The "cracker counties"?!?!?!

It really doesn't matter what it means elsewhere since it has a specific meaning in Florida and it was being used to reference Florida.

Yeah - but how is a guy in New York City watching MSNBC supposed to know all this? If he's only familiar with the more widely known racist definition (which I am guessing would be the majority of people in this country), couldn't this newscaster's comments be viewed as "racist" ?
Only if he meant them to be racist.

You know there are people in this nation who have lost jobs and been absolutely crucified by liberals for using the word "niggardly" which is not in any way, shape, or form related to the racial slur "ni**er". They got nailed to the proverbial cross for simply using a word that sounds like a racial slur even though it isn't. That's fine...but using a word on a national broadcast that anyone outside of a specific population and even the dictionary says is a racial slur should be ignored.

Unfuckingbelievable hypocrisy.

So, when one hears a black person calling another black person "******," or hears that offensive word used repeatedly in rap "music," should one assume they may use the term openly and not offend anyone, because that's what black people are known as amongst themselves?

It really doesn't matter what it means elsewhere since it has a specific meaning in Florida and it was being used to reference Florida.

Yeah - but how is a guy in New York City watching MSNBC supposed to know all this? If he's only familiar with the more widely known racist definition (which I am guessing would be the majority of people in this country), couldn't this newscaster's comments be viewed as "racist" ?

Oh bullshit. Do you seriously believe that Gingrich referring to Obama as the "food stamp President" is intended to be racist? If so, you are out of your ever-loving mind. Yet he sure takes a lot of heat about how racist he apparently is because of that statement, huh?

If I were to stand before my class and use the word "ni**er" even in reference to what someone else said, or a historical context I'd be fired on the spot even if I was not intending it to be directed at anyone or in any intentionally racist way.

Intent doesn't mean a damned thing in this ultra-politically correct society.

oh and let's not forget all the racist attacks on Rick Perry because the word "niggerhead" was written on a rock on land he didn't own, he didn't write, and he had painted over. But because it was even there at all and Perry happened to hunt there, and you could kinda sorta see it through the paint Rick Perry is immediately an unapologetic racist.

But "cracker counties"....hey....no problem. Who the hell are you kidding?

Northern Floridians have always been known as crackers. Something to do with cattle whips. None of them think it's a racial slur.

Tissue?

My dear - the Florida Cracker Trail is a route which cuts across southern Florida. It is the historic trail of the old cattle drives.

Cracker is indeed a pejorative term for whites.
Nope. Actually it refers to native (OMFG another racist term) Floridians. There's even a Cracker festival in Homestead.

I myself am a Florida Cracker.

:thup:

It is usually considered (if you live in South Florida) that the crackers live Orlando and north but that simply isn't true.

There are also Georgia Crackers but of course since they are Georgians they totally SUCK.

South Florida is not Southern, Its south Ny & NJ. :razz:

You know there are people in this nation who have lost jobs and been absolutely crucified by liberals for using the word "niggardly" which is not in any way, shape, or form related to the racial slur "ni**er". They got nailed to the proverbial cross for simply using a word that sounds like a racial slur even though it isn't. That's fine...but using a word on a national broadcast that anyone outside of a specific population and even the dictionary says is a racial slur should be ignored.

No one has gotten fired for using the word niggardly.

Northern Floridians have always been known as crackers. Something to do with cattle whips. None of them think it's a racial slur.

Tissue?

My dear - the Florida Cracker Trail is a route which cuts across southern Florida. It is the historic trail of the old cattle drives.

Cracker is indeed a pejorative term for whites.
Nope. Actually it refers to native (OMFG another racist term) Floridians. There's even a Cracker festival in Homestead.

I myself am a Florida Cracker.

:thup:

It is usually considered (if you live in South Florida) that the crackers live Orlando and north but that simply isn't true.

There are also Georgia Crackers but of course since they are Georgians they totally SUCK.

South Florida is not Southern, Its south Ny & NJ. :razz:. We in the "real" Florida moved the state line to just east of Tallahassee.

So, when one hears a black person calling another black person "******," or hears that offensive word used repeatedly in rap "music," should one assume they may use the term openly and not offend anyone, because that's what black people are known as amongst themselves?

The history of the two terms is so vastly different that it is just a dumb comparison.

Oh bullshit. Do you seriously believe that Gingrich referring to Obama as the "food stamp President" is intended to be racist? If so, you are out of your ever-loving mind. Yet he sure takes a lot of heat about how racist he apparently is because of that statement, huh?

If I were to stand before my class and use the word "ni**er" even in reference to what someone else said, or a historical context I'd be fired on the spot even if I was not intending it to be directed at anyone or in any intentionally racist way.

Intent doesn't mean a damned thing in this ultra-politically correct society.

I never claimed, nor do I believe, that Newt was being racist. And I would have no problem with a word being used in a historical context or referring to what someone else said.

"One Broward County drug counselor has been fired and another suspended for an incident in which an "N-word" was used. Not necessarily "the N-word," but a word that might have been mistaken for it.

The two sanctioned workers told investigators the word was "niggardly." That word, meaning miserly, is of Scandinavian origin and has nothing to do with race, says an attorney for one of the disciplined workers."

