The 'Dangerous' Faith of President Bush

Bonnie said:
As exampled by the comment that Christian majority representation in governemnt equates to Tyranny by majority?

That's not what I said. I asked a question.

Here's another one:

If California passes laws that allow same-sex marriage and abortion? It would be the will of the people in the state of California. Would you have no problems with it? Roe v Wade challenged Texas state law. Would you let the will of the electorate in California choose abortion rights? Or would you want judicial review by federal justices? (Bush's if he wins the election)

Bush espouses the virtue's of state's rights one time, federal amendments or judicial review another. Whatever it takes to implement his religious beliefs.

ajwps said:
So you are interested in promulgating that Bush is driven by only his faith. Are you saying that Bush should be driven by Islam or some form of self-serving interests based upon anything but that what is right and what is wrong for the people of the United States?

John Kerry is for religion in his leadership before he changed his mind and now is guided by immorality.
I will try to say it again;
I w a s s i m p l y s t a t I n g a f a c t t h a t h a s b e e n c o v e r e d I n t h e m e d i a a s t o w h y s o m e p e o p l e h a v e a p r o b l e m w i t h Mr. Bush and his faith. That was the topic of this thread. Do you want to try and fit a few more paragraphs into my mouth. Try not to read into simple statements

shadrack said:
That's not what I said. I asked a question.

Here's another one:

If California passes laws that allow same-sex marriage and abortion? It would be the will of the people in the state of California. Would you have no problems with it? Roe v Wade challenged Texas state law. Would you let the will of the electorate in California choose abortion rights? Or would you want judicial review by federal justices? (Bush's if he wins the election)

Bush espouses the virtue's of state's rights one time, federal amendments or judicial review another. Whatever it takes to implement his religious beliefs.

Just so we are clear here...Are you advocating an anything goes government without any moral compass at all?

dilloduck said:
People who have no means of realizing a sense of personal well being in universal eternity must attack those who do or even claim they do. It is a threat to their very core fears of separation, aloneness, death and non-existence. These people MUST refute and demonize those who have made personal existential resolutions or face a fear that they are too frightened to. They turn into clingers (I like to call em Klingons for kicks) to defend themselves. Immediate gratification, materialism, and remote causes become the means for them to attempt avoid the unavoidable. Saving a whale or a tree becomes snake-oil disguised as an elixer. I'd feel sorry for em but it would be a waste of emotion. Hopefully they'll come around on their own.

Nice stereotype

Christian speculation on why others "fail" at achieving what is considered to be the obvious solution to all societal ills.......everyone who doesn't believe as you do are incompetent failures......nice.

Couldn't that stereotype also be applied to the religious. Just change a few words.

dilloduck said:
Don't bitch AJ or we won't send you any more bombs :p:

Do you mean 'those bombs' Israel will use to do what the USA is asking of Israel to destroy threats to Europe, Israel and America?

Yeh, don't send any more bombs.

White knight said:
I will try to say it again;
I w a s s i m p l y s t a t I n g a f a c t t h a t h a s b e e n c o v e r e d I n t h e m e d i a a s t o w h y s o m e p e o p l e h a v e a p r o b l e m w i t h Mr. Bush and his faith. That was the topic of this thread. Do you want to try and fit a few more paragraphs into my mouth. Try not to read into simple statements

Correct very simple statements.

Bonnie said:
Then what is your criteria for actually making judgements as to what is right or wrong?????

What would you purpose Bonnie?

Perhaps we should enforce Hindu values and send Mcdonalds out of buisiness. I'm sure it would solve the obessity problem.

Perhaps our moral guidlines should be the morality of the people. People dont just vote for representatives they vote on individual issues and whether to reform previous votes. This would be hard to run and organize.

Perhaps we should just surrender to the Tarsiers and bow to our simian overlords.... jk

deaddude said:

Perhaps we should enforce Hindu values and send Mcdonalds out of buisiness. I'm sure it would solve the obessity problem.

Perhaps our moral guidlines should be the morality of the people. People dont just vote for representatives they vote on individual issues and whether to reform previous votes. This would be hard to run and organize.

Perhaps we should just surrender to the Tarsiers and bow to our simian overlords.... jk

Perhaps our moral guidelines should be the morality of the people................Where exactly do these guidelines come from??? Which people?

deaddude said:

If the majority of people agreed then why not? The government is supposed to represent the will of the people. But as a majority people would have no problem with Mcdonalds i dont see any fear of it. id have no problem with a hindu politician supporting legislation he found important because of his faith. Why should i? if his constitutents disagreed they simply choose not to elect him.

haha well i dont think id bow very easily. im stubborn that way

Bonnie said:
Perhaps our moral guidelines should be the morality of the people................Where exactly do these guidelines come from??? Which people?

The people that vote on the issues as I mentioned above. Where do their morals come from? No idea.

Bonnie said:
Then what is your criteria for actually making judgements as to what is right or wrong?????

I don't know exactly what you mean by criteria......

Debate would be my answer if I understand your question.

For starters keep a wall of separation between church and state so there can be debate. You can't argue with a person who holds "inarguable truths". Truths must be held to the scrutiny of experience. A person who believes an egg is infused with a soul at conception is not discussing experience but the metaphysical. You can believe it, but another may not. Their belief may be different.

Debate to the point of consensus. That is what legislators do(try). That is what philosophers do. Sometimes there is no real consensus. There are many dilemas where there is no "right" answer. The "prisoner dilema" is a fine example. Society must work together to try to avoid dilemas. The more closely members of society work together instead of working to prove their righteousness, the better off we'll all be.

Bonnie said:
Your a smart person figure it out :D

Very well, let’s go about it logically. I made two statements in my post

The people that vote on the issues as I mentioned above. Where do their morals come from? No idea.

The people that vote on the issues as I mentioned above.

Where do their morals come from? No idea.

One of which proved your point. I believe we can discount the first since as I made that statement in a previous post on this thread and I would have proved you point then.

So we are left with the second statement

Where do their morals come from? No idea.
From this statement I can see two possible points proven

1. I was incapable of finding where the morals came from and am therefore an idiot

This can be discounted because you admitted my formidable intellect
Bonnie said:
Your a smart person figure it out :D

2. That it is impossible to determine where morality comes from
I agree with this point

So after much logical conjecture I conclude that it is the second point that I proved and will now test my hypothesis by reviewing your previous posts.

deaddude said:
Very well, let’s go about it logically. I made two statements in my post

One of which proved your point. I believe we can discount the first since as I made that statement in a previous post on this thread and I would have proved you point then.

So we are left with the second statement

From this statement I can see two possible points proven

1. I was incapable of finding where the morals came from and am therefore an idiot

This can be discounted because you admitted my formidable intellect

2. That it is impossible to determine where morality comes from
I agree with this point

So after much logical conjecture I conclude that it is the second point that I proved and will now test my hypothesis by reviewing your previous posts.

Sounds good to me :thup:

Forum List

Back