The American Bald Eagle

Discussion in 'Photography and Imaging' started by Care4all, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,098
    yesterday in the Meadow in front of my house, there was a Bald eagle, eating something he had caught.

It was so big! I thought at first, it was a Wild turkey in the meadow, but then i noticed the white head, so i ran and got my camera and zoomed in on it and low and behold, a Bald Eagle....

The pics are not that clear....i so wish they were...it was an amazing site! Especially when it took off...i missed the pic of it's full body in flight, but you can see on the last photo, where i got one wing of it in flight, HOW huge, huge, huge these creatures really are...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is where you can see his left wing behind the bulldozer...it was at least 3 feet long...6 feet spead when flying!

[​IMG]

and this is my last shot of him. If you look in the center of the pics at the tree line, you can see him in the middle of the pic, flying away...

[​IMG]

the whole experience was awesome!

And this was a yearling I believe and not even a full grown Bald Eagle because he had speckled white spots on his back near his neck area...

I just LOVE the nature that i am able to experience by living here on the Maine Coast!

Care

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  2. Care4all

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,098
    Are the white dots on the back of the neck normal and not just on the Bald eagle young?

It is a Bald eagle, no?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    i love the pics....we gotta get you a sureshot or something lol

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Absolutely majestic birds, aren't they?

Tasty too.

Not as good as snail darters or loons, but if you boil 'em long enough they make a decent soup.

We're blessed to be able to live here, aren't we Care?

I was showing off my new place to some chums up from MASS who'd been shoving their new home on the North shore of MASS up my ass for the last year or so.

So, we're standing on the hill overlooking the pond when a couple beavers make their appearance.

My friends are excited by that, then the deer and fawn show up on the other side of the pond.

"Did you plan that," my chum asked?

Just then, an America Bald eagle flies over the pond, and since we're on a hill overlooking said pond, the thing is a eye level about 50 feet in front of us.

Damn, I said, "That eagle is making a pest of itself, again."

They've never been back!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  5. Care4all

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,098
    i'm telling ya, i can NOT believe how big this eagle was....not until it flew off...at least 6 to 7 feet wing span, maybe even an 8 foot wingspan... i just zoomed in on my last pic up there where it is at the tree tops....it is just absolutely HUGE, HUGE, HUGE....

GO HERE: then find the way to zoom in...

Picasa Web Albums - John Doe - Bald Eagle in...

Yes, i feel very blessed to be here.

6. Care4all

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,098
    Here is a closeup of my last picture of the Bald eagle....I'm telling ya, those trees are huge that he was flying by, which gives you and idea of his at least 7 foot wing span...

[​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    Bald eagles are making a come back. I'm not sure if they are still on the endangered species list or not. They are a beautiful bird and I've seen several in flight around here.

Interesting story. When I was in high school, our mascot was the Bald Eagle. We had a stuffed one in a display that had been shot by one of our teachers before it was on the endangered list (late 50's, early 60's). It was in that display for many many years when some idiot from the fish and game department came in and said it was illegal in the 90's and took it. It took a lot of legal wrangling to get it back for the school and when they did, they didn't put it back in the display but hung it up over the cafeteria and some idiot vandalized it and ripped the head off of it. I never heard if they ever found the head.

I guess PETA won this one. Though I have no idea what kind of statement vandalizing a stuffed bald eagle makes for them.

8. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    You realize killing an eagle is a felony, of course.

Eagles hunt fish and other animals...but they are also carrion birds, btw. And Golden Eagles are even bigger.

They can kill young deer by striking them behind the head with their "fists".

9. Care4all

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,098
    The bald eagle was taken off of the Endangered Species list within the last couple of years, i believe?

We got them all over the place where I live....mainly because of the Penobscot Bay/River is a good feeding ground, I would suppose, plus plenty of forests to nest.

I would never eat one!!! No matter how good Ed says they are..... I got trouple eating turkey now, with all the wild turkeys that hang out at my feeder....they are now considered pets....my cat is scared to death of them though....they are so big!

10. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Lots of eagles in Maine...heck there are a pair of nesting osprey very close to my boat slip. I love watching them.