Texas turns to Natural Gas after Wind Energy fails.

The Home Power magazine has many good articles concerning batteries. Here is another one from the net;

Our Simple DIY Home Solar Power System Eartheasy Blog

I have heard of people getting used forklift batteries from the Postal Service, and bringing them back to 80% level. According to the article, all they had to do was sign an agreement they they would dispose of them in an approved, recycle, fashion.

The Home Power magazine has many good articles concerning batteries. Here is another one from the net;

Our Simple DIY Home Solar Power System Eartheasy Blog

I have heard of people getting used forklift batteries from the Postal Service, and bringing them back to 80% level. According to the article, all they had to do was sign an agreement they they would dispose of them in an approved, recycle, fashion.
Forklift batteries can be sent out for repair. Installing new plates for some of the bigger ones I dealt with. I didn't see the ones I worked on yet, but they are very high capacity banks. The cost would be high for the overhaul, but they would smoke the total ampere hours on the listed Solar batteries............

Was seeing some cheap prices on 900 ampere hour battery sets online. I'm also looking at Military disposal sites,

Military disposal sites, now I didn't think of that. Might be a very good source.
Government Surplus Auctions at Government Liquidation

Looking at the military surplus generators right now. Just browsing.............30 kw military grade generators and the bids are only $650.....................I could power 3 houses for that, but Diesel isn't so cheap...............but for a back up power system and a road trip with a heavy trailer you can have a large generator for a fraction of the cost.

Yo, its cheaper, and this Administration is crying that Texas stood up to them! The Anti-Christ is dirt mad!!!

"GTP"
Obama-cry-baby21.jpg

Yo, its cheaper, and this Administration is crying that Texas stood up to them! The Anti-Christ is dirt mad!!!

"GTP"
View attachment 37833
The cost of a solar grid is Very Expensive.............I've shown that already in this thread.............Natural Gas is cheaper but the infrastructure, aka Gas Turbines aren't cheap...............The cost of conversion will ramp up utility bills........even more as they keep going up. which is why I'm simply looking into this stuff again at all............The bang for the buck is not there.

YO.

Ametek Model SS12300-13-12-60 30KVA Inverter System sn S931110111 DC Input 120 VDC 287.4 Amps Bypass AC Input 120 V - Government Liquidation

This is an Industrial Grade Inverter. 2 cabinets and very heavy............Standard UPS power back up system with a very large bank...............Standard banks for these are 48vdc..............charged at 52vdc................We have installed these systems and battery chargers at work many times.............I've mounted them and hooked them up.

Again, they are HEAVY............need a hoist for this type of inverter.............but it will beat any thing that the Solar guys are pushing right now............Only downfall is the bank has to be VERY LARGE.............as does the system charging it.................but the output power capabilities of these cabinets are the best out there.

Thank you, Eagle.This is why I continue to come to these boards. Every once in a while, somebody posts real information that could be useful to me.
Your Welcome.............Just posting data as I continue my research to see how I can build a cheap battery bank and inverter system..................

Looking at Locomotive battery banks now.............checked amperhour draws versus the one's listed at the Solar company's stuff............So far it seems the Solar companies amperage draws are winning out in the end.........even though I could buy the locomotive batteries cheaper...........

Still looking and browsing.............found the inverters and though it would be worth posting..........as I did on the Generator sets...........I'm getting very interested in one of those...............They will easily power a house..............

I'm also looking for submarine batteries.........haven't found yet...........so far the best prices I've found is the forklift batteries.............

On the disposal site for Alabama their are 3 pallet jacks for sale now...........2 of them have 947 ampere hour battery banks that are operational.........

fyi.........If you buy one of these inverter sets............they have scr's in them..........gated to pulse for a/c output...........which is how many give you a/c from d/c................

How to test one of those scr's with a flashlight............the video doesn't show the hook up..inside the battery.........2 wires attack to the postive of the flashlight battery.......and one to the negative.........
the yellow wire is the negative...........

bump.

FYI you can buy the battery acid at local auto parts stores..........

Didn't know that...........passing it on.

More information as I see useful sites.

Pssst Wanna Buy A Free Solar Powered Carport CleanTechnica

This site seems more reasonable than most and is showing ways to finance systems. Rebates and Tech Updates.

Renewable Energy Lending Admirals Bank

This bank finances 0 down up to $40,000 for Renewable Energy Loans...........at a 4.95% rate up to 20 years. Note: There is no limit to the Tax Credit from the Federal Gov't. So if you got $40,000 you would get $12,000 back in Tax Credits on the next Tax Return.

