Test your civil liberties credentials

I have mixed feelings about guns, Quantum Windbag. I'll admit that. But after the recent SCOTUS decision on the 2nd Amendment, I think all debate is over, the NRA won, and we should all move on. That said, I cannot compare Rosa Parks sitting in a bus seat to this man trying to bring a gun inside a building where a court is held.

So with all my bias hanging out, lemme say, I just don't think what this guy did was correct. There does not need to be a right to carry a concealed weapon inside a court building....if that gives you heartburn, so be it.

But, if the right exists like it does in MN, shouldn't a person be able to exercise it without getting arrested?

Let's get it straight that you have no right to carry a firearm into a courthouse. If you did, then states like AR couldn't make it illegal.

You are so wrong it hurts. A State can make it legal or illegal. The State in question MADE it legal under specific conditions. And he is being processed under State law. A State law that ALLOWED him the right to carry if he met specific conditions. If the Sheriff is going to testify that shoots the whole case to shit.

STATE LAW is different in all 50 States.

I have mixed feelings about guns, Quantum Windbag. I'll admit that. But after the recent SCOTUS decision on the 2nd Amendment, I think all debate is over, the NRA won, and we should all move on. That said, I cannot compare Rosa Parks sitting in a bus seat to this man trying to bring a gun inside a building where a court is held.

So with all my bias hanging out, lemme say, I just don't think what this guy did was correct. There does not need to be a right to carry a concealed weapon inside a court building....if that gives you heartburn, so be it.

But, if the right exists like it does in MN, shouldn't a person be able to exercise it without getting arrested?

Let's get it straight that you have no right to carry a firearm into a courthouse. If you did, then states like AR couldn't make it illegal.

Wow. A person who believes in states rights does not really understand the concept. No wonder some liberals have trouble with the concept.

We do not have a right under COTUS, but states are free to give more rights to its citizens. In MN a person who has a concealed carry license can carry in a courthouse as long as they notify the sheriff. That makes carrying a legal right in that state, even if it is not in Arkansas.

Quantum Windbag wrote:

Let's assume that this is true. You and I both know, when the law was written the threat of courthouse violence was likely unheard of. It is also possible that changes to other laws, especially to the concealed carry laws, have impacted this without the legislature making the whole body of the law seamless.

It's a clash between reality and the letter of the law, Quantum Windbag. These things happen, as practices morph into and out of actual human experience. I'm saying the man who wanted to know the scope of his legal rights had nonviolent, nonthreatening, perfectly legal options to discover them and that a mature, responsible citizen would use them.

People keep talking about courthouse violence like that somehow trumps common sense. How many instances of courthouse violence have been perpetrated by law abiding citizens with concealed carry permits?

Quantum Windbag wrote:

Let's assume that this is true. You and I both know, when the law was written the threat of courthouse violence was likely unheard of. It is also possible that changes to other laws, especially to the concealed carry laws, have impacted this without the legislature making the whole body of the law seamless.

It's a clash between reality and the letter of the law, Quantum Windbag. These things happen, as practices morph into and out of actual human experience. I'm saying the man who wanted to know the scope of his legal rights had nonviolent, nonthreatening, perfectly legal options to discover them and that a mature, responsible citizen would use them.

People keep talking about courthouse violence like that somehow trumps common sense. How many instances of courthouse violence have been perpetrated by law abiding citizens with concealed carry permits?

No acts of violence are perpetrated by law abiding citizens by definition, Quantum Windbag.

Are you asking me if preventing weapons from entering the building enhances courthouse security?

Yes.

It'd be more productive to discuss what this man should have done, donca think?

No acts of violence are perpetrated by law abiding citizens by definition, Quantum Windbag.

Are you asking me if preventing weapons from entering the building enhances courthouse security?

Yes.

It'd be more productive to discuss what this man should have done, donca think?

Yet you, and others, keep bringing up courthouse security as the prevailing topic. I am confused as to why that is even an issue, since what really matters is what this guy did, or even, as you pointed out, what he should have done.

Wow. A person who believes in states rights does not really understand the concept. No wonder some liberals have trouble with the concept.

We do not have a right under COTUS, but states are free to give more rights to its citizens. In MN a person who has a concealed carry license can carry in a courthouse as long as they notify the sheriff. That makes carrying a legal right in that state, even if it is not in Arkansas.

First of all, rights aren't given by any government, be they local/state/or federal. Secondly , states may not counter federal law claiming their citizens have a right. It's the whole 10th Amendment thing. I understand that state law in AR does not apply to MN. But FEDERAL law would . IMHO a federal law should prohibit anyone from entering any government building with a weapon.

First of all, rights aren't given by any government, be they local/state/or federal. Secondly , states may not counter federal law claiming their citizens have a right. It's the whole 10th Amendment thing. I understand that state law in AR does not apply to MN. But FEDERAL law would . IMHO a federal law should prohibit anyone from entering any government building with a weapon.

