Testing for all Babyboomer's

There are 78 million boomers and 3% of them have the disease.
What grips me is that they singled out this population. The thing they said about, you may not even remember, if you might have experimented with just one drug injection. Totally insulting in my view. It smacks you in the face, it gives the assumption, that all boomers used or at least experimented with hard drugs. We didn't.
It's rather insulting,when so many younger than us, have many more tattoos and piercings than the boomer's and much more who have done or does do illegal dugs with needles.
Why didn't they just say, all who have done or maybe have done, any of said listings, should get tested,not just single out boomers.

Because the government wants baby boomers to die??? :eek:

Dead baby boomers would make it easier on the social security system.
So why then are they asking them to be tested for a disease that can be cured before it goes too far?

I don't think that Hepatitis C is curable once it's contracted. It can be contained to a point, but that doesn't mean you won't fall from it.

Seems to me that it would be more reasonable to say, if you have done or think you have been exposed to it you need to get tested.
Requiring all babyboomers to me, is accusing all of us of having done any of things mentioned.
What really was insulting is that they think you might not remember ever having experimented with drugs or a needle.
3% of boomers out of 78 million.
I think the majority of us did none of things mentioned and that is why the majority of us don't have it.

:rolleyes:

It isn't required, merely recommended. If this had happened under Bush I'm sure you would have been first in line.

No way !
It is still insulting no matter who the president was or is.

I do not understand what you find insulting about taking a test to make certain you do not have a disease that could kill you if not treated. Many people got Hep C from being accidentally stuck with needles in hospitals. These things do happen and people forget about them. My stupid kid had a needle in a garbage bag a long time ago, and I got stuck by it. It was just a needle he had found on the street and thrown in the garbage. I was later tested just to make sure and I was not infected with anything. Knowing that makes me feel better. I don't understand why anyone would not want to be sure.

In the end it is a numbers game, because there are people out there who have Hep C and do not know it. The only way to find them and cure them is through blanket testing.

The Center for Disease Control wants all baby boomer's to get tested for hepatitis C.
What gets me is they are assuming that all of us experimented with drug needles at least once during our life and then suggest that we don't remember it.
One in thirty have the virus, yet they want insurance companies to pay for the test to all 78 million of us.

Facts on how you may have gotten it:

People who are at risk for hepatitis C include:

Peopleborn between 1945 and 1965.
People who had blood transfusions or organ transplants before 1992.
People with tattoos or body piercings.
People who used intravenous drugs, even once.
People who work in a health care setting.
People with HIV.

Seems to me if you never did any of the above, chances are slim to none, that you are not infected and you are one of the 29 who don't have it.
It's the assumption that all baby boomer's fit into this category that really pisses me off.

Not all baby boomer's did needles, not all baby boomer's did piercings or tattoos.

Most women have pierced ears. That is considered a 'body" piercing.
Most people have visited a hospital.... slim chance...but still a risk.
When you have sex with someone.. you are also having sex with every single person they ever slept with and so on and so on....

The important thing is.... most people interact with other people who have one or all of the risk factors. Even if you yourself have none of the risk factors.... you do interact with them... and that is a risk.

But everyone does those things, not just Baby Boomers. So why isn't everyone being told they should get tested?

Because baby boomers were exposed to unsafe blood in hospitals and Hep C has a higher prevalence among baby boomers for this reason. Young people are not as likely to be exposed through the blood supply as it is now tested for Hep C. Also, because Hep C takes years to do damage, many who have Hep C are only now beginning to show any signs of it.

So why then are they asking them to be tested for a disease that can be cured before it goes too far?

I don't think that Hepatitis C is curable once it's contracted. It can be contained to a point, but that doesn't mean you won't fall from it.
According to the article I linked, there are new drugs that can be used for a cure.

When you have sex with someone.. you are also having sex with every single person they ever slept with and so on and so on....

The important thing is.... most people interact with other people who have one or all of the risk factors. Even if you yourself have none of the risk factors.... you do interact with them... and that is a risk.

