Texas "guns in college" law is causing mass emigration from the state

How 'campus carry' is spurring a Texas brain drain | Arts | Dallas News

Texas recently allowed college students to carry guns on campus. In addition to the spike in crime this has caused (the murder rate on college campuses in Texas has increased by FOUR HUNDRED per cent over the past four MONTHS), many professors and students, fearing for their lives, have found jobs or positions at colleges in other states.

This is another example of right wingers valuing their precious guns over the safety of their fellow citizens, or the quality of education in their state. Texas has become even more of a national laughingstock than it was already, and that's saying something.

But think of the number of lives those guns have saved. I mean, just being in your pocket you saved your own life that day from the govt coming in and killing you, so...... it saved more lives than it killed, even if there's a 400% increase in killings. It's called LObullshitGIC.

I do not care how many bad men have guns, as long as good men are not denied an effective means of defending themselves.

Well if there are more murders, then surely having a gun REDUCES their chance of SUCCESSFUL self defense.

Well if there are more murders, then surely having a gun REDUCES their chance of SUCCESSFUL self defense.
Yeah, that is why every military organization on the planet DISARMS their troops before combat.

Good Gawd, you are one stupid fuck.

Texas recently allowed college students to carry guns on campus. In addition to the spike in crime this has caused (the murder rate on college campuses in Texas has increased by FOUR HUNDRED per cent over the past four MONTHS), many professors and students, fearing for their lives, have found jobs or positions at colleges in other states.

This is another example of right wingers valuing their precious guns over the safety of their fellow citizens, or the quality of education in their state. Texas has become even more of a national laughingstock than it was already, and that's saying something.
You of course, have some proof of this 400 percent number....or anything said in the article......right?

But think of the number of lives those guns have saved. I mean, just being in your pocket you saved your own life that day from the govt coming in and killing you, so...... it saved more lives than it killed, even if there's a 400% increase in killings. It's called LObullshitGIC.

1. No one is saying that the primary people we have to protect ourselves from is the government, though that is one group. The primary concern are criminals in and out of the government.

2. Of course it is bullshit logic because YOU are making it.

There have been over 50 murders on college campuses in Texas this past MONTH. Before the "guns on campus" law was passed, that number was about 3 murders a YEAR.

And yet, the silence from the NRA about this inconvenient statistic is deafening

There have been over 50 murders on college campuses in Texas this past MONTH. Before the "guns on campus" law was passed, that number was about 3 murders a YEAR.

And yet, the silence from the NRA about this inconvenient statistic is deafening

Where is this statistic to be found?

I do not care how many bad men have guns, as long as good men are not denied an effective means of defending themselves.
Guns are not an effective means of self defense. There are about 300 cases of self defense with a gun per year, compared o 33,00 deaths from gun violence

How many of those 33,000 were armed and not gang-bangers?

Don't 'colleges' in Taxus teach that Jesus rode a dinosaur and the Earth is 6,000 years old?

The words college and Texas just don't go together. Like oil and water.

Texas would be the perfect testing place for a nuclear weapon.

And yes, you are right. The state of Texas MANDATES that all colleges in the country teach a creationism class, and prohibits the teaching of evolution in the state.

Wait, it prohibits the teaching of evolution?
Yes. If a high school teacher or college professor teaches evolution in the state of Texas, he/she can be sentenced to five years in prison.

Compare this to the fact that threatening somebody with a gun in Texas is only punishable by 6 months in prison, and you see how fucked up that state is.

Link?

Don't 'colleges' in Taxus teach that Jesus rode a dinosaur and the Earth is 6,000 years old?

The words college and Texas just don't go together. Like oil and water.

Texas would be the perfect testing place for a nuclear weapon.

And yes, you are right. The state of Texas MANDATES that all colleges in the country teach a creationism class, and prohibits the teaching of evolution in the state.

Provide evidence to support your comment because I know for a fact you are lying there!

1. Texas is no longer a country and is a State to this Union.

2. You have stated in this thread you would like to kill minorities because you want to use a nuclear weapon on a Minority-Majority State.

Well, given that you are from Texas, I see no reason for you to participate in an unbiased conversation about the flaws of your state

Your comments are as biased as can be!

So provide the link where Texas Law states Colleges can not teach evolution and can only teach creationism or be branded the ignorant liar that you are!

You do know Texas is a Minority-Majority State and that many Cities within the State are Democratic...

