The Do-Nothing Congress Democrats Loved

Flanders

ARCHCONSERVATIVE
Sep 23, 2010
The Peace Corps is back in the news although it is not the kind of rah-rah coverage one of the most detestable federal programs usually gets in the MSM. A wag might even call it the Piece Corps:

The Peace Corps’ inspector general says she can’t oversee the agency properly without access to sex-assault records it refuses to hand over. Why won’t the Peace Corps comply?

The Peace Corps’ internal watchdog is publicly criticizing the agency for not releasing sexual assault records, which they say is disrupting oversight of an agency that has struggled in the past to protect its volunteers.

It’s a worrisome charge, leveled at one of America’s most storied programs by its own inspector general, and is just the latest episode for an organization roiled by exposés about the deaths of its volunteers abroad and the inadequacy of its sexual assault practices.

The Peace Corps' Awful Secret
Tim Mak

The Peace Corps? Awful Secret - The Daily Beast

This is not the first time raping Peace Corps women hit the news:

Two years ago the left launched a major assault on Haliburton over its mishandling of two sexual assault cases by or against its civilian contractors. Al Franken successfully introduced a bill to bar defense contracts from going to companies who behave likewise. Left wing media boasted that they were the defenders of rape victims, while Republicans support rape.

Now for the 50th anniversary of the Peace Corps, it’s been revealed that over a 1,000 female volunteers have been raped in the last decade. Numbers that are positively 9/11 in scope. And that the idealistic Peace Corps leadership acted like the evil Haliburton leadership, blaming the victims and discouraging them from seeking legal action. There are no cries that Democrats support rape. No bills to defund the Corps, that awkward legacy of New Frontierism. This time it’s Republicans like Ileana Ros-Lehtinen stepping up to demand accountability. And it’s the Democrats who are standing in the way.

Liberalism’s Rape Corps
By Daniel Greenfield Sunday, May 15, 2011

Liberalism?s Rape Corps

Lori Ziganto also crashed the Peace Corps’ birthday bash:

That great lefty favorite, the Peace Corps, just had a 50th birthday! You can tell, because it’s demanding presents. The Lefties who totally love conscience-salving stints in third world countries rejoiced and then swiftly returned to their soy lattes and organic arugula. Senator Harry Reid issued a breathless, sycophantic statement in which he, being Harry Reid, couldn’t resist making things up, pouting and petulantly trying to cling to funding.

“However, I’m deeply discouraged that Republicans have proposed slashing significant funding for a program that trains workers for a 21stcentury global economy, builds good will around the world and promotes public service. Instead of reducing the effectiveness of a highly cost-effective program, we should cut government spending in a smart, responsible way that targets waste and excess while keeping our economy growing.”

Of course, he had nothing to say in response to charges that perhaps the Peace Corps isn’t so peaceful. At least not for the women who were raped – and then blamed for being raped - during their stints in the corps. No ado was made about the House hearing on Wednesday investigating the same either, nor the legislation proposed by Congressman Poe (R-TX) that would require some Peace Corps oversight. In fact, the New York Times reported that Democrats wished to, as always, sweep such things under the rug in fear that their precious funding might be lost:

The Peace Corps at 50: What’s a Little Rape, Murder, and Brutalization of Women Between Friends?
Posted by Lori Ziganto
By Lori Ziganto (Diary) | May 13th, 2011 at 01:02 PM

The Peace Corps at 50: What's a Little Rape, Murder, and Brutalization of Women Between Friends? | RedState

It seems that whenever Congress sets out to save the world every pervert who isn’t already on a government payroll is hired for the newest Democrat program. The Peace Corps is now 53 years old; so just imagine how many sick freaks are hiding in welfare state bureaucracies that came along after 1961?

I would not say airport screeners were saving the world, but the message is clear: Get a government job and you can practice your perversion without fear of being punished.

I shudder when I think about the number of sadistic perverts who will end up being paid tax dollars “caring” for the sick once HillaryCare II is fully implemented. The worst of it is that government unions covering ACA employees will give sexual predators more protection than the Peace Corps gives to its deviates because there is so much more money involved. Let’s face it, every child molester in the country is lining up for a government job where they can get their hands on children knowing they won’t be punished if they get caught molesting a child. Never mind being punished, it won’t be reported.

Coerced versus Voluntary

The line between volunteer and coercion is the true debate. Volunteering to help others through private charities where donations are voluntary is fine in itself —— putting additional hundreds of thousands of parasites on the federal payroll and calling it “volunteering” is a national disgrace.

