Testimony of What the Left Believes...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by PoliticalChic, Jul 25, 2012.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,989
    It is more than passing interesting to plumb the depths, the thinking of those with whom we debate....

Sometimes the testimony is from the Right, which opens it up to obvious debate.

But it is pure gold to see the statements from an inveterate 'leftie' who gives his views of 'the other side.'

First, here is a statement from the Right:

1. The American left hates the America that believes in American exceptionalism, is prepared to use force to fight what it deems as dangerous evil, affirms the Judeo-Christian value system, believes in the death penalty, supports male-female marriage, rejects big government, wants lower taxes, prefers free market to governmental solutions, etc. The American left, like the rest of the world's left, loathes that America.

2. So what America does the American Left love? That is for those on the left to answer. But given their beliefs that America was founded by racists and slaveholders, that it is an imperialist nation, that 35 million Americans go hungry, that it invades countries for corporate profits, and that it is largely racist and xenophobic, it is a fair question. The World Doesn't Hate America, the Left Does - Dennis Prager - [page]

Now, from a piece by the New Yorker's John Cassidy, describing what he sees as 'the craziness' of Right-wing Americans.., establishing the proof for what Prager writes.

"Are firearms the only subject on which Americans are, let us say, a little batty?

Not all Americans subscribe to them, of course. In some instances, the true believers may amount to a small but vocal minority. Still, the popular sentiment underlying these statements is so strong that politicians defy it at their peril.

1. Gun laws and gun deaths are unconnected.
    2. Private enterprise is good; public enterprise is bad.
    3. God created America and gave it a special purpose.
    4. Our health-care system is the best there is.
    5. The Founding Fathers were saintly figures who established liberty and democracy for everyone.
    6. America is the greatest country in the world.
    7. Tax rates are too high.
    8. America is a peace-loving nation: the reason it gets involved in so many wars is that foreigners keep attacking us.
    9. Cheap energy, gasoline especially, is our birthright.
    10. Everybody else wishes they were American.

...the point here: it is whether or not certain beliefs are amenable to reason. I don’t think these are, which is what puts them in the category of irrationality, flakiness, nonsense, nuttiness, absurdity, craziness…."
    Is America Crazy? Ten Reasons it Might Be : The New Yorker

If it is not evident to you lefties what the point is, reverse each of the ten statements and you have the catechism of the Left.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I'm not sure if America is crazy...but you are putting in a pretty good showing for yourself.

I love the way we throw a blanket on each other just for shits and giggles. I've seen it happen on both sides and the reason seems to be that some asshole just wants to be mean and miserable to their fellow Americans.

If you think you're really making a value point here....Your fucking nuts. If your just trying to be an asshole....congratulations....you've succeeded.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Listening

Listening Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,044
    Well, this was frustrating.

The left has a list (a legitimate list) just like this. If those who are not super extremist whackos can get away from the extremist whackos there might be a good conversation.

However, those lists are pretty much describe the kinds of conflicts that are in the public arena right now.

What is more important is the methodology of those who promote the whackiness....we never talk about that....and we never discuss what societal goals are.

If you have that discussion......a lot of what you need to work out is resolved.

4. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,683
    Another great post from Political Chick!

5. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,989

1. What's strange here is that I kind of agree with the essence of your post....but if I had written it, the language would have been more....restrained.

But let me walk you through this, as it seems that you have missed the point by quite a margin....

2. "I love the way we throw a blanket on each other ... to be mean and miserable to their fellow Americans."

Do you know who John Cassidy is?
    Is he from my side of the aisle?

Let's see: "... John Cassidy, part of the left-wing stable at the New Yorker,..."
    John Cassidy on ObamaCare - WSJ.com

See where I'm going with this?
    Which side painted Americans as as suffering from " irrationality, flakiness, nonsense, nuttiness, absurdity, craziness…."?
    Especially Americans who believe in our exceptionalism?

3. So...the vituperation?
    For revealing this gratuitous attack from the Left?
    Blaming me for not turning the other cheek?
    Really?

4. BTW....do you want to defend Cassidy?
    Or argue that my precis about the beliefs of the Left is incorrect?
    No, huh.

I'll be here when you're ready to apologize.

And I like the fact that you think it would be nice if the nation were less polarized.

6. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    Americans by and large aren't nutty, crazy or derranged...just those on both sides that live and breathe politics and try to shape policy(ies). Average Americans don't awaken until close to an election cycle because they are busy maintaining families, jobs and businesses.

Average Americans just want to be left alone to thier own devices and Do become active when common sense no longer makes sense and has become a roadblock.

Good Thread as usual Political Chic...YOU are our 'Michele Malkin' of USMB in my mind.

Good job. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  7. RDD_1210

RDD_1210 Forms his own opinions

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Serious question. Are you related to ChessWarNow? It seems you both love making numbered lists in every one of your posts.

8. The T

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,502

Does it bother you or are you just being the ASS that you are? Don't like it? Move on.:eusa_hand:

9. francoHFW

francoHFW Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,624
    Distracted by hater BS, the dupes fight for the freedom to continue to be absolutely screwed by the greedy rich. Thanks for the depression and total obstruction, the lies and fear mongering. See sig. Change the channel.

10. The T

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    This message is hidden because francoHFW is on your ignore list.