The Death of "Superman"

hylandrdet

Oct 5, 2004
Tennessee
Christopher Reeve was more than just an actor, he was the very symbol of what was wrong with our domestic polices. He made it a point to remind us that each and every american is one freak accident away from having to rely on the government to support us.

Here he was, a rich and sucessful actor; taking his time in selecting the roles he wants to play, while taking time off to have fun with his wife and children. Everything was perfect; the ideal wife, the ideal children, the ideal lifestyle. Then one day he decides to step outside and go for a ride on his favorite horse... A simple decision a ultimatey cost him his life.

Christopher Reeve's efforts to push for stem cell research was extrordinary. He didn't flip/flop on his position; the government DOES have an obligation to help those who cannot help themselves, medically as well as financially.

The anger I feel from his death lies within the fact that most of our medical and financial programs are being delayed or stopped; primarly out of paranoid politics.

Welfare- Are the applicants "con artists"?
Food Stamps- Are they taking food out of my mouth?
Universial medicare- Will I get incompetent treatment?
Stem cell research- The next "1984"?
Marijuana research- A win for the Drug Dealers?
Human organ cloning- The breeding of the "ultimate race" of humans?

I have some bad news for you; these programs are running right now in various countries. To have the most advanced nation on earth, the United States, not at the forefront of all of these programs, makes me sick to my stomach.

Learn from the death of "Superman" and make the right choices in November. Remember, you are one accident away...

See you at the big house Superman.

hylandrdet said:
Christopher Reeve was more than just an actor, he was the very symbol of what was wrong with our domestic polices. He made it a point to remind us that each and every american is one freak accident away from having to rely on the government to support us.

Here he was, a rich and sucessful actor; taking his time in selecting the roles he wants to play, while taking time off to have fun with his wife and children. Everything was perfect; the ideal wife, the ideal children, the ideal lifestyle. Then one day he decides to step outside and go for a ride on his favorite horse... A simple decision a ultimatey cost him his life.

Christopher Reeve's efforts to push for stem cell research was extrordinary. He didn't flip/flop on his position; the government DOES have an obligation to help those who cannot help themselves, medically as well as financially.

The anger I feel from his death lies within the fact that most of our medical and financial programs are being delayed or stopped; primarly out of paranoid politics.

I have some bad news for you; these programs are running right now in various countries. To have the most advanced nation on earth, the United States, not at the forefront of all of these programs, makes me sick to my stomach.

Learn from the death of "Superman" and make the right choices in November. Remember, you are one accident away...

The government also has a responsibilty to protect the rights of babies !

First, it disgusts me when people like you use the recently dead or even the long dead to push a political agenda. not as much as it does when said dead people vote but thats another issue.

Second, President Bush has been the first President to allow federally funded stem cell research. What the heck do you people want? we arent going to start growing people in a bottle to kill them and experiment. if we did that wed be no better than the nazi scientists.

hylandrdet said:

And exactly what would you have us learn? Seems to me that you feel that your beloved liberals are the key to the solution. Strange, isn't it, that after eight years of corruption under Billary Clinton, no progress was made toward stem cell research, yet you would have us believe that this is all the fault of those evil Republicans.

Please, if you're going to try to blow smoke up my ass, at least put a little effort into it. It is insulting that you would think that we are so stupid as to accept your half-assed diatribe as having merit.

Merlin1047 said:
And exactly what would you have us learn? Seems to me that you feel that your beloved liberals are the key to the solution. Strange, isn't it, that after eight years of corruption under Billary Clinton, no progress was made toward stem cell research, yet you would have us believe that this is all the fault of those evil Republicans.

Please, if you're going to try to blow smoke up my ass, at least put a little effort into it. It is insulting that you would think that we are so stupid as to accept your half-assed diatribe as having merit.

Well stead. this is about as dumb as trying to blame Republicans for the draft legislation when a Democrat proposed it and only Democrats voted for it. While our current secretary of defense took a vital part of eliminating the draft. yet we are supposed to be afraid of Republicans reinstituting the draft...right. Glad most of the people ive talked to about it realize that its Democrats doing it and have turned them off to the left.

I find it so amazing that Bush had done more thinks in his four years then Clinton did with 8 and yet somehow life was great under Clinton and hell under Bush. i havent figured out how to draw the conclusions they are.

hylandrdet said:

I have bad news for you; you're facts are lacking and your taste is questionable at best. The man has barely left this earth and you are already using his death to promote a politcal agenda. Disgusting.

Christopher Reeve, on many occasions, had given both parties permission to exploit his death, under the condition that it will lead to more government sponsored programs for medical research.

The doctors had told him that unless he gains a significant recovery of his body, he will not live beyond ten years. He knew that he was a dying man; that explains his tireless efforts in pushing forward his political agenda.

In short, he donated his "death" to the advancement of medical science.

My posting was based on what I believe was his last will in testament; to bring this issue to the forefront of our domestic agenda. I feel no guilt; I truly believe that this action was exactly what he wanted to see happen.

