The American Rocket Scientists You Never Knew.

JQPublic1

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2012
When John Glenn became the first American in space, I thought, WOW! It must have taken top mathematical geniuses to calculate all the variables necessary to get him up and back safely.

while Glenn was the hero who risked his life. The mathematicians who crunched the numbers necessary to bring success went unheralded.

At the time I envisioned NASA as the domain of brainy White males

in white smocks with clipboards in hand. Television brought images of the control room where rows of white faces sat in front of monitors and weird looking machinery. I marveled at the seeming wizardry and silently gave credit to those White men for being mathematical geniuses.

Fifty six years later I discovered just how wrong I was. The success of Glen's historic flight depended on a female mathematician who helped with the calculations. Does that shock you? In the1960s, that women could be so deeply involved in a man's domain was astounding in and of itself. But the story of this female mathematician took on an even more incredible turn when I earned she was ... OMG,! She is BLACK!

I was floored. After all these years this story is just now surfacing. The shock was just beginning to wear off when I discovered there was not just one, there were two other Black female mathematical geniuses working for NASA at that time.

A film is being made to finally give these fine Americans their just recognition and rewards. I am chartering a bus to take as many people with me as I can to join me when in viewing it on the big screen.
How three black women helped send John Glenn into orbit

2909.jpg

Katherine Johnson at Nasa Langley Research Center in 1980. Photograph: Nasa

When John Glenn became the first American in space, I thought, WOW! It must have taken top mathematical geniuses to calculate all the variables necessary to get him up and back safely.

while Glenn was the hero who risked his life. The mathematicians who crunched the numbers necessary to bring success went unheralded.

in white smocks with clipboards in hand. Television brought images of the control room where rows of white faces sat in front of monitors and weird looking machinery. I marveled at the seeming wizardry and silently gave credit to those White men for being mathematical geniuses.

Fifty six years later I discovered just how wrong I was. The success of Glen's historic flight depended on a female mathematician who helped with the calculations. Does that shock you? In the1960s, that women could be so deeply involved in a man's domain was astounding in and of itself. But the story of this female mathematician took on an even more incredible turn when I earned she was ... OMG,! She is BLACK!

I was floored. After all these years this story is just now surfacing. The shock was just beginning to wear off when I discovered there was not just one, there were two other Black female mathematical geniuses working for NASA at that time.

A film is being made to finally give these fine Americans their just recognition and rewards. I am chartering a bus to take as many people with me as I can to join me when in viewing it on the big screen.

2909.jpg

Thanks for posting this JQ, and happy holidays, my brother.

I remember hearing my father talking about her back around the time that she was working there.

As you may recall from previous conversations that we have had, my father was an educator and often told me:

"There are two histories in America...the one that you learn in school and the history that the school system chooses to not teach".

2909.jpg

I remember hearing my father talking about her back around the time that she was working there.

As you may recall from previous conversations that we have had, my father was an educator and often told me:

"There are two histories in America...the one that you learn in school and the history that the school system chooses to not teach".
Like those history books that no longer include anything about the Wright Bros, first humans to fly, to make room for Guatemalan precinct captains? And why would you post an image of a white woman at the keyboard?

2909.jpg

It is the liberal way to NOT post achievements of people of African American decent, as people like these very smart women do not end up being part of the liberal victimhood, that we are supposed to think. I applaud these great women for using Gods gift to achieve the greatness that this country and God gave them.

If these woman were during Obama's term, "they didn't build that". And instead of sending people to space, they would be giving political correctness speeches about how great Islam is.

Barack Obama: Nasa must try to make Muslims 'feel good'
The head of the Nasa has said Barack Obama told him to make "reaching out to the Muslim world" one of the space agency's top priorities.

2909.jpg

Sorry to burst you racial group orgasm, but...

http://www.vdare.com/articles/hyped...-black-women-were-not-what-got-us-to-the-moon

2909.jpg

Like those history books that no longer include anything about the Wright Bros, first humans to fly, to make room for Guatemalan precinct captains? And why would you post an image of a white woman at the keyboard?

As usual , the authors of American history often embellishes the accomplishments of white males and neglects the achievements of other Americans. Sometimes those embellishments are reviewed by real historical scholars and put into proper perspective. For instance:

The Wright Brothers were NOT the first humans to fly. Have you forgotten the fact that manned hot air balloons debuted half a century before the Wright's
12 second powered flight. See how gullible you are? And even THAT powered flight "achievement" was precedented by Europeans.

