The Best Commencement Address Ever!

"...the revered 40-hour workweek is for losers..."

It's amazing that those who blather on about 'family values' seem to think that the more the parents are away from their children, the better the family will be.

Neal Boortz posted this on his on his website...I wish he had given it...it's a home run!!!

1. … you can bet your tassels…[y]ou may not like much of what I have to say, and that’s fine. You will remember it though. Especially after about 10 years out there in the real world. This, it goes without saying, does not apply to those of you who will seek your careers and your fortunes as government employees.

2. Now, I realize that most of you consider yourselves Liberals. In fact, you are probably very proud of your liberal views. You care so much. You feel so much. You want to help so much. After all, you’re a compassionate and caring person, aren’t you now? Well, isn’t that just so extraordinarily special. Now, at this age, is as good a time as any to be a liberal; as good a time as any to know absolutely everything. You have plenty of time, starting tomorrow, for the truth to set in.

3. So here are the first assignments for your initial class in reality: Pay attention to the news, read newspapers, and listen to the words and phrases that proud Liberals use to promote their causes. Then, compare the words of the left to the words and phrases you hear from those evil, heartless, greedy conservatives.

a. From the Left you will hear “I feel.” From the Right you will hear “I think.” From the Liberals you will hear references to groups — The Blacks, the Poor, the Rich, the Disadvantaged, the Less Fortunate. From the Right you will hear references to individuals. On the Left you hear talk of group rights; on the Right, individual rights. That about sums it up, really: Liberals feel. Liberals care. They are pack animals whose identity is tied up in group dynamics. Conservatives think — and, setting aside the theocracy crowd, their identity is centered on the individual.

4. Liberals feel that their favored groups have enforceable rights to the property and services of productive individuals. Conservatives, I among them I might add, think that individuals have the right to protect their lives and their property from the plunder of the masses. In college you developed a group mentality, but if you look closely at your diplomas you will see that they have your individual names on them. Not the name of your school mascot, or of your fraternity or sorority, but your name. Your group identity is going away. Your recognition and appreciation of your individual identity starts now.

a. If, by the time you reach the age of 30, you do not consider yourself to be a conservative, rush right back here as quickly as you can and apply for a faculty position. These people will welcome you with open arms. They will welcome you, that is, so long as you haven’t developed an individual identity.

5. Soon, you are going to get a full time job. You’re also going to get a lifelong work partner. This partner isn’t going to help you do your job. This partner is just going to sit back and wait for payday. This partner doesn’t want to share in your effort, but in your earnings.

a. Your new lifelong partner is actually an agent; an agent representing a strange and diverse group of people; an agent for every teenager with an illegitimate child; an agent for a research scientist who wanted to make some cash answering the age-old question of why monkeys grind their teeth. An agent for some poor demented hippie who considers herself to be a meaningful and talented artist, but who just can’t manage to sell any of her artwork on the open market.

b. As you become successful it will seize about 40% of everything you earn. And no, I’m sorry, there just isn’t any way you can fire this agent of plunder,…

6. …here are some ideas you need to expunge as soon as possible. These ideas may work well in academic environment, but they fail miserably out there in the real world.
a. Diversity! You have been taught that the real value of any group of people …is based on diversity. This is a favored liberal ideal because diversity is based not on an individuals abilities or character, but on a person’s identity and status as a member of a group….No matter what your professors have taught you over the last four years, you are about to learn that diversity is absolutely no replacement for excellence, ability, and individual hard work.

b. Now, “rights.” We have witnessed an obscene explosion of so-called “rights” in the last few decades, usually emanating from college campuses…. Forget those rights! I’ll tell you what your rights are. You have a right to live free, and to the results of 60% -75% of your labor. I’ll also tell you have no right to any portion of the life or labor of another….The people who have been telling you about all the rights you have are simply exercising one of theirs – the right to be imbeciles. Their being imbeciles didn’t cost anyone else either property or time. It’s their right, and they exercise it brilliantly.

7. Now for the “less fortunate.” To imply that one person is homeless, destitute, dirty, drunk, spaced out on drugs, unemployable, and generally miserable because he is “less fortunate” is to imply that a successful person – one with a job, a home and a future – is in that position because he or she was “fortunate.” The dictionary says that fortunate means “having derived good from an unexpected place.” There is nothing unexpected about deriving good from hard work. There is also nothing unexpected about deriving misery from choosing drugs, alcohol, and the street.

a. If the Liberal Left can create the common perception that success and failure are simple matters of “fortune” or “luck,” then it is easy to promote and justify their various income redistribution schemes. …It’s not luck, my friends. It’s choice. One of the greatest lessons I ever learned was in a book by Og Mandino, entitled, “The Greatest Secret in the World.” The lesson? Very simple: “Use wisely your power of choice.”

b. Envy is a powerful emotion. …Politicians use envy to get votes and power. And they keep that power by promising the envious that the envied will be punished: “The rich will pay their fair share of taxes if I have anything to do with it.” The truth is that the top 10% of income earners in this country pays almost 50% of all income taxes collected.