What's truly disgusting is that you conservative are trying to put a political spin on what he wanted us to do. It is you conservatives, who live in the glass houses and are launching stones with a catapult.

Please shut your pie holes; I did not say anything that Christopher Reeve would had contradicted. He wanted us to fight on; that is exactly what I'm going to do.

hylandrdet said:
Christopher Reeve, on many occasions, had given both parties permission to exploit his death,
Prove it.

hylandrdet said:
He knew that he was a dying man; that explains his tireless efforts in pushing forward his political agenda.
Prove it. Prove it was a 'political' agenda, not a bio-ethics agenda.

hylandrdet said:
My posting was based on what I believe was his last will in testament; to bring this issue to the forefront of our domestic agenda.
Unless you are his Attorney or his Family, I'd doubt you are privy to Mr. Reeve's last will.

hylandrdet said:
What's truly disgusting is that you conservative are trying to put a political spin on what he wanted us to do. It is you conservatives, who live in the glass houses and are launching stones with a catapult.

Until you can prove Chris Reeve wanted his Death as a voice to bash George Bush, your opinion on this topic is worthless.

hylandrdet said:
Please shut your pie holes; I did not say anything that Christopher Reeve would had contradicted. He wanted us to fight on; that is exactly what I'm going to do.

Translation: I want to rant, and those who dissagree with me will be 'shouted down'.

As I said in another thread, my father became paralyzed in 1986 in a bicycle accident. He was not as severely injured as Christopher Reeve, but still is paralyzed from the chest down.

Christopher Reeve could have quit living after his accident. He simply could have curled up and died. He chose not to. He chose to use the time, time he almost certainly knew was limited to fight for a cure for paralysis. Christopher Reeve should be remembered both as an artist and as an activist.

acludem

hylandrdet said:
Christopher Reeve, on many occasions, had given both parties permission to exploit his death, under the condition that it will lead to more government sponsored programs for medical research.

The doctors had told him that unless he gains a significant recovery of his body, he will not live beyond ten years. He knew that he was a dying man; that explains his tireless efforts in pushing forward his political agenda.

In short, he donated his "death" to the advancement of medical science.

My posting was based on what I believe was his last will in testament; to bring this issue to the forefront of our domestic agenda. I feel no guilt; I truly believe that this action was exactly what he wanted to see happen.

Rather than go into a rant about what a huge load of crap your post is, I'm going to do what should be done when someone with the class Christopher Reeve had leaves us. This is something nobody that knows you will have to worry about doing.
------------------

This is a time we should reflect on the life of a good man, and Christopher Reeve was a good man and a fine actor. The courage he showed in the face of adversity was inspiring, while it was also frustrating to see a man who was so healthy and full of life become so dependent.

History will smile on Christopher Reeve. I'm sure if he were able to tell us, he would let us know that if his name were going to be "used", use it to inspire others, give people hope, and promote unity. Not promote bias political agendas or be hateful while doing it. I'm quite sure he would have nothing to say about anyone's pie hole.

Guilt? Trying to bring guilt on the cold hearted is pointless.

I'm sure Christopher would do nothing to contradict anything I've said, either.

Read this please
Marc Buoniconti: Reeve's work must be continued
By Mark Pak, USA TODAY
Marc Buoniconti's fight to find a cure for paralysis has taken a major hit in the wake of Christopher Reeve's death.
Buoniconti, paralyzed in a 1985 college football game, worked closely with Reeve to raise money for The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis.

"He has made such a tremendous impact," Buoniconti said. "He has certainly left some large footsteps to follow in."

Reeve was chairman of the board of the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation and a major advocate for spinal cord injury research. The CRPF, which is the result of a merger between the Christopher Reeve Foundation and the American Paralysis Association in 1999, has provided more than $42 million in grants to research institutions since 1982. The Miami Project has received more than $2 million in funding from Reeve and his foundation, Buoniconti said.

Buoniconti and the former Superman star were kindred spirits. Reeve was paralyzed after a horse-riding accident in 1995. Buoniconti was injured after making a tackle in a football game for The Citadel.

Hall of Fame linebacker Nick Buoniconti has championed a movement to find a cure for paralysis since his son's injury. He helped create The Miami Project and set up The Buoniconti Fund to Cure Paralysis, which donates money raised from high-profile events. One of those events, the annual Great Sports Legends Dinner, has raised more than $23 million and has featured stars Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan and Jack Nicklaus.

"Since my injury, the whole sporting world has really rallied around my dad's call," Buoniconti said. "Let's not let (Reeve's) spirit die. We need to pick up the slack.

"We owe him the respect to continue to do what we do."

As a relative of a diabled person, I know what Nick Buoniconti's going through; can you day the same? I'm not going to dignify any more of these "political" accusations with answers. However, I am open to discuss the issue of stem cell research and other programs that you WILL NEED should you find yourself in this situation.

"Empathy is the official emotion of a truly wise man. Listen and show sensitivity to what is being said first before responding. After all, a person who says something stupid is not as foolish as the person whose response is of equal value. " - hylandrdet

acludem said:
As I said in another thread, my father became paralyzed in 1986 in a bicycle accident. He was not as severely injured as Christopher Reeve, but still is paralyzed from the chest down.

