The Battle against the IRS continues

eagle1462010

Diamond Member
May 17, 2013

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/federal-judge-orders-irs-explain-lost-emails

WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal judge on Thursday ordered the IRS to explain under oath how it lost a trove of emails to and from a central figure in the agency's tea party controversy.

U.S. District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan gave the tax agency a month to submit the explanation in writing. Sullivan said he is also appointing a federal magistrate to see whether the lost emails can be obtained from other sources.

Sullivan issued the order as part of a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit by Judicial Watch, a conservative watchdog group. He said the IRS declaration must be signed, under oath, by the appropriate IRS official.

"I'm going to hold tight to that Aug. 10 declaration," Sullivan said.

The IRS says it lost the emails in 2011 when Lois Lerner's computer crashed. At the time, Lerner headed the IRS division that processes applications for tax-exempt status. She has since retired.

Lerner, who refused to answer questions at two House committee hearings, has become a central figure in several congressional investigations over the handling of tea party applications. At both hearings, Lerner cited her Fifth Amendment right not to incriminate herself.

IRS Commissioner John Koskinen has testified on the lost emails before Congress at least three times. Each time he was under oath.

Koskinen said he first learned there was a problem with Lerner's computer in February but didn't learn that emails were lost until April. The IRS notified Congress June 13.

Judicial Watch lawyer Ramona Cotca complained that the IRS never informed her group or the court about the lost emails, even though Sullivan had ordered the IRS to produce documents related to the information request on a monthly basis.

Geoffrey Klimas, a Justice Department lawyer representing the IRS, said the agency had no legal obligation to tell Judicial Watch about emails that may have been destroyed two years before the group filed its request for information.

Judicial Watch filed a series of requests with the IRS shortly after the tea party controversy erupted in May 2013. Among its requests, the watchdog group wanted communications Lerner had with others concerning the handling of applications for tax-exempt status since Jan. 1, 2010.

Judicial Watch filed a lawsuit against the IRS in October, saying the agency didn't produce any documents. Since then, the IRS started to produce some documents in February, Cotca said.

Stockman files motion ordering the arrest of Lois Lerner | Congressman Steve Stockman

The text of the resolution, H.Res. 664, follows.

Providing for the arrest of Lois G. Lerner to answer the charge of contempt of Congress

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

Mr. STOCKMAN submitted the following resolution, which was referred to the Committee on ______________

RESOLUTION

Providing for the arrest of Lois G. Lerner to answer the charge of contempt of Congress

Whereas Lois G. Lerner, former Director, Exempt Organizations, Internal Revenue Service, has been found to be in contempt of Congress for willfully and intentionally refusing to comply with a congressional subpoena duly issued by the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, thereby obstructing the Congress in the lawful exercise of its constitutionally mandated legislative powers; and,

Whereas such behavior is an insult to the dignity of the House of Representatives, an attack upon the integrity of its proceedings, works violence upon the rights of the House collectively, and therefore implicates the long-recognized inherent power of the House to punish and commit for contempt, privileged under the Constitution; and,

Whereas recent history with similarly contumacious and insolent witnesses such as Eric Himpton Holder, Junior, strongly suggests that the present statutory judicial rubric set up to punish and reform such insubordinate and obstructionist witnesses would be ineffective in this case, as it is likely that the US Attorney for the District of Columbia would refuse to perform his lawful duty to bring the offending contemnor Lerner before a Grand Jury and prosecute the same for her misconduct pursuant to section 104 of the Revised Statutes of the United States (2 U.S.C. 194) and section 102 of the Revised Statutes of the United States (2 U.S.C. 192); and,

Whereas the executive and judicial branches’ prolonged and dawdling failure to prosecute Attorney General Holder’s insolent contempt of the 112th Congress strongly suggests that a like proceeding against contemnor Lerner would be similarly futile, and the threat of such prosecution has clearly been insufficient to encourage contemnor Lerner to be honest and candid with the Congress regarding the heinous actions of the Internal Revenue Service;

Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That the Speaker issue his warrant, directed to the Sergeant-at-Arms, or his deputy, commanding him to arrest and take into custody forthwith, wherever to be found, the body of Lois G. Lerner, and bring her to the bar of the House without delay to answer to the charge of contempt of its authority, breach of its privileges, and gross and wanton insult to the integrity of its proceedings, and in the meantime keep the body of Lerner in his custody in the common jail of the District of Columbia, subject to the further order of the House. While in custody, Lerner shall enjoy no special privileges beyond those extended to her fellow inmates, shall not access any computer or telephone, and shall not be visited by anyone other than her counsel, clergy, physician, or family.

The Court order doesn't mean compliance, but just another step in the ongoing legal battle against Lerner and the IRS for their corruption. It is painfully obvious to the Obama drones that the IRS targeted Conservative Groups. It is obvious to conservatives that the DOJ will never do a dang thing about it.

Individual groups targeted by the IRS don't have that problem as they proceed with the lawsuits against those who abused their powers.

It would be interesting to see Lerner thrown in the can by Congress for contempt. I'd love to see that. Don't know if it will actually happen, but it would simply make my day.

The IRS could have (and should have) been abolished during Bush's first term. One of the reasons they won the election is because they promised to do it if they got a Republican majority in Congress. After they got in, that was the last we heard about it. Republicans are just as much to blame (if not more) as the Democrats.
Had they done what they promised, there would be no IRS scandal because there would be no IRS! They chose not to keep their promise and wonder why they're being abandoned by their base in favor of Tea Party candidates. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

The IRS could have (and should have) been abolished during Bush's first term. One of the reasons they won the election is because they promised to do it if they got a Republican majority in Congress. After they got in, that was the last we heard about it. Republicans are just as much to blame (if not more) as the Democrats.
Had they done what they promised, there would be no IRS scandal because there would be no IRS! They chose not to keep their promise and wonder why they're being abandoned by their base in favor of Tea Party candidates. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

It would make my day to see them Gone with the Wind............

I favor the Flat Tax or the original tax plan by the Founders......

Send in my Tax return on a dang post card and end the endless paper trail of the IRS....

Their abuse of power is transparent as is their cover up.

Send in my Tax return on a dang post card and end the endless paper trail of the IRS....

There should never have been an income tax in the first place, there should be a consumption tax. The RINOs lied to us to get the libertarian vote and they did NOT deliver on their promise. They deserve to be run out of office, like Cantor.

There should never have been an income tax in the first place, there should be a consumption tax. The RINOs lied to us to get the libertarian vote and they did NOT deliver on their promise. They deserve to be run out of office, like Cantor.

I love it when a RINO gets mounted. But they have the money to fool the uniformed public, which is exactly why so few are being taken out. The sooner the Rino's and status go get fired the better.

Pay your taxes so we can have good roads to drive on. Jezzz!

What a typical dumb ass response. Typical from the party of asses.

I've always paid taxes. Simplifying the tax codes still requires people to pay taxes. Consumption taxes still require people to pay taxes.

So your post is the usual BS.

Forum List

Back