Ten Questions - Buddha - Buddhism

Marie888

† † †
Sep 28, 2010
Temporarily on earth †
Found this article and wonder if Buddhists have answers and how you would answer. I know they can't answer for Buddha himself specifically, but perhaps someone can answer in their understanding.

Ten Questions I'd Ask If I Could Interview Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha) Today
BUDDHISM - Questions I Would Ask Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha) - ChristianAnswers.Net

Question #3 & #9 would probably be my first questions on these if Buddha was still alive:

"If your teaching, which came on the scene in the sixth century B.C., alone represents truth and liberation--what provision was there for the millions who lived previous to the advent of your enlightenment and teaching? Why do you suppose that you, of all humankind, were the one to come on this insight when you did?"

How do we reconcile the Dalai Lama's observation that "Every human being has the potential to create happiness", with your own teaching that suffering is caused by desire? If one sets out to resist desire, why would one ever then entertain the desire for happiness, and thus work to create it?

Found this article and wonder if Buddhists have answers and how you would answer. I know they can't answer for Buddha himself specifically, but perhaps someone can answer in their understanding.

BUDDHISM - Questions I Would Ask Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha) - ChristianAnswers.Net

Question #3 & #9 would probably be my first questions on these if Buddha was still alive:

"If your teaching, which came on the scene in the sixth century B.C., alone represents truth and liberation--what provision was there for the millions who lived previous to the advent of your enlightenment and teaching? Why do you suppose that you, of all humankind, were the one to come on this insight when you did?"

How do we reconcile the Dalai Lama's observation that "Every human being has the potential to create happiness", with your own teaching that suffering is caused by desire? If one sets out to resist desire, why would one ever then entertain the desire for happiness, and thus work to create it?

First question. Prior to the life of Shakyamuni Buddha, the Buddha of our time, there were previous buddhas. Also, Buddhist teaching is that we have all had countless lifetimes. We will continue to incarnate in samsara until we are completely liberated. All beings will eventually be completely liberated.

Second question. The Dalai Lama says that every human being has the potential to create happiness. It is taught that suffering is created by grasping (desire). We want things and we don't always get what we want, so we suffer. We also get things we don't want and we suffer.

It's not that we try and resist attachment. As human beings, we can't help ourselves with that. What we can do is increase our love. For example, love is the wish for another to be happy. It is NOT the neurotic attachment of romantic love that holds that we love this person because he or she satisifies our needs. If we truly love someone, then we can let them go if someone else would make them happier.

It's a strong practice. Human beings are a mix of qualites, some love and some attachment.

The second question is easier to clarify.

Buddha's teachings are not about rejecting desire, but not becoming attached to FALSE material desire as in "coveting" that which is not naturally ours. This is similar to Christian teachings about not being of the world, not clinging to material rewards or wealth to the point we lose our spiritual peace and life. He who gives up his life shall find it, he who clings to it shall lose it.

If Buddha were teaching to "strive" to avoid desire, that would contradict Buddha's teachings against striving! The middle way is about letting go, neither clinging or seeking extreme happiness that becomes out of balance and unnatural, nor seeking extreme suffering or avoidance of happiness to prevent forming attachment as that is also unnatural.

As for the first question, Buddha's teachings themselves are not the only way.
But the key step of "letting go" and emptying ourselves of material attachments and biases and perceptions "IS" universal to all people in the path to receiving truth or wisdom. As one monk said you can practice Buddhism and be Jewish, or Christian, atheist or have no beliefs at all. It is not the only way but it applies to all ways, as part of the spiritual learning process to maturity.

Buddha may serve as a primary example or stage in his lineage of letting go completely in order to receive truth. (Just as Moses was a key figure in the Judeo-Christian lineage of "giving the Scriptural laws" that are fulfilled later in Christ Jesus). But all people can do this step, regardless which path we are on.

So it is a universal truth, but also applies relatively to all people of all followings.

As for how can all souls be saved that came before Buddha or Jesus, the same question can be asked of both followings.

I believe that Jesus' ascension transcends all time and space.
So that when future generations accept salvation and grace through Christ Jesus, and these prayers are applied to all past generations before us and future generations after us, then the cycle of sin and suffering is broken. The souls are saved even though the sins and karma that were not given to Christ before, may manifest later in future generations until all this karma or sin is forgiven and cleansed from humanity.

In Christianity there is teaching of generational curses or sins of past generations revisited upon the fourth and fifth generations. In Buddhism there is teaching of past life karma that if it is not resolved is incarnated again and affects future soul-mates or relations or whole generations.

