The dead internet theory - is this possible?

ThisIsMe

Gold Member
Dec 16, 2017
I like watching this channel, he is entertaining. He basically covers conspiracy theories and other strange things, but how he does it is, he explains the theory, then goes back and shows how it was all debunked, or, if there is any truth to it, he explains that too.

However, this one isn’t one that he debunks, but rather, gives some interesting takes on what may be happening with the internet, or what we think about the internet.

Also, is this what musk was concerned with when he was negotiating on buying Twitter? When he was talking about how many bot accounts there were?

Give it a watch:

I like watching this channel, he is entertaining. He basically covers conspiracy theories and other strange things, but how he does it is, he explains the theory, then goes back and shows how it was all debunked, or, if there is any truth to it, he explains that too.

However, this one isn’t one that he debunks, but rather, gives some interesting takes on what may be happening with the internet, or what we think about the internet.

Also, is this what musk was concerned with when he was negotiating on buying Twitter? When he was talking about how many bot accounts there were?

Give it a watch:

So disappointed this thread wasn't about Geocities. That place rocked. (well not really but the idea was pretty cool at least).

Doesn't matter that much if bot content exists as long as it appeals to what inclinations you have--be it rage or something touchy-feely. Comradery with a machine is at least more predictable than it is with another carbon-based life form.

So disappointed this thread wasn't about Geocities. That place rocked. (well not really but the idea was pretty cool at least).

Doesn't matter that much if bot content exists as long as it appeals to what inclinations you have--be it rage or something touchy-feely. Comradery with a machine is at least more predictable than it is with another carbon-based life form.
True, but I was more interested in the fact that they theorize that 50% of online content is AI created, with the purpose of keeping you occupied.

Also, that most comments are also AI generated. Makes you wonder how many here on USMB are bots. There was a poster awhile back named Saltydancin who I’m sure was a bot, it would make posts, but they were often just rambling and strange.

And, I’ve also been curious about the implications of deep fakes. I mean, they are good now….VERY good. That one of Tom cruise is spot on. I’m sure we will see, eventually, deep fakes of politicians….even presidents, that will be of concern for the statements they will be made to say.

True, but I was more interested in the fact that they theorize that 50% of online content is AI created, with the purpose of keeping you occupied.

Also, that most comments are also AI generated. Makes you wonder how many here on USMB are bots. There was a poster awhile back named Saltydancin who I’m sure was a bot, it would make posts, but they were often just rambling and strange.

And, I’ve also been curious about the implications of deep fakes. I mean, they are good now….VERY good. That one of Tom cruise is spot on. I’m sure we will see, eventually, deep fakes of politicians….even presidents, that will be of concern for the statements they will be made to say.

I don't think many are. Though I am reasonably certain that some here are posting from a timezone near the Russian border.

We had a surge of folks join right after the Ukrainian invasion by Russia. And they started with pro-Russia propoganda, and call for Biden to be tried for crimes against Russia.

I am guessing that the laws will change to remove first amendment protections for deep fakes.

The bots thing generally doesn't bother me so much. Years ago I was a member at a site that had a huge outflow of members when people found out that the owners were basically cloning posts from members at the site to create content at several other sites they owned. Basically they set it up so posts in certain threads at one site by real people would automatically appear on the same topic thread at other sites under different user names. Basically they were manufacturing the appearance of traffic and membership to be able to sell ads on those other sites. I really don't see a lot of difference between these sorts of things and astroturfers (which I was banned from reddit for repeatedly calling out their astroturfers and undisclosed bots that were clearly being monetized by reddit)

I am guessing that the laws will change to remove first amendment protections for deep fakes.

The bots thing generally doesn't bother me so much. Years ago I was a member at a site that had a huge outflow of members when people found out that the owners were basically cloning posts from members at the site to create content at several other sites they owned. Basically they set it up so posts in certain threads at one site by real people would automatically appear on the same topic thread at other sites under different user names. Basically they were manufacturing the appearance of traffic and membership to be able to sell ads on those other sites. I really don't see a lot of difference between these sorts of things and astroturfers (which I was banned from reddit for repeatedly calling out their astroturfers and undisclosed bots that were clearly being monetized by reddit)
Yep, that is covered in this video. He says that money is the reason behind it all. Clicks on ads to generate revenue, and that means the advertisers are paying for bot traffic, not actual people viewing their ads

Forum List

Back