The Christmas Truce

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
1914 World War One erupted with an assassination of Archduke Ferdnand by a Serb nationalist. This lead to one of the bloodiest conflicts of the 20th Century.

December of that year was the deadline of when the war was to be over. Twas Christmas in the Trenches, adn the end was no where in sight. However, amid the muddy trenches and death,the lads from England began to hear voices. It was the Germans across No Man's Land. Christmas was a rich tradition in Germany, so amid the fighting and miserable conditions, the young men pulled together to celebrate Christ's birth.

The English soldiers also sang, in English. At some points, the same hymn or carol would ring out in France-in two seperate languages.

Eventually, a brave young German was seen on the horizon. All sights were fixed on him, but rather than a rifle or bayonet, he wielded a branch of an Evergreen tree. Slowly, men from either side met hand to hand in No Man's Land. They talked, well tried to, and smoked together and shared pictures from home. Some reports report a soccer game between the enemies. The Germans say the Germans won, the English say the English won.

And, as the night drew on, the men retreated back to their muddy trenches, cold and wishing of home no doubt. And the next day the fighting continued.

Just thought I'd throw some military history into the Christmas season. There's a special on the History channel soon, I'd suggest watching it. Kathianne-if you dont show this to your students I'll be very disappointed.

Merry Christmas.

Forum List

Back