The Case For Closed Primaries

A lot of mischief can be done on both sides. Rush Limbaugh promoted a vote for Hillary in the democrat primaries a few years ago just to skew the democrat results. It obviously didn't work on a National level but it can be pretty effective in a state and local level especially when the race is so close.

A lot of mischief can be done on both sides. Rush Limbaugh promoted a vote for Hillary in the democrat primaries a few years ago just to skew the democrat results. It obviously didn't work on a National level but it can be pretty effective in a state and local level especially when the race is so close.

Yeah, so what?

Closed primaries are the worst damn idea in the history of American politics. If they were all closed, all we'd EVER get to choose from in the general election is a right-wing extremist and a left-wing extremist.

Fail.

Exercising one's right to suffrage is very much American, dumbass. :thup:

Who's stopping you from voting? Explain in detail or STFU.

Nobody, my state's primaries are open, as they all should be.

But a Primary is for the party... not for the actual election of a position...

There is no good reason to vote within the system of the other party choosing their potential candidate... if you wish to do so, all you have to do is actually join the party...

Just as if it would be silly to be able to go to another state to influence their outcome, it is indeed silly to go to the process of another party to do the same thing...

And if you are so dead set to vote in the opposing party's primary, all you have to do is register within that party... not like you would be forced to vote for that party when the actual election comes...

Exercising one's right to suffrage is very much American, dumbass. :thup:

On the other side of town, there's a Home Owner's Association. I'm not part of it. But if I go over there and vote on something they are deciding, is that the "American" thing to do?

Closed primaries are the worst damn idea in the history of American politics. If they were all closed, all we'd EVER get to choose from in the general election is a right-wing extremist and a left-wing extremist.

Do you understand what a Primary is? It's not an election for office. It's where the party picks it's candidate. You, then, get to vote for one of the candidates, or write in someone else you prefer instead. Maybe you need to go start a new party.

Who's stopping you from voting? Explain in detail or STFU.

There is no good reason to vote within the system of the other party choosing their potential candidate... if you wish to do so, all you have to do is actually join the party...

Just as if it would be silly to be able to go to another state to influence their outcome, it is indeed silly to go to the process of another party to do the same thing...

And if you are so dead set to vote in the opposing party's primary, all you have to do is register within that party... not like you would be forced to vote for that party when the actual election comes...

I understand your argument, and in theory it makes some sense. But in reality, no presidential candidate, and few other candidates, stand any chance whatsoever of getting elected if they're not from one of the two main parties. For that reason, any registered voter should be free to vote in one primary or the other, regardless of whether some partisan doucher like DaGoose questions their motives. Like I said, if all primaries were closed, all we'd ever get to choose from in the general election is extremists from both sides. I would view that as a bad thing.

Do you understand what a Primary is? It's not an election for office. It's where the party picks it's candidate. You, then, get to vote for one of the candidates, or write in someone else you prefer instead. Maybe you need to go start a new party.

That's exactly what partisan hacks always say. And it's about as practical and convincing an argument as saying if you don't like what our government is doing you should move out of the country. :eusa_hand:

I understand your argument, and in theory it makes some sense. But in reality, no presidential candidate, and few other candidates, stand any chance whatsoever of getting elected if they're not from one of the two main parties. For that reason, any registered voter should be free to vote in one primary or the other, regardless of whether some partisan doucher like DaGoose questions their motives. Like I said, if all primaries were closed, all we'd ever get to choose from in the general election is extremists from both sides. I would view that as a bad thing.

So you would want Democrats selecting your candidate(s)?

Obviously you DON'T understand the argument or you would be saying things like that.

That's exactly what partisan hacks always say. And it's about as practical and convincing an argument as saying if you don't like what our government is doing you should move out of the country. :eusa_hand:

Pot meet kettle.

So you would want Democrats selecting your candidate(s)?

Obviously you DON'T understand the argument or you would be saying things like that.

:lmao: @ ^this knee-jerk partisan response.

Yeah, because I see you for the partisan fraud you are then I must be a republican. :lol:

As the state of Michigan prepares for Tuesday's presidential primary, questions remain about whether Democrats could skew the results via crossover voting. The state of Michigan has no party registration requirement, so any registered voter can participate in Tuesday's Republican presidential primary, including Democrats and independents.

Crossover voter threat in Michigan? Officials say they

This is plain wrong.

In Illinois if a person was to go in ask for a GOP ballot he or she would automatically be registered in the GOP party for the next two years.

You are touching on a nerve in relation to Individual States Sovereign Election Rights. Though I agree with you in Principle here. That Principle even carries over to how Delegate Votes get divided or not, and even to the Obligation of the Electors to follow through on the will of the States they represent, or just vote how they want or feel at the time.

Electoral College
U. S. Electoral College, Official - About the Electoral College

As the state of Michigan prepares for Tuesday's presidential primary, questions remain about whether Democrats could skew the results via crossover voting. The state of Michigan has no party registration requirement, so any registered voter can participate in Tuesday's Republican presidential primary, including Democrats and independents.

This is plain wrong.

In Illinois if a person was to go in ask for a GOP ballot he or she would automatically be registered in the GOP party for the next two years.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha...

That's not Universally true. Each State has It's Own Primary Rules. There is plenty room for screwing around on both sides of the Aisle.

And nobody stops anyone from voting in a closed primary either, moron.

See DiamondDave's above post for a good explanation as to why open primaries suck.

They only suck to partisan hacks like yourself.

OK....you want Democrats selecting your candidates. Got it. :eusa_clap:

I want to include all registered voters in the process. Only exclusionary partisan fuckwits like yourself feel threatened by open primaries.

And go ahead, allude one more time that I'm a republican, Diamond Dave needs a good laugh. :lol:

This is plain wrong.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha...

It is a glitch. I would credit that glitch for McCain getting such high numbers in the Primary, and Empty Space in the General Election.

Forum List

Back