The 2nd amendment does not say "Except for felons" or "Except as provided by law". Why not?

The 2nd amendment does not say "Except for felons" or "Except as provided by law". Why not?

The 4th amendment bans searches and seizure, but not all of them: It specifically names unreasonable searches and seizures.

The 5th amendment says that no one can be jailed or executed etc... but makes an exception: unless there is "due process of law".

Even the 13th amendment that prohibits slavery or involuntary servitude, makes an exception: "except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted."

But the 2nd amendment, which forbids government from taking away or restricting our right to keep and bear arms, is conspicuously devoid of any such language. As written, it permits NO exceptions or "reasonable restrictions". Period.

Why?

There's an important characteristic of the people's right to keep and bear arms, which might explain why the 2nd is written without qualifications. It says "Since X is so, the people's RKBA cannot be taken away or restricted." Unlike the 4th, 5th, and 13th, the 2nd does NOT say "except by due process of law". And it does NOT say "unless the person is a certain type of extreme criminal", and etc.

To make up an extreme example, suppose some guy goes into a restaurant, pulls out a gun and blows away half a dozen people. The cops show up and surround him, and one cop says, "Give me your gun right now." The guy says, "Sorry, the 2nd amendment says my right to KBA cannot be taken away or restricted, PERIOD, so you have no authority to make me give you my gun." And this with gunsmoke in the air and bodies bleeding on the floor next to him.

Many of the people who wrote the 2nd were lawyers, and knew well the effect that certain words have when included, or omitted, from legislation. And yet they chose to omit ANY exceptions to the ban on government taking people's guns away. Strictly speaking, that would even include the extreme example I just gave: Cops can't take away the gun of a murderer at the scene of his crime.

Many people use this as the reason why the 2nd amendment MUST have been intended to implicitly allow for exceptions: It's impossible that the Framers could have intended for murderers to retain their weapons immediately after committing their murders. Yet a truly strict reading of the 2nd, forbids any govt official (including police) from taking the mass-murderer's gun.

So what could the Framers' intention have been, in omitting any exceptions?

Remember that it is GOVERNMENT that is being forbidden from taking away people's weapons. And the foremost reason it's forbidden, is so that the people can use them against government itself, if/when the government becomes tyrannical. And the Framers knew that if government were given even the tiniest exception, there would be a tendency to turn that tiny loophole into more and more twisted, warped excuses to take guns away anyway, far beyond the "reasonable" exception of being able to take away a mass-murderer's gun at the scene of his crime.

The only way the Framers could find of avoiding the far-greater evil of a tyrannical government disarming its people, was to make NO EXCEPTIONS WHATSOEVER to an explicit ban on government disarming even one of us.

So where does that leave us on the question of the cops taking the mass murderer's gun at the restaurant?

It's inconceivable that the Framers would want the murderer to retain his gun even as they haul him off to jail.

But it's VERY conceivable that the Framers would want government to have NOT THE SLIGHTEST EXCUSE, NO MATTER HOW "REASONABLE", to take away the weapons of their populace in general. Because the slightest excuse, the tiniest exception, could be stretched into a huge loophole. And the Framers regarded a government that could somehow finagle its way into disarming its own people, as a far greater threat than the occasional murderous nutcase in a restaurant.

And history has proven the Framers right, time and again.

Should we amend the Constitution, changing the 2nd amendment to officially empower government to take away the right of, say, murderers, to own and carry guns?

Some would think it's obvious that we should, to make the law "really" right. But consider the potential cost.

My own guess is, the Framers intended for an exception to be made in such a case... but not by any government official. The restaurant mass-murderer tells the cops they have no power to take his gun. The cop responds by cracking the guy's skull, hard, and taking away his gun anyway. Did the cop violate the strict words of the 2nd amendment by doing so? Yes. But is there a jury in the world that will convict the cop for it? Probably not.

The Constitution puts the ultimate fate of anyone accused of breaking laws, into the hands of a JURY. A groupd of the accused guy's own peers, people pretty much like him. NOT government officials. And that was so the only people who can find, or even invent, exceptions to the law, are ordinary civilians: the ones on the jury. Today this is called "Jury Nullification". And I suggest that this is exactly what the Framers had in mind when the wrote the 2nd amendment with NO exceptions and NO "reasonable restrictions" on guns and other such weapons.

