The cost of austerity: Violent crime up 18%; People die; But we save a tax dime

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
As city cutbacks cause police layoffs, bullets in night claim young mother's life - CNN.com

This wont be a marathon thread.
Nationwide, especially in GOP controlled areas, police funding has been slashed. Evil govt workers, ya know? Not on my tax dime.

Violent crime is up 18%. Less cops = More crime.

This heartbreaking story is of a Newark, NJ 24 yr old mom who was murdered in the road. She begged "Please dont let me die".

Why did I picked THIS story as the example? Because it hits on all the issues, on both party sides:

- Newark PD doesn't have enough funding, and is laying off cops (160 so far).
- They have a Democrat mayor who is asking for state aid. He already got some, and has mismanaged a lot.
- They have police unions, which I'm against. That is a big part of the problem.
- They have a GOP Governor, who wants to stop giving them state aid for cops, despite the spike in violence

It hits all the big problems, from both viewpoints.

We need to FUND OUR COPS. We need to get rid of police unions. Dems need to stop mismanaging PD's and GOP needs to start realizing the importance of cops to society.

Our nation has done way too much hard work from the 1970's to today to slash the violent crime in America, which was epidemic two decades ago. We dont wanna go backwards.

Because when we can talk shit about cops and say they eat donuts and say they dont do shit..........its because we aren't scared of crime. And thats good. We need to KEEP it that way.

And on a lighter note....GOP mayor of Findlay, Ohio is cutting cops and firemen: State audit: Cut police, fire forces - Wednesday, October 24, 2012 | Courier Electronic Edition - Findlay, Ohio: LOCAL NEWS

One citizen commented:

"I recently moved back to Findlay after having been away for years.

When the city that I lived in had cutbacks, we all felt it and I can tell you that it was horrible. The police didn't come out for accidents unless someone was injured. If you had something stolen, you were required to go to the police station to report it. I sat in the waiting room one day for 3 hours to report my wallet had been stolen. If your car was sprayed with graffiti, they didn't take police reports. You were told to just call your insurance company. Then the insurance company would get mad because there was no police report! The price of parking tickets skyrocketed. A guy parked his car and block my driveway and I was told that they weren't going to send an officer out due to "budget constraints" and that if the car was still there in 24 hours to call back! I had to drive through my lawn and over the curb to go to work. Some city parks were shut down. Soccer fields were left unattended and overgrown. Baseball fields were not opened or maintained.
I don't think that a lot of you truly understand how good you've got it here in Findlay. Findlay is a clean, safe, beautiful city that is going to go bad FAST if city services are cut. Believe me, I have experienced the down side to budget cuts and it isn't pretty. Should the tax not pass, I hope that every single one of you that votes the tax down calls for assistance and are told "sorry, we just don't have the staffing to help you."
It would serve you right."

Well said.

Cops only show up after the crime is committed.

Time to stock up on silver and lead.

Um...yeah. When a city with, say 9,000,000 people like NYC has 40,000 cops....that called being badly outnumbered.

80% of crimes they respond to after it happens.
10% they catch in progress.
10% they PREVENT by arresting the shitheads for something else before they get to the crime.

(yeah, I know, in theory that doesnt add up if 10% was prevented that only accounts for 90%. Thats my point. Fewer cops will make crime go up.)

poor cops, poor teachers, now they're gonna hurt just like the regular tax payers of America who probably make 1/2 of what they do.. :eusa_boohoo:

Ain't that the damn truth, you're already dead by the time they give a shit.

They aren't your personal bodyguard. And if you were treated how they are by society, would you give a fuck?

BTW, the Supreme Court in 2005 ruled that cops DO NOT have a legal obligation to protect your ass. Yet, they do it anyway. You should be thankful.

They aren't your personal bodyguard. And if you were treated how they are by society, would you give a fuck?

BTW, the Supreme Court in 2005 ruled that cops DO NOT have a legal obligation to protect your ass. Yet, they do it anyway. You should be thankful.

you're gonna have to do just what you expect the rich to do,, do a little more for your own damn welfare. the Taxpayers are fucking BROKE.

I should be thankful that you show up after I"m dead? Thanks for nuttin.

