The Bible makes a lot of sense if you realize it wasn't written by modern people...

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
...there's a lot of symbolism that people of the time would know was symbolism, but modern people insist on reading literally.

For example, the people who read the creation story when it was first written understood the symbolism of saying the world was created in seven days. Seven is a number which symbolizes "perfection." Jesus said to forgive "seven times seventy times" which is a number which meant ultimate perfection.

People who read the Bible knew that "forty" was a "large number", not a literal number of days that the flood lasted, not the literal number of years the Hebrews wandered in the desert, not the literal number of days Jesus fasted in the wilderness.
Some things in the Bible are literally true: the Virgin birth of Jesus, the Resurrection of Jesus, Jesus' dual nature as both God and Man.

...there's a lot of symbolism that people of the time would know was symbolism, but modern people insist on reading literally.

For example, the people who read the creation story when it was first written understood the symbolism of saying the world was created in seven days. Seven is a number which symbolizes "perfection." Jesus said to forgive "seven times seventy times" which is a number which meant ultimate perfection.

People who read the Bible knew that "forty" was a "large number", not a literal number of days that the flood lasted, not the literal number of years the Hebrews wandered in the desert, not the literal number of days Jesus fasted in the wilderness.
Some things in the Bible are literally true: the Virgin birth of Jesus, the Resurrection of Jesus, Jesus' dual nature as both God and Man.
I love cherries! Pick some for me while you're at it...

So, that's your argument? I'm "cherry picking"?

Do you believe the world was literally created in six days, and on the seventh God rested?

Do you believe Noah had two of every animal in his ark?

Do you believe there was a garden somewhere where life was perfect and a real human couple named Adam and Eve lived there?

Do you believe the world was literally created in six days, and on the seventh God rested?

Do you believe there was a garden somewhere where life was perfect and a real human couple named Adam and Eve lived there?
I take it that in the face of contrary info; you've abandoned these "facts"?

The point of my thread is that it's not relevant whether or not these events happened literally or whether they were stories created to teach us lessons about God and our relationship to him.

The point of the creation story is that God created the universe out of nothing, it was not created from something else, and God and his creation are not one and the same.

The point of the Noah story is that God has promised not to flood the Earth again, that is his Covenant.

The point of the Adam and Eve story is that the human race was created without sin, and it was our choice to become sinful.

The point of my thread is that it's not relevant whether or not these events happened literally or whether they were stories created to teach us lessons about God and our relationship to him.

The point of the creation story is that God created the universe out of nothing, it was not created from something else, and God and his creation are not one and the same.

The point of the Noah story is that God has promised not to flood the Earth again, that is his Covenant.

The point of the Adam and Eve story is that the human race was created without sin, and it was our choice to become sinful.
Keep going... What is the point of the story of "virgin birth", The trifractal deitey? And all the "New Testament" stuff? Or is it just the foundational material of Christianity we shouldn't take too seriously..?

Keep going... What is the point of the story of "virgin birth", The trifractal deitey? And all the "New Testament" stuff? Or is it just the foundational material of Christianity we shouldn't take too seriously..?
Jesus died for our sins, to reconcile us to God, and rose from the dead on the the third day.

UMMM,,,, the flood didnt last forty days,,,

Jesus died for our sins, to reconcile us to God, and rose from the dead on the the third day.
Uh-huh... What sins were those?

All of them.

All of them.
Show me just one...

All of them.
Show me just one...
I'm not sure what you're driving at.

All of them.
Show me just one...
Back to the first post I made... you're just cherry picking what's literally true, and what isn't in order to satisfy yourself...

All of them.
Show me just one...
Back to the first post I made... you're just cherry picking what's literally true, and what isn't in order to satisfy yourself...
The Bible was written by hundreds of different people over a time span of over 1000 years. How can you believe that all of it should be read the same way?

All of them.
Show me just one...
The Bible was written by hundreds of different people over a time span of over 1000 years. How can you believe that all of it should be read the same way?
I dont. How do you determine what, within its volumes should be believed, and what shouldnt?.

All of them.
Show me just one...
I dont. How do you determine what, within its volumes should be believed, and what shouldnt?.
I believe it all. All of it means something.

However, some of it is symbolic rather than literally true.

So Jesus wasn't in the tomb 3 days. Coulda been 3 hours, 3 weeks, 3 months?

yup, sure do.

So Jesus wasn't in the tomb 3 days. Coulda been 3 hours, 3 weeks, 3 months?
Or three thoughts... Three feelz..? Who knows?

I was at a Christian bookstore and there was a poster "proving" that the Earth was 6,000 years old. They started with Adam and traced his lineage to Jesus, and added up how old each was when he had a son, then they added 2,000 years to the total. Stuff like that makes Christianity look dumb.

Forum List

Back