The Conservative Contradiction

Contradiction

Oppose Abortion but support the Death Penalty

Oppose Big Government getting involved in your personal choices but oppose Gay Marriage

My favorite contradiction is the ardent Tenth Amendment-ers who're all for across-state lines health insurance purchasing and national tort reform, both of which are assertions of federal dominance over state law.

Tort, i can agree with you on. However, health insurance purchasing clearly false within the Interstate commerce clause.

Contradiction

Oppose Abortion but support the Death Penalty

Oppose Big Government getting involved in your personal choices but oppose Gay Marriage

My favorite contradiction is the ardent Tenth Amendment-ers who're all for across-state lines health insurance purchasing and national tort reform, both of which are assertions of federal dominance over state law.

Not to mention if you try to establish gun control rules at the state or local level

Opposing or being pro "gay marriage" is a personal choice. Forcing all of society to recognize and condone gay marriage is an example of big government getting involved in your personal choices.

You, yourself do not have to recognize anyones marriage

The government does

Few of us, regardless of how we bill ourselves, is ENTIRELY consistent in what we want.

What most of us really want is GOOD GOVERNMENT.

We're mostly like Goldilocks of the three bears fame, really.

We want the porriage to be neither too hot, nor too cold, the bed either too hard nor too soft.

Where we end up debating is mostly how to get that GOOD GOVERNMENT, and mostly we debate what a GOOD GOVERNMENT is supposed to be doing, too.

When we characterize the opposite partisan team we generally do so by

1. ascribing something ridiculous to the other side
2. Fault them for wanting what they do NOT want
3. Explain how what we want is sensible, and that we want these sensible things because (the sotto voce message) we are sane and the other side is not.

We see this bullshit tecnique happening every day on this board.

Typically the partisan starts out saying either

The liberals all say (believe, want) ________________________________...

or \

The conservatives all say (believe want) ________________________________...

And then these partisans go on to fault people for things they neither said, want or believe.

This is mostly what passes for serious political discussion in place like this, folks.

The media labels everyone so we all feel the need to label ourselves

If you put 100 conservatives in a room, they will only agree on one thing, lower taxes.

Everything else is a mixture of opinions.

So, would I be wrong in concluding avarice is the only thing which unites conservatives?

How is wanting to keep more of the money one earns being greedy?

I will submit that one who expects to benefit from the labors of another while doing little to earn his own way is the greedy one. Not to mention the slothful one.

Opposing or being pro "gay marriage" is a personal choice. Forcing all of society to recognize and condone gay marriage is an example of big government getting involved in your personal choices.

The government does

The government should not legally distinguish between a married and an unmarried citizen.

If two people (any two people) decide to enter into a contract of marriage, it is none of the government's business.

The government does

The government should not legally distinguish between a married and an unmarried citizen.

If two people (any two people) decide to enter into a contract of marriage, it is none of the government's business.

Totally agree.

The media labels everyone so we all feel the need to label ourselves

If you put 100 conservatives in a room, they will only agree on one thing, lower taxes.

Everything else is a mixture of opinions.

So, would I be wrong in concluding avarice is the only thing which unites conservatives?

I will submit that one who expects to benefit from the labors of another while doing little to earn his own way is the greedy one. Not to mention the slothful one.

It is not greedy at all, so long as the money was earned by providing a useful good or service to a consumer who willfully chose to value the good or service more than he values money.

The government does

If the Government wants to change all the tax codes, survivor benefits and Social Security so it does not recognize spouses....I would agree with you

So many people claim to be conservative out of one side of their mouth, but out the other they bitch and moan about the terrible state of the status quo and lobby for decidedly progressive change. The only theoretically conservative position they hold is abject opposition to all progressive iniatives for change championed by the left. But their opposition is clearly not borne of conservatism, but rather a conflicting progressive agenda.

True conservatives would oppose radical progressivism from both wings. Faux-conservatives seem to only oppose it when it's coming from left.

And that's a shame.

You may be confusing Conservatism with Republicanism. While Republicanism may be a little less budget busting the Democratism, it's not by much. Obamaism, on the other hand, puts both Republican and Democrat to shame in running up the debt. There's never been anything like it in the history of the planet.
I guess we'll know that....for a FACT....in 2016......and, that's what SCARES Republicans, the MOST, that.....like Bill Clinton, who Republicans ALSO believed would bomb-out in four-years....Obama will once-AGAIN deliver a $URPLU$!!!!!!!

"Against the same “Republican attack machine” that had so monstrously carved up Michael Dukakis four years earlier, Mr. Clinton, the intraparty and media consensus went, was doomed. Top Democrats, it was reported, had concluded that “the so-called character issue, which bedeviled Clinton in the primaries, will prevent a critical number of voters from supporting him.”

Whoops.

Mr. Clinton’s story shows that even when the man and the mood match, it can still take voters a while to come around. But they do, eventually."

:cool:

Last edited:

It is not greedy at all, so long as the money was earned by providing a useful good or service to a consumer who willfully chose to value the good or service more than he values money.

Well that's true of all goods and services because ultimately the consumer has the choice not to buy; except for health insurance which the government is now forcing us to buy whether we believe the value of that product is worth more than the inflated prices we will be paying or not.

The government does

If the Government wants to change all the tax codes, survivor benefits and Social Security so it does not recognize spouses....I would agree with you

The easy answer to that is to let people own their own Social Security money as individual retirement accounts so they can leave the money to whom they choose.

Fifth, conservatives pay attention to the principle of variety.They feel affection for the proliferating intricacy of long-established social institutions and modes of life, as distinguished from the narrowing uniformity and deadening egalitarianism of radical systems. [I love that part.]
So would anyone-else....who was (re)writing a Texas-style Dictionary. :rolleyes:

Webster --> radical a: marked by a considerable departure from the usual or traditional b: tending or disposed to make extreme changes in existing views, habits, conditions, or institutions c: of, relating to, or constituting a political group associated with views, practices, and policies of extreme change d: advocating extreme measures to retain or restore a political state of affair.

"...narrowing uniformity...of radical systems...", huh??? :rolleyes:

You "conservatives" can be conditioned/taught to believe almost anything....even modified-English.

:rolleyes:

The government does
....As they do, any other Contract.​

What you're describing, then, is self-loathing.​

I imagine you have a lot of experience with that.
Nice clip-job.

:rolleyes:

******​

I have always found it interesting that the Republicans who pride themselves on their patriotism harbor such deep seated hatred for their government.

Quite frankly, anyone that trusts the government has their head up their ass.
What you're describing, then, is self-loathing.​
I imagine you have a lot of experience with that.

So......WE'RE not "the government"???????

:eusa_eh:

Conservatives believe welfare is OK if it is presented as a Military Pension. Why ?

Forum List

Back