The coming coal subsidies

Suzanne Goldenberg in Washington

Friday 8 April 2016 07.00 EDT
On a wintry night in 2010 a few months before 29 men were killed in the Upper Big Branch mine explosion, the coal boss, Don Blankenship – then one of the richest and most powerful men in West Virginia – squared up to Robert Kennedy Jr in a public debate about destructive mining practices and climate change.

The contest had been an epic smackdown and about 1,000 people turned out to see the scion of the liberal Kennedy clan take on the native son and champion of coal.

But Kennedy, despite his impressive command of facts, never really managed to land a punch, or cause a ripple in Blankenship’s impassive demeanor – let alone win over an audience stacked with miners from the coal baron’s Massey EnergyCompany.

“When you criticise what we do as an industry, you are criticising the people that are teaching your Sunday school, that are coaching your little league,” Blankenship told Kennedy. The line got the biggest applause all night.

Six years later, Blankenship and the coal industry he championed are both on the ropes. The former chief executive is headed to prison and some of the biggest coalmining companies in the world are in bankruptcy or possibly headed that way –knocked out of electricity markets by cheap natural gas and the environmental regulations Blankenship so vehemently opposed.

The former chief executive of Massey Energy was sentenced this week to a year in prison for willfully violating mine safety standards – the highest penalty available under the law. Blankenship was not accused of direct responsibility for the accident – the worst in 40 years in the US.

Next week Peabody Energy, the world’s largest publicly traded coal company, will come to the end of a 30-day grace period to repay its crushing debts or fall into bankruptcy.

The company’s share price has fallen by 98% since 2011.

The death of US coal: industry on a steep decline as cheap natural gas rises

Looks like reduction from an E-cup to half a nipple. Coal, as a big industry, is dead.

Suzanne Goldenberg in Washington

Friday 8 April 2016 07.00 EDT
On a wintry night in 2010 a few months before 29 men were killed in the Upper Big Branch mine explosion, the coal boss, Don Blankenship – then one of the richest and most powerful men in West Virginia – squared up to Robert Kennedy Jr in a public debate about destructive mining practices and climate change.

The contest had been an epic smackdown and about 1,000 people turned out to see the scion of the liberal Kennedy clan take on the native son and champion of coal.

But Kennedy, despite his impressive command of facts, never really managed to land a punch, or cause a ripple in Blankenship’s impassive demeanor – let alone win over an audience stacked with miners from the coal baron’s Massey EnergyCompany.

“When you criticise what we do as an industry, you are criticising the people that are teaching your Sunday school, that are coaching your little league,” Blankenship told Kennedy. The line got the biggest applause all night.

Six years later, Blankenship and the coal industry he championed are both on the ropes. The former chief executive is headed to prison and some of the biggest coalmining companies in the world are in bankruptcy or possibly headed that way –knocked out of electricity markets by cheap natural gas and the environmental regulations Blankenship so vehemently opposed.

The former chief executive of Massey Energy was sentenced this week to a year in prison for willfully violating mine safety standards – the highest penalty available under the law. Blankenship was not accused of direct responsibility for the accident – the worst in 40 years in the US.

Next week Peabody Energy, the world’s largest publicly traded coal company, will come to the end of a 30-day grace period to repay its crushing debts or fall into bankruptcy.

The company’s share price has fallen by 98% since 2011.

The death of US coal: industry on a steep decline as cheap natural gas rises

Looks like reduction from an E-cup to half a nipple. Coal, as a big industry, is dead.
Why do you hate coal miners?

again the old rocks propaganda machine is yet again out in full force..

Dealing with these people, you really do have to think in a very unorthodox manner........because reasoned judgment is not part of the dialogue.

