Texas Governor Defends Religious Liberties, Game On!!!

SassyIrishLass

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2009
It will be interesting to see how this plays out, Texas just gave a big FU to SCOTUS

Texas Governor Defends Religious Liberties

There is one state (and if you have read my articles before, you know which one I’m talking about) that is already leading the way, in essence combating SCOTUS and their disastrous decision. Of course, I’m talking about the Lone Star State.

In a directive issued in the last few hours, Texas Governor Gregg Abbott has informed all those agencies that they are to comply with the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, Article I of the Texas Constitution, and the Texas Religious Freedom Act. In other words, he just shut down same-sex marriage in Texas and ordered everyone to preserve the religious liberties and First Amendment rights of all Texans.

Read it here:

“Texans of all faiths must be absolutely secure in the knowledge that their religious freedom is beyond the reach of government,” Governor Abbott wrote in the memorandum obtained by Breitbart Texas. “Renewing and reinforcing that promise is all the more important in light of the Supreme Court’s decision in Obergefell v. Hodges. The government must never pressure a person to abandon or violate his or her sincerely held religious beliefs regarding a topic such as marriage. That sort of religious coercion will never be a ‘compelling governmental interest,’ and it will never be ‘the least restrictive means of furthering that interest.’”

“With these obligations in mind,” Abbott continued, “I expect all agencies under my direction to prioritize compliance with the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, Article I of the Texas Constitution, and the Texas Religious Freedom Restoration Act. All state agency heads should ensure that no one acting on behalf of their agency takes any adverse action against any person, as defined in Chapter 311 of the Texas Government Code, on account of the person’s act or refusal to act that is substantially motivated by sincere religious belief. This order applies to any agency decision, including but not limited to granting or denying benefits, managing agency employees, entering or enforcing agency contracts, licensing and permitting decisions, or enforcing state laws and regulations.”

Governor of Texas Just Said What He s Doing After Gay Marriage Ruling It s HARDCORE

You realize he's just trying to force a court battle that will eventually be lost by texas

Licenses must be issued

As a Democrat, I support organizing this by party. So if the State of Texas wants to recognize equal beliefs in gay marriage as in traditional marriage, why not authorize the Democrats to set up a statewide system of licensing and benefits.

Mayor Parker in Houston also used executive authority to change the city policy and recognize same sex partners for benefits for city employees. So if the City of Houston can recognize this, then anyone should be able to.

Let all groups organize under the system they believe in, similar to how Catholics orchestrate communion
under different policies than Lutherans do.

Why not respect equal religious freedom for all groups, so nobody feels forced to compromise or impose one belief over any other.

If this requires separating resources by party, that would also solve similar problems with funding health care
under different political beliefs. Why not empower and reward parties for organizing their own systems for their own members so everyone is represented and has an equal free choice in participation, funding and supporting the policies of their beliefs.

945953_641781065836503_427386142_n.jpg

You realize he's just trying to force a court battle that will eventually be lost by texas

As a prochoice Democrat, I would support separating party policies similar to religions.
And not abuse govt to impose or establish one over any other, but give all citizens equal access to
the options of their free choice.

The same system would solve conflicts over not just marriage, but health care,
the death penalty and education. Give people the choice to separate funding
and then we can see where we agree or disagree without the pressure to dominate and bully to defend each view.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, Texas just gave a big FU to SCOTUS

There is one state (and if you have read my articles before, you know which one I’m talking about) that is already leading the way, in essence combating SCOTUS and their disastrous decision. Of course, I’m talking about the Lone Star State.

In a directive issued in the last few hours, Texas Governor Gregg Abbott has informed all those agencies that they are to comply with the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, Article I of the Texas Constitution, and the Texas Religious Freedom Act. In other words, he just shut down same-sex marriage in Texas and ordered everyone to preserve the religious liberties and First Amendment rights of all Texans.

Read it here:

“Texans of all faiths must be absolutely secure in the knowledge that their religious freedom is beyond the reach of government,” Governor Abbott wrote in the memorandum obtained by Breitbart Texas. “Renewing and reinforcing that promise is all the more important in light of the Supreme Court’s decision in Obergefell v. Hodges. The government must never pressure a person to abandon or violate his or her sincerely held religious beliefs regarding a topic such as marriage. That sort of religious coercion will never be a ‘compelling governmental interest,’ and it will never be ‘the least restrictive means of furthering that interest.’”

“With these obligations in mind,” Abbott continued, “I expect all agencies under my direction to prioritize compliance with the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, Article I of the Texas Constitution, and the Texas Religious Freedom Restoration Act. All state agency heads should ensure that no one acting on behalf of their agency takes any adverse action against any person, as defined in Chapter 311 of the Texas Government Code, on account of the person’s act or refusal to act that is substantially motivated by sincere religious belief. This order applies to any agency decision, including but not limited to granting or denying benefits, managing agency employees, entering or enforcing agency contracts, licensing and permitting decisions, or enforcing state laws and regulations.”

Governor of Texas Just Said What He s Doing After Gay Marriage Ruling It s HARDCORE

It's done and over , it is the law of the United States

Read it here:

Any state official that refuses to issue a marriage license based on their personal religious beliefs will run headlong into the constitution. As a state worker, you represent the State. And there is no State exemption from the constitution based on the State's religious beliefs.

Texas will lose, as it always does.

Redeclare the republic of Texas and secede!!!! Anything else is not enough and won't work.

Close Matthew we can organize a Constitutional branch of legal redress
that mediates and separates funding where there are different political beliefs protected equally by law.

We can keep these issues addressed on a level that respect all views so solutions can be found.
We can separate those, and separate groups by party beliefs to fund their own programs,
and keep the people, city and states united. Separate partisan beliefs from govt,
the same religion is separate from govt, and we can still be one diverse nation without having to physically divorce.

As a prochoice Democrat, I would support separating party policies similar to religions.
And not abuse govt to impose or establish one over any other, but give all citizens equal access to
the options of their free choice.

Not all views are equally valid constitutionally. Your argument ignores this. The law doesn't.

So a bunch of conservatives just say hell yeah Texas when the reality is they are still required to give out marriage license to Gay couples. Stupid people

Read it here:

Any state official that refuses to issue a marriage license based on their personal religious beliefs will run headlong into the constitution. As a state worker, you represent the State. And there is no State exemption from the constitution based on the State's religious beliefs.

Texas will lose, as it always does.
Services rendered to a citizen cannot be based on a clerk determining that the citizen is palatable religiously.

Do 'conservatives' not understand equal protection?

Texas already knows what it is like getting into a fight you MIGHT lose. They have a monument to it. Sometimes the stand is more important then a win or loss. BECAUSE it is the stand that measures the person.

Yeah, but the folks in the Alamo didn't fight so they could deny someone else fundamental civil rights.

Read it here:

It's done and over , it is the law of the United States

The Constitution is the law of the land
and Natural Laws are the law of humanity.

guno you cannot legislate changes to people's beliefs by a court ruling.
People will still believe as they do, and defend that by natural laws
in the First and Fourteenth Amendment protecting beliefs EQUALLY.

so you will still see people defending their BELIEFS who will not consent to govt dictating that.
sorry but the higher laws of humanity include free will and faith that is based on free choice not coercion.
And certainly not dictating people's beliefs by govt authority
which violates constitutional laws based on universal principles of human nature.

the higher laws will motivate greater political change
to resolve the real issues this ruling did not address.

Forum List

Back