The Case For Closed Primaries

That's exactly what partisan hacks always say.

Except that I'm an independent.

And it's about as practical and convincing an argument as saying if you don't like what our government is doing you should move out of the country. :eusa_hand:

No it's not. It's saying that just because you don't like the candidates that a given party produces doesn't give you the right to meddle in their internal affairs. Your position would claim that it's justified to go to another state to vote on their Senators and Representatives.

That's exactly what partisan hacks always say.

Except that I'm an independent.

And it's about as practical and convincing an argument as saying if you don't like what our government is doing you should move out of the country. :eusa_hand:

No it's not. It's saying that just because you don't like the candidates that a given party produces doesn't give you the right to meddle in their internal affairs. Your position would claim that it's justified to go to another state to vote on their Senators and Representatives.

^Strawman horseshit.

I guess that's the only place left to go when you don't have a leg to stand on.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

They only suck to partisan hacks like yourself.

OK....you want Democrats selecting your candidates. Got it. :eusa_clap:

I want to include all registered voters in the process. Only exclusionary partisan fuckwits like yourself feel threatened by open primaries.

And go ahead, allude one more time that I'm a republican, Diamond Dave needs a good laugh. :lol:

I am not threatened by them, I just view them as inconsistent with the rest of the States, and having the potential to undermine the integrity of the process.

I want to include all registered voters in the process. Only exclusionary partisan fuckwits like yourself feel threatened by open primaries.

And go ahead, allude one more time that I'm a republican, Diamond Dave needs a good laugh. :lol:

I am not threatened by them, I just view them as inconsistent with the rest of the States, and having the potential to undermine the integrity of the process.

I don't know what you mean by that.

They only suck to partisan hacks like yourself.

Party primaries and partisan by design and fact. :lol:

Why shouldn't parties get to decide membership criteria and who gets to vote in their primary, on their ballot?

What he means is that less than half of the states have open primaries. Those few states that have open primaries are the ones that have no integrity in their process.

Nobody, my state's primaries are open, as they all should be.

But a Primary is for the party... not for the actual election of a position...

There is no good reason to vote within the system of the other party choosing their potential candidate... if you wish to do so, all you have to do is actually join the party...

Just as if it would be silly to be able to go to another state to influence their outcome, it is indeed silly to go to the process of another party to do the same thing...

And if you are so dead set to vote in the opposing party's primary, all you have to do is register within that party... not like you would be forced to vote for that party when the actual election comes...

I understand your argument, and in theory it makes some sense. But in reality, no presidential candidate, and few other candidates, stand any chance whatsoever of getting elected if they're not from one of the two main parties. For that reason, any registered voter should be free to vote in one primary or the other, regardless of whether some partisan doucher like DaGoose questions their motives. Like I said, if all primaries were closed, all we'd ever get to choose from in the general election is extremists from both sides. I would view that as a bad thing.

Whether they have a 'chance' or not.. you have the freedom to write in for whatever candidate or person you choose...

If this were for actual position, and there was limiting on who could vote, i would agree with you... this is for party only... and you are not forced to vote for any particular party candidate... and if you want to exercise the ability to vote in a party's primary, all you have to do is register within that party.... so you are not prevented from voting in a primary

What he means is that less than half of the states have open primaries. Those few states that have open primaries are the ones that have no integrity in their process.

no integrity or less integrity?

hyperbullshit post?

There are groups from both Parties that Manipulate Primary Outcomes by having their supporters, Especially when Their Candidate runs unopposed or is a sure win, Vote for the Candidate, They think Their Candidate will wipe the floor with.

Why shouldn't parties get to decide membership criteria and who gets to vote in their primary, on their ballot?

Though I agree with you, It is a Question of who runs the State Elections, the States or the Parties? I'm Independent in NY. I don't vote in Primaries here. I'm okay with it.

hyperbullshit post?

Nope, not at all. Let's ask the voters in Michigan............

The campaign is also calling Democrats, targeting union members tell them Romney was against the auto bailout, and asking them to cross over and vote for Santorum in the open primary

Crossover, Robocalls, and Michigan Shennanigans | Care2 Causes

For weeks now, political observers and politicians have been whispering about the impact Democrats could have on the state’s GOP primary, with the idea being that they would vote for Santorum in a concerted and deliberate effort to prevent Mitt Romney from winning — and prolonging the Republican presidential race in the process

Could crossover voters play spoiler in Michigan? - The Washington Post

No matter who wins the other side will blame "crossover voting" as the reason. So, IMO, there is no integrity in that process.

Because the two parties already own a duopoly on the election process. The only practical way to balance that is with open primaries.

hyperbullshit post?

Nope, not at all. Let's ask the voters in Michigan............

The campaign is also calling Democrats, targeting union members tell them Romney was against the auto bailout, and asking them to cross over and vote for Santorum in the open primary

Crossover, Robocalls, and Michigan Shennanigans | Care2 Causes

For weeks now, political observers and politicians have been whispering about the impact Democrats could have on the state’s GOP primary, with the idea being that they would vote for Santorum in a concerted and deliberate effort to prevent Mitt Romney from winning — and prolonging the Republican presidential race in the process

Could crossover voters play spoiler in Michigan? - The Washington Post

No matter who wins the other side will blame "crossover voting" as the reason. So, IMO, there is no integrity in that process.

The exception being if the Majority of Votes Cast in the Primary for a specific Candidate, was close enough to the Votes cast in that State, for that same Candidate, in the General Election.

Though I agree with you, It is a Question of who runs the State Elections, the States or the Parties? I'm Independent in NY. I don't vote in Primaries here. I'm okay with it.

The states and the parties have to get together and hash out what system is best. But there is no reason the state has to mandate a closed or open party primary.

Are primaries designed to be runoff elections or are they designed for the parties to select a candidate to represent them?

Crossover voter threat in Michigan? Officials say they

This is plain wrong.

In Illinois if a person was to go in ask for a GOP ballot he or she would automatically be registered in the GOP party for the next two years.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha...

It is a glitch. I would credit that glitch for McCain getting such high numbers in the Primary, and Empty Space in the General Election.

The real problem is the lack of education in civics in America.

Hmmmm....

Ethics,

Value,

Principle,

Ideal,

Integrity.

Who knew this was a problem. :eek:

I think you are on to something here.

:lol: ;) :)

The states and the parties have to get together and hash out what system is best. But there is no reason the state has to mandate a closed or open party primary.

Are primaries designed to be runoff elections or are they designed for the parties to select a candidate to represent them?

Yes. At this point though, it has to be done with the Cooperation and Consent of the States. It is also a State Constitutional Matter.

If it's so easy to simply join the party to vote in it's primary, how exactly would closed primaries do anything to stop this 'alleged' electoral process perversion known as cross-over voting? :dunno:

Forum List

Back