An analogy is necessary here. Think about sitting with another and discussing Kim Kardasians boobs. To a great majority, one could consider her boobs a bit more obvious than the boobs of many women. But not to the alarmist..........they would insist Kim Kardasians boobs are rather normal and in fact, rather small...........see reference from post #21. So going back to energy and using his analogy, we have, in the past few years, gone from coal being E-Cup for providing electricity to a half/nipple...........and that the coal industry is "dead". Dead!!!:ack-1:

But here is the IPCC 5th Assessment report on the future of coal.........D O M I N A T I N G even in 2100! Coal and the IPCC

Now......you can certainly go with the alarmist green opinion links posted above indicating coal will be gone in a few years and all electricity being generated by renewables by 2025.:gay::gay:

Or you can click on link above with about 4 billion links on major organizations, like the IPCC, that have been tracking coal "burn" for decades!!!:up:

[URL='http://s42.photobucket.com/user/baldaltima/media/laughing_man_1.jpg.html'][/URL]

Trust me s0ns.......Kims boobs are indeed enormously large......no matter what the alarmist k00ks say!!!

The Big Coal Bailout of 2016

Peabody Coal's long-awaited concession that bankruptcy lies ahead signals the curtain fall on the long-running, silent and secret bailout of the management of the U.S. coal industry. As one analyst put it when Peabody announced that it faced a "going concern" letter, "It's the end of the era of publicly traded coal companies."

Peabody is about to join Arch, Murray, Alpha and other coal producers in bankruptcy. The total market value of the U.S. coal sector since 2011 has plunged from more than $70 billion to barely $6 billion and most of the remaining value is natural gas operations owned by Consol Inc. Coal stocks have dropped far faster than coal consumption, because the industry, ignoring competition from renewable energy and dismissing pressure to clean up the air, recklessly invested in far greater mining capacity than the market needs. Coal prices dropped by 75 percent.

But even as King Coal inescapably rushes towards bankruptcy, the companies are being showered by regulators and judges with extraordinary largesse. This is not a bailout like GM and Chrysler, (or even the banks), when the taxpayers took very large risks but gained a good shot at rescuing operating enterprises and the value they create. This bailout largesse to coal, largely driven by Republican politicians, is showering down on shareholders and management of enterprises which cannot and will not be rescued, just to postpone the moment at which they are reorganized, thus fattening management and shareholders before the evil moment.

And who pays? The general taxpayer for sure, but more spectacularly sick and retired mine workers and their communities.

Now in spite of this, Trump has promised to bail out coal. For people that claim to admire market forces, the GOP is certainly going against them. And you and I will pay for it.

Coal people are fucked

NPR Search : NPR

NPR has been doing stories about how fucked these people are. Once the coal is gone they can't grow anything on that land EVER. And they were talking about all the coal miners who used to purchase big F150 trucks and Harley Davidson's and now those former blue collar workers are broke and buying nothing.

I don't think Trump can do anything for these people. They need to move. Just like no new industries are going to move to Detroit or Chicago, they aren't going to move to coal country after the boom. One guy was suggesting they put up a bunch of solar panels and windmills. Funny how the coal miners now want to go green.

Peabody Coal's long-awaited concession that bankruptcy lies ahead signals the curtain fall on the long-running, silent and secret bailout of the management of the U.S. coal industry. As one analyst put it when Peabody announced that it faced a "going concern" letter, "It's the end of the era of publicly traded coal companies."

Peabody is about to join Arch, Murray, Alpha and other coal producers in bankruptcy. The total market value of the U.S. coal sector since 2011 has plunged from more than $70 billion to barely $6 billion and most of the remaining value is natural gas operations owned by Consol Inc. Coal stocks have dropped far faster than coal consumption, because the industry, ignoring competition from renewable energy and dismissing pressure to clean up the air, recklessly invested in far greater mining capacity than the market needs. Coal prices dropped by 75 percent.