The cycle is broken by letting go and not attaching ourselves to the patterns of retribution and depending on worldly rewards or conditions. By letting go, by forgiving collectively where Christ Jesus is the center that joins all humanity as one conscience, then we receive salvation and the healing process is connected over all time and space.

All these things we see, even the stages of anger grief and suffering, are part of the stages of the cycle breaking and leading to recovery and healing. This is the spiritual peace that is taught in both Buddhism and Christianity. By opening ourselves to receive perfect Wisdom and Compassion, living in the spirit of Truth and Love.

This requires both Letting go in the mind and forgiveness in the heart.
Both the teachings in Buddhism and Christianity are true, and lead to this path of spiritual peace in the Kingdom of God, on earth as it is in heaven.

Last edited:
I don't feel that Buddhist and Christian teachings should be mixed. The teachings may sometimes complement each other. I think Christians should stay Christian and Buddhists stay Buddhist.

If you're Christian, be the best Christian you can be. If you're a Buddhist, be the best Buddhist you can be.

First question. Prior to the life of Shakyamuni Buddha, the Buddha of our time, there were previous buddhas. Also, Buddhist teaching is that we have all had countless lifetimes. We will continue to incarnate in samsara until we are completely liberated. All beings will eventually be completely liberated.

Second question. The Dalai Lama says that every human being has the potential to create happiness. It is taught that suffering is created by grasping (desire). We want things and we don't always get what we want, so we suffer. We also get things we don't want and we suffer.

It's not that we try and resist attachment. As human beings, we can't help ourselves with that. What we can do is increase our love. For example, love is the wish for another to be happy. It is NOT the neurotic attachment of romantic love that holds that we love this person because he or she satisifies our needs. If we truly love someone, then we can let them go if someone else would make them happier.

It's a strong practice. Human beings are a mix of qualites, some love and some attachment.

Ok, thank you for the reply - I didn't know there were previous Buddhas.

In regard to suffering, what about people who have diseases, or are blind, deaf, in a wheelchair, have chronic body pain, etc? None of those have anything to do with desire, so how do Buddists deal with those types of suffering?

In regard to suffering, what about people who have diseases, or are blind, deaf, in a wheelchair, have chronic body pain, etc? None of those have anything to do with desire, so how do Buddists deal with those types of suffering?

Buddhists deal with the suffering of diseases the same way Christians do, with kindness. There is a certain amount of suffering inherent in human existence. There is suffering in birth, aging, sickness and dying.

There is a teaching called the Four Noble Truths which is about suffering, the causes of suffering, the cessation of suffering, and the path that leads to the cessation of suffering.

It's the first Buddhist teaching I ever heard and is a part of my story of why I became a Buddhist.

The second question is easier to clarify.

Buddha's teachings are not about rejecting desire, but not becoming attached to FALSE material desire as in "coveting" that which is not naturally ours. This is similar to Christian teachings about not being of the world, not clinging to material rewards or wealth to the point we lose our spiritual peace and life. He who gives up his life shall find it, he who clings to it shall lose it.

If Buddha were teaching to "strive" to avoid desire, that would contradict Buddha's teachings against striving! The middle way is about letting go, neither clinging or seeking extreme happiness that becomes out of balance and unnatural, nor seeking extreme suffering or avoidance of happiness to prevent forming attachment as that is also unnatural.

As for the first question, Buddha's teachings themselves are not the only way.
But the key step of "letting go" and emptying ourselves of material attachments and biases and perceptions "IS" universal to all people in the path to receiving truth or wisdom. As one monk said you can practice Buddhism and be Jewish, or Christian, atheist or have no beliefs at all. It is not the only way but it applies to all ways, as part of the spiritual learning process to maturity.

Buddha may serve as a primary example or stage in his lineage of letting go completely in order to receive truth. (Just as Moses was a key figure in the Judeo-Christian lineage of "giving the Scriptural laws" that are fulfilled later in Christ Jesus). But all people can do this step, regardless which path we are on.

So it is a universal truth, but also applies relatively to all people of all followings.

As for how can all souls be saved that came before Buddha or Jesus, the same question can be asked of both followings.

I believe that Jesus' ascension transcends all time and space.
So that when future generations accept salvation and grace through Christ Jesus, and these prayers are applied to all past generations before us and future generations after us, then the cycle of sin and suffering is broken. The souls are saved even though the sins and karma that were not given to Christ before, may manifest later in future generations until all this karma or sin is forgiven and cleansed from humanity.

In Christianity there is teaching of generational curses or sins of past generations revisited upon the fourth and fifth generations. In Buddhism there is teaching of past life karma that if it is not resolved is incarnated again and affects future soul-mates or relations or whole generations.

