If you've been impeached from the Senate...

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
Why in the hell would anyone think that you're a viable presidential candidate?

Do any of you GOP types who are strongly in support of Newt remember back when he was kicked out of the Senate for ethics violations, paid 300,000 in fines and was sent home?

Now...........if a person is kicked out of a lower job (i.e. Senate) and impeached, what is it that would make them qualified for a higher status job (i.e. President)?

That's almost like being a department head in a corporation, getting caught embezzeling and subsequently fired, then being asked a few years later to be the CEO.

and gingrich was sanctioned by the house, not impeached........

they are not even close to being the same thing........

and he was never kicked out.......

Do any of you GOP types who are strongly in support of Newt remember back when he was kicked out of the Senate for ethics violations, paid 300,000 in fines and was sent home?

Now...........if a person is kicked out of a lower job (i.e. Senate) and impeached, what is it that would make them qualified for a higher status job (i.e. President)?

That's almost like being a department head in a corporation, getting caught embezzeling and subsequently fired, then being asked a few years later to be the CEO.

ummm.. you do realize gingrich was never in the senate, right?

one never sees a libtard pawned by another libtard,, it's just precious..

Newt resigned (from the House. Where he was speaker). But don't let the truth get in the way of your hatred.
You libs still hate that it was because of Newt and the republicans that Clinton had any real success in office.
Welfare reform and a balance budget are just two of the things Newt is responsible for.

send us a link.. we'll wait.

Excuse me........he was Speaker of the House. Doesn't change the fact that he was kicked out of Congress.

And......the question still stands..........if you're kicked out of Congress for ethics violations, why should you be president?

Ethics sanctions

Eighty-four ethics charges were filed against Speaker Gingrich during his term, including claiming tax-exempt status for a college course run for political purposes. Following an investigation by the House Ethics Committee Gingrich was sanctioned US$300,000.[66] Gingrich acknowledged in January 1997 that "In my name and over my signature, inaccurate, incomplete and unreliable statements were given to the committee". [67] The House Ethics Committee concluded that inaccurate information supplied to investigators represented "intentional or ... reckless" disregard of House rules.[68] Special Counsel James M. Cole concluded that Gingrich violated federal tax law and had lied to the ethics panel in an effort to force the committee to dismiss the complaint against him. The full committee panel did not agree whether tax law had been violated[69] and left that issue up to the IRS.[70] In 1999, the IRS cleared the organizations connected with the "Renewing American Civilization" courses under investigation for possible tax violations.[71][72]

[edit] Leadership challenge

In the summer of 1997 several House Republicans, who saw Gingrich's public image as a liability, attempted to replace him as Speaker. The attempted "coup" began July 9 with a meeting of Republican conference chairman John Boehner of Ohio and Republican leadership chairman Bill Paxon of New York. According to their plan, House Majority Leader Dick Armey, House Majority Whip Tom DeLay, Boehner and Paxon were to present Gingrich with an ultimatum: resign, or be voted out. However, Armey balked at the proposal to make Paxon the new Speaker, and told his chief of staff to warn Gingrich about the attempted coup.[73]

On July 11, Gingrich met with senior Republican leadership to assess the situation. He explained that under no circumstance would he step down. If he was voted out, there would be a new election for Speaker, which would allow for the possibility that Democrats—along with dissenting Republicans—would vote in Dick Gephardt as Speaker. On July 16, Paxon offered to resign his post, feeling that he had not handled the situation correctly, as the only member of the leadership who had been appointed to his position—by Gingrich—instead of elected.[74]

[edit] Resignation

Gingrich's official portrait as Speaker
Republicans lost five seats in the House in the 1998 elections—the worst midterm performance in 64 years for a party that didn't hold the presidency. Polls showed that Gingrich and the Republican Party's attempt to remove President Clinton from office was deeply unpopular among voters.[75] Gingrich suffered much of the blame for the election loss. Facing a rebellion in the Republican caucus, he announced on November 5, 1998 that he would not only stand down as Speaker, but would leave the House as well. Gingrich made this announcement only a day after being elected to an 11th term from his district. Commenting on his departure, Gingrich said, "I'm willing to lead but I'm not willing to preside over people who are cannibals. My only fear would be that if I tried to stay, it would just overshadow whoever my successor is."[76]

Newt Gingrich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

First, he was never a member of the Senate, he was in the House of Representatives. Second, he was not impeached, which is a very specific constitutional procedure, but sanctioned, and yes, fined 300k. Third, he was not removed from the House, he resigned after the 1998 midterms.