The 2nd amendment is a restriction on GOVERNMENT. But not on a jury.

So when the murderer from the restaurant brings charges against the cop for taking away his gun, the cop gets a chance to explain to a JURY why he did it. His explanation will probably take less than ten seconds. And the jury (whose members wouldn't be there if they hadn't been accepted by the cop) will certainly decide that the cop should not be found guilty of violating the clear language of the 2nd, in that case. Because the JURY (and nobody else) has the power to make "reasonable exceptions".

But at the same time, when government makes the slightest move toward disarming even a little of its populace by legislation, they can be met with the absolute, no-exceptions ban codified by the 2nd amendment. No loopholes, no "reasonable exceptions", no nothing. ANY legislation that infringes on the absolute right to KBA, is unconstitutional. Period.

I suspect that's how the Framers expected this particular law to work.

Can I prove it? No. When I meet one of the Framers, I'll ask him. Until that time, I can only guess, based on the records they have left behind... and the fact that they put NONE of the usual qualifiers, into the 2nd amendment. If anyone can come up with a better guess, I'd be happy to hear it.

The 4th amendment bans searches and seizure, but not all of them: It specifically names unreasonable searches and seizures.

The 5th amendment says that no one can be jailed or executed etc... but makes an exception: unless there is "due process of law".

Even the 13th amendment that prohibits slavery or involuntary servitude, makes an exception: "except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted."

But the 2nd amendment, which forbids government from taking away or restricting our right to keep and bear arms, is conspicuously devoid of any such language. As written, it permits NO exceptions or "reasonable restrictions". Period.

Why?

There's an important characteristic of the people's right to keep and bear arms, which might explain why the 2nd is written without qualifications. It says "Since X is so, the people's RKBA cannot be taken away or restricted." Unlike the 4th, 5th, and 13th, the 2nd does NOT say "except by due process of law". And it does NOT say "unless the person is a certain type of extreme criminal", and etc.

To make up an extreme example, suppose some guy goes into a restaurant, pulls out a gun and blows away half a dozen people. The cops show up and surround him, and one cop says, "Give me your gun right now." The guy says, "Sorry, the 2nd amendment says my right to KBA cannot be taken away or restricted, PERIOD, so you have no authority to make me give you my gun." And this with gunsmoke in the air and bodies bleeding on the floor next to him.

Many of the people who wrote the 2nd were lawyers, and knew well the effect that certain words have when included, or omitted, from legislation. And yet they chose to omit ANY exceptions to the ban on government taking people's guns away. Strictly speaking, that would even include the extreme example I just gave: Cops can't take away the gun of a murderer at the scene of his crime.

Many people use this as the reason why the 2nd amendment MUST have been intended to implicitly allow for exceptions: It's impossible that the Framers could have intended for murderers to retain their weapons immediately after committing their murders. Yet a truly strict reading of the 2nd, forbids any govt official (including police) from taking the mass-murderer's gun.

Remember that it is GOVERNMENT that is being forbidden from taking away people's weapons. And the foremost reason it's forbidden, is so that the people can use them against government itself, if/when the government becomes tyrannical. And the Framers knew that if government were given even the tiniest exception, there would be a tendency to turn that tiny loophole into more and more twisted, warped excuses to take guns away anyway, far beyond the "reasonable" exception of being able to take away a mass-murderer's gun at the scene of his crime.

The only way the Framers could find of avoiding the far-greater evil of a tyrannical government disarming its people, was to make NO EXCEPTIONS WHATSOEVER to an explicit ban on government disarming even one of us.

So where does that leave us on the question of the cops taking the mass murderer's gun at the restaurant?

It's inconceivable that the Framers would want the murderer to retain his gun even as they haul him off to jail.

But it's VERY conceivable that the Framers would want government to have NOT THE SLIGHTEST EXCUSE, NO MATTER HOW "REASONABLE", to take away the weapons of their populace in general. Because the slightest excuse, the tiniest exception, could be stretched into a huge loophole. And the Framers regarded a government that could somehow finagle its way into disarming its own people, as a far greater threat than the occasional murderous nutcase in a restaurant.