The cycle is broken by letting go and not attaching ourselves to the patterns of retribution and depending on worldly rewards or conditions. By letting go, by forgiving collectively where Christ Jesus is the center that joins all humanity as one conscience, then we receive salvation and the healing process is connected over all time and space.

All these things we see, even the stages of anger grief and suffering, are part of the stages of the cycle breaking and leading to recovery and healing. This is the spiritual peace that is taught in both Buddhism and Christianity. By opening ourselves to receive perfect Wisdom and Compassion, living in the spirit of Truth and Love.

This requires both Letting go in the mind and forgiveness in the heart.
Both the teachings in Buddhism and Christianity are true, and lead to this path of spiritual peace in the Kingdom of God, on earth as it is in heaven.

Thank you also for your reply. I realize this topic is about Buddism, but you said something at the end which I'd like to ask more about please. I understand that you yourself believe that Buddhism and Christianity are true. I just want to say that I don't believe that myself personaly, and I wanted to share with you why - because of what Jesus said.

Have you by chance yet seen the following verses of what Jesus said?.. Either way, how do you combine the two after what Jesus said?

John 14:6
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Acts 4: 11 Jesus is “‘the stone you builders rejected, which has become the cornerstone.’
12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”

John 10:7
Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep.

Matthew 7:13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

So how do you correlate those verses with your belief and/or statement that Christianity and Buddhism is truth?

Buddhists deal with the suffering of diseases the same way Christians do, with kindness. There is a certain amount of suffering inherent in human existence. There is suffering in birth, aging, sickness and dying.

There is a teaching called the Four Noble Truths which is about suffering, the causes of suffering, the cessation of suffering, and the path that leads to the cessation of suffering.

It's the first Buddhist teaching I ever heard and is a part of my story of why I became a Buddhist.

Ok thank you. But, no I mean, (and sorry, this may be going over my head) but if Buddhists believe that "suffering" comes from "desire or coveting", how does Buddism explain the "suffering" that comes about from things like that? Or suffering that comes about from other things too? From other peoples wrong doings to others? You know what I mean? If someone was raped, emotionally or sexually or abused, etc. Those types of sufferings are real actual sufferings where the person was a victim, right? A victim of other people's wrong doings. Do you know what I'm asking? I'm trying to word it right, but may not be coming out correctly..lol, sorry.

Thank you also for your reply. I realize this topic is about Buddism, but you said something at the end which I'd like to ask more about please. I understand that you yourself believe that Buddhism and Christianity are true. I just want to say that I don't believe that myself personaly, and I wanted to share with you why - because of what Jesus said.

Have you by chance yet seen the following verses of what Jesus said?.. Either way, how do you combine the two after what Jesus said?

Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep.

Matthew 7:13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

So how do you correlate those verses with your belief and/or statement that Christianity and Buddhism is truth?

Hi Marie: There are several different ways I could explain this
1. first of all, I believe that Jesus fulfills both the natural laws of man and the divine laws of God. He governs both the believers under church laws and the gentiles under natural laws as two folds of the one flock. In Christ there are no Jews or gentiles but all are one, all fulfilled in Christ Jesus. I believe the Buddhists teach and follow natural laws, as do the Constitutionalists and atheists/nontheist/scientists who study and understand truth through science etc. So all these truths and laws are equally fulfilled in the spirit of truth that is established in Christ Jesus.
2. Also about the narrow road, if you look where we agree on truth, that sets us free from division and strife. Anyone can take parts of this or that, and cling to where we disagree and remain divided. The whole world has been to war over this, the path of destruction, of I'm right you're wrong, destroys relations and damages generation after generation.
But if we seek agreement on truth in Christ Jesus, then we are made one.
The Bible says that the different tribes will come together in Christ.
That every knee shall bow and "tongue shall confess.
Well all the different religious tribes are like different languages for the laws.
And Jesus is Lord of all lords, authority over all laws, natural or divine, on earth or heaven.
See Colossians 1:16 where all authorities visible or invisible are created by and given to God for his purposes.
So Jesus is Lord of all.
3. for an analogy I would compare the Constitutional laws that all the states are under, and the local state laws that differ by region or population. We may all submit to the "law of the land" that governs us all, but still submit to our local laws governing our lives.
that does not contradict there being one law or one government for all.
The different states, or even different levels of law, do not have to be in conflict with each other.

And in Christ Jesus, I believe any conflicts can be corrected so truth and justice are established, no matter what law you are trying to enforce or live by.

The spirit of "restorative justice" allows for forgiveness and correction, both grace as well as accountability and even restitution in order to restore good faith relations with all people. So that is the spirit of Christ Jesus I believe fulfills every law and every path.