I have a brother who is stationed at Fort Hood, my sister is training to be an Army doctor at Fort Sam Houston, and my best friend from the Army is currently at Fort Bliss. I have visited them several times, and keep in touch with them, and all three of them tell me that besides for the skin color of the residents, it is very hard to tell the difference between Texas and Afghanistan

You really are a tool. Why are you lying?

Sweet!!!
All the liberal pansies are leaving Texas!!!!
The intelligent and educated people are leaving Texas.

Doubling down on your idiocy?

Campus carry hasn't resulted in a single reported murder, assault, suicide attempt, or fatality in Texas or any other state that allows it. As pointed out by the campus carry policy working group at the University of Texas at Austin, there is zero evidence that campus carry has resulted in a spike in crime anywhere. Your factoid about the murder rate on Texas college campuses increasing 400% over the past four months is bogus--Texas's campus carry law has been in effect for only two and a half months, and there haven't been any on-campus murders during that time. In fact, there haven't been any resulting crimes (of any kind) reported since the new law took effect.

If the statistic you cited is based on anything more than your own imagination, it's probably based on the four months PRIOR TO THE NEW LAW TAKING EFFECT, when there was an on-campus murder at the University of Texas at Austin.

For anyone who cares, here are a few documents explaining why the Texas Legislature saw fit to legalize the licensed, concealed carry of handguns on public college campuses:

"A Refresher on the Case for Campus Carry in Texas" from Students for Concealed Carry, aka SCC (this a Google Archive; the actual page seems to be down): A Refresher on the Case for Campus Carry in Texas

SCC's 2015 Texas legislative handout (includes Dec. 9 - May 22, 2015, press releases and op-eds): SCC's 2015 Texas Legislative Handout

SCC’s Oct. 2, 2015 – Oct. 10, 2016, Texas press releases and op-eds: Texas Students for Concealed Carry - Campus Carry Press Releases & Op-Eds - Oct. 2, 2015 - Oct. 10, 2016

So the state legislature ignored the campus police and the wishes of the student body and the administration to force guns down the throat of institutions of higher learning.

Link?

I would say they were following the wishes of the people of Texas.

So the state legislature ignored the campus police and the wishes of the student body and the administration to force guns down the throat of institutions of higher learning.

Campus police are not universally against campus carry. The chiefs of police who chose to voice an opinion prior to the passage of the Texas law sided with their employers (university administrators), in opposition to the proposed law, but that's in keeping with what we saw twenty years ago when Texas was debating the idea of licensed concealed carry in general. Many chiefs of police initially opposed concealed carry but later had a change of heart after they saw that the program works well.

You're probably right that most college students opposed the passage of the law, but an argumentum ad populum doesn't trump factual evidence. And like the chiefs of police who initially opposed concealed handgun licensing, the students who opposed campus carry seem to be getting over it pretty quickly.

Suggesting that the unfounded opinion of any particular group--much less a university student body, a group that is not only transient but largely too young to obtain a license to carry--should trump factual evidence in deciding this (or any) law is more than a little misguided. There is a reason laws are passed by elected representatives tasked with researching the facts and making informed decisions.

Texas legislators researched the facts and found no reason that someone who is vetted and licensed to carry a concealed handgun at a movie theater on Friday, at a shopping mall on Saturday, and in a church on Sunday should be prohibited from doing so in a lecture hall on Monday. They concluded that there is no fundamental difference between carrying a gun in a municipal library and carrying a gun in a campus library. They decided that the same adults who already had the right to carry guns in the outdoor areas of college campuses and who had long been trusted to carry guns throughout the Texas Capitol could be trusted to do so in college buildings.
I'm gonna reread your little bullshit justifications and shake my head when a Charles Whitman style massacre happens again thanks to you allowing guns on campus. You know the original reason guns were banned on campus was in 1967 to prevent another clock tower massacre, right? It seems like you right wingers love to see people shot.

Moron....this actually happened when whitman started shooting....students with hunting rifles returned fire and helped to save lives....

96 Minutes

CLIF DRUMMOND was a senior and the student body president. He is a high-tech executive in Austin.
Students with deer rifles were leaning up against telephone poles, using the pole, which is rather narrow, as their shield. And they were firing like crazy back at the Tower.

FORREST PREECE was a junior. A retired advertising executive, he lives in Austin.
I saw two guys in white shirts and slacks running across the lawn of the Pi Phi house, hustling up to its porch with rifles at the ready. Someone was yelling, “Keep down, man. Keep down!”

BRENDA BELL: I don’t know where these vigilantes came from, but they took over Parlin Hall and were crashing around, firing guns. There was massive testosterone.