You got the first part right, but they are curtailed by governments. Federal law curtails gun rights more than some states, and less than others. Second, there is no constitutional federal law that restricts carrying guns anywhere. US v Lopez ruled the Gun Free School Zones Act unconstitutional because Congress does not have an unlimited powers under the commerce clause.

That means that any federal law about carrying in a courthouse applies only to federal courthouse, not state or municipal courts. Since federal law cannot properly constrain a persons right to carry in a courthouse, states are free to legislate that themselves.

The law does not have any legitimay, therefore there is no Truth-based reason to suggest that there is any justification for society to take any action againstthis man.

Not a courthouse, but in a building where CCW is prohibited:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-X2w0Pn09k[/ame]

Left wing, radical-fringe hostage-taker

Not a courthouse, but in a building where CCW is prohibited:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-X2w0Pn09k

Left wing, radical-fringe hostage-taker
Sounds more like one of yours:

"My testament: Some people (the government sponsored media) will say I was evil, a monster (V) ... no ... I was just born poor in a country where the Wealthy manipulate, use, abuse, and economically enslave 95 percent of the population. Rich Republicans, Rich Democrats ... same-same ... rich ... they take turns fleecing us ... our few dollars ... pyramiding the wealth for themselves."
Panama City shooter had Tampa ties - St. Petersburg Times

Does it really matter which extreme of the political spectrum this man belongs to?

Of course it doesn't, the guy was crazy. What does pertain to this thread though is that guy did not have a concealed carry permit, which again proves my point. The problem is not the people who have permission to carry, and they should not be treated like criminals.

Does it really matter which extreme of the political spectrum this man belongs to?

Of course it doesn't, the guy was crazy. What does pertain to this thread though is that guy did not have a concealed carry permit, which again proves my point. The problem is not the people who have permission to carry, and they should not be treated like criminals.

Quantum Windbag, a concealed carry permit only means a criminal background check has been done and a rudimentary firearms course completed, at least here in Ohio. That is no guarantee against violence and the need for reasonable time and place restrictions on weapons seems fairly obvious to me.

Is it your contention that everyone who legally has a carry permit will never commit a crime or a violent act? I could EASILY prove that wrong.

Quantum Windbag, a concealed carry permit only means a criminal background check has been done and a rudimentary firearms course completed, at least here in Ohio. That is no guarantee against violence and the need for reasonable time and place restrictions on weapons seems fairly obvious to me.

Please point out the massive crime wave from people with concealed weapons. I seem to recall talk of police being gunned down during traffic stops in Florida from people with a carry permit when Florida passed the law allowing people to have weapons in their car without going through a background check. That didn't happen either.

The problem is not the citizens who own, or carry, weapons, it is the criminals. Putting more restrictions on them only helps the criminals.

Is it your contention that everyone who legally has a carry permit will never commit a crime or a violent act? I could EASILY prove that wrong.

Where the fuck did I say that? I will, however, argue that you are more likely to get shot by a cop than you are a person with a carry permit.

Where the fuck did I say that? I will, however, argue that you are more likely to get shot by a cop than you are a person with a carry permit.

And I would argue that you better bring some sort of facts to back that ridiculous claim up.

From a personal perspective, I was shot 2 years ago, by a meth head who had a carry permit. I've never been shot by a cop.

Have you been shot by a cop? Anyone you know been shot by a cop?

And I would argue that you better bring some sort of facts to back that ridiculous claim up.

From a personal perspective, I was shot 2 years ago, by a meth head who had a carry permit. I've never been shot by a cop.

Tell your sad story about meth heads to this guy.

Man killed by Long Beach police was holding a water nozzle, not a gun, police say - latimes.com

the simple fact is more people are shot by police each year than by people with carry permits. If it didn't work that way everyone would be yelling about the massive amounts of deaths each year from people with carry permits. After all, about 600 people are killed by police every year.

Shots Fired! A special PoliceOne series

Tell your sad story about meth heads to this guy.

Man killed by Long Beach police was holding a water nozzle, not a gun, police say - latimes.com

the simple fact is more people are shot by police each year than by people with carry permits. If it didn't work that way everyone would be yelling about the massive amounts of deaths each year from people with carry permits. After all, about 600 people are killed by police every year.

Shots Fired! A special PoliceOne series

My "sad story" was two things.

1. Me telling you that while I have actual practical experience in the field, you have nothing but your usual bluster and feelings of self import.

2. Me relating to you an actual example of someone being shot by a person who was licensed to carry a weapon.

By the way jackass, comparing the number of people shot and or killed by people who have CCWs to the number of people shot and or killed by LEO is ridiculous. A more fair comparison would be comparing the number of people maliciously killed by people who have CCWs to the number of people maliciously shot or killed by LEO.

The problem with these examples is do we really know what happened, did it happen as detailed in the OP. I notice quite often, people lie, exaggerate, omit and often deceive. seems pretty common and then often you hear one side and that side favors that side.

"Where there is no law, but every man does what is right in his own eyes, there is the least of real liberty." Henry M. Robert

Forum List

Back