I am a Constitutionalist also. Probably that more than a Buddhist.
I believe that people are the government, by taking the laws to heart by conscience and enforcing these ourselves with shared responsibility, the same way Christianity teaches that people are the church, or the body of Christ united under one law.

I believe the natural laws are harmonious with the divine laws, though these are separate audiences and realms of jurisdiction and representation.

Because Jesus is both man and God he fulfills both and joins these in perfect peace and justice, being the one mediator that allows the establishment of the spirit of truth that sets us free from division and strife.

4. As for Buddhism, it has been explained this way that the same way Moses brought the divine laws and established them before Jesus came to fulfill them, then Buddha presented the teachings on the natural laws of cause and effect and where these were heading, which are fulfilled later when humanity reaches spiritual maturity. So the same way we respect Moses coming before Jesus, without conflict, then Buddha can also bring teachings that do not conflict with Jesus.

Again these laws are given differently. The divine laws are given to Jews, Muslisms, Christians etc. while the natural laws are embraced by nontheists secular gentiles secular humanists, etc. They do not have to be in conflict which can all be resolved. The truth by definition would correct anything that is contrary to it.

Buddhist teachings are based on Wisdom and Compassion.
Christianity on Truth and Love. You can see the parallels right there.
When all th eother laws are followed in this spirit, then all is made right.
I believe that is what it means for us to reach agreement in Christ Jesus
and to realize full spiritual maturity and heavenly peace or the Kingdom of God.

Last edited:

Ok thank you. But, no I mean, (and sorry, this may be going over my head) but if Buddhists believe that "suffering" comes from "desire or coveting", how does Buddism explain the "suffering" that comes about from things like that? Or suffering that comes about from other things too? From other peoples wrong doings to others? You know what I mean? If someone was raped, emotionally or sexually or abused, etc. Those types of sufferings are real actual sufferings where the person was a victim, right? A victim of other people's wrong doings. Do you know what I'm asking? I'm trying to word it right, but may not be coming out correctly..lol, sorry.

There is more than one way to translate the word. Desire is not the best translation. Grasping is a better translation of what causes suffering.

It sounds like what you're struggling to understand are the teachings on karma, not suffering.

Let me know if I'm off the mark or on it.

Hi Marie: regarding suffering from actions caused by other people

The way one of my friends explained how he came to terms with this:

he decided that some of the suffering he went through from abuse from others
was somehow linked to past karma that was repeating from elsewhere.
It could be from this lifetime or beyond this life.
It could be future repercussions that occurred early in time instead of after their causes since karma is not necessarily linear in time. both the cause and the effect can be co-influenced or written in the script of life together.

For him to believe in justice, he had to believe that he is equally implicated
or responsible for his suffering as anyone else in the world has to deal with theirs.

(I asked him if he was okay with equating Jesus with this idea of divine justice that goes beyond our human conditions on justice as we know it, and he said he could see that)

As for karma, I think Sky made a good point that this may be what you are asking.

There is some karma or consequences that are directly our own doing.
Such as imposing on other people, so that they equally impose on you in return.

There is some karma that is not something we can prevent in advance or do something to change directly, though we can change things after the fact.

For example, if a person has such a bad drinking problem, and denial where even their family cannot help them; what if that person gets in the car and kills an innocent person that had nothing to do with their problem?

The problem is "we as society" did not do more to find out this person had a problem and to take preventative steps for safety before someone got killed. So all society suffers, in the form of an innocent person dying. People who see this grieve and feel mixed emotions who had nothing to do with either party. So it motivates change, so in the future more will be done to intervene to prevent the death from happening if at all possible.

Until we learn how to do this perfectly, other people continue to drive drunk and to kill others. So eventually this cycle of abuse and unresolved issues has to be broken to stop the pain and death and suffering of innocent people.

it happens as a consequence or symptom that some problem is not being solved, something is out of balance and not healthy or in harmony. So we all suffer for it.

I hope that helps.
I guess it is similar to the Christian idea of sin being passed down until the cycle is broken in Christ Jesus. We can forgive sins and give these to Christ insetad of carrying retribution in our hearts. When we make this commitment, and answer all injustice with mercy love and correction instead of judgment or punishment, we can break the cycle this way, htorugh Christ Jesus. until then, some sins from the past will continue to manifest until all are given over to this process of restorative justice, correction and healing.

I believe I am both. As the Messianic Jews who are Christian but continue to express and practice their beliefs in the Jewish traditions.

Yes, I have some things that are best expressed using Christianity alone, or Buddhism alone. It depends what audience is being addressed also, which one is used.

