CDZ The Closing Of The Liberal Mind

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Well? We need to stop letting them beat us down with their nasty retorts, false accusations all to stifle debate and our Freedoms of speech

snip:
As the Left attains hegemony in areas such as law and higher education, beliefs harden into orthodoxy, and dissent is treated as heresy.
By Mark Pulliam

By Mark Pulliam
June 11, 2015

If you are a liberal lawyer from San Francisco, stop reading now. You will likely be annoyed, or offended. If you are among the “rest of us,” read on, for an amusing insight into the Left’s conception of intellectual discourse.

First, a bit of background: I am a lawyer, now living in Texas, who practiced for many years in California. As an opinionated conservative, I often write on legal topics. For more than 20 years, I have been a periodic contributor of op-ed pieces to (among other publications) the Daily Journal, a widely-read legal newspaper in California with editions in Los Angeles and San Francisco that, to its credit, tries to maintain editorial balance in an increasingly blue state.

A recent topic of interest to me is the case of Jeffrey Norsworthy, a prisoner in California state prison serving a life sentence for murder, whom a federal judge in San Francisco ruled was entitled to a sex-change operation (costing up to $100,000), at taxpayer expense, due to the Eighth Amendment’s bar on “cruel and unusual punishment.” Norsworthy, you see, is a transgender suffering from what his doctors called “gender dysphoria.” Without any supporting appellate precedent, Judge Jon Tigar—an Obama appointee—ruled that a vaginoplasty is a constitutionally-required medical procedure. The state of California is appealing the decision to the Ninth Circuit.

This is exactly the type of case that calls out for critical commentary. It touches on a number of sensitive policy issues, including judicial activism, the proper interpretation of the Eighth Amendment, and the rights of transgender prisoners.

Accordingly, I penned essays on the Norsworthy case for City Journal California and The American Spectator. The public response (judging from readers’ comments on my articles and to online news reports on the Norsworthy case) was overwhelmingly critical of Tigar’s decision. It is fair to summarize the general tone of readers’ comments as disbelief bordering on ridicule.

How Dare You Criticize Liberal Views

all of it here:
The Closing Of The Liberal Mind

It's amusing that conservatives, who historically are the ones that are afraid of change and things that are different, are accusing liberals of being closed minded.

Ironical irony.

Apparently somebody's selling them this cockamamie idea that political philosophy somehow relates to personal temperament, and they're gonna keep running that flag up the pole until they get somebody as gullible as they are to salute it.

Weird stuff.

How to beat a liberal.....

11401284_915126075197171_4874414363172423073_n.png

That article is making references to an opinion piece and response that I can't access. I might actually agree with him on this one but I can't just go along for the ride. I need to be able to read it myself.

Last edited:
"I am a lawyer, now living in Texas, who practiced for many years in California."

Is it possible to discuss the topic of the British Accredited Registry (BAR) with a member of a Union of Professionals, or will the shoe fit the other foot?

Forum List

Back