The 36-hour work week/3-day weekend

:cuckoo: How do you get that the person is saying that they are entitled to something ? He is just saying that if he works a good day's work for someone, then he should at least get a fair days pay for it.

If he can't get a fair days pay for it, and this because their has become a trend of not paying a fair days pay for a fair days work even when it can be paid, then he is saying that it would be better for him to just go on welfare and such instead of getting crapped on by someone who is playing him for a fool.

Even the rich have learned the system, and they had begun paying in some situations way less, and it was all because they knew the government would subsidize the rest of the money if the employee was to stay around for them.

"Fair" is subjective and meaningless. The only thing "fair" is that they get paid what they agreed to be paid when they took the job and perform the work they agreed to perform. I started off making minimum wage. Some of the people I worked with still work there. They are making more than minimum wage, but I am make significantly more than MW and more than what they make. Why should what they think is "fair" count more than the fact that I went to college and then grad school while they drank beer? They should not be entitled to have what people who worked their way through college have because they sat on their hands.

People who went to college and got a degree, as long as it is in something employers want, should get paid more than those who don't. But the minimum anyone should get paid to work is a living wage.

While that sounds good and logical, it's not actually true.

Unless you assume that what employers want is a "degree". But no employer wants a degree. They want people who can perform the job. Getting a degree doesn't actually proven anything.

The best answer to that I have heard yet, was an employer who said 'Your raise is effective, when you are'.

Meaning, when you are effective at your job, you'll get a raise for it.

I've seen people who were self taught, who had more experience, expertise, and quality of work, than a dozen college graduates combined.

Additionally, there are other aspects of working, that go beyond merely 'doing my job'. Your attitude for example, is extremely important. You might be the best worker in the company, but if you complain and b!tch and moan the whole day, you are not getting a raise.

When you treat other people like crap, or have a super arrogant demeanor, or if you are always all up in other people's business "Well Jim shouldn't have done X, and I can't believe he left work early on Friday".... you are not getting raise, and shouldn't be surprised when you are the least paid person in the place.

At my company, we have people upfront, with all the engineers and such, and production in the back. If a position opens up, in the front area, and they need someone to fill that position, who are they going to pick from production, to move up front? Someone with a good attitude, that doesn't talk bad about the CEO. Because see, now they have to deal with that person every day.

You have two people, both working in production, and one is b!tching all the time... do they want that guy up front where they have hear him b!tch all day long? No. B!tching whiny complainy people don't get raises.

Bob is never getting a promotion, because Bob spends all day talking about how great he is. No one wants to be around Bob.

Or Dan smells. Dan is always complaining that he never is involved with projects. Well heck no, Dan doesn't use deodorant. No one wants to be in a project with Dan.

All of these aspects, make people not worth as much money. When you complain about a living wage, generally, there are reason why people are not paid as much.

I'm sorry, but just showing up, and working for 8 hours, does not entitle you to the ever ambiguous, ever changing, "living wage".

You want to be paid more? Change what you do, to something that has more value. Change your attitude, to something people actually want to be around. Change your hygiene, so that people don't keep you away from you.

We have a software engineer in our company, that is paid barely $30K. He is constantly complaining. But he stinks so bad, no one wants to work with him. They give him little projects that he can do on his own.

If the dude just had a shower every morning, he could double his income.

The same is true at McDonald's. If you have a burger flipper who smells, and you are the Store Manager, are you going to promote Stinking Sam to shift manager, so that you have to work in the office with him every day? No. He's going to stay flipping burgers.

Again, it's incumbent on the worker, to make themselves more valuable. Not the company.

Last edited:
"Fair" is subjective and meaningless. The only thing "fair" is that they get paid what they agreed to be paid when they took the job and perform the work they agreed to perform. I started off making minimum wage. Some of the people I worked with still work there. They are making more than minimum wage, but I am make significantly more than MW and more than what they make. Why should what they think is "fair" count more than the fact that I went to college and then grad school while they drank beer? They should not be entitled to have what people who worked their way through college have because they sat on their hands.
People who went to college and got a degree, as long as it is in something employers want, should get paid more than those who don't. But the minimum anyone should get paid to work is a living wage.

sure because an 18 year old should at least be paid enough to mow grass to be able to afford a house in the suburbs, a new Volvo, and have enough left over to support a family of 4 just because somewhere some former Hostess factory worker now mows grass for a living :eusa_boohoo:

Give me a break.
You don't understand what I mean when I say a living wage.
A living wage for one, not a family of 4.
about 575 a month in rent another 500 or so for utilities. Car payment to get to work. About $2000 in the State of Florida is what I would consider a living wage.
If he wants to support a family then he needs better job skills.

