The "cracker counties"?!?!?!

I don't give two shits what ANYONE says. The level of stupid is WAY higher in the South than any other part of the country.

(Read what I said before you respond)

I don't give two shits what ANYONE says. The level of stupid is WAY higher in the South than any other part of the country.

I don't think any one part of the country is better than any other part. What is stupid IMO is thinking your better than everyone else based on geography and not based on what the individual offers. If NLT thinks he's better than me and my family members and friends who live in the section of FL East of Talahassee, that's his opinion and he's entitled to it. Unfortunately for him it doesn't make his assumption of me, my family and the good hard working folks East of Talahassee a correct one. I don't have time for snobbery.

Last edited:
I used to prefer to be called honky.

Honk on this.

Honk my bobo.

Last edited:

Thank you for illustrating the bigotry so evident here. The term "cracker" has two distinct origins. In FL and South GA, it was a reference to nineteenth century cattle drivers, when cattle ranching was widespread in those areas. Elsewhere in the deep South, it was a slave reference to plantation overseers, who were usually lower-class white men (what has been termed "cracker culture" in the South is in fact a reference not to the culture of "Massa" but to that of "Massa's" white overseer). In either event the term referred to working class(typically uneducated)whites. Much like the term "redneck", which enjoys a similar etymology and usage, it is a term which largely continues to be used in a broader and derogatory sense as a synonym for "White Southerner".

Yes, we in the South know you Damnyankees are all smarter, better educated and otherwise superior to us, as you remind us daily. We know all the stereotypes, because you remind us of those too. We know what you think. WE DON'T CARE! If you don't like Southerners, and the South, just stay away. We wouldn't want you brilliant, sophisticated, oh-so-superior Yankees, exposed to us; goodness knows what you might catch! Don't go away mad, just......go away.

So "the Food Stamp President" is racist even though no one made any reference to food stamps and race except the Democrats (who apparently assume that the only people on food stamps are black) yet on MSNBC an analyst refers to northern Florida as "the cracker counties" and no one blinks an eye.

You just gotta love liberal hypocrisy.

MSNBC/Politico Bigots Call Florida Panhandle 'Cracker Counties' - YouTube

On MSNBC, Politico’s Jonathan Martin Refers to Florida Panhandle as ‘Cracker Counties’ - Big Journalism

Bullshit ! Newt said blacks should be mad about being on food stamps and then called Obama the foodstamp president.

Thank you for illustrating the bigotry so evident here. The term "cracker" has two distinct origins. In FL and South GA, it was a reference to nineteenth century cattle drivers, when cattle ranching was widespread in those areas. Elsewhere in the deep South, it was a slave reference to plantation overseers, who were usually lower-class white men (what has been termed "cracker culture" in the South is in fact a reference not to the culture of "Massa" but to that of "Massa's" white overseer). In either event the term referred to working class(typically uneducated)whites. Much like the term "redneck", which enjoys a similar etymology and usage, it is a term which largely continues to be used in a broader and derogatory sense as a synonym for "White Southerner".

Yes, we in the South know you Damnyankees are all smarter, better educated and otherwise superior to us, as you remind us daily. We know all the stereotypes, because you remind us of those too. We know what you think. WE DON'T CARE! If you don't like Southerners, and the South, just stay away. We wouldn't want you brilliant, sophisticated, oh-so-superior Yankees, exposed to us; goodness knows what you might catch! Don't go away mad, just......go away.

I like Southerners just fine, some of my family live in the South and love it. My Great Aunt Betty was from the TN born and raised.

But WTF? The War has been over 150 years, get over it already. North vs South is childish and ass backwards thinking. The North isn't Superior and the South isn't stupid or vice versa, we are all Americans,end of story. I also notice that you didn't say anything about NLT's comment/bait about people East of Talahassee. Why not?

So "the Food Stamp President" is racist even though no one made any reference to food stamps and race except the Democrats (who apparently assume that the only people on food stamps are black) yet on MSNBC an analyst refers to northern Florida as "the cracker counties" and no one blinks an eye.

You just gotta love liberal hypocrisy.

MSNBC/Politico Bigots Call Florida Panhandle 'Cracker Counties' - YouTube

On MSNBC, Politico’s Jonathan Martin Refers to Florida Panhandle as ‘Cracker Counties’ - Big Journalism

Bullshit ! Newt said blacks should be mad about being on food stamps and then called Obama the foodstamp president.

ok perhaps you can provide the link to evidence to back that up...and I mean where he just came out and made such a statement that was not in response to a set up question from a liberal journalist.

Even assuming you are correct. So what? Any clip I have heard on the issue was him making the point that poor people (not specifically blacks) need jobs not welfare and even if he did, again, so what? The poverty rate, the unemployment rate, the rate of incarceration for victimless crimes (which is essentially an economic issue), etc within the black community is far above the national average. You would think that the black community might say "wow, finally someone who is interested in helping us address these issues."