The Peace Corps has been a coerced-charity fraud from the day JFK and Congress created it. I’ve always said that JFK’s oft-quoted line is doublespeak for:

“My fellow Americans, ask not what your government can do for you —— ask what you can do for your government.”

The fact is: Peace Corps parasites do for themselves while everybody else is supposed to do for the government.

I believe that the Peace Corps was the first coerced charity the public was forced into accepting; i.e., pay “volunteers” with tax dollars. “Volunteer” organizations like Americorps is also paid tax dollars. That’s in addition to the countless domestic and foreign charities American taxpayers are forced to fund.

A stint in the Peace Corps guaranteed patronage from leading Democrats after volunteers returned from saving the natives in Third World villages. Looking at today’s world according to UN charity hustlers, poverty is increasing, illiteracy is rampant as is disease, hunger, and brutality. The world can hardly be called peaceful.

Question: How much good did the Peace Corps do in Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador? Answer: Not much if the invasion of illegal aliens is any guide.

So what the hell did Peace Corps volunteers accomplish other than documenting their own touchy-feely credentials in order to enhance their résumés?

AmeriCorps is another fraud that pays sharpshooters to do good. The program serves no useful purpose, but it does give the hustlers cover when they join the ranks of touchy-feely parasites at the public trough.

AmeriCorps is the domestic counterpart of that International fraud —— the Peace Corps. The worst kind of bums “volunteered” —— but they did volunteer! This excerpt could be said about JFK’s Peace Corps:

. . . signing up for AmeriCorps is, for many, akin to a paid internship.

This excerpt about Congress rang a bell for me:

While they are destroying the nation’s financial future with one trillion-dollar bailout after another, they have the gall to lecture young people about their obligations to the government.

National Disservice
President Obama’s feel-good draft
James Bovard

National Disservice | The American Conservative

Incidentally, good old Colin Powell is a cheerleader for AmeriCorps.

The Peace Corps has always been a pathetic joke that did more harm than good. The only good I ever saw in that garbage bureaucracy was getting Peace Corps types out of the country for a while. They all want to save the world, but not enough to work at it full-time in Third World countries. It’s a pity Peace Corps volunteers do not leave for good.

Hell, if Peace Corps types leave for good the rest of us would be ahead of the game giving them a yearly stipend equal to three times the yearly income of an average Third World citizen. They should be able to live quite well with that kind of a guaranteed income. Of course, that’s not good enough. They want to do a year or two lording their “compassion” over the Third World poor who despise them anyway —— then come home to ticker tape parades.

Patrons

Most Peace Corps volunteers only join to enhance their liberal résumés when they apply for lifetime tenure at the public trough. I’ve heard of patrons of the arts, but guaranteed patronage from leading Democrats after a volunteer returned from saving the natives in a Third World village was a new one on me.

Bill Moyers pioneered the charity patronage field. He served as the Peace Corps’ associate director of public affairs in 1961; then as deputy director from 1962 to 1963. No living in Third World mud huts for our Bill. He went from the Peace Corps to working for his longtime patron, LBJ, as special assistant from 1963 to 1967; doubling as press secretary from 1965 to 1967.

I’ll wager that when young Bill hooked up with the Peace Corps he said he “wanted to give something back.” I can’t say how successful he was at giving anything back. Thanks in large part to Public Television he became a multi-millionaire. To Peace Corps graduates like Bill Moyers peace truly means piece —— as in a piece of the public purse.

Looking at today’s world according to UN charity hustlers, poverty is increasing, illiteracy is rampant as is disease, hunger, and brutality. So the world can hardly be called peaceful. Question: Exactly what the hell did Peace Corps volunteers accomplish other than documenting their own touchy-feely credentials in order to enhance their résumés? By the way, when a Muslim soldier, or a Chicom, comes to kill you don’t send for the Marines, send for the Peace Corps.

Go global

The phrase “International community” was never used in connection to the Peace Corps, yet all of the “world saving” the Peace Corps claims credit for is International in nature.

The money, and the will, is available in this country to fund necessary government including defense; so it is not fair, or constitutional, to tax wage earners and homeowners in order to fund coerced charities when those tax dollars should stay in America.

The Chain That Binds

The XVI Amendment is still the strongest chain binding individual liberties. The final step in forcing individuals to do as they are told goes far beyond paying taxes on income. Should you read the articles I’ve quoted you will see that the government has been angling towards compulsory national service for a long time.

