Terence Koh's statue of Christ

tigerbob

Increasingly jaded.
Oct 27, 2007
Michigan
The sculptor Terence Koh is currently exhibiting a statue of Christ at an art gallery in Britain. The statue shows Christ with an erection. The link below tells the story, but you'll have to google the statue yourself if you want to see it.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/visual_arts/article3137653.ece

I don't normally get particularly upset about the way in which people exploit Christianity for their own profit or to increase their media exposure. In some cases, I'm probably far less rabid than others. 3 years ago, I went to one of the early productions of 'Jerry Springer - The Opera'. A lot of Christians got all bent out of shape about that particular show, but I thought it was a hugely funny and brilliantly written piece of satire. God forbid Christians should have a sense of humor.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4161109.stm

But for some reason, I have a big problem with this statue.

I’ve already read articles that blather on about “If this we’re a statue of Mohammed there would be a fatwah calling for the murder of Mr Koh.” Well, it’s not a statue of Mohammad and Christianity doesn’t issue fatwahs so I’m not even going to dignify such predictable but ignorant comments with an answer.

Is it something to do with the fact that the sculptor is gay? I don’t think so.

I think it probably comes down to the fact that I believe the work is without merit. It adds nothing, but it does detract. It insults purely for the sake of being insulting, being controversial.

A statement by the art gallery reads "Koh is trying to explain all the things which have meant something to him. It is a sort of mausoleum".

So the exhibition is a "mausoleum" and the "explanation" is the erection. Maybe someone artistically-minded can explain that to me in a way that isn't complete bollocks.

I’ve already read articles that blather on about “If this we’re a statue of Mohammed there would be a fatwah calling for the murder of Mr Koh.” Well, it’s not a statue of Mohammad and Christianity doesn’t issue fatwahs so I’m not even going to dignify such predictable but ignorant comments with an answer.

But, isn't it very telling, and intrinsic upon our current times, that such a display does NOT invoke a similar christian response? Even if the artist was going for some other kind of shock value isn't is still MORE socially valuable as an example of the specific differences between christian reactions to slights of their faith compared to the radical nature of many muslim reactions? That, I would argue, is socially redeeming. Indeed, of course christians will take offense and the artist is hardly profound BUT the very comparative nature of this reaction versus the Death of Van Gogh is something to applaud about christianity and worth taking pride in if christian.

Maybe I'm wrong.

But, isn't it very telling, and intrinsic upon our current times, that such a display does NOT invoke a similar christian response? Even if the artist was going for some other kind of shock value isn't is still MORE socially valuable as an example of the specific differences between christian reactions to slights of their faith compared to the radical nature of many muslim reactions? That, I would argue, is socially redeeming. Indeed, of course christians will take offense and the artist is hardly profound BUT the very comparative nature of this reaction versus the Death of Van Gogh is something to applaud about christianity and worth taking pride in if christian.

Maybe I'm wrong.

No, I agree with you on that. And I suppose I am proud that most Christians are able to respond in the manner that they generally do. My point was more aimed at the minority who call themselves Christians but conveniently forget about the New Testament every time they get pissed at someone.

oh I diggit.. Certainly there is a strong vein of pseudo christians who identify with the club moreso than the message but, regarding this artist and his work, he probably proves more christian positives than he does christian agitation on par with viable examples of extremism.

The sculptor Terence Koh is currently exhibiting a statue of Christ at an art gallery in Britain. The statue shows Christ with an erection. The link below tells the story, but you'll have to google the statue yourself if you want to see it.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/visual_arts/article3137653.ece

I don't normally get particularly upset about the way in which people exploit Christianity for their own profit or to increase their media exposure. In some cases, I'm probably far less rabid than others. 3 years ago, I went to one of the early productions of 'Jerry Springer - The Opera'. A lot of Christians got all bent out of shape about that particular show, but I thought it was a hugely funny and brilliantly written piece of satire. God forbid Christians should have a sense of humor.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4161109.stm

But for some reason, I have a big problem with this statue.

Is it something to do with the fact that the sculptor is gay? I don’t think so.

I think it probably comes down to the fact that I believe the work is without merit. It adds nothing, but it does detract. It insults purely for the sake of being insulting, being controversial.

A statement by the art gallery reads "Koh is trying to explain all the things which have meant something to him. It is a sort of mausoleum".

So the exhibition is a "mausoleum" and the "explanation" is the erection. Maybe someone artistically-minded can explain that to me in a way that isn't complete bollocks.