The photograph you see is a picture of Katherine Johnson, an African American....look closer or read the ink I provided for validation. And for those who are too offended by this revelation to go to the link..here are pictures of the other two Black female mathematical geniuses:

3000.jpg

Mary Jackson at NASA Langley Research Centre in 1980. Photograph: Bob Nye/NASA
1834.jpg

Dorothy Vaughan in her twenties. Photograph: Courtesy the Family of Dorothy Johnson Vaughan

Last edited:

2909.jpg

http://www.vdare.com/articles/hyped...-black-women-were-not-what-got-us-to-the-moon

You can't burst anything. I refuse to empower you at all. I merely uncovered the contributions these Black women made to the space program. The revelation of their accomplishments is especially astounding considering the era in which they worked and lived. You too should celebrate these real American heroines who defied the odds and stereotypes that are still so much a part of our "social conditioning."

2909.jpg

It is the liberal way to NOT post achievements of people of African American decent, as people like these very smart women do not end up being part of the liberal victimhood, that we are supposed to think. I applaud these great women for using Gods gift to achieve the greatness that this country and God gave them.

If these woman were during Obama's term, "they didn't build that". And instead of sending people to space, they would be giving political correctness speeches about how great Islam is.

Barack Obama: Nasa must try to make Muslims 'feel good'
The head of the Nasa has said Barack Obama told him to make "reaching out to the Muslim world" one of the space agency's top priorities.

The hidden history of the USA showing Back people in a positive light is not part of the pre college curriculum. Why not? It is because White liberal AND conservatives made the rules. They were not inclined to include anything but negative images relating to slavery and poverty.

2909.jpg

You really think that in a nation of 180 million people, that there were not white people good enough at math to do that work?

How about a kudos to the white administrators who were happy to hire "people of color" based on their abilities in an era when AA was a pale shadow of what it is today (no pun intended)

2909.jpg

You really think that in a nation of 180 million people, that there were not white people good enough at math to do that work?

How about a kudos to the white administrators who were happy to hire "people of color" based on their abilities in an era when AA was a pale shadow of what it is today (no pun intended)

How about looking at it another way?. Neither MOST White people or the MOST of any other people in this country at the time were good enough at math to do the work. These Black women were stand outs in any crowd in any era. I am just proud that they were also Americans. Aren't YOU?

Yes, we know about the great White men who were also mathematical and literary geniuses. Their history is recorded everywhere and dominates all levels of academia. We also know the reasoning behind that phenomenon. It is integral to the mass social conditioning apparatus designed to inculcate every school child, Black, White or whatever, that White is superior and Black is inferior. Why else would such positive facts about Black cognizance be ignored? Instead , the effects of social conditioning are capitalized on and used copiously to portray Blacks as less intelligent, less ambitious and less worthy..with nothing to contribute.

When wise men saw that genius is not exclusive to White people, as exhibited by these three women, a ray of hope broke through the dark clouds of hopelessness. In this case NASA hired these women because they were just as good or better mathematicians than comparable White men and could be PAID LESS.

2909.jpg

How about looking at it another way?. Neither MOST White people or the MOST of any other people in this country at the time were good enough at math to do the work. These Black women were stand outs in any crowd in any era. I am just proud that they were also Americans. Aren't YOU?

Of course most people are not qualified to do the math to do a space shot.

Yes, EVERYONE seriously involved was a "stand out".

I have pride in the accomplishments of the nation in the Space Race. I have always known that there were a lot of people who's names I did not know involved. This news tidbit changes nothing for me.

Yes, we know about the great White men who were also mathematical and literary geniuses. Their history is recorded everywhere and dominates all levels of academia. We also know the reasoning behind that phenomenon. It is integral to the mass social conditioning apparatus designed to inculcate every school child, Black, White or whatever, that White is superior and Black is inferior. Why else would such positive facts about Black cognizance be ignored? Instead , the effects of social conditioning are capitalized on and used copiously to portray Blacks as less intelligent, less ambitious and less worthy..with nothing to contribute.

Your conspiracy theory is noted. It is also at odds with the national consensus on Race of the last 60 years.

Why were three individuals among hundreds of thousands not famous? Gee, I don't know.

How many white rocket scientists can you name? 5? 10?

When wise men saw that genius is not exclusive to White people, as exhibited by these three women, a ray of hope broke through the dark clouds of hopelessness. In this case NASA hired these women because they were just as good or better mathematicians than comparable White men and could be PAID LESS.

The USA of the 1960s were not a dystopia of hopelessness.

2909.jpg

I have pride in the accomplishments of the nation in the Space Race. I have always known that there were a lot of people who's names I did not know involved. This news tidbit changes nothing for me.

Your conspiracy theory is noted. It is also at odds with the national consensus on Race of the last 60 years.

Why were three individuals among hundreds of thousands not famous? Gee, I don't know.