And on a lighter note....GOP mayor of Findlay, Ohio is cutting cops and firemen: State audit: Cut police, fire forces - Wednesday, October 24, 2012 | Courier Electronic Edition - Findlay, Ohio: LOCAL NEWS

One citizen commented:

When the city that I lived in had cutbacks, we all felt it and I can tell you that it was horrible. The police didn't come out for accidents unless someone was injured. If you had something stolen, you were required to go to the police station to report it. I sat in the waiting room one day for 3 hours to report my wallet had been stolen. If your car was sprayed with graffiti, they didn't take police reports. You were told to just call your insurance company. Then the insurance company would get mad because there was no police report! The price of parking tickets skyrocketed. A guy parked his car and block my driveway and I was told that they weren't going to send an officer out due to "budget constraints" and that if the car was still there in 24 hours to call back! I had to drive through my lawn and over the curb to go to work. Some city parks were shut down. Soccer fields were left unattended and overgrown. Baseball fields were not opened or maintained.
I don't think that a lot of you truly understand how good you've got it here in Findlay. Findlay is a clean, safe, beautiful city that is going to go bad FAST if city services are cut. Believe me, I have experienced the down side to budget cuts and it isn't pretty. Should the tax not pass, I hope that every single one of you that votes the tax down calls for assistance and are told "sorry, we just don't have the staffing to help you."

Well said.

Please. There is about one real crime a year in sleepy little Findlay.

But you swallow any goo available.

We're going broke and you want us to go more broke. Unions are killing most of europe and now the US.

Sometimes you have to balance a budget.

You must not have read the part where I said we SHOULDN'T have police unions.

From first hand experience, I can say there are many cops who are lazy and dont do shit, and cant be fired because of unions, and clog up the promotion pipe for better cops. That should be fixed so the good cops can get the pay they deserve rather than it be wasted on some 50 year old fatass Sgt who has been there for 30 years refused to retire, and mandates that his men dont do shit because he doesn't wanna risk getting into a lawsuit if something goes bad..............not that I've been in that situation or anything:redface:

One citizen commented:

Well said.

Kinda like folks in 1998 saying we dont need a military because of all this peace time we enjoy here in 1998.

We're going broke and you want us to go more broke. Unions are killing most of europe and now the US.

You must not have read the part where I said we SHOULDN'T have police unions.

From first hand experience, I can say there are many cops who are lazy and dont do shit, and cant be fired because of unions, and clog up the promotion pipe for better cops. That should be fixed so the good cops can get the pay they deserve rather than it be wasted on some 50 year old fatass Sgt who has been there for 30 years refused to retire, and mandates that his men dont do shit because he doesn't wanna risk getting into a lawsuit if something goes bad..............not that I've been in that situation or anything:redface:

Good idea...We should hire the best of our police and teachers.

Newark is the result of poor economic policies going back decades. That city is one big shit hole and has been since before I was born. Granted, Cory Booker has been making progress and is the best mayor that city has ever had probably in my lifetime, but he has a long way to go to reverse the decades of damage caused by his predecessors.

One citizen commented:

Well said.

Really?
Findlay stats: Findlay Crime Statistics: Ohio (OH) - CityRating.com
265 burglaries
16 armed robberies
41 aggravated assaults
1 murder
17 rapes (OH wait Repubs dont think rape is all that bad)

You morons live in a bubble of ignorance thanks to the cops and military.

Unions don't kill anything. Those who agree to give them everything they want are the problem. Unions represent employees. Employees want to be paid for every cent of their worth. The union is just a way of getting the most for the employee. If you worked for a non-union company and felt you deserved a raise, you would ask for one. It would be up to the employer to decide if you got that raise or not. Same with unions; in the end it is the employer's decision as to what they agree to.

One citizen commented:

Well said.

Kinda like folks in 1998 saying we dont need a military because of all this peace time we enjoy here in 1998.

demoncraps are hell bent on destroying the military,, join the club. if military men get laid off I sure don't have a problem with cops getting laid off.

Unions don't kill anything. Those who agree to give them everything they want are the problem. Unions represent employees. Employees want to be paid for every cent of their worth. The union is just a way of getting the most for the employee. If you worked for a non-union company and felt you deserved a raise, you would ask for one. It would be up to the employer to decide if you got that raise or not. Same with unions; in the end it is the employer's decision as to what they agree to.

LOL

You people are simply fucked in the head.

Forum List

Back