And some of my ideas are easier to express using a combination of both, not either or.
Since we are a mix of audience and backgrounds here, my messages will probably come out as a mix as well. Some of my ideas cross over, and require both to explain in full.

I don't feel that Buddhist and Christian teachings should be mixed. The teachings may sometimes complement each other. I think Christians should stay Christian and Buddhists stay Buddhist.

If you're Christian, be the best Christian you can be. If you're a Buddhist, be the best Buddhist you can be.

BTW Sky perhaps you bring up an interesting point. Perhaps our jobs here are different. And you are meant to present Buddhism in contrast to Christianity. While I obviously have a different take on it from the viewpoint of reconciling the two.

So where you and I agree on Buddhism, THAT part would be free from cultural bias, and would be true of Buddhist teachings no matter what our personal context is. I see it is very helpful to have both you and I, including our personal biases, both on here together!

The only thing I had to correct about anything you said so far, when you described the Middle way as "meditation" I said the middle way is "moderation" or balance to make sure we are in harmony with life. Meditation is just the method of checking ourselves, a major part of the practice, in order to fulfill our path. But it is not the path itself. Other than that, I did not disagree with what you have said here, only that one point.

Last edited:

Yes, I agree in a sense. Personally, as for me, I mean... if I were to add Buddha to my faith in Jesus Christ, I'd feel like I was sinning. As far as I understand, God doesn't want us to turn to other things like mediums, spiritists, which for me, would be Buddhism. Some of the teachings are totally different like when it comes to sinning against our Holy God, and also the "Nirvana" with Buddhism.

It could be future repercussions that occurred early in time instead of after their causes since karma is not necessarily linear in time. both the cause and the effect can be co-influenced or written in the script of life together.

or responsible for his suffering as anyone else in the world has to deal with theirs.

(I asked him if he was okay with equating Jesus with this idea of divine justice that goes beyond our human conditions on justice as we know it, and he said he could see that)

As for karma, I think Sky made a good point that this may be what you are asking.

There is some karma that is not something we can prevent in advance or do something to change directly, though we can change things after the fact.

For example, if a person has such a bad drinking problem, and denial where even their family cannot help them; what if that person gets in the car and kills an innocent person that had nothing to do with their problem?

The problem is "we as society" did not do more to find out this person had a problem and to take preventative steps for safety before someone got killed. So all society suffers, in the form of an innocent person dying. People who see this grieve and feel mixed emotions who had nothing to do with either party. So it motivates change, so in the future more will be done to intervene to prevent the death from happening if at all possible.

Until we learn how to do this perfectly, other people continue to drive drunk and to kill others. So eventually this cycle of abuse and unresolved issues has to be broken to stop the pain and death and suffering of innocent people.

it happens as a consequence or symptom that some problem is not being solved, something is out of balance and not healthy or in harmony. So we all suffer for it.

I hope that helps.
I guess it is similar to the Christian idea of sin being passed down until the cycle is broken in Christ Jesus. We can forgive sins and give these to Christ insetad of carrying retribution in our hearts. When we make this commitment, and answer all injustice with mercy love and correction instead of judgment or punishment, we can break the cycle this way, htorugh Christ Jesus. until then, some sins from the past will continue to manifest until all are given over to this process of restorative justice, correction and healing.

Yes, it helps, thank you. It's interesting to see the differences between you and Sky.

And moreover --Awesome!! You know that Jesus Christ is our Lord! That isn't revealed to us by "man"! It's from Him! Praise Jesus!

I know you are entitled to what you believe. We aren't supposed to judge. Sooo... what I want to say and share with you, please take as an encouragement from me only. An encouragement to look at some verses, and then a link about comparing our God to Buddha, etc. Please know that I'm not looking down my nose at you, or yuck, nor should I! haha. Just want to share. And the Lord knows I have my own things He's dealing with me with, I'm not perfect. Besides, overall its between you and Jesus, and that is what is most important. :) We know He loves us so much, we are so blessed.

Here is an article from a Christian site that answers alot of questions in the Bible. It talks here a little bit about Buddism, and also contrasts it with Christianity. I'll just quote the last paragraph; there is alot to read.

What is Buddhism and what do Buddhists believe?

"Buddhism teaches that Nirvana is the highest state of being, a state of pure being, and it is achieved by means relative to the individual. Nirvana defies rational explanation and logical ordering and therefore cannot be taught, only realized. Jesus’ teaching on heaven, in contrast, was quite specific. He taught us that our physical bodies die but our souls ascend to be with Him in heaven (Mark 12:25). The Buddha taught that people do not have individual souls, for the individual self or ego is an illusion. For Buddhists there is no merciful Father in heaven who sent His Son to die for our souls, for our salvation, to provide the way for us to reach His glory. Ultimately, that is why Buddhism is to be rejected.

