Texas man get's fired for religious beliefs AKA the Leftwingnut Strawman Thread

He's suing under the same Civil Rights Act of 1964 that so many on USMB want to see being repealed. I wonder if many of those same people will be rallying in this thread against it in this case. :eusa_think:

Do you think the man should have been fired?

Our faith has been under assault since way before you were born Modbert.

Madeline Ohare comes to mind, and yet many are ok with sharia law being implemented in this country, what more shall we sacrifice on the altar of political correctness?

Yeah, with all those churches being shut down by the government and people FORCED to not pray or worship in any way. :eusa_eh:

Madeline Ohare comes to mind, and yet many are ok with sharia law being implemented in this country, what more shall we sacrifice on the altar of political correctness?

See Hjmick's post for what I think. What if he was told from then on that his daily route would involve dropping people off at PP daily? And he refused? Should his employer continue to pay for a employee who refuses to do his job?

There is a point where religious beliefs get in the way of a job. Do you think people with some of the more extreme religious beliefs are going to get their way in the hospital field? "Oh, I'm sorry, I can't do this blood transfusion, my religion won't allow it."

You know what's going to happen? They're likely going to tell you to GTFO.

Blood transfusion? That is ridiculous, come on Modbert. The man did not get in the way of a job, he tried to reconcile it by calling his supervisor, who in fact made a decision to fire him instead of sending another driver

Not ridiculous at all...there are religions that do not believe in blood transfusions.

Show of hands who else thinks that if the bus driver had been atheist, Jewish, Muslim or Hindu and had refused to take the woman to PP they still would have fired him?

They would have fired him and the people on this board would have called him a lazy liberal.

What if this driver was black & the cab company was only licensed to pick-up people in a all white prejudice neighborhood. Daily passengers refused to ride with the black driver. The owner kept losing money because of this, had daily aggravating phone calls & had to send other drivers long distances to cater to the most prejudice passengers.

Should the owner fire the black driver because customers hate him. Should the driver be promoted to a management job for which he is not qualified to get him off the street & prevent firing him in order to avoid a discrimination lawsuit. Or should the black driver be paid to stay home or sweep the floor & empty trash.

Your example is too moronic and specific for words. Seriously, I got to the part where it said "only licensed to pick-up people in a all white prejudice neighborhood" and facepalmed at the stupidity.

This happens a lot. Back in 1987 I started working as a Xerox printer repair technician. A fellow black woman technician who I was friends with was not allowed to enter many customers business or homes because they felt a black woman was not capable of fixing their expensive complicated equipment. This was a huge problem for the company. They could not fire her & did not want to pay her to do nothing all day so they were forced to promote her to be our boss & sent her to management classes. They also had to raise her pay to equal other supervisors so they would not be discriminating against her. We had to eat shit from the angry black bitch for years. If we ever disagreed with anything we were called white supremacist & given shit work. There was no way to get promoted ahead of the blacks. It sure sucks being a white boy working for large companies. I finally left after 5 years to work for a small start-up that did not have all those PC issues. Life was good after that.

Well, of course. It was all her fault.

Show of hands who else thinks that if the bus driver had been atheist, Jewish, Muslim or Hindu and had refused to take the woman to PP they still would have fired him?

Hand raised.

And.....show of hands who else thinks that if the bus driver had been atheist, Jewish, Muslim or Hindu and had refused to take the woman to PP those defending him here and in court would still be doing so?

I didn't read this whole thread through, but I do remember some Walmart controversy where Muslims refused to touch pork, lingerie, and DVDs or some nonsense. I see a parallel here. Does anyone know how that was decided?

I didn't read this whole thread through, but I do remember some Walmart controversy where Muslims refused to touch pork, lingerie, and DVDs or some nonsense. I see a parallel here. Does anyone know how that was decided?

Walmart is a private company not funded by tax dollars.
When I worked for the city, if I had refused to help a customer due to their beliefs I would have been fired.

I found this:

Some [Minnesota] Muslim cashiers had declined to scan products such as bacon because doing so would conflict with their religious beliefs. They would ask other cashiers to ring up such purchases, or some customers scanned the items themselves.

Minneapolis-based Target Corp. (TGT) has offered the cashiers the option of wearing gloves, shifting to other positions or transferring to other stores.