But even as King Coal inescapably rushes towards bankruptcy, the companies are being showered by regulators and judges with extraordinary largesse. This is not a bailout like GM and Chrysler, (or even the banks), when the taxpayers took very large risks but gained a good shot at rescuing operating enterprises and the value they create. This bailout largesse to coal, largely driven by Republican politicians, is showering down on shareholders and management of enterprises which cannot and will not be rescued, just to postpone the moment at which they are reorganized, thus fattening management and shareholders before the evil moment.

And who pays? The general taxpayer for sure, but more spectacularly sick and retired mine workers and their communities.

Now in spite of this, Trump has promised to bail out coal. For people that claim to admire market forces, the GOP is certainly going against them. And you and I will pay for it.

Coal people are fucked

NPR has been doing stories about how fucked these people are. Once the coal is gone they can't grow anything on that land EVER. And they were talking about all the coal miners who used to purchase big F150 trucks and Harley Davidson's and now those former blue collar workers are broke and buying nothing.

I don't think Trump can do anything for these people. They need to move. Just like no new industries are going to move to Detroit or Chicago, they aren't going to move to coal country after the boom. One guy was suggesting they put up a bunch of solar panels and windmills. Funny how the coal miners now want to go green.

See the attitude of progressives who supposedly stand for rights and the little man? Its "FUCK YOU!" to them.

Wait'll the Trump energy/fuck the EPA/Paris/university research agenda gets into full swing!! This forum is going to get to be stoopid-fun for skeptics.......I cant wait!! Will be doling out more bumpy cucumbers than have ever been seen before in here.........by miles!:deal::popcorn::popcorn:

1000% smarter than dumping billions into solar companies that failed ( see Obama 2010 - 2011 ):deal:. Brings jobs AND lower utilities costs to the people.:popcorn:
Seems to me solar and wind are getting better every day and you old timer coal and oil boys are a dying breed.

Coal people are fucked

See the attitude of progressives who supposedly stand for rights and the little man? Its "FUCK YOU!" to them.

Wait'll the Trump energy/fuck the EPA/Paris/university research agenda gets into full swing!! This forum is going to get to be stoopid-fun for skeptics.......I cant wait!! Will be doling out more bumpy cucumbers than have ever been seen before in here.........by miles!:deal::popcorn::popcorn:

It turns out the coal industry is fucked. Natural gas fucked them. Not to mention wind and solar.

So basically you're going to UNGREEN us so that coal can do better? That's dumb. Oh, and coal communities eventually will be screwed either way because when all the coal is gone nothing will grow there. So Trumps fix is only temporary. Coal is dirty and bad. And fuck those losers. I give them the same advice I give people in Detroit. MOVE.

Coal people are fucked

It turns out the coal industry is fucked. Natural gas fucked them. Not to mention wind and solar.

So basically you're going to UNGREEN us so that coal can do better? That's dumb. Oh, and coal communities eventually will be screwed either way because when all the coal is gone nothing will grow there. So Trumps fix is only temporary. Coal is dirty and bad. And fuck those losers. I give them the same advice I give people in Detroit. MOVE.
Do you really think it is a good idea to abandon a resource that is vital to our national security? Ever hear of thermal depolymerization?

Location%20of%20the%20world%27s%20main%20fossil%20fuel%20reserves.jpg

Coal people are fucked

Do you really think it is a good idea to abandon a resource that is vital to our national security? Ever hear of thermal depolymerization?

It will be there if and when we need it.

I'm just telling those coal miners who voted for trump are going to be disappointed

They should look for jobs in wind and solar. In fact lots of them want wind and solar to come to their areas. The same green haters will soon embrace it once there's money to be made. But they didn't do the r&d. No money in that.

Thanks for paving the way solyndra

Coal people are fucked

I'm just telling those coal miners who voted for trump are going to be disappointed
You do realize that converting power sources is not like flipping on a light switch, right?