Your post makes perfect sense if you believe that you are entitled to something, particularly other people's money, instead of having to improve yourself and your lot in life by your own efforts. Why bother going to college or working overtime, or getting additional training when all one needs to do is sit around all day whining about needing a living wage? Nothing like American democrats to turn Maslow's hierarchy into a single tier.

:cuckoo: How do you get that the person is saying that they are entitled to something ? He is just saying that if he works a good day's work for someone, then he should at least get a fair days pay for it.

If he can't get a fair days pay for it, and this because their has become a trend of not paying a fair days pay for a fair days work even when it can be paid, then he is saying that it would be better for him to just go on welfare and such instead of getting crapped on by someone who is playing him for a fool.

Even the rich have learned the system, and they had begun paying in some situations way less, and it was all because they knew the government would subsidize the rest of the money if the employee was to stay around for them.

"A good day's work".

You can work really hard at something, and still earn nothing.

"Working" done not mean your work has value.

Who determines the value? The customer does.

How much the customer is willing to pay, determines how much the work is worth.

"A good day's work", does not have a pre-determined value.

It is incumbent on the worker, to move from doing work that has a low value, to work that has a higher value.

When you demand that people are paid more money, than the value of their work, one of three things will happen.

One: The customers refuse to pay for the higher labor costs, and the store or business closes.

Two: The business replaces the high cost labor, with low cost machines.

Three: The cost is passed on to consumers, the resulting inflation makes those with higher wages, just as poor as before.

A good days work deserves a good days pay.
Enough for a place to sleep and food to eat. A car to drive.
I'm not talking --
article-2275206-17669A13000005DC-794_634x431.jpg

You'd smell too if you had to live like this.

Last edited:

This is a nice slogan, but the real question is who gets to decide what a 'good days pay' is? Should it be a private matter, or should government make the call?

"A good day's work".

It is incumbent on the worker, to move from doing work that has a low value, to work that has a higher value.

When you demand that people are paid more money, than the value of their work, one of three things will happen.

One: The customers refuse to pay for the higher labor costs, and the store or business closes.

Three: The cost is passed on to consumers, the resulting inflation makes those with higher wages, just as poor as before.

Again.... you can't pay more than how much the customer is willing to pay for the work.

If I want someone to mow my lawn, and you have a lawn mowing company, and I call you up, and offer to pay you $40 to mow my lawn, you can't pay an employee to $50 to mow my lawn.

"But car!"

Doesn't matter.

"But place to live, and food to eat!"

It's called math dude. You can't pay him more than how much the customer is willing to pay. Unless you actually WANT to go out of business and end up bankrupt. But most employers are smarter than that.

This is a nice slogan, but the real question is who gets to decide what a 'good days pay' is? Should it be a private matter, or should government make the call?

Well, he says 'car to drive, food to eat, and place to live'.

But even then.... I bought a car for $3,000 bucks. Nothing to look at, but it gets me around. You can buy a car for $500 bucks. Food, same thing. Chicken and rice, is $50 a month. I know, I eat that. Place to live.... but what kind of place to live? I know studio apartments for $300 a month.

You can get all that stuff he wants, for minimum, and still have money left over. I know.... I've done it.

"well I want a 2 bedroom apartment, with cable TV, and a late model with low mileage, and I want to go out to eat every other day, at an at least decent place with steak..."

Yeah, you can't do that on minimum wage.

"Living Wage" is a purely arbitrary number pulled out of someone's butt, and presented as 'fact'.

Well, he says 'car to drive, food to eat, and place to live'.

But even then.... I bought a car for $3,000 bucks. Nothing to look at, but it gets me around. You can buy a car for $500 bucks. Food, same thing. Chicken and rice, is $50 a month. I know, I eat that. Place to live.... but what kind of place to live? I know studio apartments for $300 a month.

You can get all that stuff he wants, for minimum, and still have money left over. I know.... I've done it.

"well I want a 2 bedroom apartment, with cable TV, and a late model with low mileage, and I want to go out to eat every other day, at an at least decent place with steak..."

Yeah, you can't do that on minimum wage.

"Living Wage" is a purely arbitrary number pulled out of someone's butt, and presented as 'fact'.