Taqiyya the Liar is not solely responsible for “involuntary service.” Democrats and RINO were calling for compulsory national service several years ago:

Who could argue with so noble an idea as “national service?” On the surface, the idea is irresistible. By persuading people, especially youths, to voluntarily devote a portion of their lives to cleaning up city streets, working in homeless shelters, or mentoring children, to name a few worthy activities, we can convey moral responsibility to the next generation, broaden human experience, and make a positive difference in communities across America.

Underlying such noble intentions, however, is the reality that the track record of service programs has been less than stellar. And more problematic, “voluntary” service, as supporters themselves have admitted over the years in unguarded moments, contains more than a whiff of compulsion. That’s why, if fully realized, national service programs would capture an enormous portion of the entry-level labor market and, worse, militarize our national identity.

Such concerns weren’t in evidence at the April 21 signing ceremony of a bill, co-sponsored by Senators Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., and Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, to commit $5.7 billion over eight years to reauthorize and dramatically expand the AmeriCorps volunteer service program, among other initiatives. The measure, known as the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act, had passed the House and Senate in late March by respective 275-149 and 79-19 margins after relatively sparse debate. The original House version, the Generations Invigorating Volunteerism and Education Act (GIVE), was led by Democrats George Miller (Calif.) and Carolyn McCarthy (N.Y.), and Republicans Howard “Buck” McKeon (Calif.) and Todd Platts (Pa.).

“We need your service, right now, in this moment of history,” said President Obama in an urgent tone. “I’m asking you to stand up and play your part. I’m asking you to help change history’s course.” Senator Kennedy, speaking in support of the legislation bearing his name, announced, “Today, another young president has challenged another generation to give back to their nation,” a reference to his late brother, John F. Kennedy, who as president in 1961 prodded Congress into creating the Peace Corps.

National Service: Now Bigger Than Ever
Carl Horowitz
Saturday, May 02, 2009

National Service: Now Bigger Than Ever - Carl Horowitz - Page 1

Nothing frosted me more than a filthy Irish drunk telling me what my morality should be. Ted Kennedy devoted his adult life to slaughtering children in the womb. Kennedy dying in 2009 was about five decades too late as far as I was concerned. Later on I did shed a tear for the dead drunk because he was not around to ask if he supported Kermit Gosnell and continued funding for Planned Parenthood.

Finally, the last time the Republicans had the White House and Congress they did absolutely nothing of value. That was truly a do-nothing Congress that Democrats adored. Should Republicans get it all in 2016 I do not expect them to shutdown the countless programs that are destroying this country. Still, I must continue to hope that conservatives will stiffen Republican backbones enough for them to at least shutdown the Peace Corps and Americorps.

Last edited:

I believe that the Peace Corps was the first coerced charity the public was forced into accepting; i.e., pay “volunteers” with tax dollars. “Volunteer” organizations like Americorps is also paid tax dollars. That’s in addition to the countless domestic and foreign charities American taxpayers are forced to fund.

XXXXX

AmeriCorps is another fraud that pays sharpshooters to do good. The program serves no useful purpose, but it does give the hustlers cover when they join the ranks of touchy-feely parasites at the public trough.

Since I cannot post the complete article I’ll rest my case on these few excerpts:

AmeriCorps consists of 75,000 members ( who collect up to $17,800 a year in salary and education benefits for laboring on social, environmental, education and other projects authorized by the agency headquarters.

XXXXX

AmeriCorps often sends its members to fill voids created by other government defaults. Thousands of AmeriCorps members are busy attempting to teach reading to young children -- a task for which public schools already spend billions. Thanks to Obama's My Brother's Keeper initiative, AmeriCorps is partnering with the Justice Department to enroll and mentor "disconnected youth" -- the same task for which the Job Corps was created 50 years ago.

XXXXX

The Obama administration is sending AmeriCorps members into immigration courts to help the recent flood of unaccompanied young illegal aliens avoid deportation.

XXXXX

Congress recently enacted a law prohibiting federally-funded food stamp recruiting but AmeriCorps continues paying scores of members to entice people onto the dole. AmeriCorps, along with USDA, is bankrolling the National Anti-Hunger and Opportunity Corps whose primary goal is "increasing participation" in food stamps. Joel Berg, the director of that program, pockets a six-figure salary while issuing apocalyptic statements about America's injustice to the poor.

XXXXX

After 20 years, AmeriCorps continues to be little more than social work tinged with messianic delusions. It is time to draw the curtain on AmeriCorps' "body count" benevolence.

AmeriCorps at 20 is a wasteful flop: Column
James Bovard 12:59 p.m. EDT September 12, 2014

AmeriCorps at 20 is a wasteful flop Column

Forum List

Back