The Color of Crime...Report Statistics Released

dilloduck said:
Agreed--so now that it is abvious that the front line has failed miserably, how do you suggest we get things back in order ? I still have grave doubts that punishing parents will be of much assistance.

Hell----you can't even force em to WORK for their welfare money--how ya going to force em to parent ?

dilloduck said:
Hell----you can't even force em to WORK for their welfare money--how ya going to force em to parent ?

It won't be easy, granted. But you have to start somewhere.

They don't have to work for their welfare money, but if they are on the freeway picking up trash 2 days a week instead of watching Springer.....

GotZoom said:
Congrats! Wonderful!

I'm curious...were they ever tempted by the "cool kids" who were doing things they weren't supposed to do?

You mean, did they pout, argue, beg, etc. to watch what 'everyone' else was watching, yeah, sometimes. It really comes with the territory. Say 'no' consistently enough, they do get it-most of the time.

On the other hand, if they went to a friend's house, I DID NOT call the other mom and say, "My kid can only watch X, Y, or Z. I do know each of the kids at one point or another saw something at other kids that 'Wowed' them, that those other parents wouldn't go nuts over. In each case, after listening to their explanations of whatever, I asked, "Do you think you'd want me to be like their mom?" Every time, "No, but you could lighten up a bit." I did when they went to high school. At some point, they have to set their own road-I think college is too late.

Kathianne said:
On the other hand, if they went to a friend's house, I DID NOT call the other mom and say, "My kid can only watch X, Y, or Z.

Reminds me of what my Son did awhile back.

He's '3' years old.

My step dad was trying to turn the TV to a kids show. When my step dad got to a specific show he thought would be 'kid friendly' he asked "How's that one, Ethan?"

Ethan looked up and said with a grin "My mom duzzent let us wach dat show."

VERY good, Son...He did the right thing.

:)

GotZoom said:
It won't be easy, granted. But you have to start somewhere.

They don't have to work for their welfare money, but if they are on the freeway picking up trash 2 days a week instead of watching Springer.....

GZ-----you can't even get them to do that !!!

dmp said:
Reminds me of what my Son did awhile back.

He's '3' years old.

My step dad was trying to turn the TV to a kids show. When my step dad got to a specific show he thought would be 'kid friendly' he asked "How's that one, Ethan?"

Ethan looked up and said with a grin "My mom duzzent let us wach dat show."

VERY good, Son...He did the right thing.

:)

Yup, if the messages are consistent, the kids learn to cope. Not only cope, but surprise, take after the decision makers. Doesn't mean they won't complain, sneak, etc. Does mean the message and rules stay consistent.

Forum List

Back