Right, it's just a question of whether we work out what our wages through voluntary agreement, or via government mandate.

sure because an 18 year old should at least be paid enough to mow grass to be able to afford a house in the suburbs, a new Volvo, and have enough left over to support a family of 4 just because somewhere some former Hostess factory worker now mows grass for a living :eusa_boohoo:

Give me a break.
about 575 a month in rent another 500 or so for utilities. Car payment to get to work. About $2000 in the State of Florida is what I would consider a living wage.

Ok, so Florida ups their minimum wage to $12.5/hr.

The first thing that is going to happen, is a bunch of people lose their jobs.

The second thing that is going to happen, is the prices of food, and prices of rent, are going to go up.

That is exactly what happened in the 90s, and what happened in 2009.

Rental prices have gone up, did you not notice that in 2010?

Think about it..... All those people who didn't lose their jobs, had a raise from $5.25, to $7.25. Suddenly thousands of people who were not able to afford apartments before, can now afford apartments.

Supply and demand. Supply of housing doesn't change that quickly. But the Demand drastically increased very quickly.

Demand up, supply is steady. What happens to price? It went up.

The same thing will happen if you bump up minimum wage from $8 in Florida, to $12.5. That would likely have an even larger dramatic effect of driving up rental prices. The only offset to that, would be how many people lost their jobs, and then earned zero.

So if the minimum wage kills the economy enough, you might not see a huge price spike. Not sure if that's a better trade off though.

Well it sure shouldn't be a greedy no good corrupt individual, for whom by some weird chance or way in life, he some how ended up with a company that just so happens to depend on employee's in order to make the company what it is capable of making. Sadly in the process of things, he decides not to pay what he can pay in which would be fair, but instead pay's as less as he can just because he is a greedy bad person in life. The other sad thing, is that we are all different in our ways, and we are different in our personalities and/or characters, and sadly there are those who are vulnerable due to their kindness and meekness in life, yet they are not to be mistreated according to the word of God himself. The story of Job tells us about this in the Bible, and the Book of Job is a great one.

Now just because the people are this way in many ways, doesn't mean they are ripe to be exploited or to be cheated in life, but some how when it is being done to them, there are those who will say or do anything to justify it all.

Last edited:
"A good day's work".

Again.... you can't pay more than how much the customer is willing to pay for the work.

If I want someone to mow my lawn, and you have a lawn mowing company, and I call you up, and offer to pay you $40 to mow my lawn, you can't pay an employee to $50 to mow my lawn.

"But car!"

Doesn't matter.

"But place to live, and food to eat!"

It's called math dude. You can't pay him more than how much the customer is willing to pay. Unless you actually WANT to go out of business and end up bankrupt. But most employers are smarter than that.
There is about a million different angles being presented in this conversation, and it causes the main jest of the conversation to get lost in the mix of it all. This thing keeps bouncing around like a rubber ball back and forth, and durring this dribbling the goal post or basket keeps getting moved.

Give me a break.

Ok, so Florida ups their minimum wage to $12.5/hr.

The first thing that is going to happen, is a bunch of people lose their jobs.

The second thing that is going to happen, is the prices of food, and prices of rent, are going to go up.

That is exactly what happened in the 90s, and what happened in 2009.

Rental prices have gone up, did you not notice that in 2010?

Think about it..... All those people who didn't lose their jobs, had a raise from $5.25, to $7.25. Suddenly thousands of people who were not able to afford apartments before, can now afford apartments.

Supply and demand. Supply of housing doesn't change that quickly. But the Demand drastically increased very quickly.

Demand up, supply is steady. What happens to price? It went up.

The same thing will happen if you bump up minimum wage from $8 in Florida, to $12.5. That would likely have an even larger dramatic effect of driving up rental prices. The only offset to that, would be how many people lost their jobs, and then earned zero.

So if the minimum wage kills the economy enough, you might not see a huge price spike. Not sure if that's a better trade off though.
Link the minimum wage to cost of living.

Well it sure shouldn't be a greedy no good corrupt individual, for whom by some weird chance or way in life, he some how ended up with a company that just so happens to depend on employee's in order to make the company what it is capable of making. Sadly in the process of things, he decides not to pay what he can pay in which would be fair, but instead pay's as less as he can just because he is a greedy bad person in life. The other sad thing, is that we are all different in our ways, and we are different in our personalities and/or characters, and sadly there are those who are vulnerable due to their kindness and meekness in life, yet they are not to be mistreated according to the word of God himself. The story of Job tells us about this in the Bible, and the Book of Job is a great one.

