The Confederate Flag

What purpose does it make to pick at those cultural scabs? Does flying the Confederate battle flag in contemporary America serve to unite, to inspire, to rally? The perception of that flag is what it is. All the rationalizations, equivocations, excuses and obtuse history won't change that perception one iota.

The purpose of a flag is to inspire, to act as a benchmark, of national identity. The legacy of that flag on the battlefield and in the post war century has been one of division, treason and bigotry.

Go ahead and fly that flag. Don't expect everyone who sees it to consider Lincoln's ideas of racial separation as an excuse to admire it.

The perception of that flag is what it is.

The perception is different depending on who you are and what your intentions are. This is where I have a problem with you. It's like you want to infer your own perception as the ONLY perception and pretend there can be no other. That's what BIGOTS do, in fact, it's the hallmark of bigotry to do that. I prefer to defend the right of anyone who wants to fly that flag, and use it as an opportunity to dispel ignorance in the symbolic meaning. I can't speak to why various people fly the flag, just as I can't speak to the motivations of those who may fly an American flag. People have different reasons for what they do. They have different perceptions of various images and symbols. We're fortunate to live in country that recognizes our freedom to be different and to be able to have freedom of speech.

Don't expect everyone who sees it to consider Lincoln's ideas of racial separation as an excuse to admire it.

I don't expect that, and it's not the reason I brought up Lincoln's ideas. I haven't demanded that you "admire" anything, that's up to you as an individual. I've only asked you to be tolerant of those who don't share your perception of the symbolism. I've explained how your perception has flaws, but you keep rejecting that and insisting your perception is the ONLY perception and no one else is entitled to a different one. Again... textbook bigotry.

That's what racists, authoritarians, bigots, hate mongers and losers have always said. "Don't look for justice here. We're going to do whatever will can to prevent that. Just look away."

And the lack of nobility passes right along.

how is displaying the confederate flag denying anyone their civil rights?
It depends on context. If a Statehouse had that flag atop the dome of the capitol, it's most definitely intimidation. That symbol shows everyone that there is no room for justice for anyone who is not White.

If it's just at your trailer park, it shows everyone that racists live here, be on your guard.

then you are the bigot that wants to deny others' civil rights

I don't want to ban the flag. The flag is still a means of speech. But the exercise of that speech has revealed more about the speaker than the flag. When has the Confederate battle flag ever represented something other than racism or treason against the federal government? When has the Confederate battle flag ever been a symbol of universal justice and freedom?

Do you think the American Flag is a symbol of universal justice and freedom to the people being shit on by this country?

Maybe your opinion of the Confederate Flag is likewise skewed by your personal perspective, no?
I know that the American flag was used by those who fought to rid the world of tyrannical Fascism. And the Confederate flag was used by those who wanted to preserve and extend slavery. I know that the American flag is a welcome sight on the containers of food, medicine and water whenever those necessities are desperately needed by the poorest in areas devastated by disaster. And the Confederate flag has been flown as a symbol of bigotry and hate and repression.

If my personal perception of the Confederate flag was unique to me and me alone, I would rethink my position. But you and I and every other honest citizen understands that my perception is shared throughout this nation, even in the south.

what is your opinion on west African nation flags since they are the ones that were the original sellers?

Forum List

Back