the death penalty

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wyomingpatriot, Oct 12, 2010.

1. wyomingpatriot

wyomingpatriot Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37
    i dont't have an exact link, because it's all well-known news, but why don't we just kill the two scumbags in massachusetts, you know, the ones that broke into the doctor's home and molested an 11 year old girl, raped his wife and other daughter, before setting fire to the house and in the process killing two of those four victims? why can't we just kill the two lower-than-life forms that did this? i don't condone torture, i'm just saying they should be tied up to a pole and incinerated.
    instead they'll live for years at the least, probably twenty, with taxpayers paying their daily fee (more than staying a five star hotel, mind you), until theyre finally allowed to be executed. what's wrong with us? why don't we just have a mandatory death sentence in place for such scum, and also any sex offender? why can't we just kill them? why is it that a pedophile that gets online and lures 13 year old boys into his sickness gets essentially a slap on the wrist? he should be put to death automatically and summarily
    the death penalty is a valid and historically trusted system, it just needs to be more efficient.

2. wyomingpatriot

wyomingpatriot Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37
    why did we allow ted bundy to rot on death row in florida for 10 years when he was obviously guilty? why will gary ridgeway sit in a cell for a hundred years till he dies with 3 square meals a day? this system needs to become more efficient. what are you're suggestions, people? why can't we just put a bullet in the back of the head of anyone convicted of sexually abusing a child, for example?

3. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,849
    Only one person has been convicted in the first trial. I do not believe in the death penalty. Personaly I think it is too easy an out for the convicted. Death is better than life in jail. Until the US can impose a death penalty that is fairly carried out, no one should be executed. Take for example Texas, you have people being executed in 2 years while others have been on death row for 20 years. The difference is simply when they were sentenced. If you were sentenced before a certain date then you have more appleals etc.

The Death Penalty: Specific Issues

above is an excellent source of links on both sides.

I would rather see killers in Super Max units where they simply have no human contact. They are in a cell, they are moved by a system of locked doors, they are fed thru slots. No need to expose anyone to the dangers of being around them. After all, once you are sentenced to life there is no reason not to try to kill again.

4. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,849
    Killing sexual abuser is a hard debate. If you are going to execute sexual abusers then there in no reason for the abuser not to kill the child.

5. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    I believe strongly in the death penalty and feel it should be used more often in this country when it is warranted. However, I do feel that before a person is put to death that it should be absolutely certain that the person being put to death committed the crime. If there is the slightest amount of doubt, the person should get life in prison without parole while awaiting a new trial to obtain all of the facts and determine actual quilt. Once found guilty, and there is no doubt of that guilt, then the person should be put to death within 3 months. Hanging around for years before being put to death is a needless expense.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    That's the trouble. It's extremely hard to be certain. A crapload of cases just got reversed when new DNA evidence was introduced.

While I don't have a problem with offing a vile scumbag that should never be let loose on society again. We'd better be dead certain that person being executed really committed the crime.

7. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    It must not be well known news because I haven't heard of this happening in Massachusetts.

8. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Not as hard today as it used to be... with the amount of DNA evidence, scientific evidence, and improved investigation techniques...

And I fully support that a sane society eliminates it's maniacal murderers... and I would conclude any asshole that would murder a child is maniacal... as to opening it up as a punishment for child molesters... I would be open to such a punishment option... and no, I do not think it would lead to more murders of the children being molested, as these fuckers have zero regard for the children to begin with

9. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Not as hard as it use to be does not mean absolute certainty. And there are alot of procedural issues. Those people that got their decisions reversed, had that happen not because the government kept on searching for the truth..it was because law students did.

We are up there with China in the number of people we execute. And some of those people may well have been innocent.

10. Revere

Revere BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +415
    You would not need to try them for murder if you merely kept them in prison for the crimes they previously committed.

The outrage is too little, too late.