"We are confident that this is a reasonable solution for our guests and team members," Target spokeswoman Paula Thornton-Greear said in a statement e-mailed to The Associated Press on Saturday.
Is this a fair compromise? Yes. Religion-workplace law essentially dictates that employers must make "reasonable accommodations" for their employees' religious beliefs. Federal law mandates this for employers with over 15 workers; however, individual state laws may add further stipulations.

If an employer claims that he cannot accommodate an employee (or employees), he would have to demonstrate that the potential accommodation would harm his business. And, the employer does not have to agree to an accommodation asked for by an employee. (Ansonia Board of Education v. Philbrook, 479 U.S. 60 [1986]). Target's accommodations are clearly reasonable; wearing gloves or taking a different position within a store certainly fall into the "reasonable" criteria. (I'm a bit confused, however, about how "transferring to another store" would solve the issue at hand.) If I were the manager of a Target where some of my cashiers were asking customers to check some items themselves and/or requesting other cashiers to handle certain items, I'd absolutely make use of the above accommodations. The two "pre-accommodation" options utilized by the Muslim cashiers are obviously bad for business. And Trans World Airlines, Inc. v. Hardison, 432 U.S. 63 (1977), would back up my position as it noted "that an employer need not incur more than minimal costs in order to accommodate an employee’s religious practices." (My emphasis.) However, one recent development -- the "Workplace Religious Freedom Act of 2005" -- seems to be in conflict with this, but is unlikely to hinder Target's accommodation plan.

The Colossus of Rhodey: Muslim cashiers refuse to touch pork

Hmmm. Sounds like the employer didn't make a "reasonable accomodation" Pixie was right. The guy should get his job back.

in massachusetts they have a law that you have to give the religious off on their holidays if they request it....with or without pay, or allow them to use personal days or sick days...

2 women wanted off christmas, the company said they had to work, they refused, the company fired them, they sued and the above was the result.

the only thing on him refusing just because it was planned parenthood, is that planned parenthood in Austin covers sooooo many other medical things....in fact, it says on their site that 82% of the women that go there, do so for PREVENTING a pregnancy from occuring.....NOT for abortion services.

Did You Know ...

Planned Parenthood health centers focus on prevention: 82 percent of our clients receive services to prevent unintended pregnancy.

Three percent of all Planned Parenthood health services are abortion services.

so, it could be that because of FALSE information that has been spread around, he refused this job?

I think that as a minister, he should have told his boss upfront, what would get in his way of doing his job for his religious concerns, like the muslims did in chanel's article on them and ''pork'', so that arrangements could have been made....like any calls for planned parenthood, give to another driver from the beginning or something like that....

this case could go one way, or the other...imho

Well.....if he didn't voice his objections BEFORE the event happened, he's responsible for not informing his employer, and therefore, should be fired without any lawsuit award.

He's suing under the same Civil Rights Act of 1964 that so many on USMB want to see being repealed. I wonder if many of those same people will be rallying in this thread against it in this case. :eusa_think:

It's lies like these that do NOPT help your conservative cause...

"Our faith has been under assault since way before you were born Modbert. "

Your faith is NOT Under assualt.

sane and rational people (many of whom are christians) are merelytrying to keep you from establishing your religion as the law of the land

as long as you keep trying to ram YOUR religion down everyones throat you will find resistance.

"and yet many are ok with sharia law being implemented in this country"

ridiculous.

we oppose sharia law as strongly as we oppose christian law

keep ALL of your religions to yourselves

STOP trying to litigate your religious mumbo jumbo

The man was discriminated against because of his beliefs, he did the right thing by calling his supervisor, but she instead chose to fire him instead of sending another driver

he wasn't discriminated against. he was fired for not doing his job.

tell me, how did mr. omniscient know that she wasn't going there for a pregnancy test? or HIV testing? or even abstinence training which planned parenthood also offers... or maybe education about safe sex....

if he refused to take someone to church, would you think he should be fired.

i'm kinda betting you would.

he has every right to his own religious beliefs. this case has nothing to do with his religion...

What if she had just been going for a Pap smear?

If that was the case, I'd consider him to be a slacker.

Not the point, it does not matter what her intent was, what matters is the fact that the man objected based on his faith. And was fired based on that

Not the point. He had no right to impose his beliefs on others. Those are private and none of his business. He should be fired. It's no different than Muslim cab drivers refusing to pick up people who have been drinking. It's none of their business and they should also be fired.

Who wants to see it repealed?
Names, please.

Forum List

Back