But everyone does those things, not just Baby Boomers. So why isn't everyone being told they should get tested?

Because baby boomers were exposed to unsafe blood in hospitals and Hep C has a higher prevalence among baby boomers for this reason. Young people are not as likely to be exposed through the blood supply as it is now tested for Hep C. Also, because Hep C takes years to do damage, many who have Hep C are only now beginning to show any signs of it.

Not until July 1992 did a test exist to test blood for hepatitis C. So it seems to me that anyone alive before 1992 should be tested, if we go by your reasoning.

I've never received blood at all.

Also, why wait years before testing people? Why not nip it in the bud early?

Everyone born up until July 1992 should be tested, don't you think?

Because the government wants baby boomers to die??? :eek:

Because when you go in to get tested for hepatits C they're actually going to do something else to you. Something that will lessen the odds of you being a burden on the social security system.

(play scary music now)

It wasn't that many who had blood transfusions. That is why it is found in only 1 out of 30

You get it through blood contact (one who has it, and you have broken skin,like a scratch or cut) and the risk with sex is very slim to none, according to the report.

Because when you go in to get tested for hepatits C they're actually going to do something else to you. Something that will lessen the odds of you being a burden on the social security system.

(play scary music now)

:lmao:

The Center for Disease Control wants all baby boomer's to get tested for hepatitis C.
What gets me is they are assuming that all of us experimented with drug needles at least once during our life and then suggest that we don't remember it.
One in thirty have the virus, yet they want insurance companies to pay for the test to all 78 million of us.

Facts on how you may have gotten it:

People who are at risk for hepatitis C include:

Peopleborn between 1945 and 1965.
People who had blood transfusions or organ transplants before 1992.
People with tattoos or body piercings.
People who used intravenous drugs, even once.
People who work in a health care setting.
People with HIV.

Seems to me if you never did any of the above, chances are slim to none, that you are not infected and you are one of the 29 who don't have it.
It's the assumption that all baby boomer's fit into this category that really pisses me off.

Not all baby boomer's did needles, not all baby boomer's did piercings or tattoos.

I saw her video and had to write her a love song

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKWgciusU6c]I need Anita Hit...Id hit it - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
What grips me is that they singled out this population. The thing they said about, you may not even remember, if you might have experimented with just one drug injection. Totally insulting in my view. It smacks you in the face, it gives the assumption, that all boomers used or at least experimented with hard drugs. We didn't.
It's rather insulting,when so many younger than us, have many more tattoos and piercings than the boomer's and much more who have done or does do illegal dugs with needles.
Why didn't they just say, all who have done or maybe have done, any of said listings, should get tested,not just single out boomers.

It's about the Vaccines, not drug use.

According to the article I linked, there are new drugs that can be used for a cure.

I wish they had it a couple of years ago. I lost a friend who battled it for 12 years, he had 2 liver transplants and numerous kidney transplants. It was a slow death for him...he was down to 80# when his heart had failed him finally.

It's the way they wrote it.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is calling for all baby boomers to get a blood test for hepatitis C, the AP reports.

This includes everyone born between 1945 and 1965.

According to the CDC, more than 2 million baby boomers are infected with the contagious liver disease, which is commonly spread through sharing needles.

I wish they had it a couple of years ago. I lost a friend who battled it for 12 years, he had 2 liver transplants and numerous kidney transplants. It was a slow death for him...he was down to 80# when his heart had failed him finally.
Yeah, and thanks to the CDC's guidelines, a portion of the population may be spared from that agony. Unless of course they are stupid enough to be insulted and not get tested.

Yeah, and thanks to the CDC's guidelines, a portion of the population may be spared from that agony. Unless of course they are stupid enough to be insulted and not get tested.

Tell me where I said I will never get tested?

It's the way they wrote it.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is calling for all baby boomers to get a blood test for hepatitis C, the AP reports.

This includes everyone born between 1945 and 1965.

According to the CDC, more than 2 million baby boomers are infected with the contagious liver disease, which is commonly spread through sharing needles.

Yep. Remember those Polio Vaccines, back then?

Forum List

Back