The Catholic Church and HealthCare.... What if the Bishops Aren't Bluffing?

Oct 8, 2009
Most posters will know, I'm not a big fan of starting threads on media articles, but I'm making an exception for this one. Because the article is a really good one, and has a lot of very significant information contained within it.

So, Obama takes on the Catholic Church... what exactly does that mean? What if the Catholic Church was forced to close its doors? I know that many, particularly on the left, would like to see the Church (and other faith based providers) forced out in order to achieve their 'Nanny State' agenda.... but just take a few minutes to consider the impact of your goal.

• 12.6 percent of hospitals are run by the Catholic Church
  • 15.6 percent of all admissions - Catholic Hospitals
  • 14.5 percent of all hospital expenses
  • a total for Catholic hospitals in 2010 of $98.6 billion

Catholic hospitals handle more than their share of Medicare (16.6 percent) and Medicaid (13.65) discharges, meaning that more than one in six seniors and disabled patients get attention from these hospitals, and more than one in every eight low-income patients as well. Almost a third (32 percent) of these hospitals are located in rural areas, where patients usually have few other options for care.

Catholic hospitals take a leading role in providing less-profitable services to patients. They lead the sector in breast cancer screenings, nutrition programs, trauma, geriatric services, and social work. In most of these areas, other non-profits come close, but hospitals run by state and local governments fall significantly off the pace. Where patients have trouble paying for care, Catholic hospitals cover more of the costs. For instance, Catholic Health Services in Florida provides free care to families below 200 percent of federal poverty line, accepting Medicaid reimbursements as payment in full, and caps costs at 20 percent of household income for families that fall between 200 percent and 400 percent of the federal poverty line.

What if Catholic bishops aren’t bluffing? « Hot Air

Read the article. Then tell me it's a good thing to force the Churches out of providing services. We do it better, cheaper, and for those who are most vulnerable.

Why is this the first Federal Health Care Bill not to exempt those of religious ideology?
All of the other Federal health care bills have.

• Banned
Why is this the first Federal Health Care Bill not to exempt those of religious ideology?
All of the other Federal health care bills have.

Because one of the aims is to force charitable providers out of the system, so that the government can run it all. It's for our own good.... despite the fact that it will cost more, force costs up, and lead to worse care..... none of that matters to the left. They just want to control everything.

Because one of the aims is to force charitable providers out of the system, so that the government can run it all.

Seems like you get more shrill and clueless every day.

Tin-Foil-Hat.jpg

So Catholics are major recipients of tax dollars?

Seems to me you are indicting same as a pejorative...

Would you like to expand same to the following?

“Means-tested welfare spending or aid to the poor…(non-welfare programs provide benefits and services for the general population)…in 2008, total government spending on means-tested welfare or aid to the poor amounted to $714 billion. This high level of welfare spending was the result of steady permanent growth in welfare spending over several decades rather than a short-term response to temporary economic conditions…$522 billion (73 percent) was federal expenditures, and $192 billion (27 percent) was state government funds.” Obama to Spend $10.3 Trillion on Welfare: Uncovering the Full Cost of Means-Tested Welfare or Aid to the Poor

So, I'm wondering...is you sneer reserved for Catholics, or for the poor as well?

I'm betting the bishops are far from bluffing. They mean it.

I would say that's a pretty safe bet.

I honestly don't understand how the left can just ignore the enormous amount of good that the Church - and other Churches do.... they appear to want higher taxes and total control of our lives. Scary shit.

I honestly don't understand how the left can just ignore the enormous amount of good that the Church - and other Churches do.... they appear to want higher taxes and total control of our lives. Scary shit.
I'd say the reason is one of the fundamental differences between the left and the right (as it's used at USMB and as folk are identified): They feel they know what is best for the masses, and we feel each has a choice to succeed or fail, both.

Since its founding - the Church has taken on much more dangerous opponents than Liberals. And it’s always survived.....

Most posters will know, I'm not a big fan of starting threads on media articles, but I'm making an exception for this one. Because the article is a really good one, and has a lot of very significant information contained within it.

So, Obama takes on the Catholic Church... what exactly does that mean? What if the Catholic Church was forced to close its doors? I know that many, particularly on the left, would like to see the Church (and other faith based providers) forced out in order to achieve their 'Nanny State' agenda.... but just take a few minutes to consider the impact of your goal.

• 12.6 percent of hospitals are run by the Catholic Church
  • 15.6 percent of all admissions - Catholic Hospitals
  • 14.5 percent of all hospital expenses
  • a total for Catholic hospitals in 2010 of $98.6 billion

Catholic hospitals handle more than their share of Medicare (16.6 percent) and Medicaid (13.65) discharges, meaning that more than one in six seniors and disabled patients get attention from these hospitals, and more than one in every eight low-income patients as well. Almost a third (32 percent) of these hospitals are located in rural areas, where patients usually have few other options for care.

Catholic hospitals take a leading role in providing less-profitable services to patients. They lead the sector in breast cancer screenings, nutrition programs, trauma, geriatric services, and social work. In most of these areas, other non-profits come close, but hospitals run by state and local governments fall significantly off the pace. Where patients have trouble paying for care, Catholic hospitals cover more of the costs. For instance, Catholic Health Services in Florida provides free care to families below 200 percent of federal poverty line, accepting Medicaid reimbursements as payment in full, and caps costs at 20 percent of household income for families that fall between 200 percent and 400 percent of the federal poverty line.

What if Catholic bishops aren’t bluffing? « Hot Air

Read the article. Then tell me it's a good thing to force the Churches out of providing services. We do it better, cheaper, and for those who are most vulnerable.

As long as hospitals remain open the communities, it won't matter. Systems will come in and buy out the faith based hospitals if they wish to get out of the healthcare game. These takeovers happen everyday in the USA.

I don't see why Catholic institutions would be forced to close. The requirements are the same for Catholic, Jewish, and Protestant institutions as well as government and privately owned institutions. I admit I haven't followed this issue very closely but it seems rather unlikely these church institutions are going to close their doors. Contraception coverage is part of health care plans in Italy and nearly all other European countries yet I haven't heard of any church institutions closing in these countries in protest.

Forum List

Back