Just from that paragraph alone, do you see the differences or how it contrasts? Feel free to take your time, no rush in getting back and thank you again.

Oh and PS - some of the verses that to me anyhow, say stay away from something like Buddhism, as it would kinda like a "spiritual adultery".

Leviticus 19:31
“‘Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 20:6
“‘I will set my face against anyone who turns to mediums and spiritists to prostitute themselves by following them, and I will cut them off from their people.

Last edited:

I hope that helps.

Yes, it helps, thank you. It's interesting to see the differences between you and Sky.

And moreover --Awesome!! You know that Jesus Christ is our Lord! That isn't revealed to us by "man"! It's from Him! Praise Jesus!

I know you are entitled to what you believe. We aren't supposed to judge. Sooo... what I want to say and share with you, please take as an encouragement from me only. An encouragement to look at some verses, and then a link about comparing our God to Buddha, etc. Please know that I'm not looking down my nose at you, or yuck, nor should I! haha. Just want to share. And the Lord knows I have my own things He's dealing with me with, I'm not perfect. Besides, overall its between you and Jesus, and that is what is most important. :) We know He loves us so much, we are so blessed.

Here is an article from a Christian site that answers alot of questions in the Bible. It talks here a little bit about Buddism, and also contrasts it with Christianity. I'll just quote the last paragraph; there is alot to read.

"Buddhism teaches that Nirvana is the highest state of being, a state of pure being, and it is achieved by means relative to the individual. Nirvana defies rational explanation and logical ordering and therefore cannot be taught, only realized. Jesus’ teaching on heaven, in contrast, was quite specific. He taught us that our physical bodies die but our souls ascend to be with Him in heaven (Mark 12:25). The Buddha taught that people do not have individual souls, for the individual self or ego is an illusion. For Buddhists there is no merciful Father in heaven who sent His Son to die for our souls, for our salvation, to provide the way for us to reach His glory. Ultimately, that is why Buddhism is to be rejected.

Just from that paragraph alone, do you see the differences or how it contrasts? Feel free to take your time, no rush in getting back and thank you again.

Oh and PS - some of the verses that to me anyhow, say stay away from something like Buddhism, as it would kinda like a "spiritual adultery".

“‘Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them. I am the LORD your God.

“‘I will set my face against anyone who turns to mediums and spiritists to prostitute themselves by following them, and I will cut them off from their people.

If you get all your information about Buddhism from a Christian site you are likely to be getting misinformation or information out of context.

You're also getting Christian bias.

That's ok. I'm just saying that if you want to know more about Buddhism for it's own sake consult a Buddhist site or talk to a Buddhist.

Emily is a Christian.

Yes, I agree in a sense. Personally, as for me, I mean... if I were to add Buddha to my faith in Jesus Christ, I'd feel like I was sinning. As far as I understand, God doesn't want us to turn to other things like mediums, spiritists, which for me, would be Buddhism. Some of the teachings are totally different like when it comes to sinning against our Holy God, and also the "Nirvana" with Buddhism.

If God doesn't want you to turn to Buddhism why are you talking to Buddhists? To try and convert us? Wouldn't any form of communication with Buddhists other than to convert us be a sin to you?

'Nirvana' is not a universal Buddhist concept by the way.

Last edited:
Hi Marie: Thank you for your detailed reply and background on where you are coming from. Because we are both thinking so differently about what these things mean, it may take time to sort our what you are saying from what I am saying. I believe your points and mine are both valid, and do not have to contradict once we resolve where that is coming from.

I will reply later in more detail.
Just for now:
1. I agree about avoiding spiritism and false manipulation of spiritual forces that is out of harmony and more guided by selfish desire. Not only are these forces negative, but they clash with the positive healing energy, and can cause catastrophic disruptions or death. Of my friends who have played with the occult, they all suffered inexplicable curse-like attacks or deaths among their friends, and that is why I referred them to get spiritual deliverance help to break out of that cycle and not go there again.

However, Buddhism is not any of that.
If anything, Buddha taught to avoid religious attachment and dependence on any such thing, especially false desires or beliefs. So Buddhism would ultimately agree with Christianity in this area, though would still leave it for people to study and decide for themselves, based on reason, why you would want to abstain from false practices (instead of just taking this on blind faith).

In general spiritism involving false or selfish manipulation would be contrary to Buddhism which is letting go of anything false, in order to seek natural balance and spiritual harmony.

