CDZ The 100 Most Influential Americans

I don't know how they left off Harriet Tubman either.

Walton, Kroc, Tubman are all people that should be considered at at least I think. Maybe not many people research or quote Walton because he is such a familiar figure. I dunno. Using the criteria the Smithsonian used to come up with their list, I don't know that enough folks would research Tubman but then I think all those older than say 40 probably know who she was.

I can't believe that so many idiots in this thread don't know how to trim their replies to not include the entire list from the OP. I swear, half of USMB membership are retards.

The ever-cheerful Synthaholic. I'm not guilty in this thread, but I'm still a novice on this iPhone. My boss practically forced this thing on me and now I'm addicted. Damn u Steve Jobs ( on the list ).

Anyway, if you happen to be tech-savvy, it just means you're a dorky nerd. It doesn't make u smart.

Well smarter than me perhaps. But the feature that collapses the nested quotes removes one annoying aspect of them. But among those significant things definitely is this kind of internet environment: chat rooms, message boards, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, et al. What major business or even churches for that matter don't have a website these days? That was one of the biggest changes in American culture I've seen in my lifetime. So Bill Gates and Steve Jobs definitely were a factor in that and deserved to be on the list.

Don't forget Al Gore, he invented the internet after all. :rofl:

I can't believe that so many idiots in this thread don't know how to trim their replies to not include the entire list from the OP. I swear, half of USMB membership are retards.

The ever-cheerful Synthaholic. I'm not guilty in this thread, but I'm still a novice on this iPhone. My boss practically forced this thing on me and now I'm addicted. Damn u Steve Jobs ( on the list ).

Anyway, if you happen to be tech-savvy, it just means you're a dorky nerd. It doesn't make u smart.

Well smarter than me perhaps. But the feature that collapses the nested quotes removes one annoying aspect of them. But among those significant things definitely is this kind of internet environment: chat rooms, message boards, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, et al. What major business or even churches for that matter don't have a website these days? That was one of the biggest changes in American culture I've seen in my lifetime. So Bill Gates and Steve Jobs definitely were a factor in that and deserved to be on the list.

In a way he actually should be on the list since he is the primary catalyst behind the whole AGW industry however bizarre his contributions to that were. So he was both influential and significant regardless of what anybody might think of him personally.

In a way he actually should be on the list since he is the primary catalyst behind the whole AGW industry however bizarre his contributions to that were. So he was both influential and significant regardless of what anybody might think of him personally.

I just disagree with this entire list. Why is GWB on there for instance?

The current issue of the Smithsonian Magazine presents their list of the 100 most significant Americans of all time. The list includes some of the Founding Fathers and a race horse, but nobody in the current Administration.

Look over the list. Do you agree? Or should some names be removed and others included?

Here's their list:

Trailblazers
Christopher Columbus
Henry Hudson
Amerigo Vespucci
John Smith
Giovanni da Verrazzano
John Muir
Meriwether Lewis and William Clark
Sacagawea
Kit Carson
Neil Armstrong
John Wesley Powell

Rebels & resisters
Martin Luther King Jr.
Robert E. Lee
Thomas Paine
John Brown
Frederick Douglass
Susan B. Anthony
W.E.B. Du Bois
Tecumseh
Sitting Bull
Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Malcolm X

Presidents
Abraham Lincoln
George Washington
Thomas Jefferson
Theodore Roosevelt
Ulysses S. Grant
Ronald W. Reagan
George W. Bush
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Woodrow Wilson
James Madison
Andrew Jackson

First Women
Pocahontas
Eleanor Roosevelt
Hillary Clinton
Sarah Palin
Martha Washington
Hellen Keller
Sojourner Truth
Jane Addams
Edith Wharton
Bette Davis
Oprah Winfrey

Outlaws
Benedict Arnold
Jesse James
John Wilkes Booth
Al Capone
Billy the Kid
William M. “Boss” Tweed
Charles Manson
Wild Bill Hickok
Lee Harvey Oswald
John Dillinger
Lucky Luciano