Possible Interpretation: Jesus Christ, though the son of God, was a human being in the flesh. An errection, as perverse as one may deem it to be, represents Christ's status as a man subject to natural urges.

Possible Interpretation: Jesus Christ, though the son of God, was a human being in the flesh. An errection, as perverse as one may deem it to be, represents Christ's status as a man subject to natural urges.

That is what an art person would say, but for any person there is an area of the sacred and the profane that usually stays separated. It should stay separated as there is also respect that is a component of a tolerant society. I disagree with Allah misrepresentations as well as any other icon considered sacred by some. I disagree that the fanaticism of Christians differs from Muslims. Consider the murdered abortion doctors or the protests at burial sites or the possibility that this could never be displayed in this country?

That is what an art person would say, but for any person there is an area of the sacred and the profane that usually stays separated. It should stay separated as there is also respect that is a component of a tolerant society. I disagree with Allah misrepresentations as well as any other icon considered sacred by some. I disagree that the fanaticism of Christians differs from Muslims. Consider the murdered abortion doctors or the protests at burial sites or the possibility that this could never be displayed in this country?

Absolute hogwash, worse then that HAS been shown IN this country. And last I checked only a couple doctors have ever been murdered AND when they were the Christian religions DENOUNCED the action. Remind me of the last time that happened with main stream Muslim sects?

Remind me of the riots that killed hundreds because of some words spoken about God or Jesus? Remind me of the burned consulates and the need to send troops to protect your citizens because of a picture of Christ or God?

They are NO where near the same. And your claiming they are is a ruse or stupidity. Personally on this issue I think your just ignorant. But then that would be true of several other liberals on this board and across the Country. So I guess you think your in good company.

Nice cop out... But he did it to offend... There is no other reason...

Horsecrap. How many abortion doctors have been murdered? How many clinics bombed? In comparison to the total number of Christians in the US?

Christians don't claim them, nor that moron Fred Phelps. And before you try making the argument they claim to be Chrsitians ask yourself are their actions Christian or even an attempt to be?

No, they aren't.

There's no artistic value to a statue of a man with an erection. It's purpose is to shock and/or offend, and no amount of smoke being blown changes that.

thats the exact same arguement used against city lights bookstore.

You may not agree, but my above observation is a CLEAR and valid example of it's social value.

Horsecrap. How many abortion doctors have been murdered? How many clinics bombed? In comparison to the total number of Christians in the US?

Christians don't claim them, nor that moron Fred Phelps. And before you try making the argument they claim to be Chrsitians ask yourself are their actions Christian or even an attempt to be?

No, they aren't.

There's no artistic value to a statue of a man with an erection. It's purpose is to shock and/or offend, and no amount of smoke being blown changes that.

so....you do not believe that art is sometimes produced for the purpose of shocking and offending?

Is art only art if it elicits a response akin to "gee... them there flowers look purdy"?

"Guernica" by Pablo Picasso...or even "The Garden of Earthly Delights" by Hieronymus Bosch... hardly "purdy" by any stretch of the imagination....

Art shouldn't be naked either, dude.

200px-John_Ashcroft.jpg

American nation,
Please accept my humble apology on behalf of the entire state of Missouri for letting this dickweed have a hand in national politics.
Sincerely,
The Shogun

Religious intolerance is religious intolerance, call it what you like, but it is the same for many. That we don't have the same number of incidents is a good sign as it shows our more liberal secular society is more tolerant and also more likely to enforce laws that put the crackpots in jail. But Eric Robert Rudolph types are not an isolated example, they exist everywhere.

so....you do not believe that art is sometimes produced for the purpose of shocking and offending?

Is art only art if it elicits a response akin to "gee... them there flowers look purdy"?

"Guernica" by Pablo Picasso...or even "The Garden of Earthly Delights" by Hieronymus Bosch... hardly "purdy" by any stretch of the imagination....

What's artistic about shocking and offending? I think if the purpose is the latter, it really can't be much of the former since it is not driven by inner expression alone; rather, it's driven by a political desire to shock and offend.

Religious intolerance is religious intolerance, call it what you like, but it is the same for many. That we don't have the same number of incidents is a good sign as it shows our more liberal secular society is more tolerant and also more likely to enforce laws that put the crackpots in jail. But Eric Robert Rudolph types are not an isolated example, they exist everywhere.

GMAFB ... more secular liberal society. Pffft.

How about our society which is made up predominantly of Christians is tempered with moderation and even WE ostricize Christian fanatics.

Forum List

Back