Terence Koh's statue of Christ

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by tigerbob, Jan 6, 2008.

1. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    The sculptor Terence Koh is currently exhibiting a statue of Christ at an art gallery in Britain. The statue shows Christ with an erection. The link below tells the story, but you'll have to google the statue yourself if you want to see it.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/visual_arts/article3137653.ece

I don't normally get particularly upset about the way in which people exploit Christianity for their own profit or to increase their media exposure. In some cases, I'm probably far less rabid than others. 3 years ago, I went to one of the early productions of 'Jerry Springer - The Opera'. A lot of Christians got all bent out of shape about that particular show, but I thought it was a hugely funny and brilliantly written piece of satire. God forbid Christians should have a sense of humor.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4161109.stm

But for some reason, I have a big problem with this statue.

I’ve already read articles that blather on about “If this we’re a statue of Mohammed there would be a fatwah calling for the murder of Mr Koh.” Well, it’s not a statue of Mohammad and Christianity doesn’t issue fatwahs so I’m not even going to dignify such predictable but ignorant comments with an answer.

Is it something to do with the fact that the sculptor is gay? I don’t think so.

I think it probably comes down to the fact that I believe the work is without merit. It adds nothing, but it does detract. It insults purely for the sake of being insulting, being controversial.

A statement by the art gallery reads "Koh is trying to explain all the things which have meant something to him. It is a sort of mausoleum".

So the exhibition is a "mausoleum" and the "explanation" is the erection. Maybe someone artistically-minded can explain that to me in a way that isn't complete bollocks.

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,936
    Not to disappoint you BUT it IS because he is gay.

3. tigerbob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    I would agree, but the fact that he does the same with statues of Mickey Mouse and ET makes the gay explanation a bit too convenient, too facile.

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,936
    He has a problem.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. tigerbob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    :lol:

6. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    I’ve already read articles that blather on about “If this we’re a statue of Mohammed there would be a fatwah calling for the murder of Mr Koh.” Well, it’s not a statue of Mohammad and Christianity doesn’t issue fatwahs so I’m not even going to dignify such predictable but ignorant comments with an answer.

But, isn't it very telling, and intrinsic upon our current times, that such a display does NOT invoke a similar christian response? Even if the artist was going for some other kind of shock value isn't is still MORE socially valuable as an example of the specific differences between christian reactions to slights of their faith compared to the radical nature of many muslim reactions? That, I would argue, is socially redeeming. Indeed, of course christians will take offense and the artist is hardly profound BUT the very comparative nature of this reaction versus the Death of Van Gogh is something to applaud about christianity and worth taking pride in if christian.

Maybe I'm wrong.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. tigerbob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    No, I agree with you on that. And I suppose I am proud that most Christians are able to respond in the manner that they generally do. My point was more aimed at the minority who call themselves Christians but conveniently forget about the New Testament every time they get pissed at someone.

8. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    oh I diggit.. Certainly there is a strong vein of pseudo christians who identify with the club moreso than the message but, regarding this artist and his work, he probably proves more christian positives than he does christian agitation on par with viable examples of extremism.

9. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Possible Interpretation: Jesus Christ, though the son of God, was a human being in the flesh. An errection, as perverse as one may deem it to be, represents Christ's status as a man subject to natural urges.

10. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,295
    That is what an art person would say, but for any person there is an area of the sacred and the profane that usually stays separated. It should stay separated as there is also respect that is a component of a tolerant society. I disagree with Allah misrepresentations as well as any other icon considered sacred by some. I disagree that the fanaticism of Christians differs from Muslims. Consider the murdered abortion doctors or the protests at burial sites or the possibility that this could never be displayed in this country?