Artists
Frank Lloyd Wright
Andy Warhol
Frederick Law Olmsted
James Abbott MacNeill Whistler
Jackson Pollock
John James Audubon
Georgia O’Keeffe
Thomas Eakins
Thomas Nast
Alfred Stieglitz
Ansel Adams

Religious figures
Joseph Smith Jr.
William Penn
Brigham Young
Roger Williams
Anne Hutchinson
Jonathan Edwards
L. Ron Hubbard
Ellen G. White
Cotton Mather
Mary Baker Eddy
Billy Graham

Pop icons
Mark Twain
Elvis Presley
Madonna
Bob Dylan
Michael Jackson
Charlie Chaplin
Jimi Hendrix
Marilyn Monroe
Frank Sinatra
Louis Armstrong
Mary Pickford

Empire-builders
Andrew Carnegie
Henry Ford
John D. Rockefeller
J.P. Morgan
Walt Disney
Thomas Alva Edison
William Randolph Hearst
Howard Hughes
Bill Gates
Cornelius Vanderbilt
Steve Jobs

Athletes
Babe Ruth
Muhammad Ali
Jackie Robinson
James Naismith
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Ty Cobb
Michael Jordan
Hulk Hogan
Jim Thorpe
Secretariat
Billie Jean King

Read more: History Travel Arts Science People Places Smithsonian
I disagree with them in pretty much every area, not just the presidential areas. And they have George W Bush? You've got to be kidding. He is one of the lowest rated presidents of all the presidents; unless they mean he is influential in a bad way, why on Earth would he be on the list. And Schwarzenegger as an influential athelete. He's a creepy body builder: there are hundreds of other athletes more important than he. Oprah is on the list. Oprah? She's a joke. It's a terrible list.

I gagged at Bush being on the list too but thinking its because of causing so many needless deaths with his illegal wars and the only US prez who can't leave his own country without fear of being arrested as a war criminal. I guess that could be called "influential".

I'm not a big fan of Oprah's - neither for or against her, but she really has been quite a mover and shaker in the US.

Because he was one of the most polarizing Presidents of our generation. Because he was instrumental in changing the way that the USA does national security. And because he is one of the most studied, researched, and commented on politicians of our generation.

What about Naked Richard and Boston Rob? They completely revolutionized the strategies on Survivor.
Boston Rob even wrote a book... with words in it.

survivor.jpg

Because he was one of the most polarizing Presidents of our generation. Because he was instrumental in changing the way that the USA does national security. And because he is one of the most studied, researched, and commented on politicians of our generation.

When I think of influential people, I think of people who revolutionized their chosen field.

GWB didn't do that, in 50 years he will be a sidenote. People will simply say "Oh yeah he was President when the liberals absolutely lost their fucking minds" and nothing more. Nothing HE did was revolutionary. It was evolutionary.

Shoot, I would put Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez ahead of GWB. The first televised interracial kiss? Pretty damn revolutionary.

The current issue of the Smithsonian Magazine presents their list of the 100 most significant Americans of all time. The list includes some of the Founding Fathers and a race horse, but nobody in the current Administration.

Look over the list. Do you agree? Or should some names be removed and others included?

Here's their list:

Trailblazers
Christopher Columbus
Henry Hudson
Amerigo Vespucci
John Smith
Giovanni da Verrazzano
John Muir
Meriwether Lewis and William Clark
Sacagawea
Kit Carson
Neil Armstrong
John Wesley Powell

Rebels & resisters
Martin Luther King Jr.
Robert E. Lee
Thomas Paine
John Brown
Frederick Douglass
Susan B. Anthony
W.E.B. Du Bois
Tecumseh
Sitting Bull
Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Malcolm X

Presidents
Abraham Lincoln
George Washington
Thomas Jefferson
Theodore Roosevelt
Ulysses S. Grant
Ronald W. Reagan
George W. Bush
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Woodrow Wilson
James Madison
Andrew Jackson

First Women
Pocahontas
Eleanor Roosevelt
Hillary Clinton
Sarah Palin
Martha Washington
Hellen Keller
Sojourner Truth
Jane Addams
Edith Wharton
Bette Davis
Oprah Winfrey