You would find natural spiritual peace and wisdom by "letting go" -- not by actively manipulating or striving by manmade effort which playing with spiritsm involves. Whatever factors make spiritism unnatural or falsely motivated,
Buddhist practices and teachings would advise to refrain or avoid those things.

They are not only unnatural, but cause suffering and foment false desire.
So these cannot be in harmony with Buddhism.

2. As for Nirvana, I disagree with many misteachings of this even among Buddhists.
a. First instead of misinterpreting "nothingness" as seeking "self-annihilation"
I would compare it to being "completely selfless" where you are in harmony with all things equally as part of creation and life. You do not cling to things out of convenience based on your "self" but consider the effect of all things to the whole, not just from your viewpoint, but with open awareness of all things in perspective.
b. As for reaching a final state of "pureland" or complete spiritual peace and end to suffering. The Buddhist monk who explained it best compared it to the Kingdom of God, or spiritual peace that dwells inside. You do not have to die physically to achieve this. (Ironically I find as many Christians as Buddhists who look to final stages "after death beyond this life" whereas I focus on relations "in this lifetime" to establish the Kingdom of God as "heaven on earth.")

I believe it is true what Buddha taught about letting go of all attachments to all things, especially thoughts and beliefs, as he did before his awareness of universal truth and wisdom came to him this way, by letting go.

I believe he presented in vague symbolic terms about the future stages of where spiritual enightenment and maturity would come for all people, and that future Buddhas would come and teach later. To borrow from the Bahai, they teach that all these spiritual leaders build in a progression, addressing different cultural audiences and periods of history.

That is where I believe that angels and prophets and teachers who have come later to bring Christ's message are the rest of the path and the vision that Buddha foresaw. There would not need to be future Buddhas if Buddha's vision was complete in itself; obviously as humanity goes through stages, then as we come closer to the final stages, different prophets would come in to teach those next steps with more specific clarity.

The key concept I see in Buddha's example was the critical turning point of letting go, and continuing this mindfulness by comparing our evaluations against the principles of wisdom and compassion for all, so anything that is not of this standard, we let go of that to open ourselves up to improving and receiving perfect wisdom and compassion as the goal and the path in life. Again, not by false striving, as if the end is more important, but living and experiencing the process and journey as peace in itself.

I believe this helps us to better "love God with all our hearts MINDS and souls"
The more we are "aware" of biases or emotional attachments that affect our judgment,
we can purify our minds and see more clearly what God's truth is in all matters.

I hope that helps.

I will reply more later.
In short, neither Buddha is a god nor is a substitute for Christ or God.
Developing our buddha nature or becoming a buddha is like being an angel.
Anyone can be like an angel without having to die first to go to heaven, we can live in "heaven on earth" by acting as angels would, serving and helping one another.
That is like all being children of God.

Buddha was not to be worshipped like God.
People pay him great respect because he brought Wisdom that comes from God.

So I don't see any conflict with Buddha and Jesus or God.
Moses brought laws, the Founding Fathers gave us laws that we revere today,
and them for their role in that. These are not in conflict with God or Jesus.
Einstein is almost worshipped like a god, yet he is not in conflict either.

There are many Buddhas that bring knowledge or wisdom that influence and inspire great change in the world, not just in religion but in science or other fields also.

These do not compete or conflict with Jesus or God, just like the many angels and messengers in the Bible do not compete. If there is any conflicting information in the content of the messages or teachings, that can be resolved in Christ Jesus, so the truth is established and any falseness is corrected.

Again I refer to Colossians 1:16 that all authorities are created by and given to God.
Since Jesus is Lord of lords, King of kings, and authority over the realm of man,
then all other authorities and dominions answer to his standards.

Whatever you fear about Buddhism that is impure, when you let go of that, and reject those impure false things, then what is true and pure in Buddhism that is left is in line with God's truth and wisdom in the Bible. Anything the Bible would tell you to abstain from, Buddhism would teach the same thing. The difference is that Buddhism would explain it in terms of "suffering" caused by the false things; and Christianity explains it in terms of sin.

But they would both agree that the wrong things should be avoided.
They are just two different witnesses to the same conclusions.

P.S. I can tell this is going to be a deep discussion. I look forward to hearing and sharing more,
and apologize this is not very well organized and will take time to explore in full.

With my spiritual experience, I received an explosive vision of how the past and future were connected as one truth like a story being played out, and that this was symbolized in the Bible with Jesus and the salvation process, as well as in Buddhism with the enlightenment process. But I had never studied either Christianity or Buddhism at the time I received this vision that all were coming together as one in agreement on God's truth that would unify all humanity, east and west, all religions, all nations, even with our diversity intact. So this was a nonverbal vision and then I had to go back and study how the different traditions teach this path and process to get to God's one universal truth.