Now just because the people are this way in many ways, doesn't mean they are ripe to be exploited or to be cheated in life, but some how when it is being done to them, there are those who will say or do anything to justify it all.

Well I can just make up stuff too. But that doesn't mean that your invented reality, is actually true.

Take your first claim.......

Well it sure shouldn't be a greedy no good corrupt individual, for whom by some weird chance or way in life, he some how ended up with a company

Just some weird chance? Just some random accident, he just 'happened' to some how end up with a company?

Chris Gardner was homeless. He worked his butt off, while sometimes sleeping in bathrooms at the subway station. He was ironing his shirt, so he could go to work, at a men's homeless shelter.

Now Chris Gardner, after working for Dean Witter Reynolds as a trainee, and then full time employee, opened his own company, and today is a multi-millionaire.

That 'just happened'? That was a 'weird chance' in your world?

Brian Scudamore, was sitting in line at a McDonalds, when he notices a beat up pickup truck, with a sign saying junk removal. Scudamore thought he could do that to pay for college. So he used up all the money he had, $700, to buy used pickup truck, and painted a sign "We'll Stash, Your Trash", and called his business "The Rubbish Boys". He drove around the city looking for junk, and trash the city wouldn't pick up, knocking on doors to drum up business.

Scudamore is now a multi-millionaire, with 1-800-GOT-JUNK? operating in Canada, the US, and Australia.

Phil Alexander Robertson, was a drunk, working at a bar, who happened to like duck hunting. Fed up with lousy duck callers that never worked well, he started whittling his own duck caller on the back porch of his house. Finally coming up with one that worked, he drove around to stores, asking if they would sell his duck caller. He was rejected, and even laughed at, while being escorted to the door.

Now, Robertson is a multi-millionaire with a massive corporation, and his own TV show.

Alyssa Smith, loved jewelry, but getting out of college, she was broke. She got a retail job at a Jewelry store, and learned everything she could about the business. After saving up some money, and doing some flee market selling, she purchased the materials to make her first collection of Jewelry.

Alyssa Smith Jewellery (British spelling), is now an internationally seller of hand crafted jewelry.
Alyssa Smith - International jewellery designer

Doug McMillon, current CEO of Walmart.... started out in 1984, working as a low wage employee, moving skids out of trucks at a Distribution center for Walmart. Minimum wage, summer employee. He worked two summers there. After getting a college degree, he applied for, and got a position in Walmarts Buyer Trainee. That would be $30K a year job in today's money. He worked a dozen positions after completing the training, from buyer for food, apparel, and sporting goods, to general merchandise manager, to over a dozen different positions, until he was finally given a position in 2006, as CEO of Sam's Club, and now of the entire company of Walmart.

The vast majority of the people who make it to high level position, or have built their own company.... they are there because they worked their butts off.

It didn't 'just happen'. It wasn't some 'weird chance'. It was hard work, effort, and patience.

Nick Woodman loved to snap pictures of his adventures, but was frustrated difficulty holding the camera, or having it damaged in the action. He, and his girlfriend, sold shell necklaces, to raise the money to build his prototype cameras. Once he had the cameras, and some additional money from his parents, he hoped in his VW Mini Bus, traveling up and down California, selling his cameras to surf shops. He often slept in the VW Bus, at the surf shops, in order to make sales.

Now GoPro is an international company selling billions.

It didn't 'just happen'. It wasn't some 'weird chance'. It was hard work, effort, and patience.

You need to grow up a little. Not trying to be insulting. This is how most successful people, end up successful. A group of college friends making Sports shirts, sleeping in their cars at the factory, because they didn't even have money for rent.

The owner of my company, spent 20 years working as a low level engineer. When the company CEO announced he wanted out of the business, he mortgaged his house, and his father in law, mortgaged his house, to buy the business... and then worked to get the business profitable again, before they went bankrupt, lost both their homes in foreclosure, and ended up with nothing.

Massive risk. Massive work. Long long hours. It wasn't some 'weird chance'. It was hard work, and effort.

Stop living in your leftist mythical reality, where all the rich people, are only rich by some magic. Yeah, it makes you feel better about yourself, because then you can just blame your lack of success on magic, instead of you lack of effort. But it's not true. And you are only harming yourself, by giving yourself an excuse to not try. Why try in life, if all the successful people are only successful by some "weird chance" that 'just happened'? Right? But it's not true. Grow up.

