

Good

Seriously dude? You liberals made a more dangerous drug legal...and the bozo white house turned the other cheek...

Banning smoking has had one of the largest public health impacts in our history

Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

Winston tastes good like a cigarette should

I'm not tempted by cigarettes. But for those who are - it is not something to look down upon them over although I see you are drawn to the idea, RW. You need Jesus. What will you do if you die in your sleep and have not repented of your sins and called upon Him for forgiveness and salvation? You will perish in hell for all eternity! How foolish! How senseless is it to go to a place Christ already paid the price to keep you out of - if only you would receive the free gift of salvation!

I'm not tempted by cigarettes. But for those who are - it is not something to look down upon them over although I see you are drawn to the idea, RW. You need Jesus. What will you do if you die in your sleep and have not repented of your sins and called upon Him for forgiveness and salvation? You will perish in hell for all eternity! How foolish! How senseless is it to go to a place Christ already paid the price to keep you out of - if only you would receive the free gift of salvation!
Jeri....get off it

Thank God for smoking bans. Why should I have to breath in cigarette smoke if I'm a non-smoker? I will say this though, I live very close to a high school and I see a lot of kids smoking, so I'm not sure if cigarette smokers are dying off.

I spent last weekend at a wedding in Oregon and a there were a group of five or six outside enjoying their smokes. I could not understand how any one could pay $6 a day for that habit but they happily do without complaint. $180 a month is a serious habit and making it even more costly by legislation, doesn't put a dent in the hardcore who have to have a smoke.

The end of smoking?

A success story this is, demonstrating that the way to effect a social change is not by passing laws to curb it, but by changing cultural values to discourage it. Cultural mores are FAR more effective than laws. That's why my focus on gun violence has always been to change the culture, rather than the laws --- because I want actual results.

It's also good to know we have an example of countering the powerful mind control effects of advertising -- which we still don't take seriously enough. Advertising (including the more insidious effects such as product placement in movies) created this monster... it's heartening to know it's not invincible.

Why have smoking rates dropped so dramatically?
Fewer teens are starting to smoke in the first place, which helps. But a wave of state and city smoking bans for indoor spaces, including offices, restaurants, and bars, have also made it increasingly inconvenient for existing smokers to light up outside the home. In the aftermath of those bans, a 2012 study showed, hospitalizations for heart attacks and strokes fell at least 15 percent. The public-smoking bans did not merely force smokers to light up at home, as many health officials first feared, but have actually encouraged large numbers to kick the habit entirely. The percentage of smoke-free homes in Minnesota, following bans on restaurant, bar, and workplace smoking, for example, grew from 64.5 percent in 1999 to 87.2 percent in 2010.

I assume you're speaking about pot. If you think only liberals supported the legalization of recreational marijuana than you are living in a fantasy world.

People are clearly not smart of enough to make these decisions for themselves. That is why we need the government to step in and make the decisions for us. :rolleyes:

The end of smoking?

A success story this is, demonstrating that the way to effect a social change is not by passing laws to curb it, but by changing cultural values to discourage it. Cultural mores are FAR more effective than laws. That's why my focus on gun violence has always been to change the culture, rather than the laws --- because I want actual results.

It's also good to know we have an example of countering the powerful mind control effects of advertising -- which we still don't take seriously enough. Advertising (including the more insidious effects such as product placement in movies) created this monster... it's heartening to know it's not invincible.
No question our culture has turned against smoking. It used to be cool, all the movie stars smoked, all the cool kids smoked

Now they stand huddled up in the rain, trying to get that last drag

Pretty pathetic looking

I assume you're speaking about pot. If you think only liberals supported the legalization of recreational marijuana than you are living in fantasy world.

I had no idea what the fuck he was talking about. Cannabis isn't a "drug" anyway, let alone dangerous.

The end of smoking?

No question our culture has turned against smoking. It used to be cool, all the movie stars smoked, all the cool kids smoked

Now they stand huddled up in the rain, trying to get that last drag

Pretty pathetic looking

Movie stars still smoke

Forum List

Back