c. Speaking of earning, the revered 40-hour workweek is for losers. Forty hours should be considered the minimum, not the maximum. You don’t see highly successful people clocking out of the office every afternoon at five. The losers are the ones caught up in that afternoon rush hour. The winners drive home in the dark.
Texas A&M Commencement Address – The students gave a standing ovation; the faculty were deathly silent! « The Ghostfighters

Another fail fo the haters. Come to work with this liberal. I will show you what real work is all about while you wimper on the groung from exhaustion. We do wrk 10 hour days 6 days a week.But I pay well if your a real man and know what you are doing. Sorry no weak willed women like polichic is allowed.

You miss the point, and in your case, I understand that it is not intentional...
...you just don't get it.

1. Conservatives believe in the principle of variety, while liberal perspectives result in a narrowing uniformity. Conservatives believe in choice of healthcare, education, religion, occupation, and various other areas. Under conservative principles, there will be differences in class, material condition and other inequalities. Equality will be of opportunity, not necessarily of result. The only uniformity will be before the law. Society will not be perfect. Consider the results of the rule of ideologues of the last century.

2. Still too difficult?
See, in conservative purview, you are free to choose any gainful employment or enterprise that is lawful.

But....don't complain if you don't gain as much as the next guy who made a different choice.
Get it?

Envy and covetousness are not reputable reasons for redress.

It's funniest that the OP pretends the speech was given at Texas A & M, a university that consistently ranks in the top ten most conservative colleges in the country.

I'm sure that in this imaginary scenario in the OP, if the faculty wasn't applauding, it was because as educated reasonably intelligent conservatives,

they were profoundly embarassed to have a useless big mouth like Boortz ruining such an important occasion.

Obamacare goes much farther in cost savings, limits on profit, low cost clinics, care guidelines (against torts), etc.That you don't get told about on the Pub Propganda Machine.

"... limits on profit..."
Only a fool or a totalitarian would think that that phrase has any import....

Well, you certainly fill the bill on both counts...

"You may, for instance, think that you have a right to health care. After all, President Obama said so, didn’t he? But you cannot receive health-care unless some doctor or health practitioner surrenders some of his time – his life – to you. He may be willing to do this for compensation, but that’s his choice. You have no “right” to his time or property. You have no right to his or any other person’s life or to any portion thereof."
Boortz, Op. Cit.

Obamacare goes much farther in cost savings, limits on profit, low cost clinics, care guidelines (against torts), etc.That you don't get told about on the Pub Propganda Machine.

"... limits on profit..."
Only a fool or a totalitarian would think that that phrase has any import....

Well, you certainly fill the bill on both counts...

"You may, for instance, think that you have a right to health care. After all, President Obama said so, didn’t he? But you cannot receive health-care unless some doctor or health practitioner surrenders some of his time – his life – to you. He may be willing to do this for compensation, but that’s his choice. You have no “right” to his time or property. You have no right to his or any other person’s life or to any portion thereof."
Boortz, Op. Cit.

Ouch! Another torpedo into Franco's ship!

Odd how Statists think they're entitled to the property and sweat-equity of other Amervicans just because they were born here.

The health of the nation's people is a vital national interest. Since that is irrefutable, then it is irrefutable that the government has not only the right, but the obligation, to involve itself with healthcare wherever healthcare is lacking.

60 hour weeks are insanity- horrible for family life, etc. Why are we the only modern country without 1 month or more paid vacation after 1 year, living wage, affordable guaranteed health care- We and New Guinea arethe only countries without parental leave. Great job, Pubbies and dupes...Regular Banana Republic we're getting here...LOL.

But thanks for 9/11, the stupidest wars EVER, and the DEPRESSION! Morons

American exceptionalism.

The other 'modern countries' wouldn't be able to have any of those character-sapping accouterments were not America defending them.

1. The United States of America has helped underwrite global security for more than six decades with the blood of our citizens and the strength of our arms. The service and sacrifice of our men and women in uniform has promoted peace and prosperity from Germany to Korea, and enabled democracy to take hold in places like the Balkans. We have borne this burden not because we seek to impose our will. We have done so out of enlightened self-interest -- because we seek a better future for our children and grandchildren, and we believe that their lives will be better if others' children and grandchildren can live in freedom and prosperity.
So yes, the instruments of war do have a role to play in preserving the peace.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/11/world/europe/11prexy.text.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1

2. Maddox makes the case for American indispensability. “American values are Western values,” she titles her third chapter. She stresses to her non-American readers that whatever differences they might have with America, they would do well to understand that the United States ultimately stands for individual rights, political freedom, and the free exchange of goods—all distinctly Western ideas.
CJ Mobile

Now, being so franco, those two quotes are probably over your head....have an elementary school grad explain them to you....

I say again.

