The connection between unemployment and the US president

During that two year period, job losses went from 800,000 per month to job creation. GDP went from losing 9% annualized to gaining 5% annualized.
unemployment went as high as 10% and until this month never dropped below 9%.
You confuse the "job created" number with the "net job" number.

If company A goes out of business, but company B is able to stay in business becuase it got a big stimulus check and a government contract as well...and company B has no competition now becuase company A went out of business, company B has a larger market share and is able to hire more employees to fill the demand created by the loss of company A.

So company A loses 100 jobs...but company B hires all 100 of them....there are 100 jobs created due to the stimulus but a net 0 MORE jobs actually resulting from the stimulus.

Come on man....you are smarter than that!

Heck...you are smarter than me!

8537 is among the dumbest most ill informed SOB's on economics on this board. He cannot tell the difference between job creation and net job creation.

LOL. Someone has a fetish.

The irony is that you're attempting to call me an "ill informed SOB on economics" using an erroneous piece of information. In other words, you're full of shit. But we knew that already. Get a new hobby.

I can't explain it because I'm not an economist but a long time ago, before Obama, before Bush, before even Reagan, an economist friend told me this:

A president cannot do much of anything to spur the US economy, but he CAN hurt it.

I have always remembered that since.

If he can hurt it, he can help it. Too many right wingers fall for the bullshit that government is bad. They are binary people. Their choices are "Either/Or" and nothing in between. The truth is, a combination of Government, Universities and Corporations is what works best. Republicans see government as a means to force women to have unwanted children and discriminate against various minorities and good for nothing else. They see education as bad and American universities as the worst, even though people from other countries sacrifice to send their children to school here. They see corporations as "Gods" and "job creators".

Not noted enough is that the "improvement" in the UE figure largely comes from people dropping out of the workforce. The economy created about 150k jobs last month.

no, the economy created about 350,000 jobs last month. Seasonal adjustments reduced that number to 120,000.

No, the economy created 120k net jobs last month. Please show on this news release any number that resembles 350k
Employment Situation Summary

unemployment went as high as 10% and until this month never dropped below 9%.
You confuse the "job created" number with the "net job" number.

If company A goes out of business, but company B is able to stay in business becuase it got a big stimulus check and a government contract as well...and company B has no competition now becuase company A went out of business, company B has a larger market share and is able to hire more employees to fill the demand created by the loss of company A.

So company A loses 100 jobs...but company B hires all 100 of them....there are 100 jobs created due to the stimulus but a net 0 MORE jobs actually resulting from the stimulus.

Come on man....you are smarter than that!

Heck...you are smarter than me!

8537 is among the dumbest most ill informed SOB's on economics on this board. He cannot tell the difference between job creation and net job creation.

The irony is that you're attempting to call me an "ill informed SOB on economics" using an erroneous piece of information. In other words, you're full of shit. But we knew that already. Get a new hobby.

The only one posting erroneous info is you. Because you can't tell the difference.

Not noted enough is that the "improvement" in the UE figure largely comes from people dropping out of the workforce. The economy created about 150k jobs last month.

no, the economy created about 350,000 jobs last month. Seasonal adjustments reduced that number to 120,000.

No, the economy created 120k net jobs last month. Please show on this news release any number that resembles 350k

No, that's the seasonally adjusted figures.

And as usual, you neg rep someone when they make you look stupid. It's like the sun rising in the east.

The only one posting erroneous info is you. Because you can't tell the difference.

Would you like to stand by your claim that the 120,000 is not the net figure (seasonally adjusted)?

Wherein we learn that Rabbi is an idiot (wait, we already knew that. Herein we confirm)

NSA employees on nonfarm payroll:
October 2011: 132,620,000
November 2011: 132,959,000
Change in payroll employment, NSA: +339,000

Adjusted:
October 2011: 131,588
November 2011: 131,708
Change in payroll employment, SA: +120,000

All directly from the employment situation reports at BLS.gov.

Last edited:

And as usual, you neg rep someone when they make you look stupid. It's like the sun rising in the east.
Please point to ANY number that resembles 350k

Does anyone know the actual influence Obama has over the economy? To what extent does an unemployment rate reflect Obama's leadership?

Leave the political rhetoric out of this, guys. This question has a pretty concrete answer. Either you know or you don't.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu-P_lK-NeU]Steve Wynn - "Obama greatest wet-blanket on jobs and business in my lifetime" - YouTube[/ame]

Best three minute education you'll ever get in your life on the hazards of Obamanomics

+339,000 nonfarm payroll employment, not seasonally adjusted.

Are you going to continue to defend your claim that the +120,000 SA is not a net jobs figure, or perhaps you'd like to admit you were wrong.

Are you going to continue to defend your claim that the +120,000 SA is not a net jobs figure, or perhaps you'd like to admit you were wrong.

Please point to any number in the link that resembles 350k

It's the +339,000 nonfarm payroll employment in the Not Seasonally Adjusted jobs comparison in the B-1 table of the employment situation report. I can't be held accountable for your inability to read it.