J. M. COETZEE was a Ph.D. candidate in English literature and linguistics. A novelist who won the 2003 Nobel Prize for literature, he lives in Adelaide, Australia.
I hadn’t fully comprehended that lots of people around me in Austin not only owned guns but had them close at hand and regarded themselves as free to use them.

BILL HELMER: I remember thinking, “All we need is a bunch of idiots running around with rifles.” But what they did turned out to be brilliant. Once he could no longer lean over the edge and fire, he was much more limited in what he could do. He had to shoot through those drain spouts, or he had to pop up real fast and then dive down again. That’s why he did most of his damage in the first twenty minutes.
If guns weren't allowed on campus in the first place, then this whole shitty scenario would be avoided altogether. Instead, a deranged was legally allowed to bring a high powered sniper rifle onto a college campus, and look what happened. They changed the law to try to avoid this issue, only to be sabotaged 40 years later by gun nut conservatives with no knowledge of history.

Moron.......all of the college shootings happened on gun free college campuses.....he was not allowed to bring the rifle on the campus to shoot people...he murdered people to get into that tower you moron...... Actual eyewitness accounts say armed civilians stopped him from shooting people and you deny it...

Do some fucking research.....

There is another thread asking if you hate liberals. This OP is why.

Guns on campus in Texas has a fine tradition. Just ask Charles Whitman.

better yet ask Allen Crum

The Armed Civilian Who Helped Stop UT’s Tower Sniper 50 Years Ago

The Armed Civilian Who Helped Stop UT’s Tower Sniper 50 Years Ago
Once again, if Charles Whitman were not allowed to bring a gun on campus in the first place, there would be no need for "good samaritans" to bring their own guns just to counter another guy with a gun.

It's called freedom of choice and the individual right to carry their firearm.

I know this is one thing you will proclaim is evil and should never be allowed but disarming the greater society would only be in the benefit for terrorists, criminals, and your type of government that enforces tyranny over it citizens...

Also those like you believe if a shooter does not have a gun they will not kill anyone but then I can point to the OKC bombing, or how about the Twin Tower attacks, and seeing no guns were used there mean people will find their way to kill no matter what.

So as you argue how guns are bad the reality is fools like you hate guns because you fear someone will stop you ( yes you ) from committing some heinous act against the general public...

Seeing you claim to have been in the military make me wonder are you one of those converted sleepers?
Guns are the cause of more deaths a MONTH than 9/11 and the OKC bombing combined

Also, don't forget that Timothy Mcveigh was an nra member[/QUOTE]

So am I, but I haven't blown up any federal buildings.

You truly are a complete waste of oxygen.

Last edited:

You of course, have some proof of this 400 percent number....or anything said in the article......right?
You know it's a lie.

Once again, if Charles Whitman were not allowed to bring a gun on campus in the first place,.
It takes a special kind brand of criminally stupid to believe that making it illegal to bring a gun on campus will stop someone who wants to shoot up that campus from doing so.
A VERY special brand..

more so when time and again it has been proven that gun free zones are a dismal faiure
Tell me why most shootings in the usa take place in private homes, not in so called "gun free zones"

Because that is where criminals live!

My God, you are as stupid as they come!

Prove it!

If that were anywhere close to true, it would be leading the lame stream media every night on the news!

Guns on campus in Texas has a fine tradition. Just ask Charles Whitman.

The previous ban on firearms on college campuses in Texas was enacted after the Charles Whitman massacre.

Looks like the right wing WANTS more school shootings. The nra takes pride in seeing people get shot.
Don't be so naive, Gonzalo. Do you believe a gun ban would have stopped a determined screwball like Whitman? Repressive laws simply don't work. Look at the drug laws. Thirty-four years of almost Gestapo-like repression and drugs are more available today than when Reagan escalated the utterly counterproductive War on Drugs.

The spike in gun-related crimes which followed the recent loosening of gun restrictions on campuses was to be expected after so many years of relative prohibition -- just as a spike in marijuana-related offenses has followed the legalization trend.

Give it time for all the latent crazies to shake out and I'm quite sure the final outcome will reflect a well-needed adjustment. As it is the incidents of campus shootings have become so commonplace there is no question that it's time to enable those who are willing and able to defend themselves (and others) to have the means to do so.

Again, give it time. Once the crazies and misfits are eliminated things will quiet down.

You know it's a lie.
Yes....but I thought I'd ask...Its the polite thing to do....

:biggrin:

Forum List

Back