Should we amend the Constitution, changing the 2nd amendment to officially empower government to take away the right of, say, murderers, to own and carry guns?

Some would think it's obvious that we should, to make the law "really" right. But consider the potential cost.

My own guess is, the Framers intended for an exception to be made in such a case... but not by any government official. The restaurant mass-murderer tells the cops they have no power to take his gun. The cop responds by cracking the guy's skull, hard, and taking away his gun anyway. Did the cop violate the strict words of the 2nd amendment by doing so? Yes. But is there a jury in the world that will convict the cop for it? Probably not.

The Constitution puts the ultimate fate of anyone accused of breaking laws, into the hands of a JURY. A groupd of the accused guy's own peers, people pretty much like him. NOT government officials. And that was so the only people who can find, or even invent, exceptions to the law, are ordinary civilians: the ones on the jury. Today this is called "Jury Nullification". And I suggest that this is exactly what the Framers had in mind when the wrote the 2nd amendment with NO exceptions and NO "reasonable restrictions" on guns and other such weapons.

So when the murderer from the restaurant brings charges against the cop for taking away his gun, the cop gets a chance to explain to a JURY why he did it. His explanation will probably take less than ten seconds. And the jury (whose members wouldn't be there if they hadn't been accepted by the cop) will certainly decide that the cop should not be found guilty of violating the clear language of the 2nd, in that case. Because the JURY (and nobody else) has the power to make "reasonable exceptions".

But at the same time, when government makes the slightest move toward disarming even a little of its populace by legislation, they can be met with the absolute, no-exceptions ban codified by the 2nd amendment. No loopholes, no "reasonable exceptions", no nothing. ANY legislation that infringes on the absolute right to KBA, is unconstitutional. Period.

Can I prove it? No. When I meet one of the Framers, I'll ask him. Until that time, I can only guess, based on the records they have left behind... and the fact that they put NONE of the usual qualifiers, into the 2nd amendment. If anyone can come up with a better guess, I'd be happy to hear it.

Because in those days, muskets posed little danger in the hands of one lunatic who wanted to play tyrant for a day. Much less, nobody back then was foolish enough to think that firing one round per minute could protect one individual from the government if it were to become corrupt. A person had to have the help of the rest of the community for such an effort.

I don't have a problem with "common sense" regulations and laws,
The Constitution does. Unlike many other sections that say "Except by due process of law" or "unreasonable search and seizure...", the Framers carefully left out any such exceptions from the 2nd amendment. Why do you suppose they did wrote the 2nd so differently from the other sections?
Why does it say it's a right of "the people" and not "person". That seems to indicate that you can't ban gun ownership, but measures short of depriving "the people" of guns is OK. If not, wouldn't the USSC have said so?

Because in those days, muskets posed little danger in the hands of one lunatic who wanted to play tyrant for a day. Much less, nobody back then was foolish enough to think that firing one round per minute could protect one individual from the government if it were to become corrupt. A person had to have the help of the rest of the community for such an effort.
And your link to any evidence the Framers thought that way, is where?

Why?

Why then aren't felons in confinement allowed to have guns?

That is called an "infringment".
Not according to the USSC. I'm afraid your opinion doesn't measure up.
The USSC has never addressed the issue, except in one case in the 1930s where the entire defense team never showed up for the trial. They rubber-stamped a number of lies by the govt prosecution, into an "opinion". And the Left has been desperate to never touch the issue ever since that "case".

And your link to any evidence the Framers thought that way, is where?

Lol. They didn't think in those precise terms, because they knew no differently. They didn't know today's weapons. They only knew what they had. And the weapons of their age had limited capability. The musket was not the most practical weapon for criminals. The pistol of the day was only practical at close range. Neither could be reloaded quickly. As such, a spree shooting was impossible.

The Constitution does.

Unlike many other sections that say "Except by due process of law" or "unreasonable search and seizure...", the Framers carefully left out any such exceptions from the 2nd amendment.

Why do you suppose they did wrote the 2nd so differently from the other sections?

