Thank you President Obama

Looking under you avatar, I must ask, why do you hate hatters?

Oh, and what the Hell did Obama have to do with this?

hey rav, i heard on the radio, on my way into work this morning, how some some guy flew from liberia to brussels then took a flight to newark sick with the ebola. so, just goes to show what stopping flights from liberia to the USA would have accomplished...

hey rav, i heard on the radio, on my way into work this morning, how some some guy flew from liberia to brussels then took a flight to newark sick with the ebola. so, just goes to show what stopping flights from liberia to the USA would have accomplished...
Looks like the screening is working.

Apparently you've never heard of passports.

Why don’t we just ban flights from Africa?

The idea seems logical. Prevent sick people entering the country, keep your loved ones safe. It’s selfish, but understandable. A survey of over 1000 people by NBC News found that the majority of Americans (58%) support a ban on flights from countries where the Ebola virus has broken out.

Dr Tom Frieden, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, has tried to explain why he doesn’t support a travel ban:

Importantly, isolating countries won’t keep Ebola contained and away from American shores. Paradoxically, it will increase the risk that Ebola will spread in those countries and to other countries, and that we will have more patients who develop Ebola in the US. People will move between countries, even when governments restrict travel and trade. And that kind of travel becomes almost impossible to track.

Simply put: you can’t seal the country. If you blocked air travel, it would force desperate individuals to use alternative routes – over land and sea – to escape the epidemic. They’ll still end up in the US, except you won’t know where.

An attempted travel ban would be like locking yourself in a cabin on a sinking ship and praying the flood doesn’t seep through the gaps, and that the water pressure won’t be enough to burst through the door.

There are many reasons why a flight ban would be practically impossible to implement. For example, remember that Thomas Eric Duncan, the US patient who caught the Ebola virus in his native Liberia, flew to Texas via Brussels in Belgium. An effective ban would require international coordination. Would every nation agree to quarantine West Africa, to cripple their economy and choke them of humanitarian aid? Unlikely.

Ebola Is Coming. A Travel Ban Won t Stop Outbreaks - Forbes

The idea seems logical. Prevent sick people entering the country, keep your loved ones safe. It’s selfish, but understandable. A survey of over 1000 people by NBC News found that the majority of Americans (58%) support a ban on flights from countries where the Ebola virus has broken out.

Dr Tom Frieden, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, has tried to explain why he doesn’t support a travel ban:

Importantly, isolating countries won’t keep Ebola contained and away from American shores. Paradoxically, it will increase the risk that Ebola will spread in those countries and to other countries, and that we will have more patients who develop Ebola in the US. People will move between countries, even when governments restrict travel and trade. And that kind of travel becomes almost impossible to track.

Simply put: you can’t seal the country. If you blocked air travel, it would force desperate individuals to use alternative routes – over land and sea – to escape the epidemic. They’ll still end up in the US, except you won’t know where.

An attempted travel ban would be like locking yourself in a cabin on a sinking ship and praying the flood doesn’t seep through the gaps, and that the water pressure won’t be enough to burst through the door.

There are many reasons why a flight ban would be practically impossible to implement. For example, remember that Thomas Eric Duncan, the US patient who caught the Ebola virus in his native Liberia, flew to Texas via Brussels in Belgium. An effective ban would require international coordination. Would every nation agree to quarantine West Africa, to cripple their economy and choke them of humanitarian aid? Unlikely.

I replied to this same link in another thread. The article relies on two easily debunked points.

1. That a ban will prevent aid and help from getting to those countries. The problem with this is that NO ONE is talking about banning aid and supplies, so that's bull shit.

2. That keeping people in those countries will somehow make things worse. No one ever explains that. Perhaps the virus is aware that people are being kept there? It also assumes that somehow if people are allowed to leave, it will help cure the sick.

It's 100% bull shit if you stop just automatically believeling everything you are told and start using common sense.

2. If people leave, they won't get sick.

1. If you ban travel that also means travel in, because no one is going to go there if there is no way out.

Here's some Earth-shattering news for ya ... Brussels is not in Liberia.

I replied to this same link in another thread. The article relies on two easily debunked points.

1. That a ban will prevent aid and help from getting to those countries. The problem with this is that NO ONE is talking about banning aid and supplies, so that's bull shit.

2. That keeping people in those countries will somehow make things worse. No one ever explains that. Perhaps the virus is aware that people are being kept there? It also assumes that somehow if people are allowed to leave, it will help cure the sick.

It's 100% bull shit if you stop just automatically believeling everything you are told and start using common sense.

maybe you should stop knee jerk disbelieving what you don't understand just because you are so afraid.

what you claim to debunk as 'bullshit' has by no means been debunked..preventing aid would be what's called an unintended consequence...

Here's some Earth-shattering news for ya ... Brussels is not in Liberia.

:lol: no kidding?

Our President has saved millions of Americans from getting a deadly disease

We should all be thankful

Looking under you avatar, I must ask, why do you hate hatters?

Oh, and what the Hell did Obama have to do with this?
He's responsible for everything to do with ebola. Haven't you been watching the news?

OK.

Now, why do you hate hatters?

Isn't a hatter someone who makes hats? That miserable Obama, doing a hat making operation out of the white house. Another reason for impeachment.

The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit - The Week

The American public health system has largely contained the exceptionally deadly Ebola virus, despite early mistakes and some confusing public statements from official voices.
No person who contracted the disease in the United States has died. A Texas nurse who treated Thomas Eric Duncan, an Ebola patient from Liberia, has been upgraded to "good" condition. A second nurse, Amber Vinson, remains "weak," according to her mother, but is recovering.

Thank you President Obama!

Forum List

Back