In another note, the IRS later cleared the organizations involved with the ethics violations of any tax violations, which were the really heavy Ethics issues.

R.I.M.F.

Actually Vaard isn't a liberal. i know he acts that way at times but I've seen him in action for years and he's not. ...but it was a damn good pwning wasn't it?

Excuse me........he was Speaker of the House. Doesn't change the fact that he was kicked out of Congress.

And......the question still stands..........if you're kicked out of Congress for ethics violations, why should you be president?

Ethics sanctions

Eighty-four ethics charges were filed against Speaker Gingrich during his term, including claiming tax-exempt status for a college course run for political purposes. Following an investigation by the House Ethics Committee Gingrich was sanctioned US$300,000.[66] Gingrich acknowledged in January 1997 that "In my name and over my signature, inaccurate, incomplete and unreliable statements were given to the committee". [67] The House Ethics Committee concluded that inaccurate information supplied to investigators represented "intentional or ... reckless" disregard of House rules.[68] Special Counsel James M. Cole concluded that Gingrich violated federal tax law and had lied to the ethics panel in an effort to force the committee to dismiss the complaint against him. The full committee panel did not agree whether tax law had been violated[69] and left that issue up to the IRS.[70] In 1999, the IRS cleared the organizations connected with the "Renewing American Civilization" courses under investigation for possible tax violations.[71][72]

[edit] Leadership challenge

In the summer of 1997 several House Republicans, who saw Gingrich's public image as a liability, attempted to replace him as Speaker. The attempted "coup" began July 9 with a meeting of Republican conference chairman John Boehner of Ohio and Republican leadership chairman Bill Paxon of New York. According to their plan, House Majority Leader Dick Armey, House Majority Whip Tom DeLay, Boehner and Paxon were to present Gingrich with an ultimatum: resign, or be voted out. However, Armey balked at the proposal to make Paxon the new Speaker, and told his chief of staff to warn Gingrich about the attempted coup.[73]

On July 11, Gingrich met with senior Republican leadership to assess the situation. He explained that under no circumstance would he step down. If he was voted out, there would be a new election for Speaker, which would allow for the possibility that Democrats—along with dissenting Republicans—would vote in Dick Gephardt as Speaker. On July 16, Paxon offered to resign his post, feeling that he had not handled the situation correctly, as the only member of the leadership who had been appointed to his position—by Gingrich—instead of elected.[74]

[edit] Resignation

Gingrich's official portrait as Speaker
Republicans lost five seats in the House in the 1998 elections—the worst midterm performance in 64 years for a party that didn't hold the presidency. Polls showed that Gingrich and the Republican Party's attempt to remove President Clinton from office was deeply unpopular among voters.[75] Gingrich suffered much of the blame for the election loss. Facing a rebellion in the Republican caucus, he announced on November 5, 1998 that he would not only stand down as Speaker, but would leave the House as well. Gingrich made this announcement only a day after being elected to an 11th term from his district. Commenting on his departure, Gingrich said, "I'm willing to lead but I'm not willing to preside over people who are cannibals. My only fear would be that if I tried to stay, it would just overshadow whoever my successor is."[76]

Newt Gingrich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

show us the part where he was impeached.. we'll wait.

Actually Vaard isn't a liberal. i know he acts that way at times but I've seen him in action for years and he's not. ...but it was a damn good pwning wasn't it?

damn good.

yeah, i am usually too busy "pawning" (i think you mean pwning, no a, the p is in replace of the o in "l33t" speak for "owning") repubtards like you........

What makes me think Newt would still be a good candidate for POTUS?

Well, Obama is now POTUS and Newt is 23,847,676,273,465,034,875,627,865 times better for the job than he is.

yeah, i am usually too busy "pawning" (i think you mean pwning, no a, the p is in replace of the o in "l33t" speak for "owning") repubtards like you........

thank ewe, I stand connected.

dont bother, he has told the lie so many times, he now believes i am a liberal.......

and to most republicans, being a "liberal" just means they disagree with you, even if the person they disagree with is to the right of them........

Forum List

Back