Tesla Model S Hits the Roads With Great Success!!!

It does matter. The first computers took up an entire room. I believe it was like that for a few decades. They were ubber expensive, inefficient, uneffective and were not available to the general public. Technology got better and we have most households have at least one computer.

Eventually the same thing with happen with the electric car.

No it won't because the physics of each have nothing in common. Seeing as you don't understand that there's no point in discussing it.

Why do people always need reminding about the first cell phones and computers. Both were "rich man's toys," both were said they were never be affordable to the general public and both were around a long time before they were made affordable and mainstream.

Umm it has nothing to do with mainstream or afforability. If one came along that could meet the public's needs they would sell millions of them.

So they meet 75% of the public's needs, but the public isn't comfortable with them, and only buys thousands a month (between the Volt, C-Max, Leaf, etc etc).

But things are changing, and that is good.

Oil is failing to deliver more energy to the consumer or economy. Increased production is outstripped by decreasing oil energy returned on energy invested resulting in decreasing net oil energy. We also have increased demand from developing countries & population growth. The result has been a 40 year decline in oil energy per capita & now declining total oil energy output. The only way to grow energy & the economy is to get it from other sources. Net oil energy is falling & oil is failing us. We will have to adapt to maintain our lifestyle or grow.

us-per-capita-barrels-of-oil-consumed-r.png

World+Oil+Consumption+Per+Capita-Downey-Oil+101.png

Tesla Motors (TSLA) shares have nearly tripled in the last 6 months. Tesla reported better-than-expected first quarter earnings of $15 million, or 12 cents per share, as revenue climbed to $561.8 million. The company topped Wall Street estimates on both the top and bottom line in the first quarter, as well as surpassing its own guidance for vehicles delivered.

When you buy a Tesla you get lifetime battery warranty, lifetime free recharging on a network superchargers, free better loaner car valet to your location for warranty or service work. This will save you save $40k+ on gas alone.

Tesla makes a good car. The problem is when you go on road trips.
Still takes too long to charge the battery to make it practical, and the range for one charge is still not enough to get from Miami to Orlando.
Back to the drawing board
Your Questions Answered | Tesla Motors

Still takes too long to charge the battery to make it practical, and the range for one charge is still not enough to get from Miami to Orlando.

25 minute charge every 150 miles. It's only 235 miles from Miami to Orlando so 1 pit stop is normal. You will stop in 2-1/2 hours or 150 miles to eat, drink or piss so why not charge up the car for free? Burning natural gas at a power plant to make electricity to charge the Tesla is far more efficient than burning natural gas in your car to go the same distance. Same with coal & other forms of energy.

Last edited:
Why do people always need reminding about the first cell phones and computers. Both were "rich man's toys," both were said they were never be affordable to the general public and both were around a long time before they were made affordable and mainstream.

Umm it has nothing to do with mainstream or afforability. If one came along that could meet the public's needs they would sell millions of them.

So they meet 75% of the public's needs, but the public isn't comfortable with them, and only buys thousands a month (between the Volt, C-Max, Leaf, etc etc).

I don't know why people continue to put the Volt in the same category. It just isn't. It's a hybrid. An extremely efficient hybrid that may not require a whole lot of fuel, but it is a hybrid.

Somewhat, but not quite. Top line is 300 miles at 55 mph, so say they over-estimate it at 250 miles. A 13 gallon car at 20 mpg = 260. So that is in line with gas cars. Of course the refueling is the issue. 1 hour and 6 minutes is a long time to recharge for most (not when you park your car at home though.

Again it's first generation. Wait for the breakthrough. I see this happening:
2nd Generation:
(1) More affordable, but not mainstream at $35k-$50K.
(2) Greater Range: 350-375 mpg
(3) Quicker Refuel: 30 mins
(4) Electric fuel stations at many gas stations.

3rd Generation (break through)
(1) Mainstream price ($15K Low end - $50K Luxury)
(2) Greater range (400-500 mpg, with larger cars with less range)
(3) Rapid Refill at "Energy Stations" (5-10 mins)
(4) Energy stations pop up selling both gas and energy.