Christopher Reeve could have quit living after his accident. He simply could have curled up and died. He chose not to. He chose to use the time, time he almost certainly knew was limited to fight for a cure for paralysis. Christopher Reeve should be remembered both as an artist and as an activist.

acludem

even in disagreement, that is what we must always remember

hylandrdet said:
As a relative of a diabled person, I know what Nick Buoniconti's going through; can you day the same?

Don't assume anything about me, you don't know me. To answer that question, as a matter of fact I do. What I don't do is sit like a vulture waiting for someone to drop so I can show my total lack of tact and respect.

You could have at least waited until the man was layed to rest.

"Don't assume anything about me, you don't know me. To answer that question, as a matter of fact I do. What I don't do is sit like a vulture waiting for someone to drop so I can show my total lack of tact and respect.

Do you know what it's like to change a person's tube; here, let me show you.

The trach tube must be guided into the person's lungs. The guide device is designed in a manner in which the guide line clogs up the airway; the purpose of this is to insure that the equipment is in its proper position so that the paralyzed person can breathe. In layman's terms, you will have to watch the person choke as you try to change his/hers' tube; this is a ritual he'd went though, three times a week, for the remaining days of that his life.

"You could have at least waited until the man was layed to rest."

Are you saying that I should wait until my RELATIVE is layed to rest???!!!!!

I am not a vulture; I am simply carrying out his last wish; to keep pressure on our president or OUR FUTURE PRESIDENT

"Superman stood for truth, justice and the American Way. I believe in only two of those three ways. I stand for truth and justice; it's the american way I question. I believe that a person's right to speak out against their government is just as patriotic as a person who speaks out for their government."- Christopher Reeve's response to NBC's Katie Kuric as to his comparison to him and Superman

hylandrdet said:
"Don't assume anything about me, you don't know me. To answer that question, as a matter of fact I do. What I don't do is sit like a vulture waiting for someone to drop so I can show my total lack of tact and respect.

Do you know what it's like to change a person's tube; here, let me show you.

The trach tube must be guided into the person's lungs. The guide device is designed in a manner in which the guide line clogs up the airway; the purpose of this is to insure that the equipment is in its proper position so that the paralyzed person can breathe. In layman's terms, you will have to watch the person choke as you try to change his/hers' tube; this is a ritual he'd went though, three times a week, for the remaining days of that his life.

"You could have at least waited until the man was layed to rest."

Are you saying that I should wait until my RELATIVE is layed to rest???!!!!!

I am not a vulture; I am simply carrying out his last wish; to keep pressure on our president or OUR FUTURE PRESIDENT

"Superman stood for truth, justice and the American Way. I believe in only two of those three ways. I stand for truth and justice; it's the american way I question. I believe that a person's right to speak out against their government is just as patriotic as a person who speaks out for their government."- Christopher Reeve's response to NBC's Katie Kuric as to his comparison to him and Superman

You haven't payed attention to a damn thing I've said. I obviously was talking about Christopher Reeve, but in your need to justify being an ass, you have to make yourself look like a victim. My problem is with the fact that Reeve's pulse had barely stopped before you jumped on this board with your crap.

You want to try "carrying out his last wish", good for you. Try doing it without being such a jackass.

Jimmyeatworld said:
You haven't payed attention to a damn thing I've said. I obviously was talking about Christopher Reeve, but in your need to justify being an ass, you have to make yourself look like a victim. My problem is with the fact that Reeve's pulse had barely stopped before you jumped on this board with your crap.

You want to try "carrying out his last wish", good for you. Try doing it without being such a jackass.

I don't see why carrying out Reeves last wishes is somehow analogous to voting Democrat. President Bush is the first President to fund stem cell research. And regardless simply because President Bush doesnt pour more money into it doesnt mean private companies wont fund their own research. The Democrat position assumes that Government is the only entity that can bring to life these discoveries which is totally BS.

I see why carrying out Reeves last wishes is somehow analogous to voting Democrat. President Bush is the first President to fund stem cell research. And regardless simply because President Bush doesnt pour more money into it doesnt mean private companies wont fund their own research. The Democrat position assumes that Government is the only entity that can bring to life these discoveries which is totally BS.

True. In that sense, it is much like people saying President Reagan "ignored AIDS". The fact of the matter is there was 5.7 billion dollars put toward AIDS during the Reagan administration, which is more federal funds than was put toward any other desease at that time. I suppose that is another thread on another topic, but it just brings it to mind.

Jimmyeatworld said:
Don't assume anything about me, you don't know me. To answer that question, as a matter of fact I do. What I don't do is sit like a vulture waiting for someone to drop so I can show my total lack of tact and respect.

You could have at least waited until the man was layed to rest.

It's easy for you to say that to me; now try saying that to Arnold Swarzenegger.

Thank you "Terminator" for picking up the flag that "Superman" had dropped. I can assure you that Jimmyeatworld will thank you later.

To Arnold :bow2:

Forum List

Back