Thanksgiving Plans

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Well, we all know most of us will be eating turkey tomorrow, except vegetarians and those making duck, lobster and fish sticks.

Now, where are you eating?

Are you the one doing all the cooking and having the folks come over to your house, or going somewhere else?

I'm going to my brother and sister in laws, they have about 40-50 people every year, and it's only about a 20 minute drive. I always bring the veggie tray with my homemade dip.

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

I'm cooking, again. Turkey AND ham. My father in law and his girlfriend will be here.

Man, I would love not to have to cook on Thanksgiving and Christmas every year.

Well, we all know most of us will be eating turkey tomorrow, except vegetarians and those making duck, lobster and fish sticks.

Now, where are you eating?

Are you the one doing all the cooking and having the folks come over to your house, or going somewhere else?

I'm going to my brother and sister in laws, they have about 40-50 people every year, and it's only about a 20 minute drive. I always bring the veggie tray with my homemade dip.

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

It's going to be a 'crazy' Thanksgiving with our family. My nephew is undergoing radiation up at Mayo so my brother will bring him down to Madison, to have dinner with his wife's family. Then my brother will come to our Thanksgiving at his mother-in-law's, where I'll be helping her get the food ready. My sister-in-law, a nurse has to work. One of my sons is coming with me, the other and daughter going to their bf/gf's family, then coming to meet us for dessert. Then my brother has to go pick up his son from Madison and return him to Rochester.

We're expecting 25-30. So far the plan is quite traditional: turkey, ham, mashed and au gratin potatoes, wild rice, 4 different vegetables besides the sweet potatoes. Cranberries, gravy, salads, etc. We don't do a mess of appetizers, just jumbo shrimp and perhaps a couple dips/nibbles. Too much food. Desserts will of course be pumpkin and pecan pies, then cherry, french silk, and two cakes. Groan!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

I'm having Thanksgiving at home with my babies, and the babysitter, who prefers our Thanksgiving to Thanksgiving at her daughter's, because her daughter's in-laws attend and she can't stand to watch them eat.

Turkey, crab salad, stuffing, mashed tatoes, candied sweet potatoes (NOT yams), jello salad, gravy, cranberries, pickles, olives, celery sticks, chips, clam dip (maybe no clam dip tomorrow...but hte next day for sure) pie, rolls....I think that's it for tomorrow. Two adults and two kids, I mean really.

On FRIDAY we travel to my oldest son's house where he'll be with his little girl; his wife has to work until 4. So I'll put his turkey in, my mom is coming with jello salad and at his insistence potato salad. He loves potato salad and every year tries to con us into making it by saying it's traditional and we always have it (we've never had it for Christmas/Thanksgiving...we have it on Easter and the 4th). I'll be making more stuffing, more sweet potatoes, more mashed potatoes, more crab salad, more pie (frozen. We make killer pies but along the way we've decided to screw it...we make pies all year long. Thanksgiving and Christmas, everyone is so busy, we just buy frozen ones unless Mom decides she feels like baking). Cranberries, pickles, olives, CLAM DIP, chips, stuffed celery. Pretty basic, pretty laid back. My son doesn't even have a kitchen table, and his kitchen is like a wide hallway between the bedroom and the living room.

At some point after the turkey and before dinner (after 4, when daughter in law gets home) we'll visit my sister and her family across town. They always have clam dip, too. Maybe I won't have to make any, maybe we'll just mooch on hers. For them it will be post-T-day, and that's usually when they break out the goodies and just lay around all day eating yummies that were prepared the day before and visiting.

Then it's back to my place to feed the horses in the dark. Woo hoo.

Then Saturday I have to get ready for a week-long training and Sunday I leave and won't be back until the 9th.

Oh, and next Tuesday my daughter in law, the one in TEnnessee whose leave was cancelled so we won't be seeing her, leaves for Afghanistan. It was supposed to be on the 13th of December, then they cancelled her leave and said the 3rd of December...then yesterday they called her in and said surprise! You're shipping out Tuesday! Pack yer things!

Last edited:
I'm cooking, again. Turkey AND ham. My father in law and his girlfriend will be here.

Man, I would love not to have to cook on Thanksgiving and Christmas every year.
sheila,
I love the Cooking part, but i hate the clean up part....and that starts almost from the beginning of the cooking process, because you are cooking so many different things to make the whole meal so there ends up not having enough pots and pans or just no room for all the dirty ones laying around kind of thing! :( This is when i envy the rich and those that have kitchens big enough to have TWO DISHWASHERS! :eek:

I really don't enjoy eating at someone else's house because i enjoy the leftovers and what creative ways i can find to use them....open face turkey, dressingm gravy and cranberry on top... sandwiches, Turkey ala king, turkey pot pie, etc.... And when you eat at someone else's house, there usually isn't too much in the taking some of their leftovers home with us thingy! :)

care

Forum List

Back