I don't know why people continue to put the Volt in the same category. It just isn't. It's a hybrid. An extremely efficient hybrid that may not require a whole lot of fuel, but it is a hybrid.

Cool. It is a hybrid. Which I can use like an EV for a month. And then like a normal car for a trip cross country. Sounds like the best of both worlds to me. Long live hybrids!

Somewhat, but not quite. Top line is 300 miles at 55 mph, so say they over-estimate it at 250 miles. A 13 gallon car at 20 mpg = 260. So that is in line with gas cars. Of course the refueling is the issue. 1 hour and 6 minutes is a long time to recharge for most (not when you park your car at home though.

2nd Generation:

Refueling is a major issue on Road Trips. Once they have that problem solved and a recharge takes the same amount of time to refuel you car they have over come a major obstacle. I just think that is going to take quite a while. In the mean time, electric cars are confined for use in the city and on golf courses.

2nd Generation:

Quicker refuel isn't likely.

One huge problem is that even with the fast charger we have today, they are very hard on the batteries. So you wouldn't want to use the quick charger unless you have to.

But in a country where most families own more than one car, what is wrong with having an electric commuter and use the other car for trips?

2nd Generation:

Refueling is a major issue on Road Trips. Once they have that problem solved and a recharge takes the same amount of time to refuel you car they have over come a major obstacle. I just think that is going to take quite a while. In the mean time, electric cars are confined for use in the city and on golf courses.

Price is an issue also. You could solve refueling and range, but if price doesn't come down it will be an issue. However, the Model S is a step in the RIGHT direction. When the Model X comes out, the revolution will be in full effect. Call that Gen 2. I heard the Ford all electric is amazing. The Leaf II will be work on many of the kinks. Hopefully the Volvo drops the gas engine and goes all electric. Serving two gods turned out to be too much an issue. Chrysler is rolling out one. BMW, Audi, Toyota, Mitsubshi etc are all rolling on ones. Within 10 years all new cars will be electric!

2nd Generation:

Price is an issue also. You could solve refueling and range, but if price doesn't come down it will be an issue. However, the Model S is a step in the RIGHT direction. When the Model X comes out, the revolution will be in full effect. Call that Gen 2. I heard the Ford all electric is amazing. The Leaf II will be work on many of the kinks. Hopefully the Volvo drops the gas engine and goes all electric. Serving two gods turned out to be too much an issue. Chrysler is rolling out one. BMW, Audi, Toyota, Mitsubshi etc are all rolling on ones. Within 10 years all new cars will be electric!

I am no luddite. I love technology and have been supportive of electric technology. But I sure as hell hope you are wrong.

I'm not terribly worried about it. Switching to all electric new models is not going to happen in 20 years, say nothing about 10. We have zero infrastructure for it, and there are still way too many Americans not in a position to use electrics.

I suspect electrics will stick around as a nitch. Maybe 5% of sales in 10 years for those willing to live with them for commuting. Maybe 10 or 15% in 25 years.

Hybrids I see being the true future. If someone can design and build a Volt style car that could be priced more in line with the Prius, we would see them fly off lots all over the country.

2nd Generation:

I remember reading a proposal a while back for an industry standard system where you pull into a service station and your batteries get swapped out for some charged units.
Seems too simple really.

Really think so?
That would call for all the car companies to come up with a "one size fits" all battery size and configuration. You think the same battery that is used in a Tesla can be used in a Leaf? Not going to happen anytime soon.

2nd Generation:

Quicker refuel isn't likely.

One huge problem is that even with the fast charger we have today, they are very hard on the batteries. So you wouldn't want to use the quick charger unless you have to.

But in a country where most families own more than one car, what is wrong with having an electric commuter and use the other car for trips?

What did they say a few decades ago about the cheap oil we are pulling out of the ground today? They knew where it was, but it was too expensive and hard to pull out of the ground with that times technology. Times changed and technology made pulling that oil out of the ground cheap and efficient.

Same thing will happen for the electric car. They have limited range today, refueling takes too much time and the cost of the car is astronomical. Like mining method technology will change that. Expect 300-400+ mpc and 5-10 min refueling stations within the next 10 years.

Forum List

Back