The USSC has never addressed the issue, except in one case in the 1930s where the entire defense team never showed up for the trial. They rubber-stamped a number of lies by the govt prosecution, into an "opinion". And the Left has been desperate to never touch the issue ever since that "case".
Are you trying to tell me the NRA or anyone else hasn't brought a case since the 1930s? That's as ridiculous a contention as I've ever heard. If gun laws are allowed, it's because the courts say they're legal. Sorry, but that was a really shitty try. :lmao:

Are you trying to tell me the NRA or anyone else hasn't brought a case since the 1930s? That's as ridiculous a contention as I've ever heard.
The usual liberal diversion: If he can't refute something I said, he tries to pretend I said something else, and tries to bash me for that instead.

(yawn)

If gun laws are allowed, it's because the courts say they're legal.
Nice try. But if guns are allowed, it's because the govt was given no power to ban or restrict them.

Sorry, but that was a really shitty try.
Poor conradv puts up a post full of fibs, misinformation, and diversion, and then says someone else made a "really shitty try".

These liberals are always entertaining. :cheers2:

The Constitution does.

Unlike many other sections that say "Except by due process of law" or "unreasonable search and seizure...", the Framers carefully left out any such exceptions from the 2nd amendment.

Why do you suppose they did wrote the 2nd so differently from the other sections?

If there are no exceptions why can't felons have guns in prison?

Lol. They didn't think in those precise terms, because they knew no differently. They didn't know today's weapons. They only knew what they had. And the weapons of their age had limited capability. The musket was not the most practical weapon for criminals. The pistol of the day was only practical at close range. Neither could be reloaded quickly. As such, a spree shooting was impossible.

They never imagined modern electronic-base d forms of communication, ether. If you wanted to get a message out to the public, you could either stand on a soapbox in the public square, and give a speech, or else you could publish a paper, and have it distributed. Hence the protections for freedoms of speech and of the press, as stated in the First Amendment. They never imagined the electric telegraph, telephone, radio, television, and the Internet. Could they have imagined that a day would come, when someone sitting comfortably in his home could post something to the Internet, and have it seen by people all over the world within seconds?

Does the First Amendment apply to modern forms of communication, or only to speech and the printed word?

And the Framers also put a way to modify or add to the Constitution, any time the people thought it wasn't adequate.

So far, the people have found the 2nd amendment to be perfectly adequate, even to the modern life we lead. In part because they realize that making more laws won't do any good, and will only restrict people who obey laws.

Only a few disgruntled liberals who can't bear not being in total control of those around them, are whining.

But the Constitution was specifically designed to keep such whiny liberals, far from any power. Unless the people decided they want to be controlled by whiny government-uber-alles liberals.

Last edited:
The Constitution does.

The rights there are the right to own a weapon and a right to be in the militia. A person in prison could own a weapon. They could be prevented from actually having the weapon in their hand. Presser stated that walking around with a gun was NOT protected by the 2A.

However there are clearly limits to the right to bear arms. The Dick Act in 1902 made the unorganized militia and the National Guard. The former was made so people couldn't demand to be in the latter as they had the right to be in the militia. So they made a non-entity militia that people were technically in, so they couldn't complain. It's a niffty piece of work really. It annulled a clause in the Bill of Rights almost totally without getting rid of it and without annoying anyone much.

The right to own weapons is a tricky one too. You have the right to own arms. What arms? Well, arms that are considered militia type weapons. Who decides what are militia type weapons? Well the govt, the Supreme Court interprets the constitution, Congress can make laws banning certain weapons as not being "militia type weapons", and has done.

So weapons that aren't safe, even if they are militia style weapons, can be banned, for example.

Is this unrestricted? No.

And the Framers also put a way to modify or add to the Constitution, any time the people thought it wasn't adequate.

So far, the people have found the 2nd amendment to be perfectly adequate, even to the modern life we lead. In part because they realize that making more laws won't do any good, and will only restrict people who obey laws.

Only a few disgruntled liberals who can't bear not being in total control of those around them, are whining.

Saying that the right (and a lot of the left) made an amendment to restrict drinking alcohol, yeah, the same people who don't want to restrict people who obey laws. HAHAHA, you're having a laugh.

Forum List

Back