Mayo column: Broward County sanctions two drug counselors for using word "niggardly" - Sun Sentinel

"The mayor said that an internal review had "confirmed for me that Mr. Howard did use the word 'niggardly,' but did not use a racial epithet" during a Jan. 15 discussion with two employees of the Office of the Public Advocate. "Niggardly" means miserly and has no racial connotation.

Williams said that one of the employees, identified by Howard as Marshall Brown, interpreted Howard's remark as a racial slur. Brown has declined to comment on the incident."

Howard was forced to resign as a result.

Washingtonpost.com: D.C. Mayor Acted 'Hastily,' Will Rehire Aide

"A fourth-grade teacher at Williams Elementary School has received a formal reprimand for teaching her students the word "niggardly," the teacher's son said Tuesday.

Last week, teacher Stephanie Bell said she used the word "niggardly," which means stingy or miserly, during a discussion about literary characters. But parent Akwana Walker, who is black, protested the use of the word, saying it offended her because it sounds similar to a racial slur.....The letter said it would go in Ms. Bell's personnel file within five days, Mr. Bell said. It also gave Ms. Bell the option of responding and said failure to comply with the directives in the letter, which included sensitivity training, would lead to further action, he said."

http://www.starnewsonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Site=WM&Date=20020904&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=209040302&Ref=AR&Profile=1004&template=printart

Shall I go on?

I never claimed, nor do I believe, that Newt was being racist. And I would have no problem with a word being used in a historical context or referring to what someone else said.

Ahhhh but that's YOU. You know good and damned well that Gingrich has been throttled over charges of racism, as has Perry, and even Romney not because they actually said or did something racist but because they were using...ahem...."racist code". Now I didn't say that you specifically make such outlandish charges, but a hell of a lot of liberals do, particularly the liberal media and I hope you are not going to even try to deny that.

My point is very simple here. There is a double standard within the media and with liberals when it comes to racism. Something a Republican says, even when it's not even related to anything racist at all, is simply "racist code". But a liberal using a word that is overwhelming considered to be a racial slur is perfectly acceptable. That's hypocrisy.

"One Broward County drug counselor has been fired and another suspended for an incident in which an "N-word" was used. Not necessarily "the N-word," but a word that might have been mistaken for it.

The two sanctioned workers told investigators the word was "niggardly." That word, meaning miserly, is of Scandinavian origin and has nothing to do with race, says an attorney for one of the disciplined workers."

Mayo column: Broward County sanctions two drug counselors for using word "niggardly" - Sun Sentinel

"The mayor said that an internal review had "confirmed for me that Mr. Howard did use the word 'niggardly,' but did not use a racial epithet" during a Jan. 15 discussion with two employees of the Office of the Public Advocate. "Niggardly" means miserly and has no racial connotation.

Williams said that one of the employees, identified by Howard as Marshall Brown, interpreted Howard's remark as a racial slur. Brown has declined to comment on the incident."

Howard was forced to resign as a result.

Washingtonpost.com: D.C. Mayor Acted 'Hastily,' Will Rehire Aide

"A fourth-grade teacher at Williams Elementary School has received a formal reprimand for teaching her students the word "niggardly," the teacher's son said Tuesday.

Last week, teacher Stephanie Bell said she used the word "niggardly," which means stingy or miserly, during a discussion about literary characters. But parent Akwana Walker, who is black, protested the use of the word, saying it offended her because it sounds similar to a racial slur.....The letter said it would go in Ms. Bell's personnel file within five days, Mr. Bell said. It also gave Ms. Bell the option of responding and said failure to comply with the directives in the letter, which included sensitivity training, would lead to further action, he said."

http://www.starnewsonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Site=WM&Date=20020904&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=209040302&Ref=AR&Profile=1004&template=printart

Shall I go on?
In the first instance, the claim was that the guy called someone "****** dumb"

In the second, the person was rehired.

Ahhhh but that's YOU. You know good and damned well that Gingrich has been throttled over charges of racism, as has Perry, and even Romney not because they actually said or did something racist but because they were using...ahem...."racist code". Now I didn't say that you specifically make such outlandish charges, but a hell of a lot of liberals do, particularly the liberal media and I hope you are not going to even try to deny that.

My point is very simple here. There is a double standard within the media and with liberals when it comes to racism. Something a Republican says, even when it's not even related to anything racist at all, is simply "racist code". But a liberal using a word that is overwhelming considered to be a racial slur is perfectly acceptable. That's hypocrisy.

Look up the thread, dude. A republican referred to Floridians as crackers, too, and no one is melting down over it.

Look up the thread, dude. A republican referred to Floridians as crackers, too, and no one is melting down over it.

I guess some people act like you represent all Libs only when it suits their purpose...

In the first instance, the claim was that the guy called someone "****** dumb"

In the second, the person was rehired.

Well that was the claim. But "In an investigative report, the county's professional standards office said it couldn't conclude which derogatory racial term was said..." and "The two sanctioned workers told investigators the word was "niggardly."

So there was no evidence that the guy used a racial slur and two people said the word was actually "niggardly" yet he was fired anyhow.

And it matters not whether the second guy was rehired...he was still fired to begin with.

No he ought to have his ass kicked too

Forum List

Back