Not seasonally adjusted
Oct Nov
132,620,000 132,959,000

=+339,000

Last edited:
Does anyone know the actual influence Obama has over the economy? To what extent does an unemployment rate reflect Obama's leadership?

Leave the political rhetoric out of this, guys. This question has a pretty concrete answer. Either you know or you don't.

You say to leave the political rhetoric out of it, Billy and then proceed to attack anyone that says what you don't want to hear.

The President's language can definitely effect the economy just as the Fed Chief's language can. We have an "Imperial" Presidency now...one with a lot more power than the Founding Fathers placed in the office when our government was originally conceived. A sitting President can now bypass Congress on many issues and affect the economy in major ways.

As for what effect Obama has had on unemployment? You'd have to remember that the driving issues of his early Presidency were ObamaCare and the stimulus. Then he stated that he would be going after Cap & Trade legislation and Card Check legislation. All of these things had an effect on hiring and for the most part it wasn't a positive one. Throw in agency heads like Ken Salazar who used his position to shut down all off shore drilling both shallow and deep water and Eric Holder who used the DOJ to go after companies like Gibson Guitars and Boeing and you can understand why businesses were less than enthused about trying to work with this Administration.

Last edited:

I've seen some really poor excuses/points on USMB before. But calling him out at 350K, then he shows 339K+, and you again say where's the 350K? That's playing semantics. Essentially you're admitting you were wrong, but are looking for a technicality to save face. Go home and let the grown-ups talk.

How'd that post work out for ya, Rabbi?

Please point to any number in the link that resembled 350k. Waiting.

1) I walked you to it. B1, non farm payroll data.

2) Are you still sticking by your claim that the 120K is not a net figure?

...Speaking of ill-informed SOB's.

Last edited:
Obama's Biggest Jobs/Economic Mistake

For every person the Obamacrat government allows to continue living in a foreclosed home for free it kills many local Main Street jobs & local taxes but increases profits for mega multinational corporations on Wall Street & increases jobs in foreign countries like China. Government has inserted itself & wall street between local business & customers thus destroying the main street economy.

These slackers still had a job & the same money as before to pay his local bills. But they are no longer maintaining their property or paying their HOA fees (local services & hardware stores go under). They are no longer paying property taxes (teachers, police & fire lose jobs). They are no longer paying homeowners insurance (so their local insurance agent fires all their employees & goes out of business). Big multi-national bailed-out insurance company (AIG) has deals with banks to put forced place coverage on homes that homeowners stop paying premium on. The slacker is likely not saving that money because he is going to file bankruptcy so he blew it on a Big expensive LCD HDTV made in China for a mega multinational corporation & sold by a Big Box store. Along with an expensive satellite HDTV subscription package. This all propped up Wall Street but killed the main-street economy, local taxes, & jobs in the USA.

The same goes for the local land lords who buys foreclosed homes & used to rent them to the slacker that now lives for free & lets the house fall apart around him & even steals the copper wiring & plumbing if he ever leaves. Government is propping up home prices so land Lords cant buy them & expand. It hurts the property managers, property maintenance companies, lawn care companies. The slacker blew his excess money on some expensive expensive sneakers, clothes & I-Phone made in China & sold by a Big Box store. He upped his cell phone plan to an expensive plan that include data. This propped up Wall Street but killed the main-street economy & jobs in the USA. These local companies used to invest their earnings right back into their local economy. Now the Big Multinational Companies invest in China.

This all slowed home sales which further wiped out local realtor's, loan officers, home inspectors, movers, painters, carpenters, tree services, news paper advertising, direct mailers, office equipment service technicians, & the list goes on. The slacker spent his money on a vacation to Europe on a foreign airline & blew his wad over there. This just killed the main-street economy & jobs in the USA. These local companies used to invest their earnings right back into their local economy. Now the Big Multinational Companies invest in China.

The free market is the best path to prosperity & Obamacrat communism has just brought us trickle up poverty.

Last edited:
Who is "allowing persons to live in a foreclosed home"?

I should add: In some cases, the neighbors are made better off by allowing the person to live in that home, even though there is no Obama administration policy requiring lenders to permit this.

Who is "allowing persons to live in a foreclosed home"?

I should add: In some cases, the neighbors are made better off by allowing the person to live in that home, even though there is no Obama administration policy requiring lenders to permit this.

Ok - Obama slowed the foreclosure process. Not actually living in foreclosed homes for years. BUT allows them to live mortgage & rent free for 3 years. This is rampet around the country.

I Learned How to Stop Foreclosure and Have Been able to Stay in My House for Over 3 Years Without Making any Mortgage Payments, and Without Paying for any Foreclosure Assistance.

I was about to lose my home to foreclosure almost 3 years ago, and in the worst situation I ever been in my entire life I was able to stay in my home and today, I’m still here, without making any payments at all.

Forum List

Back