I did not get the real import or impact behind any of Buddha's teachings or the Bible or Christianity
until I received this vision, And then all of it made sense. It was all true, and any contradictions
in interpretation can be resolved, just like with the misunderstandings and abuses of Bible scripture
that are not the real message in Christianity either. There are misperceptions misteachings of both,
that woud have to be set aside in order to focus on the real message and teachings in these and all religions.
Only the truth in all religions will be in accord.

So that is the narrow path in the Bible, where all things agree in truth. A very fine focus indeed.
All the other misinterpretations and misunderstandings will be put away, in order to reveal the real truth.

Last edited:

Hi Marie: There are several different ways I could explain this
1. first of all, I believe that Jesus fulfills both the natural laws of man and the divine laws of God. He governs both the believers under church laws and the gentiles under natural laws as two folds of the one flock. In Christ there are no Jews or gentiles but all are one, all fulfilled in Christ Jesus. I believe the Buddhists teach and follow natural laws, as do the Constitutionalists and atheists/nontheist/scientists who study and understand truth through science etc. So all these truths and laws are equally fulfilled in the spirit of truth that is established in Christ Jesus.2. Also about the narrow road, if you look where we agree on truth, that sets us free from division and strife. Anyone can take parts of this or that, and cling to where we disagree and remain divided. The whole world has been to war over this, the path of destruction, of I'm right you're wrong, destroys relations and damages generation after generation.
But if we seek agreement on truth in Christ Jesus, then we are made one.
The Bible says that the different tribes will come together in Christ.
That every knee shall bow and "tongue shall confess.
Well all the different religious tribes are like different languages for the laws.
And Jesus is Lord of all lords, authority over all laws, natural or divine, on earth or heaven.
See Colossians 1:16 where all authorities visible or invisible are created by and given to God for his purposes.
So Jesus is Lord of all.
3. for an analogy I would compare the Constitutional laws that all the states are under, and the local state laws that differ by region or population. We may all submit to the "law of the land" that governs us all, but still submit to our local laws governing our lives.
that does not contradict there being one law or one government for all.
The different states, or even different levels of law, do not have to be in conflict with each other.

And in Christ Jesus, I believe any conflicts can be corrected so truth and justice are established, no matter what law you are trying to enforce or live by.

The spirit of "restorative justice" allows for forgiveness and correction, both grace as well as accountability and even restitution in order to restore good faith relations with all people. So that is the spirit of Christ Jesus I believe fulfills every law and every path.

I am a Constitutionalist also. Probably that more than a Buddhist.
I believe that people are the government, by taking the laws to heart by conscience and enforcing these ourselves with shared responsibility, the same way Christianity teaches that people are the church, or the body of Christ united under one law.

I believe the natural laws are harmonious with the divine laws, though these are separate audiences and realms of jurisdiction and representation.

Because Jesus is both man and God he fulfills both and joins these in perfect peace and justice, being the one mediator that allows the establishment of the spirit of truth that sets us free from division and strife.

4. As for Buddhism, it has been explained this way that the same way Moses brought the divine laws and established them before Jesus came to fulfill them, then Buddha presented the teachings on the natural laws of cause and effect and where these were heading, which are fulfilled later when humanity reaches spiritual maturity. So the same way we respect Moses coming before Jesus, without conflict, then Buddha can also bring teachings that do not conflict with Jesus.

Again these laws are given differently. The divine laws are given to Jews, Muslisms, Christians etc. while the natural laws are embraced by nontheists secular gentiles secular humanists, etc. They do not have to be in conflict which can all be resolved. The truth by definition would correct anything that is contrary to it.

Buddhist teachings are based on Wisdom and Compassion.
Christianity on Truth and Love. You can see the parallels right there.
When all th eother laws are followed in this spirit, then all is made right.
I believe that is what it means for us to reach agreement in Christ Jesus
and to realize full spiritual maturity and heavenly peace or the Kingdom of God.

For the part that I bolded, they are only all one, fulfilled in Jesus Christ if they accept Jesus Christ as their savior and the one true path to salvation. I'm not sure what your meaning is behind all of them being 'equally fulfilled' through Jesus Christ? Are you implying that you could follow any of those paths and be 'equally fulfilled' through Jesus Christ without being a Christian and believing in the salvation of Jesus Christ?

I hope that helps.

But, humanity will never achieve perfection, we are not 'perfect' beings, we were not created that way. 'All' will never 'give over to this process of restorative justice, correction, and healing'. If you believe in the salvation of Christ and the Bible, sin is always present, it's a by product of being human.

Forum List

Back