I like Southerners just fine, some of my family live in the South and love it. My Great Aunt Betty was from the TN born and raised.

But WTF? The War has been over 150 years, get over it already. North vs South is childish and ass backwards thinking. The North isn't Superior and the South isn't stupid or vice versa, we are all Americans,end of story. I also notice that you didn't say anything about NLT's comment/bait about people East of Talahassee. Why not?

Because thats where all you yankees live, Jeez Violet lighten up. Its an old Floridian Joke.

Last edited:
Because thats where all you yankees live, Jeez Violet lighten up. Its an old Floridian Joke.

Oh...I don't know. I have spent some quality time in the deep south. My mother-in-law is from Georgia and I can tell you that while they are usually very polite, gracious, hospitable people, they can get downright nasty about the Civil War sometimes. She and others never miss an opportunity to slip in a Yankee comment, tell my wife right in front of me that if only she hadn't married a Yankee she would be the pride of the family, blah, blah, blah.

I remember seeing a statue of some general in Athens once and the plaque said something like "General X who defended the Confederacy from tyranny during the War of Northern Aggression". Well I read that and started laughing and Betty (my MIL) asked what was so funny and I said "The War of Northern Aggression?" And of course she adamantly, and quite matter of factly informed me that it could not be considered anything else...even after I pointed out that it was the south who besieged Fort Sumpter, seized federal military equipment and personnel, and engaged in insurrection against the Union first.

I think the end came when I complimented a gorgeous silver tea service she had and she said "Well it's just been in the family for generations." Then like a cobra hissed "During the war we had to bury it so the Yankees wouldn't get it." I had had enough by that point and responded "well shit Betty I thought all good rebs gave their silver to the cause."

All civility has since vanished. LOL

Last edited:

Dude :bsflag:
you and I have had this conversation on another board, and then you said the same thing," lighten up it's a joke". You know it makes me mad, so it's not a joke, it's a BAIT when you answer one of my posts with "Most of them east of Tallahasse are." I have mentioned on the other board that my family lives in Florida,Arkansas and the Carolina"s, so don't give me that BS. Oh and "you Yankee's" Didn't you say you were born in Boston? It doesn't get any more Yankee then that.

Last edited:
btw, this guy wasn't being racist either.

Later, during Tamron Hall‘s hour, guest Rick Wilson, who is a Florida Republican strategist accurately predicted Mitt Romney would win the state, saying, “Ranging from the cracker counties in the panhandle, down to central Florida, down to Miami and the southwest part of the state, I think he will roll out incredibly big numbers.”

Is it Okay to use the Term ‘Cracker’ when describing Florida voters? - TVNewser

I'm surprised no one commented on this.

Oh...I don't know. I have spent some quality time in the deep south. My mother-in-law is from Georgia and I can tell you that while they are usually very polite, gracious, hospitable people, they can get downright nasty about the Civil War sometimes. She and others never miss an opportunity to slip in a Yankee comment, tell my wife right in front of me that if only she hadn't married a Yankee she would be the pride of the family, blah, blah, blah.

I remember seeing a statue of some general in Athens once and the plaque said something like "General X who defended the Confederacy from tyranny during the War of Northern Aggression". Well I read that and started laughing and Betty (my MIL) asked what was so funny and I said "The War of Northern Aggression?" And of course she adamantly, and quite matter of factly informed me that it could not be considered anything else...even after I pointed out that it was the south who besieged Fort Sumpter, seized federal military equipment and personnel, and engaged in insurrection against the Union first.

I think the end came when I complimented a gorgeous silver tea service she had and she said "Well it's just been in the family for generations." Then like a cobra hissed "During the war we had to bury it so the Yankees wouldn't get it." I had had enough by that point and responded "well shit Betty I thought all good rebs gave their silver to the cause."

All civility has since vanished. LOL

LOL I'll bet it has.

I have lived in the North East all my life and never heard anyone make a remark about Southerner's and the Civil War in a negative way. Since I have been on-line I have been refered to as stupid and my ancestor's who fought for the Union,as baby killers because I'm from the North. This is supposed to be funny? I don't get it. If I said NLT the South is full of stupid people;you'd find it funny? Gadfly doesn't find it humourous.

The war was 150 years ago,nobody living fought in it. I have to ask those who are still bitter, what part of the USA are you not happy with? You want slavery back? You feel you don't have a voice in Congress that you still want to secede from the Union? I don't understand why people can't deal in the here and now. It's like blacks who still whine about slavery. You were NEVER a slave so it's time to move on and make the life those of your ancestor's who were wanted for you.

Forum List

Back