Coal Decline Steepens in 2016 in India, China, U.S. - Institute for Energy Economics & Financial Analysis

World Coal Consumption To Surpass Oil By 2020 Due To Rising Demand In China And India

10/13/2013 11:59 pm ET | Updated Jan 23, 2014

That was written in 2013, my article was written this year;

World Coal Consumption To Surpass Oil By 2020 Due To Rising Demand In China And India | The Huffington Post

Tim Buckley May 16, 2016Read More →
Coal Decline Steepens in 2016 in India, China, U.S.

Seems to me that you need to get up to date. China is putting in more wind and solar now than anyone else.

China pushes up global renewable energy capacity

China was the world’s leading market across a number of renewable energy technologies in 2015 and helped to drive global renewable installed capacity to an estimated 913.48 Gigawatts (GW), says research and consulting firm GlobalData.

The company’s latest report states that China led the world for annual capacity additions in solar, biopower, small hydropower and onshore wind in 2015, although the National Development and Reform Commission confirmed reductions in the cut to China’s onshore wind feed-in tariffs, for projects approved after January 1, 2015 or commissioned after January 1, 2016.

As usual though, "decline" is not defined......its a technique particularly used by alarmists to paint a picture that does not at all conform with the reality. One will notice how many posts by alarmist use terms like "increased"........"fallen".........."elevated".........."decrease"........."additions"......
....."led".............."more"...........

Always vague ( ghey ) terms used by these people. ALWAYS.

But when you go take a closer look, you burst out laughing!!:bye1:

And things have changed that much since 2013??:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

U.S. Energy Information Administration Projections
Along with domestic projections, the EIA also publishes scenarios for international energy use in its annual International Energy Outlook. Figure 2.6 summarizes the most recent EIA projections of world coal use in 2010, 2020, and 2025, for three groups of countries—mature market economies (including most Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development [OECD] countries), emerging economies (such as China and India), and transitional economies (including the former Soviet Union, non-OECD Europe, and Eurasia). Again, these scenarios reflect variations in different growth rate parameters, but do not include policy scenarios such as future GHG constraints. In the absence of such policy constraints, world coal use is projected to grow dramatically in the emerging economies, primarily China and India. Much smaller tonnage growth is projected in the rest of the world, although relative growth rates are projected to be high in several other countries. By 2025, worldwide coal use increases by approximately 60 percent over 2002 levels in the reference case and by nearly 80 percent in the high economic growth scenario.

In the IEA Baseline Scenario, world coal use in 2050 is nearly three times greater than in 2003, and its share of world energy demand grows from 24 percent in 2003 to 34 percent in 2050

Highly comprehensive research on the future of coal >>

https://www.nap.edu/read/11977/chapter/4#38

Read this and you will then understand what is meant by "decline". As usual, when alarmists pop out statistics, if your radar doesn't come out full bore........well..........you're a sucker!!:spinner:
Coal: Research and Development to Support National Energy Policy (2007)
Chapter: 2 Projections for U.S. and World Coal Use

https://www.nap.edu/read/11977/chapter/4

A decade old. Much has changed since 2007. The price of electricity, taking in all factors, is cheaper now for solar and wind than any other sources of electricity.

Coal people are fucked

You do realize that converting power sources is not like flipping on a light switch, right?
You do realize this is the nation that brought the P-51 Mustang from an idea to a flying airplane in 151 days? You do realize that this is the nation that did the Manhattan Project in four years?

Now you may be lazy enough that if you aren't willing to dig in and get something done, you think that nobody should do that. But I have great faith in this nation, we decide to switch to a distributed grid, and go at it with a will, we can do it in less than a decade.

You do realize this is the nation that brought the P-51 Mustang from an idea to a flying airplane in 151 days? You do realize that this is the nation that did the Manhattan Project in four years?

Now you may be lazy enough that if you aren't willing to dig in and get something done, you think that nobody should do that. But I have great faith in this nation, we decide to switch to a distributed grid, and go at it with a will, we can do it in less than a decade.
Sure we can. So what? Why should we risk our national security?

Every miner will get a free cough and vomit bag...

Forum List

Back