The Catholic Church and HealthCare.... What if the Bishops Aren't Bluffing?

I truly fail to see how this is violates the constitution's 1st amendment protections on the establishment of religion. If adherents of Catholicism truly agree with the RCC's position on reproductive rights, then they should avoid seeking those services - even if they are to be made available. No one is forcing a patient to accept birth control, not even the law could force the issue.

But, what of the rest of us non-Catholics? Are we to also be bound by the RCC's morals and religious teachings?

I believe that if these organisations both employ and provide services to people without regard to their particular faith, then they should be held to the same standard as any other employer or service provider.

The Church cannot pay for your health services if that service includes things that are against its doctrine... such as birth control and abortion. Don't like that? Fine, work for some other organization.

Forcing the Church to pay for services against its doctrine breaches the First Amendment. And soon, Mr Obama is gonna find out just how seriously Catholics take our doctrine - even those who, personally, choose to ignore that doctrine.

Obama should not have picked a fight with the Church - we don't just have God on our side... we have vast numbers of non-Catholics too.

What am I missing here? When did the price of contraception become so high that just buying it out-of-pocket became an impossibility? That it became so necessary to have one's health insurance pay for it that NOT having that became an affront to civil liberties?

This is an assault on all religions. Would make a good Federal Court Case.

What am I missing here? I haven't seen where anyone has been mandated to change their religious views. Where, exactly, is the assault on religions.

Oh, goodie, another disingenuous troll here to tell us that buying contraception for someone else doesn't violate your belief that contraception is wrong, because YOU aren't using it.

Shut the fuck up, troll. Not intelligent, not original, not needed.

This is an assault on all religions. Would make a good Federal Court Case.

What am I missing here? I haven't seen where anyone has been mandated to change their religious views. Where, exactly, is the assault on religions.

Oh, goodie, another disingenuous troll here to tell us that buying contraception for someone else doesn't violate your belief that contraception is wrong, because YOU aren't using it.

Shut the fuck up, troll. Not intelligent, not original, not needed.

<flame>

That was probably unnecessary. It was an honest question that deserved either an answer or your silent contempt for my lack of understanding.

If the thought of answering the question "why do you think this way" is so offensive to you, maybe it's time for you to do some self-assessment. I'm not caught up in the psychobabble produced in organized religion as you, apparently, are. I think that would make me more of a free-thinking individual than a "troll".

But what would I know, right? Your so-called morals says something is wrong, and therefore that gives you the right to dictate to EVERYONE else how things will be. If I happen to disagree with you, I am disingenuous, not intelligent, not original, and not needed. Well, I happen to most heartily disagree with morons who can't answer a simple friggin question without name calling and trying to guess my motives (wrongly, I might add).

Sorry - I can't abide by the "It is so because I say it is" attitude that seems to be so pervasive in these topics. Read the fucking law books you simple minded twit.

How's that for originality?

</flame>

Forum List

Back