The 2014 Charlton Heston Postal stamp

I saw the MM interview. Charlie walked out because he can't defend his position, except with stupidities like the cold dead hand comment. He was also a total ham as an actor.

That wasn't an interview, it was an attack.

And it was a real low point for Moore.

Charlie should have manned up and debated with Moore. But he can't, the script wasn't written for him to parrot, like in his movies.

Manned up? :lol:

What Moore did was ambush journalism. He said he was going to do one thing and did another.

He also didn't let Heston finish any of his answers.

That's not even "debate". That's badgering. And the appropriate way to deal with it is to walk away or respond in kind.

By the way, I like Michael Moore.

I don't mind him getting a stamp. Not my kind of man but he was a hero to gun worshipers. I won't complain about the stamp.

I don't mind him getting a stamp. Not my kind of man but he was a hero to gun worshipers. I won't complain about the stamp.

So the lastest gun grabber meme is to accuse 2nd amendment supporters of idolatry?

So the lastest gun grabber meme is to accuse 2nd amendment supporters of idolatry?

You folks don't "support" the 2nd Amendment as written. You folks support a version of it that was force fed through the legal system by the NRA.

The amendment has zero to do with what the gun yahoos say it does. Which is why you folks bifurcate it all the time.

You folks don't "support" the 2nd Amendment as written. You folks support a version of it that was force fed through the legal system by the NRA.

The amendment has zero to do with what the gun yahoos say it does. Which is why you folks bifurcate it all the time.

The amendment says my right, as "the people" to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

it really can't get more clear than that.

the way it was written says the PEOPLES right to bear arms shall not be infringed......how is that not supporting it the way it was written?...

I saw the MM interview. Charlie walked out because he can't defend his position, except with stupidities like the cold dead hand comment. He was also a total ham as an actor.

That wasn't an interview, it was an attack.

And it was a real low point for Moore.

Charlie should have manned up and debated with Moore. But he can't, the script wasn't written for him to parrot, like in his movies.

Given Moore's penchant for editing to make his point, we don't know whether or not Heston manned up and debated.

I like Heston, but commemorative stamps are a waste of money. The Postal Service is losing money hand over fist- instead of wasting taxpayer money creating special stamps for dead people, ducks, and railroads -they should devote themselves to fiscal sanity.

You may resume your regularly scheduled ambivalence.......

:lol:

Well no it's not.

And that's for a different thread.

I think a stamp honoring Mr. Heston is more than appropriate.

He was a great man.

It is nice to see the generous and objective side of you, Sallow.

BTW, did you hear that the U.S. Mint is considering a three dollar bill with Obama's likeness on it?

There was a lot more to Heston than that.

Doesn't matter.

He showed up less than a week after Columbine to push guns. Same with the NRA pushing guns in Sandy Hook. In both cases, they were making money off the publicity and incredible pain of the survivors of guns.

In that one move, he went from being Moses to being in support of mass killers. Even if he's not perceived that way by some, that IS what he did and he knew it when he did it. Just like with the NRA, he could have been part of the healing but he chose money instead.

No excuse for that.

What a load of crap!

Yes, Heston and the NRA showed up in Denver 11 days after the Columbine shooting. Are you aware of what else he did?

The NRA Annual meeting is set up years in advance. And according to the laws governing nonprofits, in order to change the location or venue of the annual meeting, they are required to notify all members at least 10 days in advance. Do you think you could notify 4 million members in 24 hours??

Also, the NRA annual event is usually almost a week of various activities such as sporting events, rallies, awards dinners, vendor displays, workshops and more. All of those events were cancelled. The only thing that was held was the annual member's meeting (required by law).

They expected 22,000 people to attend all those events over the week. Heston cancelled everything he could cancel. But you want to slander him for not cancelling the entire even??

Next time you decide to slander someone, at least have all the facts. Heston was, not only the president of the NRA. He was also a major movie star, and political activist.

But its funny so many idiots forget his highly visible campaigning for the Civil Rights Act, including walking the picket line at segregated theaters showing his own movie.
He was one of the great actors of all time, starring in some of the most enduring roles ever. He was also the president of the NRA for an unprecedented 4 terms. He also served as president of the Screen Actors Guild.

He was a very conscientious man. And yet you choose to either tell outright lies or make grossly misleading statements about him.

Try the facts. They are much better.

Well, now you've gone too far! Negged!!! :lol:

I like Heston, but commemorative stamps are a waste of money. The Postal Service is losing money hand over fist- instead of wasting taxpayer money creating special stamps for dead people, ducks, and railroads -they should devote themselves to fiscal sanity.

You know why, don't you?

Are you aware of the constraint that the Republican Congress has put on the USPS that they put on no one else?

You know why, don't you?

Are you aware of the constraint that the Republican Congress has put on the USPS that they put on no one else?

The same restraint any public entity should have placed on them? That they need to account for the costs of their benefits to employees instead of passing them down to the saps in charge 20 years from now?

More of that, please, and make private companies that offer pensions do it as well.

Chaussette and Luddly Neddite are too low on the human evolution scale to give them the dignity of being negged.

There is a special place reserved for them in Hell and I hope they will be remembered as they remember Charlton Heston.

The amendment says my right, as "the people" to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

So then why can't I buy a cruise missile or a nuke? :dunno:

You know why, don't you?