Will The Tesla Gigafactory Turn On Early CleanTechnica

Tesla's Giga Battery Factory is ahead of schedule..........teaming up with Panasonic.

What Does A SolarCity Tesla Storage System Cost

Even so, he did get some figures that would apply to his case if he was an existing SolarCity customer (he has solar but got it elsewhere, btw). He could (hypothetically) get a 10-kWh Tesla battery (to power the refrigerator, lights, etc. in a power outage) under a 10-year lease for a $1500 upfront cost + $15/month. That amounts to $3300 over 10 years. Not super cheap, but is actually less than I would have guessed off the top of my head. I’m curious to see how much the price for this comes down by the time the Tesla & Panasonic Gigafactoryis pumping out batteries. I imagine it will come down a lot, as SolarCity has said that it plans to sell battery storage with every solar system within 5-10 years.

You will soon if not now be able to LEASE the battery bank...........as the article states $1500 up front and $15 a month............for renting it...............for a 10 kwh battery bank...............Which wouldn't be a bad deal as batteries tend to have to be replaced every 5 years or so now.............

You wouldn't get the Federal Tax Credit...........I believe.............since it's a Lease..........If you Lease a system the tax credits go to the company leasing it to you.

Turing to something for your energy needs that will run out within a few hundred years at the most is dumb.
How so..................as in 200 years you don't think we'll find something else...............some new power source..............We have Gas.............we have Coal............both with 200 years of Service.............That's 400 years.................

I'm seeing a going trend on the attack of these industries.............I see the prices going up by design from the Green Machine...............

I've been getting a few high Power Bills...............so I'm considering producing some of my own Green Power even though I don't buy into the Rhetoric..............My biggest money saving event next winter will about 5 cords of wood..........which will minimize my 57,000 btu electric heater.................which draws 16.7 kwh EVERY HOUR.................

I'm just posting some of my research and findings..............feel free to do the same.

Once solar panels are installed, the price is now free...........so my main question is the calculation methods to determine the time period used to factor the overall cost of a system over the lifespan of the system.

If a company says it is good for 25 years, and uses this data for the cost per Kwh hour the data will be skewed............

Those who push the product will give it high marks............It all depends on how you rate the life of the panels and system.

I priced a 10 kva system, installed for about 35k a little over a year ago...........that didn't include the battery bank...................according to the article the low end is $5 bucks a watt.............or 50k for the system. that's not a cheap system unless it lasts you a lifetime.

I've had a solar array for 30 years now. When I first put it together I was getting about 14% efficiency. Now I'm down to about 8%. I keep them as clean as possible but they were never able to power the whole house. I do have a water wheel as well and that has been the best investment I ever made for electricity. We're screwed when the water freezes up but other than that it is solid 24/7 power.

Once solar panels are installed, the price is now free...........so my main question is the calculation methods to determine the time period used to factor the overall cost of a system over the lifespan of the system.

If a company says it is good for 25 years, and uses this data for the cost per Kwh hour the data will be skewed............

Those who push the product will give it high marks............It all depends on how you rate the life of the panels and system.

I priced a 10 kva system, installed for about 35k a little over a year ago...........that didn't include the battery bank...................according to the article the low end is $5 bucks a watt.............or 50k for the system. that's not a cheap system unless it lasts you a lifetime.

I've had a solar array for 30 years now. When I first put it together I was getting about 14% efficiency. Now I'm down to about 8%. I keep them as clean as possible but they were never able to power the whole house. I do have a water wheel as well and that has been the best investment I ever made for electricity. We're screwed when the water freezes up but other than that it is solid 24/7 power.
I've been watching my power consumption trying to figure the way to use less power...........My mega bills were in the winter............one of the key problems being the large heater...........and the insulation had loosened on the wall causing it to suck partially into the side of the blower motor.............Causing it to be a major flow problem.............reglued it...................but it's still a 57k btu heater which uses a lot of power................

I'm considering doing this.........and would probably do it sooner until I found out that Alabama power has figured a way to steal the electricity you produce...........a $5 per K a month...............so I'm looking for off grid options.................to keep from paying for power I'm producing..................but the batteries are VERY EXPENSIVE...............

I'm thinking of possibly going for it later this year..............but I have to sell my wife and that ain't no easy sell.....................LOL..........End of the year to get the Tax Credits in only a few months............Your getting 30% back on the taxes................so I continue to do the research............

Thanks for the input..........any suggestions and help would be appreciated.......primarily with who has the best panels and inverters...............

Forum List

Back