For SOME, life seemed hopeless! Have you heard of southern sharecroppers? That reality was not imagined. In some places potential was stifled by Jim Crow and opportunity was suppressed by abject racism and discrimination

2909.jpg

A few minor points-

Alan Sheppard was the first American in space, John Glenn was the first to orbit the earth.

She doesn't look that black. BO looks blacker and he's only half black, so I have to wonder how black she really was.

2909.jpg

As usual , the authors of American history often embellishes the accomplishments of white males and neglects the achievements of other Americans. Sometimes those embellishments are reviewed by real historical scholars and put into proper perspective. For instance:

The Wright Brothers were NOT the first humans to fly. Have you forgotten the fact that manned hot air balloons debuted half a century before the Wright's
12 second powered flight. See how gullible you are? And even THAT powered flight "achievement" was precedented by Europeans.

The photograph you see is a picture of Katherine Johnson, an African American....look closer or read the ink I provided for validation. And for those who are too offended by this revelation to go to the link..here are pictures of the other two Black female mathematical geniuses:

3000.jpg

1834.jpg

Dorothy Vaughan in her twenties. Photograph: Courtesy the Family of Dorothy Johnson Vaughan

A hot air balloon is not flight. It's floatation caused by a lighter mass floating on a denser medium. It's displacement and follows Archimedes principle.
Archimedes' principle indicates that the upward buoyant force that is exerted on a body immersed in a fluid, whether fully or partially submerged, is equal to the weight of the fluid that the body displaces and it acts in the upward direction at the centre of mass of the displaced fluid. Archimedes' principle is a law of physics fundamental to fluid mechanics. It was formulated by Archimedes of Syracuse.[1]

Flight is defined by aerodynamic principles of lift, drag, thrust and weight.

Now who is revising history here?

2909.jpg

A few minor points-

Alan Sheppard was the first American in space, John Glenn was the first to orbit the earth.

She doesn't look that black. BO looks blacker and he's only half black, so I have to wonder how black she really was.

2909.jpg

A few minor points-

I stand corrected. Glenn was the first American to orbit the earth. Sheppard was the first American in space. Thank you.

But, I made no mistake in the racial identification of Katherine Johnson. She identified as Black and photos taken of her when she was younger leave little doubt. Here is a link to a video where she poses with photos of her parents, brothers and sisters...
There is no doubt about her being an African American.
Katherine G. Johnson | MAKERS

2909.jpg

I constructed this op with a singular purpose in mind. To uplift and bring notice to these Black women who have excelled in the sciences but have gone unheralded. Against the backdrop of negative news we hear every day , I thought this would be a welcome change. Your attempt to trivialize my efforts and to distract from the impact these revelations have made on all who read this, is a reflection on your character. My narrative was not meant for you, for I knew you and others like you can never understand what it means when the underdog rises above those who seek to keep him down.

You and your children don't lack role models in the sciences and mathematics. Social conditioning perpetuates the myth that Blacks are inferior and Whites are superior. With media perpetuating that myth many Blacks, themselves, are convinced of their "inferiority." White kids too are inculcated with the notion that Whiteness is the ultimate symbol of good, high intelligence and morality.. You then build stereotypes and use those to demonize the entire Black populace.

My aim is to counter that negativity with images and true stories of Blacks who defy your conventional expectations of them with excellence. This isn't about YOU or what you think. I'm betting there are others who are more receptive to this kind of news and relish it as much as I do! It is those white people that have walked with Blacks every step of the way toward egalitarianism.
That is my intended audience and, of course, all ambitious minorities.

2909.jpg

3000.jpg

1834.jpg

A hot air balloon is not flight. It's floatation caused by a lighter mass floating on a denser medium. It's displacement and follows Archimedes principle.
Archimedes' principle indicates that the upward buoyant force that is exerted on a body immersed in a fluid, whether fully or partially submerged, is equal to the weight of the fluid that the body displaces and it acts in the upward direction at the centre of mass of the displaced fluid. Archimedes' principle is a law of physics fundamental to fluid mechanics. It was formulated by Archimedes of Syracuse.[1]

Flight is defined by aerodynamic principles of lift, drag, thrust and weight.

Now who is revising history here?
Did you read the link I provided? take it up with THEM. I'd rather focus on the op. Aren't these women wonderful?

2909.jpg

You can't burst anything. I refuse to empower you at all. I merely uncovered the contributions these Black women made to the space program. The revelation of their accomplishments is especially astounding considering the era in which they worked and lived. You too should celebrate these real American heroines who defied the odds and stereotypes that are still so much a part of our "social conditioning."
Fake history.

Forum List

Back