How about leaving the decision up to the person who has to actually do the work?

Now why would you make a claim that you know what the average truck driver makes, and this especially if you are an advocate of the free market system ? You see if the free market system was running independently and great just as it is supposed to be, then you wouldn't be able to make such a claim as this would you, and why is this, because it wouldn't be true would it? Example if a truck driver worked for FedEx, and another truck driver worked for J.B Hunt, do you think that the two would average out to your theory of a truck driver making on average $42,000 dollars a year ? To be able to come up with such numbers like you do, means it doesn't fit well with the free market system does it, and it doesn't fit well with it operating free and independently like it is supposed to be, so who is in favor of rate controls here for all drivers regardless of their companies worked for, is it you or is it me ? If a certified truck driver lived in your first picture, then who would have caused that to happen ? I bet you could come up with a million excuses as to why it would be the driver that caused it, and not you and your way of thinking about what he or she should be making, and this regardless of their company worked for.. Will the real socialist/communist please stand up.
I just gotta say, "what!?"

What is the point of working if you don't earn a living. You may as well quit your job and live completely on handouts if that was your choice in life. You need incentive to work and that is a living wage.
The problem with the whole "living wage" imaginary thing is it doesn't work out the way you plan for it to work. By raising the wages you increase the incentive for people who don't need a job to go get one because with the higher wage it is suddenly worth it to get some cash. These people mostly come from the middle class. Teenagers looking for some "fun money." Parents looking to get more breathing room in their budget by getting a second job.

When you get these clean, sharp dressed, well-spoken people coming in to interview along side dirty, or uneducated, or shabbily dressed people, who do you think is going to get the job?

What you'll see when you raise the min wage enough is more middle class people entering the workforce or getting second jobs and pushing out the less well-off people who simply can't afford to, don't know how to, or don't care to, take care of themselves as well.

Last edited:

What's fair? What's a fair wage for a fair day's work? How much work do you have to accomplish to say that you worked a fair day? Who determines if the work you accomplished is a fair day's labor? Do we base what this fair labor is on each individual's ability and effort?

Or did you really mean, "you show up for eight hours and you deserve an arbitrarily set amount that is in no way tied to the amount of work you accomplish or the value of that work to the company by which you are employed."

And where does the money come from to pay the mythical "living wage" to the low skilled while still maintaining an incentive pay increase for those higher skilled workers? The massive profits of the huge corporations? The outrageous pay of the CEO's of the huge corporations? That's all well and good if the huge corporations can manage that, but what about the smaller companies that don't make billions in profits every year? Want to make it easier for the massive guys to kill off the last of the mom and pops out there? This sounds like a fantastic way to do it.

There is about a million different angles being presented in this conversation, and it causes the main jest of the conversation to get lost in the mix of it all. This thing keeps bouncing around like a rubber ball back and forth, and durring this dribbling the goal post or basket keeps getting moved.
The "jest" of the conversation is right. It's a joke to imagine the government can waive the magic minimum wage wand and make poverty disappear. It's not a very funny joke that there are this many people who buy in to that.

Why do we even have a 40-hour work week? Whatever happened to the idea that employers and employees can draft the terms of a two-party contract?
........Unions. You can't just use sweat shops anymore kiddo. Sorry.

36 reasons why you should thank a union

Perhaps this will give you some insight into unions CONTROLLED BY THE PEOPLE. Unions can get out of control just like the government CONTROLLED BY THE PEOPLE. (Well, not as much after Citizens United)

Link the minimum wage to cost of living.

Terrible idea. Again, when you increase the minimum wage, the cost of living goes up.

In 2006, the cost of a burrito at Chipotle, was $5.25, now it's $6.50. That's a huge increase. What happened since 2006? The Minimum wage in Ohio, went from $5.25 to now $7.90.

So you increase the minimum wage, which increases the cost of living, which triggers an increase in the minimum wage, which increases the cost of living, and the cycle continues, while jobs are lost throughout the economy.

Greece tried this. Their minimum wage was tied to the cost of living. It continually increased, until 2010, when the economy was so devastated, and the negative aspects of the minimum wage were so obvious to everyone, that the government cut the minimum wage, and eliminated the cost of living increase. Suddenly, employment increased. What a shock.

If my goal was to ruin this country, and I needed to do it in one policy, tying the minimum wage to cost of living, is exactly what I would do.

Forum List

Back