That Ex Marine Held In Mexico?

Howey

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2013
Also known as the right's newest hero? The poor innocent who says he couldn't turn around heading to Mexico and didn't know he had a gun in his car?

nxTL3yG.jpg

The same guy Rand Paul's comparing to Bowe Bergdahl as a "real hero" who should be traded for Hillary Clinton and other democrats?

I questioned this whole thing from the beginning for several reasons.

Looks like I'm right again!

XT7zRCP.jpg

On Tuesday, the Union Tribune confirmed that this wasn’t the vets first rodeo in Tijuana, that indeed, he had entered the country at least 6 times previously. That would seem to destroy his claims of innocence and of being lost and ending up on the Mexico side of the border.+

But it gets more bizarre. An April 4 e-mail correspondence from Tahmooressi’s Mexican lawyer, Alejandro Osuna, seems to show that the attorney coached his client to not reveal the prior trips to Mexico. According to the e-mail, Osuna told his client to “stick to the script ” — which was that he was had never been to Tijuana and that he missed the last U.S. exit on Interstate 5 while driving to meet friends in San Ysidro.+

“Andrew kept insisting he wanted to change it, but our concern was that if he mentioned he had been in Tijuana about six times prior to his detention (which seems to be the case), his story would have been less credible,” according the email, which was read to U-T San Diego by Hunter’s spokesman Joe Kasper

Last edited:
You do realize that just because someone has been to mexico before doesn't mean he meant to go there this time, right?

This has got to be one of the dumbest arguments I've ever seen.

I live 35 miles from the Mexican border. "Accidently" driving in to Mexico is sort of like "Accidently" entering the space shuttle right before lift off. There are billboard sized signs starting 3 miles from the border stating that guns and ammo are illegal in Mexico. The signs are repeated several times, all the way to the border, including the check point where you must stop at the border itself. The fact that the border crossing itself is about as conspicuous as the Brandenburg gate should have been a tip off.

The facts have been out there since the beginning. The marine had bee to mexico several times. He had been to mexico just before this incident. The same day. He parked his car in a parking lot in San Diego and walked across the border. To see how he could have gotten lost Greta VanSusteren took a film crew on that same route so everyone could see how it happened. Exiting the parking lot is a road going north. It isn't visible at that point but the road takes a sharp turn south. The sign was small and covered with graffiti. It has since been replaced by a larger better lit sign. A short distance beyond that sign is a turnaround. This is the turnaround that was missed in the dark. Once that was passed there was no other place to turn around until the border.

The facts have been out there since the beginning. The marine had bee to mexico several times. He had been to mexico just before this incident. The same day. He parked his car in a parking lot in San Diego and walked across the border. To see how he could have gotten lost Greta VanSusteren took a film crew on that same route so everyone could see how it happened. Exiting the parking lot is a road going north. It isn't visible at that point but the road takes a sharp turn south. The sign was small and covered with graffiti. It has since been replaced by a larger better lit sign. A short distance beyond that sign is a turnaround. This is the turnaround that was missed in the dark. Once that was passed there was no other place to turn around until the border.

and he chose not to go through a declararion lane because.... why?

I need to fix that second photo when I get home. That's the extensive arsenal "he didn't know" was in the car.

For a few dollars more, he could have gotten a transmission with a reverse gear....

I need to fix that second photo when I get home. That's the extensive arsenal "he didn't know" was in the car.
not a car. truck. they were in the cab of the truck with him - in violation of california law

He didn't. He told the Mexican border guards that he was lost and had guns in the car. He didn't even try to get into mexico. He called 911 and said he had guns in his car and needed help.

Do you think he was trying to smuggle 3 guns, registered to him, into mexico by telling the border guards that he had them?

You do realize that just because someone has been to mexico before doesn't mean he meant to go there this time, right?

This has got to be one of the dumbest arguments I've ever seen.

You made me LOL with this one.

I went to and from Mexico dozens of times and lived very near the border for more than 25 years. Really, it would be damn difficult to go to Mexico "accidentally".

[MENTION=42946]Howey[/MENTION]

Here ya go -

Q12AF8L.jpg

He didn't. He told the Mexican border guards that he was lost and had guns in the car. He didn't even try to get into mexico. He called 911 and said he had guns in his car and needed help.

Do you think he was trying to smuggle 3 guns, registered to him, into mexico by telling the border guards that he had them?

well that's not true. he went through the no declarations lane in to mexico and was flagged to be inspected because his vehicle didn't have a front license plate and had a bunch of stuff in the bed. that's when he claims he volunteered that he had weapons.

and according to the border guards, he didn't claim he was lost at all.

On that Monday night, Mexican border officials pulled Tahmooressi’s truck into an inspection lane when they noticed his pickup didn’t have a front license plate and was loaded with items that included a ladder, according to Alejandro Gonzalez Guilbot, head of Mexican customs in Tijuana.
“All I can say is that the individual entered though a ‘nothing to declare lane’ with weapons that are for exclusive use of the Mexican military,” Gonzalez said. “He never said, ‘I got lost.’ He never said, ‘I am a Marine.’”
According to Gonzalez, when Andrew Tahmooressi was questioned about why he crossed the border, the traveler gave two answers: That he was crossing to visit friends, and that he was coming for medical treatment.

Gonzalez rejected Tahmooressi’s claims that he told inspectors he crossed accidentally. “Never, and I want to say this categorically, never did he say that he had made a mistake.”
New details muddy Marine vet's story? | UTSanDiego.com

Since he was not intending to enter mexico which lane he used is meaningless.

Maybe this will explain the route with pictures.

I see how the US Marine ended up in Mexico accidentally - I went to the scene and drove it myself and also walked it | Gretawire
well actually, if i were about to enter a country 'accidentally' and for some reason couldn't turn around or avoid entry i'd go through a lane where I could talk to someone about exiting as quickly as I entered. or if i were carrying all my worldly possessions into a country i might also go through the declarations lane. and i definitely would go through a declarations lane if I had a loaded gun sitting next to me. seems like the type of thing you'd want to declare, doesn't it?

and from greta's reporting i see very clearly marked signage about where the road he took would take him.

Last edited:

Oh...so that's the story he was told by a lawyer to "stick to the script"?

Fail.

I feel bad for this guy but abiding by the guest country's laws is pretty basic. He can't claim he's never visited a foreign country either or that he was ignorant of the law.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

If you miss that sharp right on US 90 in Del Rio, TX, you're going to Mexico or turning around at the border crossing.

[MENTION=42946]Howey[/MENTION]

Here ya go -

Q12AF8L.jpg

Thanks.

I can see now his this well-trained ex-Marine was soooooo aware that he was lugging an arsenal of weapons across the border "forgot" them.

Oy.

**eyeroll**

Forum List

Back