Outlaws
Benedict Arnold
Jesse James
John Wilkes Booth
Al Capone
Billy the Kid
William M. “Boss” Tweed
Charles Manson
Wild Bill Hickok
Lee Harvey Oswald
John Dillinger
Lucky Luciano

Artists
Frank Lloyd Wright
Andy Warhol
Frederick Law Olmsted
James Abbott MacNeill Whistler
Jackson Pollock
John James Audubon
Georgia O’Keeffe
Thomas Eakins
Thomas Nast
Alfred Stieglitz
Ansel Adams

Religious figures
Joseph Smith Jr.
William Penn
Brigham Young
Roger Williams
Anne Hutchinson
Jonathan Edwards
L. Ron Hubbard
Ellen G. White
Cotton Mather
Mary Baker Eddy
Billy Graham

Pop icons
Mark Twain
Elvis Presley
Madonna
Bob Dylan
Michael Jackson
Charlie Chaplin
Jimi Hendrix
Marilyn Monroe
Frank Sinatra
Louis Armstrong
Mary Pickford

Empire-builders
Andrew Carnegie
Henry Ford
John D. Rockefeller
J.P. Morgan
Walt Disney
Thomas Alva Edison
William Randolph Hearst
Howard Hughes
Bill Gates
Cornelius Vanderbilt
Steve Jobs

Athletes
Babe Ruth
Muhammad Ali
Jackie Robinson
James Naismith
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Ty Cobb
Michael Jordan
Hulk Hogan
Jim Thorpe
Secretariat
Billie Jean King

Read more: History Travel Arts Science People Places Smithsonian
I disagree with them in pretty much every area, not just the presidential areas. And they have George W Bush? You've got to be kidding. He is one of the lowest rated presidents of all the presidents; unless they mean he is influential in a bad way, why on Earth would he be on the list. And Schwarzenegger as an influential athelete. He's a creepy body builder: there are hundreds of other athletes more important than he. Oprah is on the list. Oprah? She's a joke. It's a terrible list.

I gagged at Bush being on the list too but thinking its because of causing so many needless deaths with his illegal wars and the only US prez who can't leave his own country without fear of being arrested as a war criminal. I guess that could be called "influential".

I'm not a big fan of Oprah's - neither for or against her, but she really has been quite a mover and shaker in the US.

Can you post in ANY thread without bringing politics into it? If not, just stay out of non political threads please.

When I think of influential people, I think of people who revolutionized their chosen field.

GWB didn't do that, in 50 years he will be a sidenote. People will simply say "Oh yeah he was President when the liberals absolutely lost their fucking minds" and nothing more. Nothing HE did was revolutionary. It was evolutionary.

Shoot, I would put Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez ahead of GWB. The first televised interracial kiss? Pretty damn revolutionary.

That wasn't necessarily the criteria the Smithsonian used for their list though. I earlier thought the criteria was for influence/importance, but then read the article and saw that they they were going for significance as those who are the most quoted/misquoted, discussed, researched, etc. Charles Manson, for instance, made the list not for any contribution he made for humankind but because he has become a national metaphor for a horrible, gory, bloody, heartless mass murder.

Robert Gray, Daniel Boone, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Lucille Ball, Prince, Janis Joplin, just a few that should or could make the list. Hulk Hogan, Secretariat, Madonna off the list.

Robert Gray, Daniel Boone, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Lucille Ball, Prince, Janis Joplin, just a few that should or could make the list. Hulk Hogan, Secretariat, Madonna off the list.

But who do you think folks are more interested in or use more for example or metaphor or look up the most? Madonna and Hulk Hogan? Or Mickey Mantle and Lucille Ball?

In that regard, Ward and June Cleaver probably outrank Lucille Ball or Mickey Mantle as the role model for a particular image.

But who do you think folks are more interested in or use more for example or metaphor or look up the most? Madonna and Hulk Hogan? Or Mickey Mantle and Lucille Ball?

In that regard, Ward and June Cleaver probably outrank Lucille Ball or Mickey Mantle as the role model for a particular image.

I don't see any of them as role models. I thought it was most influential, Lucille Ball was very influential in TV, ward and June were fictitious. Micky Mantle had a huge influence on baseball.

Forum List

Back