The same restraint any public entity should have placed on them? That they need to account for the costs of their benefits to employees instead of passing them down to the saps in charge 20 years from now?

More of that, please, and make private companies that offer pensions do it as well.

Which other entity does Congress mandate that they must pre-fund 75 years of retirement? Which private business does this?

Mandate pushed Postal Service into the red for first quarter

The U.S. Postal Service lost $1.3 billion during the first quarter, but it could have turned a $100 million profit if not for a congressional mandate that officials have long blamed for stifling post office finances, according to the agency’s first-quarter financial statement.

The report, released Friday, shows that the Postal Service paid $1.4 billion toward health benefits for future retirees, an expense that pushed the organization into the red.

Congress passed a statute in 2006 requiring the early payment of 75 years worth of retiree benefits within 10 years. No other federal agency is forced to make such an investment.

“The $1.4 billion in pre-funding charges this quarter accounts for all — and then some — of the overall red ink of $1.3 billion,” National Association of Letter Carriers President Fredric Rolando said in a statement Friday. “Since pre-funding went into effect, it accounts for more than 80 percent of the agency’s red ink.”

So then why can't I buy a cruise missile or a nuke? :dunno:

Because they are artillery, not "arms."

Ah, good old argumentum ad absurdum, the first and last resort of the crappy debater.

You know why, don't you?

Which other entity does Congress mandate that they must pre-fund 75 years of retirement? Which private business does this?

The U.S. Postal Service lost $1.3 billion during the first quarter, but it could have turned a $100 million profit if not for a congressional mandate that officials have long blamed for stifling post office finances, according to the agency’s first-quarter financial statement.

The report, released Friday, shows that the Postal Service paid $1.4 billion toward health benefits for future retirees, an expense that pushed the organization into the red.

Congress passed a statute in 2006 requiring the early payment of 75 years worth of retiree benefits within 10 years. No other federal agency is forced to make such an investment.

“The $1.4 billion in pre-funding charges this quarter accounts for all — and then some — of the overall red ink of $1.3 billion,” National Association of Letter Carriers President Fredric Rolando said in a statement Friday. “Since pre-funding went into effect, it accounts for more than 80 percent of the agency’s red ink.”

If state governments had been required to do this 40 years ago we would not have ended up with all these unfunded liabilities.

If private companies would have been required to do this the feds would not have had to taken over so many busted pensions.

Doing this is a GOOD thing. One can quibble that 75 years is too much, but the concept is sound. Far more sound than then"pay it later" method used by everyone.

If state governments had been required to do this 40 years ago we would not have ended up with all these unfunded liabilities.

If private companies would have been required to do this the feds would not have had to taken over so many busted pensions.

Doing this is a GOOD thing. One can quibble that 75 years is too much, but the concept is sound. Far more sound than then"pay it later" method used by everyone.
Please point to any other entity that Congress has talked about or brought bills to do this with, in order to dispel the impression that they are just unfairly hamstringing the USPS for political, instead of economic, reasons.

Please point to any other entity that Congress has talked about or brought bills to do this with, in order to dispel the impression that they are just unfairly hamstringing the USPS for political, instead of economic, reasons.

You have to start somewhere, and the rules of how the Post Office was created allows them to do it.

Of course its political. Duh...

You have to start somewhere, and the rules of how the Post Office was created allows them to do it.

Of course its political. Duh...
OK - they "started" this in 2006.

Who was next? Which bills have been brought since?

It's been almost 8 years.

Doesn't matter.

He showed up less than a week after Columbine to push guns. Same with the NRA pushing guns in Sandy Hook. In both cases, they were making money off the publicity and incredible pain of the survivors of guns.

In that one move, he went from being Moses to being in support of mass killers. Even if he's not perceived that way by some, that IS what he did and he knew it when he did it. Just like with the NRA, he could have been part of the healing but he chose money instead.

No excuse for that.

What a load of crap!

Yes, Heston and the NRA showed up in Denver 11 days after the Columbine shooting. Are you aware of what else he did?

The NRA Annual meeting is set up years in advance. And according to the laws governing nonprofits, in order to change the location or venue of the annual meeting, they are required to notify all members at least 10 days in advance. Do you think you could notify 4 million members in 24 hours??

Also, the NRA annual event is usually almost a week of various activities such as sporting events, rallies, awards dinners, vendor displays, workshops and more. All of those events were cancelled. The only thing that was held was the annual member's meeting (required by law).

They expected 22,000 people to attend all those events over the week. Heston cancelled everything he could cancel. But you want to slander him for not cancelling the entire even??

Next time you decide to slander someone, at least have all the facts. Heston was, not only the president of the NRA. He was also a major movie star, and political activist.

But its funny so many idiots forget his highly visible campaigning for the Civil Rights Act, including walking the picket line at segregated theaters showing his own movie.
He was one of the great actors of all time, starring in some of the most enduring roles ever. He was also the president of the NRA for an unprecedented 4 terms. He also served as president of the Screen Actors Guild.

He was a very conscientious man. And yet you choose to either tell outright lies or make grossly misleading statements about him.

Try the facts. They are much better.

Well, now you've gone too far! Negged!!! :lol:

Empire Magazine ranked him as #28 in the Top 100 Screen Actors of all time.

Entertainment Weekly ranked him at #52.

I think if you make either of those lists you can accurately be termed on of the greats.

Forum List

Back