Buffalo chips
Meadow Muffins
Deer Droppings
Cow Patties
Bull Flops
Horse Shit.

It's as free private markets as military volunteerism. You and you. Get up here you're volunteered.

In case it isn't obvious. Your statement is, for lack of a less direct term, a lie.

I believe that our friend Aileen is paid by the administration to mouth said prevarications.
And earn it, she does.
Who?

Sorry....it's a carry-over from post #31...

For those of you who missed if, lol, Boortz never really gave that speech.

That is quite a gift you have there: the ability to discover what has already been discovered!
Bravo!

1. The first line of the OP:
"Neal Boortz posted this on his on his website...I wish he had given it...it's a home run!!!"

2. As this next question is substantive, it may be beyond your gifts:

What does your post have to do with the truths in the speech?

You sure are on record defending ObamaCare, aren't you?

Indeed, precisely because I want private markets to remain front and center in our system. I find the (important) tweaks in the ACA much more desirable than any kind of government takeover.
Obamacare is private markets? That's like saying being caught by a press gang is volunteering.

Utter horseshit.

It seems the white house has set the tone for discussion for the left again. Lie. Don't matter if it's an obvious lie, do it anyway and repeat it often and never waver from it.

The Affordable Healthcare Act IS private markets. PLEASE provide information that Obama is building hospitals and hiring doctors and nurses.

I'll be waiting.............................

"...the revered 40-hour workweek is for losers..."

It's amazing that those who blather on about 'family values' seem to think that the more the parents are away from their children, the better the family will be.

1. So very nice- and rare- for one of you Leftists to show respect for the family.
Is it possible that you are coming out against Hillary Clinton's precis in "It Takes a Village'?

2. Imagine, if taxes were not so high, thanks to you 'tax and spend Democrats,' perhaps more mothers would be able to be home with the children....
...ya' think?

3. Leftism, Liberalism, and the sub-heading, feminism, are hardly in favor of parents being at home raising their children.

In fact, they have come out strongly against women having the right....THE RIGHT...to stay at home!

Need proof?
Sure.

Logical as it seems that women should be prepared for events such as divorce and widowhood, marriage and family may reduce opportunities for outside work or education. But the solution, according to Simone de Beauvoir in an interview with Betty Friedan is “No woman should be authorized to stay at home and raise her children. Society should be totally different. Women should not have that choice precisely because if there is such a choice, too many women will make that one.”
“Sex, Society, and the Female Dilemma,” Saturday Review, June 14, 1975, p. 18.

Like all totalitarian movements, the goal is not to give more freedom, but to take away choice.

Sorry you wrote that post, huh?
Bet you're grinding your teeth right now.

That is quite a gift you have there: the ability to discover what has already been discovered!
Bravo!

"Neal Boortz posted this on his on his website...I wish he had given it...it's a home run!!!"

Mr. Boortz wrote it as a protest of his never having been invited to deliver a commencement speech, despite decades of hosting radio talk shows. As he says, "The final straw was when Kermit the Frog got an invitation from a Northeast college."
snopes.com: Neal Boortz Commencement Speech

Looks like old Neil was FEELING sorry for himself.

It's funniest that the OP pretends the speech was given at Texas A & M, a university that consistently ranks in the top ten most conservative colleges in the country.

I'm sure that in this imaginary scenario in the OP, if the faculty wasn't applauding, it was because as educated reasonably intelligent conservatives,

they were profoundly embarassed to have a useless big mouth like Boortz ruining such an important occasion.

Nice to see our Left-wing Umpa Lumpa checking in.

Boortz is a grad of Texas A & M.

Care to take a shot at any of the points he made?
No?
Not even one??
Ad hominem easier?

In a related note:
Let me give you a little tip: if you want liberalism to continue in this country, you have to realize that liberal students are being let down by their professors! They have liberal school teachers, and read the liberal press! Because of this weak preparation, they are unable to argue, to think beyond the first knee-jerk impulse. They can’t put together a logical thought. Now, compare that to a college Republican…
Coulter

You could sue her for invading your privacy....

The health of the nation's people is a vital national interest. Since that is irrefutable, then it is irrefutable that the government has not only the right, but the obligation, to involve itself with healthcare wherever healthcare is lacking.

How about the vital national interest of getting folks to work...give 'em a car...
How about the vital national interest in smart folks....we could strap you down and 'Clockwork Orange' learning into you!

Bravo!

Mr. Boortz wrote it as a protest of his never having been invited to deliver a commencement speech, despite decades of hosting radio talk shows. As he says, "The final straw was when Kermit the Frog got an invitation from a Northeast college."
snopes.com: Neal Boortz Commencement Speech

Looks like old Neil was FEELING sorry for himself.

OK....I know you feel left out, BoringFriendlessGuy....(that is your destiny, isn't it?)...but take a crack at it:

"As this next question is substantive, it may be beyond your gifts:

What does your post have to do with the truths in the speech?"

Forum List

Back